Start by marking “Constant Guests” as Want to Read:
Constant Guests

Constant Guests

She was looking for her mother's secret. Instead, she found the world's greatest secret.
How would you feel if you found out one day that your mother wasn't your mother and nobody had a clue who your father might be? This is what happens to Isa, a cynical party girl from Paris whose life is abruptly changed. When Mara, her real mother dies in front of her eyes without
Kindle Edition, first edition, 408 pages
Published May 21st 2016 by self-published

To ask other readers questions about Constant Guests, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melinda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Constant Guests
Patricia Nedelea
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
How else could one rate her or his own book? Every author writes a book she or he would like to read, right? So... I also did write a book I'd love to read on a summer holiday spent on a dreamy beach, while wearing a huge sun hat and holding a cold beer in my hand.
Alyssa Janine Busia
Patricia Nedelea surely knows how to craft a surprisingly thought-provoking and brutally intriguing novel that will leave you impressed and breathless on its brilliant idea.

This is a book with four unique stories that happened on a different timeline.

First, it happened at the present time where a girl named Isa, discovered that she was not the daughter of her mother but her mother’s sister, Mara. Unfortunately, before Isa had the chance to talk with her real mother, she instantly died in front
Cristina
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not an archeological thriller slash mystery-detective fan or even reader... in fact, the only book vaguely falling in this category I remember reading is the inevitable Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". I'm more of a Borges fan myself, so you can imagine that at first I was put off by the brevity of phrases (sentences?), a certain superficiality of characters and stereotype situation. But the more I read the more I understood the key "Constant Guests" was written in - a choppy, scriptlike, ...more
Eldon Farrell
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Constant Guests was an absolute joy to read. Patricia Nedelea’s debut novel is full of interesting settings, imaginative characters, and thoroughly researched history. More than once I found myself amazed that this was not only her first novel, but an independently published one at that. Sooner, rather than later, a publisher has got to snap this one up and we will see Patricia ascending the best seller lists! Yes, it’s that good.

What the author has managed to do here is no small feat. She’s
Joan
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great read if you liked the DaVinci Code

I gave this book four stars instead of five simply for all the ruminating the main character did imagining why this or that might have happened and how one of the other characters might have felt or done in the same situation.
The author did a great job otherwise with all the unexpected twists and turns and the ending was really unexpected. Everything was brought together and explained. This was one of the most unusual books I have ever read and I highly
Flo Florina
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a history fan, but this book made my holiday!Waiting for a sequel.
Rucsandra Frate
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was exciting! I was with Isa all the way during her search. I could follow her during another trip, in another book.
Marilena
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every page of this book and and I was sorry when I had to read the final chapter. I felt like I have to say goodbye to a good friend.
Looking forward to enjoy the next book!
Jeremy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite good if a bit inconsistent. The plot and larger moving pieces of the narrative are compelling, but the moment to moment interactions of characters feel a bit off. Still and interesting ride, I am glad I stuck with it as the back 25% is definitely the most interesting.
Jason
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Constant Guests by Patricia Nedelea was a pleasant surprise for me. This is what Goodreads is all about and why I love it so much, browsing, commenting, researching, and socializing here on a daily basis. It is simply a joy when a new author reaches out to us readers to say hey, here is my story, my novel, maybe it would interest you. It is even better when the author points out at her new novel is on Kindle unlimited at the moment.

Constant Guests is a historical fiction thriller. Many
Tony Parsons
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Isabel “Isa” enjoyed clubbing with her friends Claude (aka iClaude the Breaker) & Julie (Claude's GF).
When Isa woke up in the morning she realized her & Julie had went home with a guy from the club Max Triple X (aka le Fax).
Isa went to visit Aunt Mara Gabrian (24, museum curator, mum, Transylvania) who was now recuperting in the hosptial.
Mark Zweifer (HS teacher, Zurich) had saved his Aunt from an intruder.
Victoria Gabrian (sister, mother, Paris Conservatoire, opera singer, Paris,
Claudia Preda
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of historical fiction, and I am always hunting for the hidden treasures out there and I must say, there aren’t that many lately. They are all pretty much the same eye rolling, boring, pretentious Renaissance-mystery bullsh*t, over and over again.

When I stumbled on this recent addition to the genre, I wasn’t quite convinced it won’t be a waste of time, like the others, so I decided to do what I usually do in these cases. Read the very first page and decide whether I am letting
Melinda
Blown Away by the Thundering Plot and Imaginative Plot Twists

This thriller combines 14th century European history, an interesting interpretation of the Bible, the history of Tarot cards as well as the wonderful year 1981. Wrap the whole thing up in a Gordian knot of conspiracy theories, and you have the novel, Constant Guests. The plot is so Byzantine, you are not sure of the number of puppeteers, why they are playing the game, and who plays for each side. Just keeping score is half the fun.

The
Ian Miller
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author is apparently an academic, and this book is more a thinking person's book, which, I might add, I strongly approve. Besides writing such books, I am always on the lookout for them, and this does not disappoint, although it has the odd flaw. The start is a series of short chapters that really could be considered as elaborations of a single sentence. This one chapter could be summarized as, at the end of the first century an old man enters a cave with two scribes. You might guess now ...more
Valentina Markasović
2016 reading challenge - a book set in Europe

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, I really enjoyed it!

On her quest to uncover her mother's secrets and discover who she really was, as well who she herself is now, Isa stumbles upon an even greater mystery. She gets sucked into a world of crime, murder and mediums, all over a deck of cards. But not just any cards - the world's oldest set of tarot cards is at play and there is little this odd, dangerous
Pegboard
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Constant Guests by Patricia Nedelea starts out with four seemingly unrelated stories and weaves centuries into the present. Then it takes tarot cards to tell the story of two worlds with twin images. Each person has a double, or binary. One world (on other side of the moon) has access to the “Latin Passage” that allows them to travel to our world. Each person’s double is exactly the opposite in behavior and talents.
The tarot cards were not designed as fortune telling. Each card mirrored its
Rachel Horon
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Four stories connected by more than just tarot cards

It is complicated to categorize this book under one genre. It is primarily a thrilling mystery, but it is an adventure for a girl who is coming of age in the search of answers about her parents and her past. She starts as a shallow, spoiled little girl with no direction to a mature, thoughtful, and smart young woman who has a new perspective on her world in the three weeks that she searches for details about her birth mother. The historical
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you fancy a fast paced fantasy story, full of mystery, adventure and a little romance, this book is for you. While reading it I was vividly imagining the movie in front of my eyes; it would certainly worth an adaptation for the big screen.
I'm giving it five stars being impressed with this first endeavor of the author, with even higher expectations from the next book. Looking forward to seeing deeper into the characters souls and relationships in the sequel.
Marbea Logan
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I'm not into tarot cards or religious scripts because the entire story was new to me n so many levels. This was novel was way over my head and boundaries when it comes to the subject and concept of the story. The story was very interesting and well put together nonetheless.
Ofelia Popii
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just loved it! Could't stop reading ! Wonderful novel! Great!
Tavleen Kaur
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Constant Guests is the debut novel of Patricia Nedelea. It is a mixture of historical fiction, mystery and fantasy. It consists of four story-lines set in present-day France; Translyvania, 1991; Tuscany, 1389 and Patmos, c.100.

The main plot is centered around Isa when she discovers that she was adopted by her aunt and her real mother is someone she doesn’t know at all. She then goes on a journey to find out about her mother’
Michelle
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know how to describe this book. Every time I think I had a handle on the plot twist, something new happened and it wasn’t what I thought at all. This book doesn’t fit in any genre, thriller? Historical fiction? Romance?

Highly recommend to anyone who wants to jump into a lengthy story. The title and cover do not do it justice.

I received a complimentary copy for an honest review.
Estter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read, terrible heroine

I almost put down this book a couple times and stopped reading. The heroine Is a is such a pain in the ass,spoilt,sarcastic brat!
I wouldn't read a sequel if it featured her. Really a shame as it is a good story. What was the author thinking??
Lynn
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just wow.

This book has so many twists and turns...it keeps the pages turning and keeps you wondering if you ever actually knew what was going on. A great read and worth the time. So refreshingly different from most the stuff I read. Enjoy!
Elsa Carrion
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
The cover looked great, but the story was a tad of a disappointment for me.
Not what I usually read.
Patrascu S.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
cool book, is it gonna be a part 2?
Filipa de Oliveira
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isa was a Parisian party girl who thought she had nothing in common with her parents. And then she finds out that she was adopted and that her mother, Mara, had just woken up from a coma. However, when Mara dies in front of her, Isa becomes determined to find out more about her and, most importantly, discover who her father was. Unintentionally, she also finds herself searching for twenty-four ancient tarot cards that hide the world’s greatest secret. Nevertheless, there are others looking for ...more
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isa has just found out that her parents are not really her parents. Her birth mother has been in a coma for 20 years and has woken up, only to die just as Isa sees her for the first time. Then Isa is attacked in the hospital bathroom by an unknown assailant. When she discovers a picture hidden in her mother’s watch she can no longer resist the urge to find out everything she can about this mysterious woman. Her quest will take her all over Europe, to big cities and small towns, and put her life ...more
Amy
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
If you are searching for a book that has ties to a thriller, suspense, romance and some history tossed in for good measure this my friend, is your book. You will not be disappointed. Reminiscent to 30 Pieces of Silver and the DaVinci Code, Constant Guests takes you on a wild ride.
Constant Guests is like a history lesson and a well written book. From the beginning you are embroiled in a plot that surrounds Isa and her mother. You move through time, from the far past to the future trying to
Katherine Elizabeth
3 stars!

Again, thank you to the author for sending me the PDF version of this book! You rock.

Okay, now to the review.
Honestly, I started this book without much thought (good or bad). I kind of just started reading it on my bed one day, and quickly came to the realization (around chapter 2) that I did not like the main character - which really threw me off for the rest of the story because I enjoyed pretty much everything else, except for her... Quite a bummer.

It wasn't the best book I've read,

• Cozy Mystery 7 Book Set: Cats, Cupcakes & Killers
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea (Garrison Gage, #1)
  • Chimera (Kate Redman Mysteries, #5)
  • Stormy Petrel
  • To Hell in a Handbasket
  • The Babbling Brook Naked Poker Club (Book One)
  • The Babbling Brook Naked Poker Club (Book Two)
  • Journey to Love (Angels of Mercy)
  • The Babbling Brook Naked Poker Club - Book Three
  • Gabriel's Lady (Angels of Mercy)
  • Angel's Embrace (Angels of Mercy)
  • A Patchwork Family (Angels of Mercy)
  • Yellow Jacket (Frank Harper Mysteries Book 4)
  • Love, Chocolate, and Beer (Cactus Creek, #1)
  • White Lines (Frank Harper Mysteries #3)
  • The Case of the Hobo's Son: Book 2 in the Sam Cloudstone series (The Sam Cloudstone Chronicles)
  • Like the Wind
  • All the Little Things
My name is Patricia Nedelea and I'm currently living in Transylvania. After lots of life changes, I decided to become a full-time fiction writer. Constant Guests is my first novel.
My childhood dream was to be on stage, and after years of hard work I became a professional actress. Then I wanted to do something different, so I became an academic: I've got four Master Degrees and two PhDs. One of my
“Well, it's not easy to find something that you do not know exists.” 6 likes
“Coincidences are the explanations of lazy and cowardly people for what they don't understand.” 4 likes