Start by marking “Tales from Perach (Mangoverse #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Tales from Perach (Mangoverse #4.5)

Tales from Perach

(Mangoverse #4.5)

Five standalone short stories set in and around the settings for the Mangoverse books: An energetic royal guard takes her artist wife on a scavenger hunt around the city so she can stop having artist's block about the lesbian graphic novel she's supposed to make for the queen. A chef dithers over whether to switch wine sellers when hers is incompetent but the delivery girl ...more
Published July 20th 2016 by Prizm Books

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Perach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from Perach

J.L. Douglas
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(Note that these stories feature characters that have appeared in the Mango novels, but that you absolutely do not need to read those to appreciate them)

This is a varied collection that fleshes out a few Mangoverse side characters in a way that the novels simply cannot. Since these stories are quite different from each other, I’m reviewing each one separately in its own mini-review.

NO WHINING

This one features Yael, the old trans lady chef from Olive Conspiracy, set before her husband died. She’s
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I’ve been on the look out for stories that feature aromantic and_or asexual-spectrum characters, which is why I decided to buy Tales from Perach. It also gave me a great excuse to finally indulge in Shira Glassman’s writing, as I’d been meaning to do so for months. Two birds with one stone!

This is actually Book 4.5 of the Mangoverse series, but I read it before reading any other Mangoverse stories.

The bisexual and Jewish repres
Shira Glassman
Five new fluffy, feel-good fantasy shorts: trans romance, lesbian romance, bi/gay romance, Purim with a dragon, etc.! Some of the happy endings many of us are looking for.
RoAnna Sylver
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Tales from Perach, a set of five supplemental short stories taking place in Shira Glassman's delightful Mangoverse, promises more of the lighthearted fantasy we've come to expect from this sweet but significant and engaging series. And these bite-sized adventures deliver. Each one is a wonderful blend of easy entertainment and humor, irresistible optimism, and important gender, sexuality and religious representation. I can't speak on that last one, since the Mangoverse is Jewish fantasy, includi ...more
Chasia Lloyd
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, quiet collection of five short stories featuring many of the side Mangoverse characters. Tales from Perach offers glimpses into their lives we normally wouldn't get to see. Each story is a standalone, but some contain spoilers for events that happen in some of the books.

"Your Name is Love" centers Hadar & Halleli, set after The Olive Conspiracy, and it's a really cute story about art and magic.

"No Whining" follows chef Yael from The Olive Conspiracy before her husband Aaron died, dur
Kayla Bashe
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's really interesting how fandom tropes have been seeping into the publishing world, but this is the first time I've seen an author write genuine, "nothing happens except snuggling" fluff of their own work. If you like very fluffy fluff, you'll surely like this
Emilie Nantel
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Pure unadulterated fluff about side characters from the Mangoverse. Perfect to satisfy a craving for these characters you fell in love with during the novels.
Charlotte Anne Hamilton
Your Name is Love - that was so cute. seeing sapphic women all happy and fluffy is making my heart whole. they're so precious and I'd probably die if my other half had to plan an adventure for me to help my inspiration. I'm crying!!

No Whining - Yael and Aaron are so damn cute. i love her so much. She's so sweet and soft and kind and yes! this was a nice insight into an awesome side character

Every Us - That was the most adorable thing I have ever read in my life. so freaking cute and fluffy. i
Jennifer Linsky
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good gravy, but I love Perach!

I did have a thought, though, while reading the first story in the collection. In our world, women who are romantically / sexually attracted to each other are named by reference to Sappho -- either she herself (Sapphic, Sapphist) or the island where she lived (Lesbos > Lesbian). In the first story, a woman explains that she and her companion are not sisters, by reference to the Queen. We also know that the Queen is commissioning works of art celebrating the love
Misha
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thnink it was good- it was just hsrd to read. These were me like vignettes or story ideas than fleshed out short stories. Add to that that I've never read the series these are out-takes from, and it wasn't quite as engaging as they should have been. This is the only book my library system had, but I'm trying to get more (2 is coming through loan in my state and maybe I can read that befor committing to others).
Kronda
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-fiction
I read this first, but I would recommend reading it after you get the chance to read the others. I found it cute that Hadar and Halleli went on a scavenger hunt, as one of my go-to flirting tactics. I wouldn't mind seeing a more adult version of this story collection, but as it is this is a good young adult series of filler stories for the background characters of the Mangoverse.
Karen
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories from the Mangoverse. A+. Also really love specifically the Ace inclusion. Shira is great about representation in general but the inclusion of the asexual woman was extra nice. She is in the version that has tales from other lands. The newest release.
Skye
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed lifting up and returning to Perach by dipping in to the short stories was a perfect idea, I love how they are all building their families out of love
Ash
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really adorable fluffy short fiction in the Mangoverse universe. I fully recommend these if you have read and loved any of the other books in this series!
Jessie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's probably easier to get into the stories quickly if you've read other Mangoverse books due to familiarity with the characters, tone, and previous storylines. However, this was also fairly accessible as a standalone.

Things that were particularly fantastic:
*Farzin and Shulamit repeatedly getting distracted when they're supposed to be practicing their Purimspiel lines
*Everything about Yael and Aaron's relationship
*Halleli's creative process
*Rivka and Stella using religious references to communi
Polenth Blake
This is a collection of short stories linked to the main novel series. The original edition contained five stories. I read the updated edition, which also contains two stories previously published as Tales from Outer Lands. I haven't read the novels, though mostly the stories worked on their own and had self-contained plots. An exception was "Every Us", which came across as more of an extra scene for people who know the characters.

"Rivka in Port Saltspray" is the strongest in terms of standing a
Ari
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories were better than others, but five fun romps through the Mangoverse, with positive, fluffy stories of queer folks and families. Bonus points for a romantic scavenger hunt to inspire ethical and plot-based lesbian erotica...
Irina Vérène
A lovely collection of really sweet, mostly light-hearted short stories! I enjoyed them a lot, I was basically smiling all the time while reading the book. Awesome diverse characters, btw. Thank you so much for this little ball of joy and diversity. <3
TheoVonG
Jun 04, 2017
Diane Murray
Feb 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Shira Glassman is a bisexual Jewish violinist passionately inspired by German and French opera and Agatha Christie novels.

She lives in north central Florida, where the alligators are mostly harmless because they're too lazy to be bothered.

A note on my reviewing style: I read lots of books, but writing reviews is work and I only really do them to endorse books that I enjoyed enough to signal boost.

Mangoverse (4 books)
  • The Second Mango (Mangoverse Book 1)
  • Climbing the Date Palm: A labor rights love story (Mangoverse Book 2)
  • A Harvest of Ripe Figs (Mangoverse, #3)
  • The Olive Conspiracy (Mangoverse Book 4)