Start by marking “Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise” as Want to Read:

(Paddington Bear)

Christmas is coming, and Paddington has saved just enough bun money to take the entire Brown family to Barkridges store for a holiday adventure. But things don't turn out at all as Paddington had planned...and Barkridges may never be the same! Leave it to Paddington, that beloved bear from Darkest Peru, to turn a chaotic Christmas disaster into an unforgettable holiday sur ...more
Published October 20th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise

Kathryn
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was really not that cute, despite Paddington. He spends most of the book being annoyed or disappointed and I'm not sure why the store people are so rude to him. The cute ending doesn't quite make up for the rest.
Книжни Криле
Няма как да не чакаш декември с нетърпение – Коледа, елхи, подаръци, ваканция и празнична атмосфера... Но за многобройните фенове на мечето Падингтън миналият декември беше особено очакван! Първата причина бе премиерата на „Падингтън 2”, който не просто ме очарова, но се превърна и в любимия ми филм за изминалата година. Лентата явно не е стоплила само моето сърце, тъй като „Падингтън 2” отнесе 3 номинации BAFTA. Но казах ДВЕ причини, нали така? А ето я и втората – книжката „Падингтън и коледнат ...more
Judy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Paddington story that I've read, so I didn't have any expectations. It seems like Paddington is the youngest member of a human family. On a lack-luster trip to a department store, Paddington is disappointed ... but he's happy at the end.

not a keeper
Kayla
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm kind of sad because I expected much more from this one. Paddington and Christmas--two things I love! What could go wrong? A lot, it turns out. The story is really disjointed and negative and ultimately casts doubt on the magic of Santa Claus, which isn't something most parents of young children want to do. I'd give it 1.5 stars if I could.
Kinga
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, dla-dzieci
Na początku chciałabym napisać, że R.W. Alley wykonał kawał dobrej roboty, tworząc przepiękne kolorowe ilustracje do tej książki. Na uwagę zasługuje również niesamowita wklejka, która zachwyca swoją formą.

Muszę niestety przyznać, że sama opowieść mnie jakoś szczególnie nie zachwyciła. Czego bowiem dowiedzą się z tej historii dzieci? (view spoiler)
Knigoqdec
Аз Падингтън не го познавам чак толкова добре, но конкретно в тази книжка, въпреки че беше сладко мече, беше като цяло раздразнителен, надут и мрънкащ... така че не смея да давам големи определения...
Read with Kirsten
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
After seeing a lot of Christmas reading list, on which this book was mentioned, I had to read this one. It is a quick and very nice Christmas picture book. I really love myself a bit of Paddington every now and then.
Tiffany Spencer
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise
Plot: The Browns take Paddington to a fancy department store. He decides to meet Santa Claus first but gets turned away when they he says he’s a bear. Next, they decide to take the Winter Wonderland tour (which is lame). Paddington comes to the rescue when he discovers a light that doesn’t work and fixes it. In return he gets to come back to see Santa when he earns the store tons of popularity.

My Thoughts: Much along the lines of the other (short) books.
Amynicole
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-spirit
Reading Padding is a lot like Curious George... curious & disastrous at times. I love the soft illustrations better.
Amina M
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
trop mignon trop chou et les illustrations sont magnifiques! (non possédé mais lu au salon de Montreuil)
Jon
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage-reads
Just a mess
Wsclai
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale about PB that will capture children's attention. Very colourful and vibrant illustrations.
PWRL
Aug 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
E
Conquering Dinner
Story assumes you know the characters from the Paddington series. Not an easy read aloud.
Slow Man
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The story is weak but the drawings are lush. I expect more but sometimes more is not available. So I have to settle for less.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Bond, Michael Paddington and the Christmas Surprise Harper, 2008 $17.99 PICTURE BOOK

Paddington saves up his bun money and takes the Brown family to a famous department store to meet Santa. As they go on the little train ride that’s part of the fun, Paddington notices many things wrong. He is very upset and hides. The department store gets marketing when the story hits the news and is able to fix up the ride, and he finally gets to meet Santa.

I know there was a Paddington movie, but I really don’
Felicity Terry
A bear even more loved by me than Winnie The Pooh. Whilst I was already aware of this story having read it in an omnibus edition of Paddington stories how could I resist this special 50th year edition produced for retailers Marks & Spencer?

Beautifully illustrated certainly BUT to my mind, lacking a certain charm, not one of the better stories.

Putting on my Teaching Assistant head; I think I might have had a lot of confused (and possibly upset) children on my hands as Paddington and the Brow
Laroussebouquine
Le petit ours le plus attachant du monde est de retour avec cet opus spécial Noël ! Autant dire que je me devais de craquer -étant une fan inconditionnelle de Paddington-. Un album plein de mignonnerie, de bêtises et de maladresse (que serait Paddington sans ce défaut si mignon ?) qui m'a totalement ravie, et qui fait désormais partie intégrante de ma collection.
Des dessins par Robert W Alley toujours aussi doux et touchants, un texte adorable, et un ours qui me fait fondre. Encore un coup de cœ
Mary
This is an interesting take on the Christmas spirit - Paddington is initially somewhat of a miserly curmudgeon, but as the story goes on and he makes different choices, things start to turn around for him. There are some cultural differences between the British and American traditions and expectations, but for anyone who likes Paddington, this is a fun addition to the collection.
Hannah
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Michael Bond brings us the familiar character of Paddington the Bear. I have special liking to Paddington as my childhood stuffed animal was a Paddington. This book brings to life Christmas cheer and what it means to help others. This book is a great holiday book to read to get students ready for Santa!
Rosa Cline
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this book Paddington is excited to go to the department store and visit with Santa Claus and see the Winter Wonderland but once they get there he is greatly disappointed and then he disappears... what he does is a great thing and surprises even the store owners.
F.J. Commelin
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
As always the Michael Bond stories about Paddington-bear are fab.
A big bonus in this one are the wonderful pagefilling illustrations by R.W.Alley on which a lot is to see.
Every christmas i take it from the shelf.
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Paddingtion Bear is a well-known character, but rather British so some of the references might need to be explained to kids. Paddington was whiny during the whole first half and then I feel like must have missed something because suddenly everything was resolved, no problem.
Megan Mccormick
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
i absolutely love paddington and especially this christmas themed book. They are coming out with a movie for paddington and i absolutely can't wait to see the movie. i love this book
Morgan Comeaux
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but not the best
Jasmine Denholm
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
Gorgeous book with beautiful pictures sprawling every page - will talk more about this in my Christmas gift guide on the Wenlock Books website!
Thebruce1314
Paddington is always causing some well-intentioned trouble for the Brown family. The perfect book to read just before Christmas. I love Paddington!
Miri
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Paddington and the Browns go on a sleigh ride inside Barkridge's store, but nothing is like it should be and everyone is disappointed, until Paddington makes things turn out alright.
Elaine
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
A bit of a holiday downer to me.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Paddington visits a department store at Christmas time and soon everyone else wants to do it too. A/L/S.

• A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The Mouse Before Christmas
  • December
  • Henry and Mudge and a Very Merry Christmas (Henry and Mudge, #25)
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Very Marley Christmas
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • Strega Nona's Gift
  • Uncle Vova's Tree
  • Lighthouse Christmas
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Santa Duck
  • Babar and Father Christmas
  • The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale, with Bonus Cookie Recipe and Pattern for St. Nicholas Christmas Cookies (25th Anniversary Edition)
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World
  • Christmas Treasury
  • Angela and the Baby Jesus
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)