Start by marking “Why Not Me?” as Want to Read:
Why Not Me?

Why Not Me?

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  127,682 Ratings  ·  8,702 Reviews
From the author of the beloved New York Times bestselling book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and the creator and star of The Mindy Project comes a collection of essays that are as hilarious and insightful as they are deeply personal.

In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it's falling
Published September 27th 2016 by Three Rivers Press (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Why Not Me?, please sign up.
Pam It's a book of comic essays about various topics. I think the most important point is that it's sometimes tiring to be yourself and carry the banner…moreIt's a book of comic essays about various topics. I think the most important point is that it's sometimes tiring to be yourself and carry the banner for women of color/women of average size.(less)
Hannah It is a follow up. You don't HAVE to read the first book first, but she does reference some of the stories she told in that book, so I'd recommend…moreIt is a follow up. You don't HAVE to read the first book first, but she does reference some of the stories she told in that book, so I'd recommend reading her earlier book first. (less)

Ashley
Update 9/22/15: This isn't going to be my best review ever. Since last night I've been fighting exhaustion, and I think I might have a sinus infection, but I wanted to get this review done within 24 hours of finishing because I know that I will forget what I want to say about it if I wait any longer than that.

First, I liked this book more than her first one, although I do admit my memory of that one is a bit squidgy. From what I do remember, I thought it was incredibly readable and I loved her
Lauren
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
description

My thoughts on this book.
description
Lindsey Rey
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most relatable memoir I've ever read!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Chicago commercial photographers

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I was really hoping I’d like this one more. I mean, Mindy and I have quite a bit in common and I thought we could possibly be kindred spirits. We both enjoy testing out new inventions . . .

Chicago commercial photographers
(Who says you can’t take alcohol in to youth sporting events? Amateurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Speaking of alcohol, we both abide by the policy that alcohol “when obtained, need[s] to be ingested quickly in case someone trie[s] to take it
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

OMG! I'm so embarrassed that I didn't know who Mindy Kaling was, I just saw that a lot of people like the book and thought I would read it. Then I found out she was on The Office (which I have never watched and need to some day) and that she has her own show and books and things. I live under a rock at times.

I liked the book good enough, she is really funny. I could give a million funny excerpts but I won't do that, but there is one where she is giving her daily routing driving to work and this
Madeline
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I read Mindy Kaling's first memoir/essay collection Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns) about four years ago, but I just realized that I never actually wrote a review for it - I also just realized that I never made a "memoir" shelf, so that's been corrected. I'll go back and write a review of Kaling's first book at some point, I promise.

The cliff notes version of my thoughts on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is that I enjoyed it, but Kaling was very clearly being select
Sophia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love mindy kaling. i think she's the kind of awesome that can never be overrated. she's funny, she's relatable, she's empowering, and she feels so genuine. reading this book felt like having a nice, long heart-to-heart with her, filled with laughs and awkwardness and occasionally moving snippets and just a whole lot of fun. it also felt like reading a diary, and at some parts--especially when she delves into her own fears and concerns--i couldn't decide whether this read more like her thoughts ...more
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 stars for Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

This was an enjoyable, entertaining, and a light read which was exactly what I needed for getting myself used to listening to audiobooks!

I do have a print copy of this book so I was able to follow along and see all the pictures and messages that were included with this book.
Shannon (leaninglights)
You all know how much I love Mindy. I liked hearing about her next chapters post-Office life and also about her thoughts on BJ Novak! It was a really short book, but I still enjoyed it. I wanted to give it 5 stars (I actually did initially), but after thinking about it, I realized that I wasn't completely satisfied. The shortness of the book bothered me and it didn't feel complete. The parts that were there were AWESOME. I think I just wanted a bit more. Still totally worth a listen/read because ...more
Lauren Danton
Alright, I'm going to take a deep breath and say it; I didn't love this book. I love Mindy. I do. I love her sense of humour, her style, the way she doesn't seem to give too much of a fuck about what other people think, and her ambition. This book just didn't fit into any of those reasons of why I love her. There was a bit too much of the I'm-so-famous-look-at-how-famous-I-am-now Mindy, and not enough of the I'm-making-it-in-Hollywood-but-I'm-still-a-big-dork Mindy that I loved so much in her fi ...more
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
YESSS I'll read anything she writes. Mindy is a gem. She is bright, humorous and very genuine. Her giving advice about everything from clothes to boys to careers, she is the role model young girls should look up to. I love her inspirational voice and humour and she still makes me laugh just by speaking, her voice is too cute. I listened to the audiobook and loved it. Her essays aren't as funny as the first book but this one is a little more serious which is also still as good.
Jessica
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So good! Full Review Here
Malia
Jul 24, 2017 added it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I think this concludes my foray into celebrity memoir type books for a while now. Kaling seems a nice person, but both of her books left me fairly unaffected. Not bad at all, but not very funny either, which was what I had hoped for.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
Mindy is somebody we’d all like as our bestie. The chapter with her address to Harvard Law is especially brilliant
Diane
Sweet, funny Mindy Kaling. Her delightful audiobook was the perfect prescription for a long and stressful week.

I had read Mindy's first book a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I think this second memoir was a little stronger. She wrote more about her career and how hard she works, she wrote about her good friends and family, and she wrote about the pressures she faces over her appearance. There are also some silly chapters, like about how she enjoys kissing guys on her show "The Mindy Project,"
Danny
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I seriously love Mindy Kaling! her first book was amazing, and this one was just as amazing if not better. I caught myse
Dana
Unpopular Opinion Time

I think I'm more of a Mindy Lahiri fan than a Mindy Kaling one.

It's been awhile since I have finished a book and was left feeling so apathetic. I enjoy the Mindy Project and The Office, but I just don't find Mindy all that interesting to read about. I feel like I'm reading someones diary and not in a good way.

I think I chuckled once while reading this, but my main thought was often “how is this even worthy of a mention?” I normally don't mind rambly narratives, but this on
Snotchocheez
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The announcement of another Mindy Kaling book, so soon after her 'meh' and shrug-eliciting Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? did not exactly set my mouth watering in anticipation. Though I thoroughly loved her (along with soup snake soulmate BJ Novak's) writing and acting for almost a decade of The Office episodes, her first book was (to me) a mishmash of banality, curiously lacking in the humor that made me love her so.

After reading Glenn's terrific, positive endorsement of Why Not
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than her first book, although both were just so lighthearted yet packed with great stories and advice. It's very good, clean humor, and Mindy is so energetic and playful that I can't help but love her. In this one she focuses a lot on confidence and friendships, and I thought a lot of her advice was so endearing and I actually underlined some of her thoughts near the end.

This book talks a lot more about The Mindy Project, which I don't watch and don't intend to watch, bu
abby
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

If there were such a thing as celebrity soul mates, I'd like to think mine would be Mindy Kaling. Because that's the kind of person Kaling is: graduate of an Ivy League college, writer/actor for two successful tv shows, author of two books... and so down-to-earth that a yokel like me can think, "yeah, sure, we could totally be friends." Because Kaling surely has nothing better to do than call me up and vent over why it's so hard to find a hair iron with auto shutoff (Kaling's number one fear is
Juhina
I loved Mindy Kaling's first book Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns). I also love Mindy Kaling's show The Mindy Project. I basically love anything Mindy Kaling does, with good reason, including her new book Why Not Me?. Honestly if Mindy Kaling is explaining to me how the REM cycle works, she'll find a way to turn it into the most fascinating, funny, and exciting thing ever. I love her humour and it translates really well in writing. I found myself laughing out loud countl ...more
Jamie-leigh Haughn
*4.5

Man I love Mindy!!

I listened to this book via Audible, that't the way to do it! Her books are fantastic audiobooks, Mindy has such a great story telling ability and her reading this book made it that much better! I enjoyed this book even more than her first one! there was only one section that I didn't like, it was a series of emails and I found it to be a bit repetitive and boring! Other than that, this book was FABULOUS, just like Mindy herself :)
Emer
“I had finally done it. I had created a show. Not for Must-See TV, home of Cheers and Friends. But for Fox, home of Married … with Children and Joe Millionaire. You never quite get everything you want the way you want it. But here I was, a showrunner and TV star, so who cared? Nothing bad would happen to me now. The end!
NOT SO FAST, BIG SHOT”

‘Why Not Me?’ is Mindy Kaling’s second foray into the world of memoir writing and it again is another funny collection of anecdotes, speeches, general mus
Liza
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mindy so much! She is such an inspiration to women of any age! I honestly can't decide which book of hers I like more since they are both so spectacular. I love her show The Mindy Project, and am so happy that she went further into detail about the process, the characters, and the development. This book definitely revolved more around relationships as a topic, which was actually really well done. It wasn't heavy, it didn't go on and on with no end in sight, and it wasn't difficult or unco ...more
☆☽Erica☾☆
Very sweet and funny. Felt very intimate- like she was telling all these things to me personally. I enjoyed it. :)
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Mindy! Such hilarious insights to the world we live in, and knows how to make me laugh. Listening to the audiobook was like sitting a room with a good friend, swapping hilarious stories about life, jobs, food. Oh man, now I'm hungry... But seriously, this book was everything I needed. Audiobooks read by the author, especially when the author is very entertaining, is the way to go!

I received the audiobook for review from the publisher.
Rincey
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, poc-author
Listened to this one on audiobook.

I say this about every celebrity memoir, but I think that my reaction to any celebrity memoir is basically how I feel about that celebrity in general. In the case of Mindy Kaling, I have a 70/30 love-disinterest ratio going on with her and that is basically how I felt about the book.
Glenn Sumi
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I liked Kaling’s first collection of essays, but felt she hadn’t experienced enough to warrant a book-length memoir. And at times it seemed like she was hiding behind her jokes. After all, the key to good writing – comic or otherwise – is honesty and truth.

What a difference a few years makes. Why Not Me? is a much more insightful, honest and funny collection, and Kaling has emerged as a strong writer and a fierce and confident role model in an industry full of size zero Barbie-like clones.

Admitt
Diana
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just so you know, I was already a Mindy Kaling fan before I picked up this book.

This book is hilarious. If you think Mindy is funny and you like her show The Mindy Project and/or The Office (she was on the writing team) then you will likely enjoy this book. If you are annoyed by Mindy - not to be confused with her character Kelly Kapoor who was meant to be an annoying character - then you probably won't like this book. Also, if you're unfamiliar with The Office and/or The Mindy Project you may n
Red Panda
Very amusing in places but I was made very aware throughout that I wasn't the target audience. Not a bad read, particularly if you're a fan of Kaling's television work, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody else, to be honest.

Buddy-read with the missus.
Braapp Brapp Nuon...: [PDF}D0WNLOAD Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling 2 1 May 22, 2018 05:57PM
Around the Year i...: Why Not Me?, by Mindy Kaling 18 123 May 07, 2018 10:03AM
bSmart book club: Discussion of Mindy Kaling's memoir "Why Not Me?" 2 6 Sep 14, 2017 05:44AM
Mindy Kaling's books 1 15 Sep 14, 2017 05:31AM
Fantastic Books &...: August's Book! 1 5 Aug 04, 2017 03:21PM
  • The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy
  • The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
  • I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
  • Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers
  • Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation
  • Displacement: A Travelogue
  • I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star
  • Little Victories: Perfect Rules for Imperfect Living
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
  • In the Country We Love: My Family Divided
  • I Know I Am, But What Are You?
  • Unabrow: Misadventures of a Late Bloomer
  • Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
  • Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
  • No Land's Man
  • We Killed: The Rise of Women in American Comedy
  • Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You
  • Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living
Mindy Kaling is an actor, writer, producer, and director. She currently stars in the Hulu original comedy series “The Mindy Project," which she also writes and executive produces.

Before "The Mindy Project," Mindy was best known for her work on the critically acclaimed, Emmy Award-winning NBC show “The Office.” In addition to directing, producing, and portraying celebrity-obsessed Kelly Kapoor, M
More about Mindy Kaling

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine.” 217 likes
“People get scared when you try to do something, especially when it looks like you're succeeding. People do not get scared when you're failing. It calms them. But when you're winning, it makes them feel like they're losing or, worse yet, that maybe they should've tried to do something too, but now it's too late. And since they didn't, they want to stop you. You can't let them.” 189 likes