Start by marking “The Man of Cloud 9” as Want to Read:
The Man of Cloud 9

The Man of Cloud 9

Seventy years from now, climate change has damaged the world, and civilization has lost its appetite for radical dreamers and innovation. Niko Rafaelo believes that the key to our future lies in revisiting a banned technology, and binding it with the human microbial cloud (the bacteria that surrounds each person). Cut from the same cloth as his Silicon Valley heroes of his ...more
Paperback, 1, 366 pages
Published September 30th 2016 by ADZO Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Man of Cloud 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of Cloud 9

Joseph Jeffery
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is an advanced review so I'll be as spoiler free as possible.

Steve Jobs + Corporate Espionage + insanely cool future tech. That's what you're looking at. A condensed biography of a genius in a future that feels far too real at times. The world presented to the reader is one of devestation - physical in how badly the world has been scarred by changes in climate, but also one that seems broken by abuses of technology, and legislation. There's a feeling of hopelessness that makes this much dar
Ilana Maletz
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Man of Cloud Nine is a definite page turner. It follows the life and accomplishments of Niko Rafaelo, a technological genius who is especially driven in furthering nano cloud technology. His motives are good; he is trying to help heal and advance humanity as it attempts to recover from catastrophic environmental damage to the planet. We see Niko’s life in series of watershed moments over the course of eighteen years. His bold research becomes a race against time, as old enemies and failing h ...more
Heidi Angell
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I absolutely loved this book! Rene Auberjonois was right, this is a unique and insightful story with a fantastic take on the future world grounded in modern technology and very realistic! I absolutely loved following Niko in his visionary ventures dealing with a world that had become afraid of technology and had banned certain lines of development because of their fear.

Adam Dreece creates a very realistic future dystopia where technology has been halted in many aspects because we grew fast
Margo James
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's funny I was asked to read and review this book. My husband and I have a little place on the Arkansas river that we retired to. We call it Cloud9 because it's our happy place. So I was excited to get this book. Niko's cloud9 was the production after the release of NanoCloud8, so not the same meaning but I believe the same idea. We know we have to keep pushing the boundaries of science and technology or we could lose all we have gained because our base will be outdated quickly. There are alwa ...more
Bonnie Dale Keck
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Kindle Unlimited and got it from one of my freebie sites that don't show up as the ones do that link to amazon from my freebie sites. As an ex computer tech and also reader of sci-fi found it definitely interesting. Have read the writer's Yellow Hoods collection {including the prequel} so wanted to see what else type subjects he wrote on.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars

This is the kind of science fiction novel that will appeal to people who don't typically read science fiction. Even though the story revolves around futuristic technology, this is more of a story of people than science. I would even be tempted to classify this novel as literary fiction, rather than science fiction. This novel explores themes of determination, ethics, innovation and relationships. The writing is smooth, easy to read and straightforward. Personally, my favourite aspect of
Katrina
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The biography of a man who changed a world we don't know.

The Man of Cloud 9 isn't what you're expecting on several levels. Dreece presents you a character that you won't get to know well, any more than you got to know Steve Jobs. It's set in our future, but we don't explore the way we would in typical science fiction. Instead, we either pick up on what the characters take for granted, or we wish we could kick the doors down and see for ourselves.

And yet, for all its remote nature, the tone is
Dawn Hebert
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Had I not spoken with Adam, and purchased this book upon conversation, I would never have guessed this book was written by the same man who wrote the yellow hood series. I was completely blown away by the difference in writing, but it was a very good read.

It is kind of like a biography mixed with loads of tech. I'm not normally one to read books such as this, so I will tell you now, if you desire action this is so not the book for you. However, I found a very compelling story behind it, followi
Erin Sneath
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s rare to find a hard science fiction novel that is so personal, so intimate. In The Man of Cloud 9, the tech is an expression of everything protagonist Niko Rafaelo is, and society expresses itself through his tech. Because of this, even those of us who are easily bored by technobabble will stay engaged and have trouble putting the book down. It’s all thematically connected. Even in scenes that could have easily been marred by dry info dumps, Dreece parcels out the necessary information thro ...more
Fred Hughes
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book. Just like the iPhone this is a story of an ever increasing market share for a nanite application. Each new version is announced via a great show.

But the creative genius behind it is bored with the incremental nature of the product and wants to leap ahead. So while the company in working on version 6 he is working on version 9.

Soon there is competition and both the genius and his company are brought to their knees. Can they recover ? What is the truth behind version 9 ?

Read the book
Dr. PA
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Man of Cloud 9 takes place in a brilliantly creative new world, within a high tech business start-up atmosphere. The 'body' is the next frontier, and Adam Dreece has creatively integrated technology with the body to come up with a fantastical way people use their body with knowledge.

Niko, the hero, is an amalgamation of all the genius innovators of our time, and this is done so well. The reader very quickly enters a world of nanoclouds, nonobots and a new type of airplane that defies nature
Patrick Nichol
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Normally a Young Adult author, Adam Dreece has crafted a fascinating look at futuristic computer skullduggery.
We follow genius inventor Niko Raphaelo, a Steve Jobs type whose creation of nano-clouds allows people to immerse themselves in their computer programs.
This revolutionary technology draws the ire of a former girlfriend who ruthlessly steals his company.
As a Sci-fi novel Dreece deftly shows a world where you can do anything by waving your hand or nodding your head.
But a new operating s
Brad Fonseca
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take a familiar world of the near future and insert a driven main character who fights against long odds to make his dream a reality. Then, watch as his own success becomes his greatest challenge.

This one was a real page-turner for me. It gave the reader a view into how technology start-ups struggle to "grow up" along with their founders. It also presented a mystery in the main character, Nick Rafaelo. You get a peak into what he's thinking but you never see his long play until the end of the b
Lorraine
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Set in the near future, in a world of new start-up businesses and ruthless companies, this book is an intimate and up-close look at the life of Niko Rafaelo, a genius innovator of nano-technology.

Niko and the cast of supporting characters are well fleshed out and the relationships between them are well written and believable.

It's an interesting and imaginative book, that kept me turning the pages.

Matt Hunt
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me in the first few pages. The attention to detail as well as the marvellous/haunting vision of the future made this a wonderful read. As a side note the imagination and description of the use of technology in the future was a treat.
Jordon Greene
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

Coming from a development background professionally it was neat reading a story which took that and built a story around and with such. I really enjoyed Man on Cloud 9. It's not what I'd typically expect of science fiction but it definitely kept me coming back for more.
Stephanie Galay
An interesting start hooked me. The characters are well developed. This book did not fall into my usual genre but I really enjoyed it. Adam Dreece does a great job of making you care about the characters and want to get to the end and then have you wanting more.
Joshua Hunt
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read, and good look at a possible future of technology.
Rob Lauer
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I met Adam Dreece at the local Expo and purchased his latest novel. Here is my review. Are you looking for a wonderful Sci fi novel that is a truly evocative character piece? Want to root for the underdog? how about enjoy an excellent novel? Then look no further. Adam Dreece has knocked it out of the stratosphere With this thought provoking read. Pick it up and you won't be disappointed.
Tammy Lyn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a genre I usually read, but found it enjoyable.
J.M. Dover
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
Bryan457
Disappointing.
Snapshots in time of nanobot-social-media genius' early triumphs, over-extension, and eventual collapse.
Erwin Maramat
Palatium Books
Jan 16, 2017
Deb G.
Mar 31, 2018
In 2014, I stopped my "hopefully one day" dream of becoming an author, stopped doing nothing with my writing, and kicked off my indie author life. Twenty-five years of doing nothing with my writing was enough, and after two medical events, I was filled with drive to change my life.

I've written the much loved young adult series, The Yellow Hoods, a world where steampunk and fairy tale meet.

In 2016