Start by marking “DNS and BIND” as Want to Read:
DNS and BIND

DNS and BIND

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  652 ratings  ·  22 reviews
DNS and BIND tells you everything you need to work with one of the Internet's fundamental building blocks: the distributed host information database that's responsible for translating names into addresses, routing mail to its proper destination, and even listing phone numbers with the new ENUM standard. This book brings you up-to-date with the latest changes in this crucia ...more
Paperback, 5th Edition, 642 pages
Published June 2nd 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 1996)

To ask other readers questions about DNS and BIND, please sign up.
Tom What do you have in mind? Is there this much to discuss about this book? Perhaps instead of a discussion group about this book, perhaps an online "cla…moreWhat do you have in mind? Is there this much to discuss about this book? Perhaps instead of a discussion group about this book, perhaps an online "class" group would be better, where you read chapters in the book and then make exercises or labs.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of DNS and BIND
Soham
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the go-to text for all things DNS. Even though the majority of this manual focuses largely on setting up DNS through BIND, it is the most comprehensive guide to learning, setting up, and managing DNS, regardless of which DNS server the reader is accustomed to.

Reading this text cover-to-cover is an ordeal, and not recommended for most readers. Instead, this should be used as a reference manual that can be returned to as necessary. Read the introduction for pointers on which chapters ar
Dmitry
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sre
A great book for an engineer, who wants to know how DNS works.
Ignas
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really detailed and gives lots of information. I was skimming it through and was easy to get and understand main ideas and principles.
Alex Le
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the fundamental book that ALL web developers should read. It increases my knowledge of why and how the internet works significantly. The concept of DNS is explained thoroughly and every easy to understand. Once you get the basic (witch is the first 100 pages or so), the rest of the book can be used to learn more about how Bind works and administrative works.

As a web developer, what I learned from the first part of the book about DNS is invaluable. I can understand the network and
finisherr
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Critical for anyone working in desktop support, systems administration and systems engineering. It provides an introduction and gentle explanation of DNS and moves on to review common applications of DNS via Bind. I strongly recommend reading this for a general understanding and using the official Bind documentation as a reference for more detail.
Jurvis
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i've read (and reread) large portions of this book, but not the whole thing. i've used it to implement some novel uses of bind views with proper zone transfers. i'll definitely reach for it the next time i find my dns infrastructure wanting.
Josh Readmore
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
DNS can at times be a perplexing beast. This is a very thick reference on the subject, and can help you learn about this surprisingly rich lore. This book is probably less helpful in a crisis - but who knows?
George Silva
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
great book. gives good understanding of the foundations on internet and some tcpip protocol.

not only that, teaches everything there is to know about bind in several versions. easy language and another great oreilly book.
Jack Repenning
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Great example of the best of the O'Reilly tech books. This is actually the most-used work on my bookshelf, though mostly for the table in the back telling what country controls the top-level domains (so I know where my spam is coming from ;-)
Laurent
May 06, 2013 added it
Shelves: linux, networking
A great read.
I almost met Cricket Liu when I interviewed for a company where he was CTO... but in the end, I chose to stay in Vancouver a couple more years.
Neil
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cricket's speaks clearly about a sometimes obtuse topic. I completed this book but it's one of those books that you can read cover to cover and use as a reference.
Terranaut
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've lent out my dog-eared and beverage-stained copy (signed) like a bankers pen -- and I've bothered to retrieve it each time. how could I not recommend it?
Hector
Jun 05, 2012 added it
No comments
Mike
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was the editor for this book, not the author. This is a classic, though. One of the best books I've ever worked on.

This edition is out of date. Get the 5th edition.
Daniel Yakiwchuk
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sysadmin
The definitive guide to BIND. Many different revisions of this book have called my sysadmin bookshelf home for years.
-uht!
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Tis book really gave me a broad understanding of how the web really works. It was cool to understand the historyf how DNS was developed.
Laurence
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is the gold standard and I think it could have been written by one of my colleagues, Tan. Yes, when a server had issues recently he rebuilt the DNS settings from scratch.
Puercozon
May 28, 2020
Aaron Dalton
Mar 03, 2013

• TCP/IP Network Administration
  • George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (Little Books of Wisdom)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning Yiddish
  • Shinto: The Kami Way
  • Latin for Dummies
  • Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Finding Your Father's War: A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the World War II US Army
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises for Men and Women
  • Corps Strength: A Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant's Program for Elite Fitness
  • American Holocaust: Columbus and the Conquest of the New World
  • Special Forces Fitness Training: Gym-Free Workouts to Build Muscle and Get in Elite Shape
  • The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
  • Civilian Warriors: The Inside Story of Blackwater and the Unsung Heroes of the War on Terror
  • Women
  • HomeMade Muscle: Strong & Lean Without going to the Gym (Motivational Bodyweight Home Workout)
  • Day Trading 101: From Understanding Risk Management and Creating Trade Plans to Recognizing Market Patterns and Using Automated Software, an Essential Primer in Modern Day Trading (Adams 101)
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »