Start by marking “Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #1-10)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  25,208 Ratings  ·  2,981 Reviews
An illustrated hardback of ten stories about Simon Lewis, star of Cassandra Clare's internationally bestselling series The Mortal Instruments, with a bonus pull-out poster.

Ten illustrated stories following the adventures of Simon Lewis, star of the #1 New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments, as he trains to become a Shadowhunter. Simon has been a human and
Published November 15th 2016 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, please sign up.
Roger Brennand Yes ... and No ...
It kind of depends how deep you want to go into your characters and storylines ... and backstories etc.
Every Cassandra Clare Novel…more
Yes ... and No ...
Every Cassandra Clare Novel (or Novella) is designed to be a "stand alone" story ... so, no you don't have to read anything gone before to pick up the 'gist' of what's going on. BUT ... in order to get the very best out of the story you're reading, understand certain references etc, then yes - it's a good idea to have read what has come before.

I wouldn't stress though ... you can grab 'Tales' once it comes out in hard copy ... and then reread Lady Midnight with a whole new insight (just like a lot have us have done with The Mortal Instruments after The Bane Chronicles were released!) ... The beautiful thing about owning a book!

Lady Midnight is awesome enough to keep you occupied anyway(less)
Lady Winchester yes,it does.after they're released as ebooks,Cassandra puts them together in one volume in print for those that don't do the ebook thing(like me).

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy: 4 stars.
The Lost Herondale: 3 stars.
The Whitechapel Fiend: 5 stars.
Nothing but Shadows: 5 stars.
The Evil We Love: 3 stars.
Pale Kings and Princes: 5 stars.
Bitter of Tongue: 4 stars.
The Fiery Trial: 4 stars.
Born to Endless Night: 5 stars.
Angels Twice Descending: 5 stars.
Emma Giordano
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so happy I decided to reread these! While I of course loved these novellas the first time around, I felt I was able to connect to them better the second time. When I originally read them, I quickly forgot the individual stories but it feels so good to have the fresh in my mind.

I would highly recommend the audiobooks for TFTSA. They're all narrated by a different voice actor and it really added to my reading experience. I had the best time rereading these and definitely feel ready for Lord of
Jaclyn
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I AM IN A PUDDLE OF TEARS BUT THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING! I LOVE THIS WORLD SO MUCH!!!
*weeps*

BOOKTALK HERE: https://youtu.be/kx0YBT40HrA
Josu Grilli
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-1-enero
No sé por dónde empezar. Estoy fascinado.

Según fui leyendo los relatos fui añadiendo pequeñas reseñas cuando los terminaba, así que esta reseña no va a ser muy larga. Aquí tenéis cada status update con las mini-opiniones: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

En estas historias nos encontramos un montón de detalles interesantes sobre el mundo de los cazadores de sombras. No solo descubrimos más datos sobre la época del Círculo, o historias que no conocíamos del Instituto de Londres, sino que v
mith
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-publication
Hey guuuuys! Look, the actual cover is out now!

(I mean I doubt I'll read this bc I'm not a big fan of novellas or bind-ups in general, but y'know, one day.)
Since I was bored and detest calculus homework, I decided to put all the covers of the novellas together.
So, uh, here:
description
and because I have no doubt that's tiny as hell: hopefully, this'll be a higher def.
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

Now, I read Lady Midnight before this, not know it would spoil me a bit, but I still loved reading and learning about some of the backstory to the things I read about in LM!

I was so happy to be with Simon again because Simon was easily one of my top three favs in The Mortal Instruments...hell, even in the entirety of The Shadowhunter Chronicles he's my favorite!

What I also enjoyed about this bindup was how many flashbacks there were! We visited Will & Tessa,
Heather 'Bookables'
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Loved reading this! Wish I read it before Lady Midnight but I still really enjoyed it!
Anastasia
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy is a collection of ten novellas that follows Simon Lewis after the events of City of Heavenly Fire, the last book in the Mortal Instruments series.

Disclaimer: If you haven’t read the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices series there will be spoilers and references ahead.

Simon Lewis has been a human and a vampire, and now he is becoming a Shadowhunter. The events of City of Heavenly Fire left him stripped of his memories, and Simon isn
Victoria ♡
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I...I'm...oh my Gods. 5*'s! All the stars! The end of the last story just I'm almost in tears ahhh!

This was such a good bind up I'm so happy I finally read these short stories! Simon has always been one of my favourite characters and just reading about him at the academy made me so happy, I'm so content my heart is full, Sizzy has sailed again...ugh!

I can't think of a single story in this that I didn't like, I loved the back story and all of the character development so much (Malec oh my Gods)
Alexa ❤️
5 Stars (view spoiler)

I enjoyed each and every story of Simon's journey through Shadow hunter Academy.

Simon's character really developed throughout the story from an unsure mundane who second guessed all of his relationships and despised his past self to a confident and capable shadow hunter.

(view spoiler)
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
THIS WAS FANTASTIC!!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! This is saying a lot because TMI took me over two years to finish. Simon has always been my favorite character and I loved having him as the main focus. I also loved reading about The Last Hour characters and seeing a glimpse of what's to come in The Dark Artifices.

Also, the ending hurt me so much??? Like how could u do that to meeee???
Jiana
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Cait!

I'm not going to go into details with each novella because there's a gazillion of them and I've already some forgotten details here and there.

Rating for each novella:
7) Bitter of Tongue: 5 stars
8) The Fiery Trial: 2.5 stars
9) Born to Endless Night: 4 stars
10) Angels Twi
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"But there had never been a Lightwood who touched his heart, as some Shadowhunters had... Until the Lightwood who was unforgettable; until the Lightwood who had not only touched but taken his heart".

"Pero no había existido un Lightwood que tocara su corazón, como lo habían hecho varios Shadowhunters... Hasta el Lightwood que era inolvidable; hasta el Lightwood que no sólo había tocado su corazón, sino que se lo había robado".

Como les dije desde que leí el primer relato, no le tenía mucha fe a Ta
Caitlin
Buddy read with Jia!

Okay, I liked this book for the most part but there were definitely sections that dragged on that I gave 0 shits about. I think in the end I ended up actually really liking 3 of these novellas, while the other 7 I didn't overly care for. Basically my main problem was the fact that Simon is my least favourite character from TMI. I find him annoying as all hell and I really struggled to get past that. As you'll see, my favourite novellas were ones that he had very limited role
alexandra
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 ☆ i'm a mess of emotions.

i didn't realize but there are a ton of (i guess you could say) side characters i didn't fully appreciate or understand until reading these novellas and i'm so happy my perspective changed. it shows there are more sides to a person you may think.

i'm also surprised by how strongly i appreciated the themes. these novellas are mostly about finding who you are and what YOU want. i fohnd that really surprising because most novella collections are just compilations of "fa
Jacqueline
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars

Technically read this since I read all the individual novellas.
Honestly, not the biggest novella person BUT this is soooo worth the read!
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• I adore the one about James Herondale and Matthew Fairchild. It is so sweet and funny – ahhhh.
• Fuck you, Robert Lightwood, always, but I can finally understand his perspective a bit more – while still being disgusted by his guts, but also, still appreciating that he’s trying to change for his children.
• Helen’s story breaks my heart (and the real fae story is shocking but somewhat eye-opening).
• Jem is always a light in the dark. Seeing how he has been there fo
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. I think the decision to have other authors write these characters is what hurt the stories the most for me. Nobody really sounded like themselves and the tone of each story was really different. The writing in the first one was so stilted that none of the characters even felt human (ok, most weren't but you know what I mean). I either couldn't connect with the writing in some stories or the plot in others. And then Jace still exists...

There were a lot of fun parts, though! I liked se
Irene△⃒⃘
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.8/5

That’s what I really wanted to read about Simon! I hoped to read the reactions he had after everything that had happened to him.
I always liked him, I can relate so much to him, all his nerdiness and stuff, that’s me lol
After the events happened in the main series I thought I’d lost him. I didn’t care if he was taking this journey to become a Shadowhunter, for me he wasn’t the same as he was, no matter what.
AND in this book he is feeling exactly the same, and that's why I mainly loved it.
We
Vanessa
edit, 2017: I was going through my bookshelves (I definitely need to re-organize them, poor creatures) and I stumbled upon my physical copy of TFTSA. I read the e-novellas back to 2015 and then I got a free hardcover bind-copy way later but never planned to re-read them. Not remembering basically anything about the short stories in it, I re-read them all today and
jeez
Was I disappointed.
I remembered liking them quite a lot but re-reading them without any expectations made me feel a bit more cryti
✨    jamieson   ✨
I had so many mixed thoughts coming into this, because there were some elements I knew I'd like (DARK ARTIFICES CHARACTERS APPEARING, MAGNUS & ALEC!) but also some elements I really knew I wouldn't

two massive unpopular opinions I have

1: sizzy is a shit couple
2: simon isn't that interesting of a character. I mean he's okay, but I don't like him that much either

Those elements did, kind of annoy me. But the other elements I knew I'd like I really liked so that kind of counter-balanced my salt.
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
I listened to the audio books of these stories six months ago, and I absolutely loved them. I particularly loved the story which was narrated by the man-crushable Sam Heughan. Wahaha!

Anyway, it was a delight to get to know more about Simon Lewis, who was literally given a clean slate in City of Heavenly Fire. I was able to sympathize with his memory and identity crisis, which inevitably caused a strain in his relationships, whether they be friendly, familial, or romantic. It was admirable how h
rebecca ɤ
❝ You see? I have not forgotten. Every night, no matter what has happened during the day, no matter if I am torn and bloodied or so bone-tired I wish I were dead, I look up at the stars and I give each star a brother’s name or a sister’s face. I will not sleep until I remember every one. The stars will burn out before I forget...❞

FULL THOUGHTS
OVERALL RATING: 4.7 stars (Don't read this caption if you haven't read TMI/TID books)

Review: I was not prepared for these novellas. I read the Bane Chronic
Jill
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Holy god this book moved me, pleasantly surprised me, and completely unexpectedly destroyed me. I'm so mad I didn't read this early because I WAS TOTALLY MISSING OUT. I'll give the individual novellas ratings below, but I really believe this should be taken as a single work. (view spoiler)

Ok I won't go super in-depth... but if you've read all the other Shadowhunter books YOU MUST READ THIS ONE WE GET TO
Jenny
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute.

I read this a while ago, so I don't really remember. I really enjoyed the ones with TID characters. And the one with the Warlock baby.
Marissa
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I really found myself enjoying these novellas and exploring the history behind the Shadowhunter Academy. I knew there was more for Simon than the ending that was destined for him in City of Heavenly Fire.

My heart broke so many times and stitched itself back together in the best way it knows how when it comes to Cassandra Clare's books.

All in all, I'm glad that I decided to spontaneously read this bind-up right as I finished reading City of Heavenly Fire just in time for the release of Lady Midni
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
There were impressive stone paths and benches and even a statue of an angel that gave Simon nervous fits, since he was a Doctor Who fan. The angel wasn’t weeping, exactly, but it looked too depressed for Simon’s liking.

Since this is a collection of short-stories, I'll be rating and reviewing each story individually. Overall rating will be the average of the individual stories' ratings :)

Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy: 5/5 stars
What a wonderful introduction to this short story collection! George
Melissa
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75 stars*

It was so good, up until the last 5 pages or so...Are you kidding me...Not happy.

(Btw I read Lady Midnight last year, so if some of the scenes in S.A. were mentioned I may have forgotten them so thats why I may seem a bit exaggerated.)
  • The Deepest Well (Dominion)
  • The Bronze Key (Magisterium,  #3)
  • When Silver Moons Rise (Lost Immortals, #2)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Midnight Jewel (The Glittering Court, #2)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
  • Untitled Novella (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.2)
  • The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • Mea Culpa (Requiem #1.5)
  • Swarm (Zeroes, #2)
  • Untitled (Many-Worlds, #3)
  • Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (10 books)
  • Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #1)
  • The Lost Herondale (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #2)
  • The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #3)
  • Nothing but Shadows (Tales from Shadowhunter Academy, #4)
  • The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)
  • Pale Kings and Princes (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #6)
  • Bitter of Tongue (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #7)
  • The Fiery Trial (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #8)
  • Born to Endless Night (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #9)
  • Angels Twice Descending (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I think sometimes it's too hard to believe in yourself. You just do the things you're not sure you can do. You just act, in spite of not being certain. I don't believe I can change the world--it sounds stupid to even talk about it--but I'm going to try.” 23 likes
“Pulvis et umbra sumus," said James once, out loud in class, after hearing too many whispers. "My father says that sometimes. We are but dust and shadows. Maybe I'm just -getting a head start on all of you.” 23 likes