Start by marking “A Greyhound, a Groundhog” as Want to Read:
A Greyhound, a Groundhog

A Greyhound, a Groundhog

From a heavyweight author-and-illustrator duo comes a delicious tongue twister of a picture book that features a little round greyhound and a little round groundhog. With very spare, incredibly lively language, this is an entertaining read-aloud, with two amazing and oh-so-adorable characters at its heart.
When a greyhound meets a groundhog, wordplay and crazy antics
Published January 3rd 2017 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about A Greyhound, a Groundhog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Greyhound, a Groundhog

Start your review of A Greyhound, a Groundhog
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book is super cute, but the pictures below will tell you the real reason I bought and read this book

I love my Greyhound

Around, round hound.

Around, groundhog!

Around, brown hog.

Around, grey dog!

The point of this book isn't the story (there is no story) but instead to serve as a tongue-twister and make the adult reader and the child laugh.

A groundhog and a greyhound meet and spend the day chasing each other around a field.

The pictures are beautiful. I would recommend this. It's fun.
Carol
Jan 27, 2017 added it
Sincere thanks to my GR friend LauraH for taking the time to recommend this simply delightful children's picture book.

Subtle toned greys and browns go round and round in this tongue twisting, beautifully illustrated book just begging to be read out loud.
David Schaafsma
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #6 of 2017.

Tara: 4.5 stars. Love it! Like the Pear Bear book. And nice watercolors.
Harry (12): 3.5 stars. Didn't get what it was really trying to say, but art.
Hank (11): 2.9 stars. Made me so dizzy! Didn't get the message.
Lyra (10): 3.5 stars. Pretty good! I liked the idea, and
Jessica
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my word! Not only is the art simply delicious, but the words are delightful! A poem, a tongue-twister, a darling story all in one, and seriously: THE ART.
Donalyn
Fantastic read aloud! Practice first.
KC
Delightful tale and fantastic illustrations.
Ariel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I picked this book up intending to bring it along with me when I substitute teach but after going through it I see it just won't work. There is no story to keep the kids engaged. The text is rhyming words and adorable illustrations of a greyhound and a groundhog that play together. I would use this book if I was teaching a child to read but it's a tongue twister to read out loud and there is no story to follow. This book makes me realize what a genius Dr. Seuss was. He created simple rhyming ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Loved the water color art and the feeling of motion Appelhans brought to the illustrations. What can I say? I'd been meaning to read it because I like Jenkins' work consistently, but to spot it on Groundhog Day? It was meant to be. And so pretty and frenetic.

Library copy
Hannah
A GREYHOUND, A GROUNDHOG is a deliriously delightful whirl of a book. With a nod to Ruth Kraus’ playful use of language (Jenkins even dedicates the book to her), the text artfully, rhythmically spins round, tying the reader’s tongue as it bounces along without ever becoming tiresome or repetitive, despite the limited palette word-wise. Appelhan’s gorgeously spare watercolor illustrations complement the prose perfectly--his greyhound and and groundhog are joyously expressive, full of movement, ...more
Lobstergirl
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books, canine
Laura Harrison
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious with mind-blowingly good delicate and beautiful illustrations. Love it!
Abigail
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Fun New Read-Alouds for Younger Children
A gray greyhound and a round groundhog befriend one another in this tongue-twister of a tale, going round and round in a chase that ends in the pair happily collapsed together.

The text in A Greyhound, a Groundhog is minimal but demanding, switching words and sounds around in a narrative dance that perfectly reflects the joy of its two titular characters, and their dance together. The artwork by Chris Appelhans, done in watercolor and pencil, is immensely engaging, full of motion and (muted)
Nadine Jones
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, dogs
I am a dog lover, and one of my dogs looks a bit like the dog in this book, although she is neither gray nor a greyhound, she is long and slim and pretty and a little bit silly (although she would never admit that), and I could NOT resist this book!! This is short and simple and sweet and I challenge you to read it out loud without tripping on your tongue. (I could not do it.)
Ngoc
Aug 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm so confused as an adult, not sure how a child would react.
Jen
I loved the tongue twisters in this book! They certainly tripped me up a few times. And the illustrations are too cute for words!
Raina
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
My kid was super into this for a while - great wordplay combined with friendly illustrations.
It was one of the first books they read to me all the way through in one sitting!
Becky Loader
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. I had to read through this book five times--just because all the tongue-twisting was so much fun. Our little neighbors laughed out loud at it, and I must admit that I did, too.

The illustrator knows dogs because the posture of the Greyhound ("A hound...a grey hound...a Greyhound...a round hound...a hound) is so accurate.

Fun, fun, fun!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Tongue-twister....would be a hilarious read aloud but need to practice to make it work
Great concept well executed
Tasha
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a picture book that will leave you breathless in two ways. First, it is an astounding feat of wordplay that romps and gallops. Second, if you read this aloud I guarantee you will be out of breath by the end, much to the delight of your little listeners. A long lean greyhound that is round when it curls to sleep meets a very round brown groundhog and the two of them spend time playing together. They run and dash, filling the pages with movement and speed. The book takes a lovely pause ...more
Barbara
While this picture book is a departure from the usual serious issues, themes, and topics that I like to explore in my reading material, it is a delight to read aloud because of the tongue-twisting elements that are in the text. Although it doesn't have much of a plot other than the fun a greyhound and a groundhog, a most unlikely duo, have in their time together, the fun comes from examining the illustrations, rendered in watercolor and pencil, and hearing all those carefully-chosen words that ...more
Maria Shuffit
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little tongue-twister book - I would most recommend it for children who are comfortable with their reading skills and might find it fun to have a challenge to read aloud. I would veer away from having kids who might be struggling with reading aloud, as it is a sound play that can get discombobulating and might discourage them. It would be good for an adult to read aloud to young children - even I was getting my tongue turned around when I read it to my guy!
Krissy Neddo
No plot. Not sure who I would read it to. Not sure who would check it out. Only caught my interest because I like Emily Jenkins' Skunkdog and Toys Go Out.

Later edit: I read this to my Kinders and they laughed when I got tongue tied, but not sure I need this book to get them laughing. So many others- like This Book Has No Pictures. Just not for me.
Kifflie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A tongue-twisting tale about a dog and a hog. While the text is fun, I think the illustrations are better -- they do a great job of showing the two animal friends in motion. Definitely a good read-aloud book.
Megan Smith
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, just lovely. I read this, put it down, made myself a cup of tea, grabbed a copy of e. e. cummings' poetry and then immediately read this again, followed by more poetry. The illustrations are delicate and perfect, too.
Hannah Higson
I read this alongside Victoria. She loved it and I was not a fan. I think the pictures are beautifully drawn and help show what the text was inferring. However, I did not enjoy the tongue twister part of it.
Jocelin
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I liked the simple illustrations of this book. If you can read this really fast, it is tongue-twisting fun.
Earl
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cute illustrations. Maybe I actually need to hear this being read aloud and to see people's reactions to it for me to have any kind of reaction to it.
Zozo
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is tongue-twisting.true!
Alisa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all things greyhound, so when I saw this title among the best of 2017's books, I had to check it out. Literally. From the library.

Emily Jenkins' A Greyhound, A Groundhog is a children's picture book and tongue twister. The illustrations by Chris Appelhans are beautifully soft and pastel. Appelhans captures the fluid movements of a greyhound with finesse. My only gripe about this book is that the greyhound is grey! Most greyhounds are NOT grey--they come in a variety of lovely color

• Little Fox in the Forest
  • Triangle
  • Over and Under the Pond
  • The Book of Mistakes
  • Jabari Jumps
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • Be Quiet!
  • The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist
  • A Perfect Day
  • Malala's Magic Pencil
  • Not Quite Narwhal
  • We're All Wonders
  • The Case of the Stinky Stench
Emily Jenkins is the author of many books for children, including the recent picture books Tiger and Badger, illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay, and Princessland, illustrated by Yoko Tanaka. Her chapter books include the Toys series, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky; she is co-author of the Upside-down Magic series. Emily Jenkins lives in New York City.