Start by marking “Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)” as Want to Read:

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card

(Dresden Files: Wild Card #1-6)

INSIDE COVER:

WILD CARD
An uneasy peace has settled over Chicago, where an array of supernatural factions frequently battle for supremacy. Thanks to the city's only Wizard for Hire, Harry Dresden, a plot targeting magical practitioners was stopped, and the White Court of Vampires' part in it exposed. 'Gentleman' Johnny Marcone, the town's most powerful and ruthless mob boss,
Hardcover, Series Omnibus. Signed, limited edition., 152 pages
Published October 25th 2016 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files

Start your review of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
Anne
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dresden fans
This was a pretty cool story right up till the last few pages. WTF? Talk about a weird-ass way to end what could have been a really exciting Dresden tale.

description

But.
The majority of this is a fun look at quite a few of the main characters in this series. All the major players in the supernatural & mortal world have been tricked and pitted against one another by some anonymous enemy. Of course, it's up to Harry to find out who's the real culprit behind all the recent deaths.
Dun, dun, dunnnn!

description

So far s
Chris
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a preview eARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley.

I really enjoy these Dresden Files comics. The story isn't as brilliant as the regular novels, but they serve nicely as short stories to cleanse the palate a little as we wait for the next book. I think the feel of the series is there primarily because Butcher himself contributes to the writing. And the artwork in this is wonderful! Mark Powers does a great job writing with Butcher and adapting the story to comics, and
Mitticus
+Digital copy gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+

3.5 psychopathic stars

It was a pretty generic story , for Dresden. A big baddie, an almost war, and the usual suspects. But I can't determine the exact timing for this story among the novels.

Some entity is causing trouble in Chicago, and people blame each other.

We find working together again Harry and Thomas . Molly is there, too. And Murphy shows a bit of her past.
(Li'l Karrin+dad)

(Is weird to see Butters like that)
Daniel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great art, a fun setup but a bad, or better yet, a stupid ending. And that's a shame cause everything else was great. It's fun, the characters are likable and it keeps you rooted to your seat.

Still for fans of Harry a must read :)
Tricia
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me be very clear that the high rating is for the story in general. I was not very impressed with the character renditions, not to say as a stand alone the characteristics in a visual manner would not be impressive and my opinion would have been different, however since I know and love the characters I was a but floored about a few. Butters for example has never looked the way I have seen him drawn out in these graphic novels, Thomas looks like a mutant with muscles and I always felt he was m ...more
Chad
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll take anything new featuring Harry Dresden. Someone is running around Chicago killing people to try and start a war between the various factions within the city. Harry must find out who it is and stop them before war breaks out. Carlos Gomez's art is really good. I can see a little of Terry Dodson or Adam Hughes influence.

Received an advance copy from Dynamite and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Wee Lassie
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The story wasn't great, the art wasn't good at all (Marcone's eyes weren't even green) and there wasn't nearly enough John Marcone in it. I know that last thing wouldn't really be an issue for everyone - but it was an issue for me. ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is so good that i can say that was almost perfect (and pretend that the end was good)

-RTC-

A digital copy of this book was provided by NetGalley

Erica
I was going to give it a four star rating until that ending. That was just stupid.
Mark
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
First honestly, I do not have the trade paperback but bought the whole comic short series in single episodes. And I like that fine.

I generally wait for short series to finish before I start reading them in one go.

So what do you do when jim Butcher is not delivering a regular novel?- You pick up his filler comic series which are actually quite good and keep yourselves in the Dresden universe.

There is trouble afoout in Dreden's Chicago as someboy tries to set up a war between the police, the Whit
Cathleen
The story boasts many of the the best hallmarks of the prose series: it's entertaining, action-packed, clever, and populated with characters for whom we care and cheer. Fits well within the Dresden world, with only a few minor missteps, and it was fabulous to see both Murphy and Molly be integral to the action rather than relegated to female commentary on what the men were doing.

What works against real success is the distractingly adolescent artwork. Hyper-sexualized characters are depicted in a
Magda Żmijan
There's one word that comes to my mind after reading this: FUN! Yet another Dresden graphic novel I enjoyed a lot. Although I somehow imagined Thomas differently, but I can live with that.

A set of strange murders stirs unease among Chicago's strongest forces. Once again Harry has to use his magical diplomatic skills to help save everyone ;P. We all know how good diplomat he is, right?

As pretty much every Dresden story this one is also entertaining, filled with action and near-death experiences.
Kat
Basic Plot: A mysterious figure is starting a war between conflicting factions in Chicago, and Harry Dresden struggles to figure out how to end the madness before the city descends into all out chaos.

The art is good, except for one complaint: the female characters all look way too similar. Murphy and Molly have the same facial structure and body type. Yes, Molly has her hair color and piercings, but those are dressing. It's lazy art. The story was ok, but it felt, for lack of a better term, chao
Julianna
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy Graphic Novels
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Wild Card is the sixth Dresden Files graphic novel. According to Jim Butcher’s website, the story is set between Small Favor and Turn Coat in the greater series story arc. In this one, we have a mysterious and powerful entity who is trying to pit Chicago’s most prominent factions against each other. He has murdered two women in an attack meant to look like it was perpetrated by White Court vampires, and when one of their own is also attacked, the cops are out
HornFan2
Thanks to net galley.com, Jim Butcher, Mark Powers, Diamond Book Distributors, and Dynamite Entertainment for the advance PDF copy for my review.

Let me note that this one has been previously released as a 6 part serial and now getting released as a omnibus hardcover.

I don't read many graphic novels, but I do like the change of pace from a traditional book and seem to like the supernatural stuff the better in this format.

I've had several co-workers and friends recommend reading Jim Butcher in
Emily
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this more than the last Dresden Files graphic novel I read. Murphy was more involved in the story, and that was a definite improvement. The villain was more interesting too.
I didn't picture Thomas as built like a linebacker when I read the novels, but that's a pretty minor complaint compared to my previous ones about the depiction of the female characters, especially Molly. At least Thomas was fully dressed.
Guess I'll stick around and see how the next one is.
Reanne
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Review crossposted from Reanne Reads.

I'm a big Dresden Files fan, but the graphic novels have been hit-or-miss for me. This one was a miss.

(view spoiler)
K
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An extra star for introducing a fun, quirky new villain. A lot of reviewers were disappointed by the ending, but not every solution is going to involve explosions. I think trying to do this story as a graphic novel meant that Butcher couldn't build up the ending like he would have liked to, to make it feel more satisfying & a bit less like random chance. We finally get to see Butters and Harry's godmother, Leanansidhe, too.

Harry tries to prevent a war that's brewing between the White Court vamp
Ije the Devourer of Books
Another good Harry Dresden graphic novel in which Harry finds himself trying to convince three warring factions to work with him to defeat a common enemy.

When two young women turn up dead with the life sucked out of them, Harry knows that this goes beyond normal everyday magic occurrences. Something or someone is unleashing horror and violence on the streets of Chicago and Harry needs to stop this.

As Harry begins to investigate he realises that this is no ordinary foe. It is something very dark
Celeste
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
This is the first of the Dresden Files that I have ever read, though I have been meaning to read Storm Front for ages now. That being said this book can be read as a standalone, at least according to me. There are no spoilers about previous books (or maybe there are and I just don’t know they’re spoilers) but all the characters are introduced in a way that you know their purpose and place in the story.
This was a pretty quic
Glennis
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This collection of six comic issues is another new story to the Dresden universe. It falls between Small Favor and Turn Coat time wise so there are some spoilers if you are new to the series. The story was very basic and I was a bit surprised that as each faction was being played against one another they didn’t seem open to that fact very early in the scheme of things. For such a quick story almost every big gun in the area has a part in the book. How to deal with the attacks gets wrapped in the ...more
Wayne McCoy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Wild Card' by Jim Butcher with art by Mark Powers is the 6th Dresden Files graphic novel, and it might be my favorite in the series so far. This story takes place after the White Night novel.

A double murder has happened, and Harry Dresden gets drawn into a case that may cause a civil war between the White Court of vampires and the city's main crime boss,Johnny Marcone. Fortunately, Harry has a sharp young apprentice in Molly Carpenter, a good frind on the police for
Robert
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another nice stop-gap until Butcher publishes the next novel in the series.
Terry
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to see how this plays out in a century. ...more
The_J
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Probably the best since Welcome to the jungle. Interesting character in Puck, but would it kill them to get a better artist?
Kk
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-find, comics
A well drawn illustration of Wyldfae on the loose in Chicago.
Wayland Smith
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this as individual issues as it came out. It's set just after the novel White Night for those who care about continuity. The comics aren't quite as good as the actual books, but they definitely have the flavor of the world and the characters.

In this one, mysterious killings all over Chicago are drawing Marcone's criminal organization closer and closer to all out war with the Raiths, the ruling family of the White Court vampires. Harry needs to prevent this disaster and solve the killings,
Nana  Devourer of Tomes
Spoiler ahead:

Two stars is very generous.

I have always mostly liked the DF comics artwork, although it doesn’t break away from the classic sexist drawing of women. Gard's skirt is like, half an inch below her vag. Two young women corpses have gravity-defying boobs and aren’t allowed to look like corpses. There’s also a woman in the hospital who has gotten a severe beating yet there’s not a single bruise on her.

HOW DARE WOMEN PRESENT LIKE PEOPLE, HOW DARE THEY I TELL YOU?

Also most of the dudes h

Maxine
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the graphic novel Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files: Wild card, Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only wizard-for-hire, is facing one of his most dangerous adversaries, one who has managed to set many groups who have been coexisting, if not happily at least peacefully together, at each other’s throats. Dresden will need to convince them all first that this new entity actually exists and that they must work together to defeat him.

The action in this latest graphic novel written by author Jim Butcher and beaut
Nicole
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Strange Brew
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Straight Outta Tombstone
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Naked City
  • Empyre
  • X-Men/Fantastic Four: 4X
  • Parallel Worlds: The Heroes Within
  • Frozen Rage (Hellequin Chronicles #6.5)
  • Hopcross Jilly #1-6 (Mercy Thompson)
  • X-23, Vol. 1: Family Album
  • Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons II: Painscape
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Dresden Files: Wild Card (6 books)
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Wild Card #1