Start by marking “Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)

Guilty Pleasures

(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  122,642 Ratings  ·  5,187 Reviews
Anita Blake is small, dark, and dangerous. Her turf is the city of St. Louis. Her job: re-animating the dead and killing the undead who take things too far. But when the city’s most powerful vampire asks her to solve a series of vicious slayings, Anita must confront her greatest fear—her undeniable attraction to master vampire Jean-Claude, one of the creatures she is sworn ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Berkley (first published October 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Guilty Pleasures, please sign up.
Wendy Thoms @Kat....LKH got divorced and remarried her fanclub president when everything got nutso in the books....Richard tends to represent her ex-husband and…more@Kat....LKH got divorced and remarried her fanclub president when everything got nutso in the books....Richard tends to represent her ex-husband and Micah/Nathaniel tend to represent her current husband...(less)
Caitlin I would actually totally recommend the Kate Daniels books. They have a similar "powerful mostly-human investigating supernaturals in a world with open…moreI would actually totally recommend the Kate Daniels books. They have a similar "powerful mostly-human investigating supernaturals in a world with open supernaturals/magic" vibe but have better snark, better characterization, and a were-creature/pack based hierarchy and romance instead of vampire. They also go in a much more... monogamous/exclusive direction re: romance as the series progresses than Anita does.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Okay, so some of the girls asked that I do a review of the Anita Blake series because I mentioned some things that intrigued them.

It's not a finished series and usually I would reserve judgment on a series until it comes to its conclusion just in case the author was going somewhere I wasn't expecting.

Kind of like that scene out of Austin Powers where Austin's in the bathroom stall with a bad guy and a big Texan man is in the next stall and can only see Austin's feet. He hears Austin Powers grunt
Christine (AR)
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
(This is a massive pan. Just a heads-up.)

I've finally given up on this series, though I'm embarrassed to say it took me about ten books to get there.

This is another of those books where I loved the premise, but the execution made me gag. Anita is insufferable, self-centered and judgmental, and her self-justification for her transformation from noli me tangere virgin to super-slut is laughable. (God apparently told her directly that it was okay. Whatever.)

The appeal for me was always Richard th
Evgeny
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book belongs to urban fantasy genre; it was written long before the term was created. So humans did something really stupid (in my opinion formed after I finished reading) and legalized vampires despite the fact that these creatures need to kill people to exist - as everybody knows.
Vampire
To justify this I can only say that this is not the first time the humanity acted like complete retards - we can all give countless real-life modern examples.

Anita Blake was a reanimator meaning she could raise
StoryTellerShannon
Anita Blake is a vampire hunter/slayer among other dealings with the undead/occult and she's only in her early twenties. Story is told in a first person P.I. style which means there's some wry humor as well as a focus totally from the main character's POV.

PROS

(1) Fast read;

(2) Vampires are similar to the legends but have enough unique differences where we are dealing with something new and enticing;

(3) Anita is a nice mix of male and female which means she should appeal to both genders;

(4)
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book. I loved it the first few times I read it. And then. Not so much. I blame reading Fever right before. Also. There was something. I could not quite put my finger on. At first. What was it? The writing style. Everything was fragmented sentences. And strangely formal speech. Instead of I’m, we get I am. Instead of I’d, we get I would. Every. Time. Even when it does not fit. It is like LKH has not yet met an apostrophe. I am one of those people, you know the ones.

Once I see something, hear
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Feb 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, and I don't say that often
I finally got around to reading Guilty Pleasures, the first Anita Blake book, and can at least see why they're not in the Romance section: it's gory and the author doesn't seem to like vampires at all.

I know Hamilton's very well established and has a huge fan base, and I know there are lots of other people who don't like her books, so I feel pretty confident I'm not going to get lynched by saying I'm glad I only spent $2 on this book.

I really didn't like it. This is partly because I was so often
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
That was... something. Right, I guess it was ok.

How did vampires become common knowledge? I understand they became legal 2 years prior to the action in the book, but why? How?

description

And who is Anita Blake? I could not connect with her at all. She felt shallow... No, not shallow. I really can't find the word right now... She felt not real, but someone that simply went with the flow, with no actual starting point, or purpose. I would like to say she felt like a character in a book, but I love books, so
Bark
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Back in the day, when Anita wasn't a power hungry, nympho :(

This book reminds how great the Anita Blake series once was. Here Anita Blake has a job as an animator (raising the dead for information for the police force) and isn't spending any of her time lazing in bed with her posse of wimpy beauteous men, she even has girlfriends and we are introduced to an intriguing character named Edward (I had forgotten all about him!).

This is the book where she meets Jean Claude whose charms she is
CJ
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
The engaging start of a wonderful series that morphs into erotica partway through.

If you like V.I Warshawski, Kinsey Milhone,and other female gumshoes, and you like some fantasy, you will definitely like this series in the beginning. Normal world, normal woman, except that vampires (and other supernatural critters) are real, some have civil rights and coexist with humans more or less peacefully, and the protagonist is a 5'2" gun toting butt kicking necromancer. Her day job is raising the dead f
Adina
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
It was ok, I guess.

Before Kate Daniels it was Anita Blake. However, it is one of those rare instances where the copy cat is much better than the original. Anita is a raiser of the undead and killer of vampires. She is coerced to help a powerful vampire queen and to investigate the murder of several powerful vampires. The main problem with the book was its heroine. She was so unlikable, so proud of herself that she does no drink, doesn't have sex and is such a good Christian. Oh, she is so judge
Cassa
If I read "naw" one more time, I'm gonna have to slap a bitch. That has to be, to me, the least intelligent-sounding word to come out of anyone's mouth--doubly so if you're answering your own rhetorical questions, Anita, as though the reader is too stupid to realize that no, the vampire probably won't let you go.

Anita's a stone cold bitch; in all three hundred pages I think the only real concern she had was for a character we barely met whose name I've forgotten. (In fact, this review had one st
Anna
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
All of Ms. Hamilton's books have erotic undertones, but this is toward the beginning of the series, before those undertones turned into overtones, sidewaystones, diagonaltones, and all those other tones that we can't discuss in polite society. At this point and through book six or seven, you can still call them action novels, rather than "action" novels, at which point you're just turning the pages thinking MY GOD, WHAT A HORNBALL THIS WOMAN IS.

Anyway, if you like the supernatural and action her
Jilly
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
You know when you have someone who is constantly trying to get you to read a certain book because they KNOW you will love it? Well, that is why I decided to read this one. BUT, after I read it and told her that I liked it, she told me that this is NOT the series she was talking about. oops! haha, too bad! I like this one, so far, and now I guess she will have to wait (and nag me) even longer until I get to the series she meant for me to read. (Dark Hunter?)

Also, she warned me to only read this s
Lianne
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
This was a complete waste of time. The obscenely poor writing drove me crazy. If it hadn't been a library book, there were several occasions when I would have thrown it across the room. ("Bully...naw...dammit...goosebumps marched up my arms...")

Hamilton never took the time to set up the world we're reading about, or give any sort of motivation to the characters' choices/actions. This was confusing and annoying.

The lazy editing was incredibly distracting; I found at least four typos in the book
Foxy11814
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I never really had any intention of reading this series, but a close friend of mine insisted that I buy the first novel when we were roaming the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Yes, the book grabbed my attention, but I'll painfully admit it was because of the subject matter rather than anything truly engaging that the author wrote.

The truth is I don't really care for Anita Blake's character. Anything she takes any time in describing is pure agony reading. Her continuous lectures on guns is annoyin
Argona
I started reading this series long time ago. I Specially have very good memories from reading the first book of this series, which is why I will always cherish these books. But I will not ignore the fact that this series has some serious faults and flaws that in my opinion, are getting out of hand! This series started strong and remained that way for several books but suddenly took a turn for worse.

This series captivated me because of the vampires. I have a thing for vampires and in this series
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin' Reading List***

Another title in what seems to be morphing into my Summer Vampire Reading List. I liked this one and will probably read on, at least for another book or two, in the series.

These are old-school vampires, susceptible to both crosses and holy water, something fairly uncommon in current urban fantasy. Anita knows that she is opposing evil, not just being prejudiced against a new segment of society.

There was also, I thought, a nod to Anne Rice's vampires, specif
pinkgal
Mar 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Well. I'd made the mistake of picking up one of Laurell K. Hamilton's later Anita Blake books and reading it first. I had to stop halfway because to be frank, it sucked. It really, really sucked. I couldn't believe people were paying money for that garbage. But many of my friends insisted that the first few books of the series were actually pretty good and not quite so wlsh fulfillment-esque. So I read the first book.

... it wasn't bad. In fact, it was a much better scale than her later books. Bu
Kayleigh
I present to you, a haiku about Guilty Pleasures:

No no no no no.
What the fuck did I just read?
My brain is melting.

Thank you.
Donna
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it

Laurell Hamilton was completely new to me. I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I love her work! I flew through the Anita Blake series. On average, I read a book a day. And on a super lazy day, one and a half.

Guilty Pleasures. Anita Blake. She is an animator. She raises the dead for a living and occasionally consults the new task force that covers all possible paranormal homocides.

Surrounded by monsters, dodging the manipulatice powers that continue to attempt
Kimberley doruyter
if you had to be someone in this world you could not do better then being anita blake.
as cool as buffy and witty to boot.

i will admit that this is one of my very own guilty pleasures
Ezinwanyi
I have heard about this series as one of the best books in PNR/UF genre. So I avoided it like the plague. A lot of those popular series have a lot of hype and they never live up it. Well this book was one of the pleasant surprises. Guilty Pleasures was engrossing from the first chapter.

Anita Blake, the vampire hunter, was a confident and capable heroine. She lived in St. Louis, Missouri where vampirism was legal. In fact, they were so immersed in society that they had their own churches, strip
Carly
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of female-lead UF with lots of violence and sexual tension--often together
Recommended to Carly by: Curiosity
**edited 12/15/13

As this is one of the trope-makers for the urban fantasy genre, it was quite interesting to read. Even I found the worldbuilding fascinating. However, I did not enjoy it, and, as usual, I'm going to work off my ill humour by enumerating precisely why. With all my complaints, I do not exactly regret reading this. Hamilton's influence is visible throughout almost all of the books in our current urban fantasy genre, from the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher explicitly acknowledges his de
Jenn Ropp
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Adrian
This series is SO AMAZING!!! It is about a zombie raising/vampire hunter! She is so awesome! She is very tough and reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer only WAY more kick butt and knowledgeable about Vamps! DO NOT read this series if you don't like sex in your books. At first there is no sex, but as the series goes on, there is more and more of it! The stories are so action packed and there are so many twists and turns that you just can't put these books down!! Honestly, I started with book on ...more
Stephen
1.5 stars. When I picked this book up, I was hoping I had found a new series to dive into. Unfortunately, it was not nearly as good as I was hoping and I do not see myself reading additional books in the series.
Gary
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
not sure what to think about this book it was very well written and the plot was great but there seams to me to be something missing though I can't put my finger on what it is so a four out of five from me
Anne
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jill joyce
I am a die hard fan of three different series. Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson, and Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse are (in no particular order) my favorite characters to read about. I am now going to have to add Anita Blake to that list. Wow! I very rarely love the first book in any new series. I tend to cut them some slack though, because I know there is a lot of background info and world building that the author has to pack in to the first one. However, once I ...more
Kimberley doruyter
a good start to a series
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)
“I talk to myself everyone once in a while. Give myself very good advice. Sometimes I even take it.” 510 likes
“Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.” 436 likes