Start by marking “Blood's Echo” as Want to Read:
Blood's Echo

Blood's Echo

(A Veranda Cruz Mystery #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Whenever the lust for drugs, money, and power lays claim to a city, brutality is never far behind. Phoenix detective Veranda Cruz is dead set on taking down the Villalobos Cartel, but the ruthlessness of her quarry demands a ruthless edge of her own.

Detective Veranda Cruz leads an elite task force on the Phoenix Police Drug Enforcement Bureau. Bartolo Villalobos is the
Published March 8th 2017 by Midnight Ink (first published March 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Blood's Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood's Echo

Skip
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Detective Veranda Cruz leads a drug enforcement team in the Phoenix PD. Her mission in life is to put a stop to the Villalobos cartel for personal and professional reasons. She is part of a large Mexican family of immigrants, led by her mother, who brought the family north when her husband, also a police officer, was murdered by El Lobo, head of the cartel. Maldonado does a nice job with the family dynamic, and their success in building a successful restaurant and family compound whil ...more
Janet
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Drug cartels fascinate me. Maybe it's because I live in a border state. I lapped up Don Winslow's Power of the Dog and it's sequel The Cartel and I eagerly await the 3rd book in that series. In the meantime, this is one of the books that crossed my radar.

Maldonado is a debut author, a former police officer and although she's not a Phoenix native, she lives here now. Blood Echo was published by Midnight Ink so it's not the glossy production you get with one of the big publishing houses but that d
Jim
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
"Blood's Echo", is author Isabella Maldonado's sizzling debut in her Veranda Cruz suspense series. Cruz is a detective in the Phoenix PD with her primary job being to attack the ruthless Villalobos cartel who have a stranglehold on organized crime in Arizona. Cruz has made a serious dent in the cartel's operations with several successful stings under her belt. Heading a task force to interrupt the Villalobos drug operations in Phoenix, Cruz has made some very heavy duty enemies. After a drug bus ...more
Pia
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good debut book by Isabella Maldonado.

Veranda Cruz works in law enforcement in Phoenix, Arizona. She is obsessed with fighting the drug cartels, especially the Villalobos cartel. Living in a country where the cartels are day to day news, it's very vivid and well described.

I like the strong character that Veranda is, I also love her family who stands together always, and that there's a love interest in the book.

My only "but" is that the Spanish expressions sometimes sound wrong to me, but I have
Deborah Ledford
Fantastic debut novel. Author Maldonado accesses her former law enforcement professional status and takes the reader to a world few can convey in words. The female heroine, Veranda Cruz, is one I look forward to learning more about in upcoming books. This is a wild ride, featuring real-world situations you won't want to miss. Can't wait for book 2 of the series!
Steven
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific debut by an ex-cop who really knows what she is writing about. Lively characters that bring Phoenix to life. The writing is crisp and the pace is fast. Don't miss this terrific crime story that could have been ripped from the headlines of today's paper.
Audrey
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

This is a solid police procedural by a first time author. Detective Veranda Cruz is smart, dedicated and determined to take down a powerful drug cartel. I love the depictions with her family and would love to eat at that family restaurant. I’m really looking forward to book 2 and I think this author will only get better with time.
Jackie Rogers
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this novel. Is Detective Veranda Cruz's story. Is about her work as a police officer in Phoenix. She is out to put a stop to the Villalobos cartel. She wants to bring them down for job reasons and personal reasons. Her family owns a restaurant in the city and are very close. Being immigrants from Mexico, work has been their first name. The drug lord targets Veranda as she gets too close to hes operation. He is a character one loves to hate. The book is full of action on every page ...more
Kari Wainwright
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Isabella Maldonado brings her law enforcement background to the forefront in her debut novel, Blood’s Echo. Detective Veranda Cruz isn’t a typical cop battling a drug cartel. From her distinctive name to her haunted past, she is different from any adversary the drug cartel, the Villalobos, have yet encountered. And they know it, which is why her life is in such danger.
This story is as much about family as it is about crime, both Veranda’s as well as El Lobo’s, the head of the cartel. For Verand
Carol
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective Veranda Cruz is determined to stop the Villalobos cartel. For personal reasons
her obsession with them will not quit and as she gets closer they target both her and her family.
The plot is strong and the story flows at a very good pace, creating suspense all along the way.
The characters were well-rounded and realistic, and the story beautifully written.
I Liked Veranda Cruz, she is so supporting of her family, so strong in her convictions,
and does her job with integrity and courage.
I wil
Adriana Arrington
An excellent read! This novel brims with authenticity. Maldonado (a former law enforcement professional) draws on her personal experience to create convincing details that pull the reader deeper into the story. Likewise, the Phoenix setting is so real it jumps off the page, and you can almost feel the heat (literal and metaphorical) that dogs the protagonist, Veranda Cruz, throughout the novel. I especially loved the camaraderie between police officers, and their friendly banter felt very lifeli ...more
Pascal Marco
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was thoroughly impressed by Isabella Maldonado’s debut novel, BLOOD’S ECHO. The author did a great job of developing an intricate story of a drug cartel Family hell bent on a making deep inroads into pushing their drugs into The Valley of the Sun—Phoenix. What they did not account for was the tenacious effort of a lone City of Phoenix cop, Veranda Cruz, who had her own plans about thwarting the future of the Viillalobos cartel taking over her home town.
With “skin in the game” beyond what any r
Rose
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fast paced thriller set in Phoenix. Spunky Det. Veranda Cruz has a secret vendetta against the vicious Villalobos cartel. The story is full of twists and turns as she races to save her own family once the cartel is on to her.
Timothy Moore
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Isabella Maldonado's debut novel Blood's Echo, is fast paced and reveals the inner workings of a the Phoenix Police Department through a determined Detective Veranda Cruz. With her "fight like a girl" attitude, something that probably emerged from the author's police experience, always finding a way to win the fight against a usually male opponent who carries more size, strength and weight.
Climbedhighestmountain
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I met the author at a library book fair. As a volunteer with the Mesa police (that's right outside Phoenix), I couldn't resist buying Maldonado's book. I read it in one day. Lots of great detail on police procedures, internal intrigue. It's a *Goodread*!
KarnagesMistress
Nov 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is an uncorrected proof (galley).
C.J. Shane
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blood’s Echo is a police procedural that is action-packed and full of suspense. In fact, I can’t think of another writer who is doing a better job at suspenseful action (move over Lee Child). This book is a page-turner for sure. We follow detective Veranda Cruz in her intensive, concentrated effort to bring down the VillaLobos Cartel which operates in both Mexican and the U.S., specifically Phoenix. For Cruz, it’s personal because the cartel is responsible for the death of a family member. She i ...more
David Lowe
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book not exceptional when compared to other genre's books. I expect more and better having seen her in Tucson.
Kelci Parra
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was hooked the whole time! The story is so well told. Can't wait for more!
Kellye
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first chapter, Blood's Echo will appeal to those who love both thrill-a-minute action films and crime fiction. The author uses her vast personal experience as a former police officer to give us an inside look at law enforcement and a fantastic story to boot. Main character Veranda Cruz engages in a battle of wits with what has to be the scariest character I've read in a long time. (And I love crime fiction.) I can't wait for the next book.
Cathy Cole
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blood's Echo is a fast-paced juggernaut of a thriller led by a strong, interesting woman. While Veranda Cruz tries to bring down one of the most powerful drug cartels in the world, readers learn quite a bit about family dynamics-- both within Veranda's large and caring Hispanic family and the drug cartel itself.

Veranda and Cole Anderson, the arson investigator, are the strongest characters in the book, and while the secondary cast is good, it's not as developed as these two. I look forward to se
Marian Gall
Apr 12, 2018
Taylor Chism
Nov 11, 2017
Isabella Maldonado
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jackie Sereno
Apr 12, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Same book appears twice in my profile 3 191 Mar 17, 2017 07:19AM

A Veranda Cruz Mystery (2 books)
  • Phoenix Burning

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Christmas Caramel Murder (Hannah Swenson, #20)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon