Start by marking “Called to Justice (Quaker Midwife Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Called to Justice (Quaker Midwife Mystery #2)

Called to Justice (Quaker Midwife Mystery #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
When Hannah Breed confides to midwife Rose Carroll that she's pregnant out of wedlock, Rose promises to help her through the pregnancy and figure out a way to break the news to her family. But that night, amid the noise and revelry of the Independence Day fireworks, Hannah is found shot dead.

Published April 8th 2017 by Midnight Ink

Betty
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, cozy, e-books, historical
The second in this historical Quaker Midwife series. It is set in a New England factory town in 1888 depicting life in the area. Historical details, the Quaker faith, and birthing details are accurate. The birthing data may bother some. I have not read the first but I had no trouble understanding narrative.
Rose Carroll is attending the July 4th celebration when an unmarried Quaker, Hannah informs her that she is pregnant. She refuses to name the father saying they cannot marry.
That evening durin
Mark Baker
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, mystery
It’s the fourth of July, and Rose Carroll is taking the day off from her midwife duties to enjoy the holiday when an older teen, Hannah, approaches her and confesses that she is pregnant. Rose doesn’t know what to do to help Hannah, but she promises to try. Unfortunately, while enjoying the fireworks that night, Rose responds to a commotion in the crowd to find that Hannah has been shot. When a fellow Quaker accused of the crime, Rose sets out to figure out what really happened. Can she do it?

I
LORI CASWELL
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

In her follow up to Delivering the Truth Edith Maxwell takes us back to Amesbury, Massachusetts in 1888 just in time for the Independence Day celebration. Rose Carroll is enjoying the fireworks with her beau David Dodge when gunshots ring out and a young woman in found dead. A former slave and Friend becomes the prime suspect leading Rose to delve into the investigation herself. She finds her life in danger the closer she gets to learning the truth. Just when she needs him mos
Kristina
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Called to Justice by Edith Maxwell is the second book in A Quaker Midwife Mystery series. Rose Carroll is a Quaker midwife in Amesbury, Massachusetts. Rose is watching the Fourth of July parade when she is approached by Hannah Breed, a seventeen-year-old mill worker. Hannah confides in Rose that she is pregnant, but she is unwilling to reveal the identity of the father. Rose agrees to help the young woman. Later that evening, Rose is enjoying the fireworks display with her beau, Dr. David Dodge. ...more
Barb
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another tour de force by Edith Maxwell. CALLED TO JUSTICE is a brilliantly written, historically accurate tale of a Midwife in Amesbury, Massachusetts, in the late 1800's. Although fictional, there are many real historical figures such as John Greenleaf Whittier, noted poet and Quaker, who play ongoing roles in this delightful series.
Susan
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
1888 Independence Day, and Quaker midwife Rose Carroll is at the evening's fireworks display when a young female is shot. When a fellow Quaker and former slave is accused Rose investigates.
An enjoyable mystery, with a little romance, and a well-written story.
A NetGalley Book
Penmouse
Called to Justice by Edith Maxwell is a well paced mystery that's light on the midwifery aspect of storytelling. I love how there is an emphasis on good writing as the author deftly moves the story along with good plotting and lovely language. I also love how the author educates the reader about the Quaker faith.

Recommend.

Review written after downloading a galley from Net Galley.
Mary Garrett
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m warmed by a feeling that all’s right with the world, after a practically non-stop reading of Edith Maxwell’s CALLED TO JUSTICE. So many problems intertwine in the usually quiet town of Amesbury, MA, as midwife Rose Carroll works to bring newborns into safe, loving homes. The Quaker traditions of speaking truth to power and being quiet in worship but far from quiet in the face of injustice mean that Rose cannot look away when Friend Akwasi Ayensu is falsely accused of murder. The plot is comp ...more
Grace Koshida
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Midwife Rose Carroll is enjoying the 1888 Independence Day evenng fireworks with her beau David Dodge when teenaged Quaker mill girl Hannah Breed is found shot dead. Former slave and a fellow Quaker Akwasi Ayensu is accused of the murder. Rose is convinced of his innocence and does her own sleuthing. An ill-mannered mill manager, an Irish immigrant mill girl, and Hannah's young boyfriend come under suspicion even as Rose’s future with her handsome doctor suitor becomes unsure. Rose’s Quaker fait ...more
Carolyn Vandine west
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, mystery, netgalley
I really enjoyed this laid back Quaker mystery. I believe a first in Quaker genre for me. Since this was a galley proof from NetGalley I had not read the first book in the series, a mistake that I will remedy.
Rose Carrell is a younger midwife that seems to stumble into mysteries as a sideline to her full-time midwife practice. This time a young girl that works at the local mill confides to Rose that she is with child and unmarried. Shortly thereafter she is murdered and a local African is blamed
Erika
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Called to Justice is as much historical fiction as it is cozy mystery, and I found both aspects of the story to be riveting. A young, unmarried woman confides in Rose that she is expecting a child, and then ends up being murdered during the Independence Day fireworks celebration. Determined to find justice for the girl and her unborn child, Rose manages to squeeze in a little investigating, between birthing babies and checking on the well-being of her clientele of local women waiting to deliver. ...more
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rose is a Quaker midwife, in love with a non Quaker. Hannah confides in Rose that she is pregnant out of wedlock. That night during the 4th of July fireworks Hannah is found shot dead. A former slave and fellow Quaker is accused of the murder Rose starts trying to prove him innocent. Rose continues to deliver babies while looking at the ill-mannered mill manager, Irish immigrant and Hannah's boyfriend to figure out who did it.
Leslie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another appealing entry in this well-researched, well-written series. Rose Carroll is a terrific character, and the times and setting are portrayed so clearly that I feel I'm walking the streets of 1888 Amesbury, Mass with her. Maxwell makes writing look easy -- and certainly makes the reading easy!
Bill
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1888, Amesbury, Massachusetts, and Quaker midwife Rose Carroll finds herself busy attending pregnant women, delivering babies, and helping afterward, when she finds herself deep into another mystery.

A young woman mill worker is shot during the July 4th celebration and a fellow member of the Society of Friends, a former slave, has been arrested on circumstantial evidence.

Rose feels ‘called to justice’ to help her fellow Quaker, and begins to understand some of the darker currents in her north eas
Sarah Davies
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Quaker midwife Rose Carroll is enjoying the 1888 Independence Day evening fireworks with her beau when a teenaged Quaker mill girl is found shot dead. After a former slave and fellow Quaker is accused of the murder, Rose delves into the crime, convinced of the man's innocence. An ill-mannered mill manager, an Irish immigrant, and the victim's young boyfriend come under suspicion even as Rose's future with her handsome doctor suitor becomes unsure. Rose continues to deliver babies and listen to s ...more
Hadenmaiden
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apparently this is the second in a series of novels about Quaker Midwife Rose Carroll. It's a murder mystery that comes somewhere between the tense, gory type and the cozy, fluffy type.
It's set in 1888, and Rose inadvertently stumbles across a violent death which may, or may not be murder.
Rose is a very modern sort of a girl. Strong in her Quaker faith, yet a remarkably independent young woman for her time. An acquaintance of hers is accused of committing the crime, and Rose struggles to find o
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Midnight Ink for providing me with a free electronic ARC of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

This is the second book in the ‘A Quaker Midwife’ series, and I was lucky enough to get to read the first one, due to a suggestion by the author herself. I enjoyed it so much - you can see my review for ‘Delivering the Truth’ here that I have been hanging out for this the second book.

I found ‘Called to Justice just as good’ as the first book ‘Deliv
Missi Stockwell
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"Death. Betrayal. Sickness. Thievery. Rape." .... In a Quaker Midwife Mystery series ??
Trust. Love. Commitment. Friendship. Life. .... In a Quaker Midwife Mystery series ??

Absolutely !!! Called to Justice by Edith Maxwell has that and a whole lot more.

The main character, Rose, is a Quaker and a midwife and a friend to everyone. Rose is a very good listener and will do whatever she can to help someone.....even if it could be dangerous.

While enjoying a day of celebration Rose vows to help Hannah,
K.A. Davis
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The reader is transported to Amesbury, Massachusetts in 1888. Oh my, what an eye opening book this was and makes me realize how much we take every day conveniences and medical, technological, and social advances for granted! The author brings the life of a midwife to full view in an era before technology, modern medicine and hospitals. The perils that can befall the newborn and new mothers alike are treated with compassion and grace. I found myself hoping for the best in each birth the protagoni ...more
Liz
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rose Carroll is a Quaker midwife in Amesbury, Massachusetts and on Independence Day Hannah Breed comes to Rose and confides to her that she is pregnant out of wedlock. Rose is not sure what to do to help her right then, but promises Hannah that she will help her. Later that night amidst the fireworks Hannah is found shot dead.

Another Quaker, a former slave is accused of the murder, and arrested. Rose once again envolves herself in the investigation as she is confident that her fellow Quaker is i
Carole Jarvis
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2uPBtla

Called to Justice by Edith Maxwell is an impressive story. It is steeped in historical detail that is not only interesting, but fascinating, and I felt transported to the small factory town of Amesbury, Massachusetts of 1888. A beautiful setting, the Quaker faith, and the birthing of babies all combine to give a feeling of authenticity, and I loved the historical references to people like John Greenleaf Whittier. Characters and plot are deligh
Grace J Reviewerlady
As I enjoyed the first Quaker Midwife book so much, I was more than happy to discover this next one - and it does not disappoint.

Rose Carroll is not without her faults and strains at times to practice what her religion preaches but, more than anything, her strong sense of right and wrong shines throughout these tales. It was comforting to be re-acquainted with her friends and family in this brand new and well planned mystery.

Whilst her midwifery career continues to flourish in the community of A
Donia
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize when I picked up this book that it was the second book in a series. Maybe reading book number one might have helped me appreciate this novel. There was so much wrong with the way the story was constructed. The story began on an interesting note but it quickly went down hill.

The first thing that began upsetting me about this story which I really wanted to like ( I love midwife stories) was that the time period felt modern. It did NOT feel Victorian what so ever. The second thing
Maureen Timerman
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
We are back with Rose in an 1880’s Quaker Village of Amesbury, MA, and she is still the midwife, and David is still in the picture.
We meet injustice face on when a man of color is accused of murder, but who did commit the crime. Rose is sure that this gentle man did not, but a young mill girl is murdered at the Fourth of July Celebration, and she has just let Rose in on a secret.
The author does a great job of making me believe I’m am attending the deliveries, riding a horse to the beach, or just
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Rose is looking forward to the Independence Day celebrations (not least the fact that her suitor is planning on taking her to see the fireworks that evening), whilst she is stood waiting to see the parade a young Quaker girl asks to speak with her privately, it turns out that she is pregnant (but refuses to say who the father is) before Rose can make arrangements to help however Hannah is shot.  The problem is the finger of blame is being pointed at another Quaker, purely because he is of Africa ...more
Linda Smatzny
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is set in 1888 in Amesbury, Mass. and features Rose Carroll, midwife as its main character. The book starts on July 4, 1888 when a young woman is murdered at the fireworks display. This event happens near where Rose and her friend where watching the display. They rush to help but the girl dies. Rose knows the girl and had spoken to her earlier in the day and thus becomes involved in the investigation while still continuing to deliver babies. The series is very enjoyable because the time ...more
Julia
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very well-written, well-plotted mystery set in the small town of Amesbury, MA in 1888. The MC is Rose, who is a very strong female character, a very independent women.

I enjoyed this story, although I had not read the first book in the series. Further, I should confess that I read this book mainly because of the Quaker background and it being set in the late 19th century than for the murder mystery.

Thank you to the publishers for providing a copy of the novel through NetGalley.
Sue
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading a book set in my home town of Amesbury,MA. A Quaker midwife in 1888 lives a busy life helping people, not only new mothers, but many folk who live in town and have problems. Racial prejudice, crooked factory bosses, the inequality of women... alll are covered in the story. There is a kindness that exists in town that can overshadow al the evils. Much like there is today, for those who still love the town.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
While I certainly enjoyed Called to Justice (and plan to continue reading the series), I do feel that the mystery took a bit of a back seat to the romance and personal life of the main character, Rose. The pacing of the book is slowish, which I think actually works really well with the setting. This is a good choice for fans of historical mysteries who like a little more focus on the historical setting and atmosphere and don't mind of the mystery is a bit lighter.
Patricia Hullett
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful historical story about midwife Rose Carroll and her Quaker faith. Living in a 19th century New England factory town Rose finds her self trying to solve a murder, delivering babies and dealing with her soon to be husband's mother who does not want her doctor son to marry Rose, a Quaker.
It was very good and I love Edith Maxwell (the author). I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Edith Maxwell is an Agatha-nominated and national bestselling mystery author who writes the Local Foods Foods Mysteries. Book five, MULCH ADO ABOUT MURDER, releases in 2017. Edith once owned and operated the smallest certified-organic farm in Essex County, Massachusetts.

Maxwell also writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries. DELIVERING THE TRUTH, featuring a Quaker midwife sleuth in 1888, re
More about Edith Maxwell

Quaker Midwife Mystery (3 books)
  • Delivering the Truth (Quaker Midwife Mystery, #1)
  • Turning the Tide

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)