Start by marking “Lola Gets a Cat” as Want to Read:
Lola Gets a Cat

Lola Gets a Cat (Lola)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Lola wants a cat, but Mommy says taking care of a pet is a lot of work. So Lola does her homework. At the library she finds books about cats and pet care and she and Mommy learn as much as they can. She pretends her stuffed kitty is real and practices taking care of it. When the time comes, Lola is allowed to pick out her new friend at an animal shelter. With patience and ...more
Published February 14th 2017 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Gets a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola Gets a Cat

Sheri
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lola is a great model for kids. She wants a cat and she does her "homework", learning all about cats and how to care for them. Great for teaching kids about the responsibilities of having a pet, and the importance of not rushing into things. I love that they use the library for research, that is not seen much these days, especially in children.
Earl
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the Lola series because she's part of such a literate family, making regular trips to the library. And, in this instance, when she wants a cat, she first reads about what it'll entail to be a pet owner. Great example for kids.
Tasha
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Continuing the Lola series, this book is all about Lola wanting a pet of her own. Lola’s mother says that cats are a lot of work, so Lola researches about cats and starts to practice on her stuffed toy cat, Dinah. Eventually, her mother agrees that Lola can have her own cat. They go to the shelter where one cat picks out Lola. The family shops for all of the items they will need to take care of their new pet. Lola practices a lot of patience, letting her new pet settle in before trying to play. ...more
Elisabeth
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a satisfying picture book! Lola loves cats. (So do I!) She has pictures of cats, drawings of cats, stuffed animal cats, cat statuettes, books about cats--but no real cat. I love that she practices pet ownership and researches adopting a cat (with Mommy's help) before actually getting one. Caution: kids who read this book might want to get a cat of their own!
Casandria
A great book about getting ready to become a pet owner, and what it's actually like. And the illustrations are the best!
Cats
Kittens
Pets
Peacegal
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
What a delightful book. Lola loves cats and wants one of her very own. So she practices caring for her toy cat and the whole family heads to the library to check out books about cat care. Once they're sufficiently well-read, Lola and the fam visit the animal shelter and choose a kitty!

There's wonderful modelling of pet care here, from doing research before bringing a new pet home to giving Kitty plenty of quiet and space to settle in. And of course, it's so nice to see the characters visiting a
Miss Sarah
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great primer for someone getting a cat. Lola wants one badly but mama says no until Lola learns all she'll have to do. Simple enough for toddlers and takes you through each step in getting and bringing a cat home.
Tara
Lola wants a cat, but mommy says they are a lot of work. Lola decides to do some research and heads to the library. Finally, mommy says that Lola can adopt a cat. They go to a shelter and pick out the perfect cat.
Especially love that they get their cat from a shelter rather than a pet store.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Lola wants a cat but must learn how to take care of one and how to adopt one first.

A sweet story about learning and responsibility and owning a cat. Win. Win. Win.
Becky
First sentence: Lola loves cats. She wants a real one. Mommy says looking after a cat is a lot of work.

Premise/plot: Lola is a little girl who LOVES cats. Is she ready to get a real cat for a pet?

My thoughts: Lola Gets A Cat is a cute, sweet story about a little girl getting a cat as a pet. It isn't enough to want a pet, you have to be ready to take care of a pet. This involves the whole family getting prepared. It also involves patience. Lola's cat, Makeda, has to get used to her new home.

Text:
Erin Buhr
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have you met sweet Lola? In the latest of Lola's adventures she has her heart set on getting a real pet cat. Anna McQuinn continues to capture the gentle, every day moments of childhood with her dear Lola. This book follows Lola as she learns about cats, prepares to be a pet owner, and ultimately helps her new cat adjust to its new home. There are no dramatic conflicts and no earth shattering truths exposed, just simple life being lived in the most endearing way possible. Another wonderful addit ...more
Emily
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Fun, realistic and thoughtful pet adoption picture book. Great for kids wanting to get any pet!
Fabulous for a pet storytime!
Mathew
Young children often get to the point when they want a pet of their own which they can care for and parent but acknowledging the responsibilities can be a challenging leap to take. So what do Lulu and her mother do? They head to the library of course and read about it. At home, Lulu plays ‘looking after a kitten’ with her toys until finally, together, they head to a pet shelter.
Before Lulu is allowed to take home a cat, the employee at the shelter gives Lulu a list of jobs and items that she’ll
Angel Serrano
Lulu adora a los gatos. Su madre la pone a prueba para verificar que, si le regalan uno, sabrá cuidarlo. Paso a paso, el libro explica cómo Lulu, y cualquier otro niño, debería proceder en caso de tener un gato en casa.
Tyra
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! Colorful, bright illustrations add to the sweet and simple storyline.
Mary
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book fits solidly into the canon that Anna McQuinn has created. I especially like how Lola does research and preparation before she brings her cat home and is patient as the cat, Makeda, settles in.
Janet Squires
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lola Gets A Cat, by Anna McQuinn with illustrations by Rosalind Beardshaw,
is a new addition to the delightful Lola series. Lola has been content with cat pictures and stuffed animals, but now she wants a real live cat to love. But, of course, there are obstacles to overcome. In this case, its Mommy who reminds Lola that a real cat is much more responsibility than the stuffed variety. Knowing Lola, she is up for the challenge. She begins by reading up on cat care, then she puts what she’s learned
Jenn
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So. Stinking. Adorable. Perfect for cat lovers of all ages
Leslie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first Lola book...charming!
Susan Schuler
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lola and Leo get a cat!

Becky
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't like cats, but I love me some Lola and Leo. A great book for the youngest of readers on learning both the fun and responsibility of being a pet owner. Her kitty chore chart was my favorite.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lola proves to her mom that she is capable of taking care of a pet cat.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freaking love the Lola books.
Tobinsfavorite
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like how this book lays out the process for preparing to adopt and adopting a cat. I especially like the naming of the cat. Straightforward and still fun.
Lori
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Charming
Kristen
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything good.
Brett
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great addition to a great series.
Lauren Kramer
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lola loves cats. She asks her mom if she can have a cat but is told that they are a lot of work. Not to be deterred, Lola sets out on a mission to prove that she can handle the responsibility.

She goes to the library and checks out a book all about cats and their care. Lola then begins to treat her stuffed cat, Dinah, like a real cat. Will she be able to convince her mom that she is well prepared to bring a kitten home?

This book is a fun read for children ages 3 through 9. The story especially to
Abby
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I *love* the Lola series - new favorites, all of them! (But especially this one, with the sweet lessons on how to love and care for a cat.)
Samantha
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most realistic and thoughtful pet adoption picture book I've ever read! Lola wants to adopt a pet cat, but she does her research and she takes her time making a connection with an animal and then gives the animal the time and space to adjust to its new home. I love, love, love this book!

Highly recommended for PreK-2 with acrylic illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr