Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Hawkline Monster” as Want to Read:
The Hawkline Monster
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Hawkline Monster

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  3,683 ratings  ·  279 reviews
The time is 1902, the setting eastern Oregon. Magic Child, a fifteen-year-old Indian girl, wanders into the wrong whorehouse looking for the right men to kill the monster that lives in the ice caves under the basement of Miss Hawkline's yellow house. What follows is a series of wild, witty, and bizarre encounters. The book was originally published in 1974.
Paperback, 216 pages
Published September 15th 1975 by Touchstone (first published 1974)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Hawkline Monster, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.90  · 
Rating details
 ·  3,683 ratings  ·  279 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
karen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
i am willing to give second chances.

even if i am angered or bewildered or heartbroken, i am always willing to take stock of circumstances, offer up the opportunity for redemption, and allow someone back into the warmth of my heart. we should all be as emotionally charitable as me. just don't fuck up a second time.

i read this brautigan novel with trepidation. that motherfucker burned me before.

are you distressed that i have already used variants of the word "fuck" twice in the first fifty or so
...more
Melki
"It just howls and pounds on the iron door that's between the ice caves and the laboratory. We've kept the door locked ever since our father disappeared."

"What does it sound like?" Cameron said.

"It sounds like the combination of water being poured into a glass," Miss Hawkline said. "A dog barking and the muttering of a drunk parrot. And very, very loud."

"I think we're going to need the shotgun for this one," Cameron said.


...and maybe a bigger boat while you're at it...

This is a freaky acid trip
...more
Gypsy

اگه حالوهواتون یه طوریه که یه داستان خلخلی و جمعوجور میخواین اما نه جلف و زرد(حالا از جلدش که بگذریم :دی) هیولای هاوکلاین بیاندازه خوبه. بیاندازه. هم طنزه، هم داستان داره، هم از نظر ادبی در نوع خودش جالبه و بازیهای خاصی داره، هم ماجراهاش سرگرمکنندهن، بعضی دیالوگها و واکنشها اینقد عالیان که یه لحظه میخوای براتیگان کنارت باشه بزنی روی شونهش بگی ماشالا داداچ. :)))

ریویوی بهداد و عماد هم اینقد خوب بودن که من فقط اومدم بزنم روی شونههاشون. :همر:
...more
Vit Babenco
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whatever Richard Brautigan wrote, his writings, despite their deceptive simplicity, possessed some hidden magic. And so it is with a playful gothic tale The Hawkline Monster.
“They did not look tough or mean. They looked like a relaxed essence distilled from these two qualities. They acted as if they were very intimate with something going on that nobody else could see.” These are the heroes – the goodhearted killers for hire.
“When they were a hundred yards away from the house, the air suddenly t
...more
ZaRi
هیولای هاوکلاین یک روایت است که ماجراهای دو هفتتیرکش و قاتل حرفهای به نامهای "گریر" و "کامرون" را برای مخاطب بازگو میکند اما در عین حال هیولای هاوکلاین تنها یک رمان درباره زندگی دو قاتل نیست و در لایههای عمیقتر تغییر فرهنگ غرب را به سوی مدرنیته بررسی میکند.
در همین راستا که دو کاراکتر داستانی از اورگان به شهری دورافتاده سفر میکنند و این سفر که برای انجام ماموریتی صورت پذیرفته هست کمکم به جستوجو در تاریخ غرب تغییر شکل میدهد و براتیگان با استفاده از سمبل ها و تمثیلهای مختلف بخشی از تاریخ ایالات متح
...more
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I grabbed this one because it said Gothic Western on the cover. It was a really odd one. The writing is simplistic but has a bit of a hypnotic quality. I'll read more Brautigan if I happen across them.
Jakob J.
A Gothic Western?
Really? Pretentious much? What were you Brautigan, one of those writers who said ‘I write so-and-so books, but with a so-and-so twist’? I mean, seriously, give us a bre — oh! Hey, so yeah, a gothic western. Spot on. Who knew one could be so apt in labeling their work. My apologies. Well done.

Having A Go at One of Those Superficially Clever, Show-offy-but-in-reality-rather-hokey-and-stilted-and-at-bottom-irrelevent Mash-up Comparative Descriptions That Critics Tend to Enjoy Imple
...more
Toby
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, western


The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A Gothic Western


'This sure is a weird place,' Greer said.
'It ain't any weirder that Hawaii,' Cameron said.
As it turned out, Cameron was wrong.


Blurb: It is the beginning of the 20th century. A huge yellow house stands in a field of frost in the Dead Hills of East Oregon. In the basement of the house are The Chemicals.

The Chemicals were Professor Hawkline's lifework - but the Professor has disappeared and his lifework must be c
...more
صان
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
وقتی شروع شد با خودم گفتم به نظر کار ضعیفتری میاد. ولی هرچی جلوتر رفت بیشتر جذبش شدم!
به شدت خلاقانهس و فانتزی و جذاب، طوری که اصلن نمیتونی حدس بزنی چه اتفاقی داره میفته و گاهی چیزایی توش رخ میده که از شدت سادگی و احمقانگی قهقهه میزنی!
عالی!
...more
Greg
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
My first experience with Richard Brautigan was not a positive one. I disliked A Confederate General from Big Sur. Karen a similar bad Brautigan reaction to her first book, but she was convinced to give him another try with this book, and I was given the task of taking it out of the library for her. She read it and gave it four stars. Since it's my job to return it to the library, and because she asked me to, I give Brautigan a second chance.

It was ok. I found it enjoyable and it read quickly a
...more
Rick Slane
How many gothic westerns are there? I read this long ago and remember it fondly.
Mattia Ravasi
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Video review

A postmodern House on the Borderland. If you thought Cortazar's "House Taken Over" was already that, hey you're good, and also, that's intellectual postmodernism; this is the crazy hippy variety.
Guns, laughs, random sex and an actual monster: what else you need?
Gabe
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A miniscule, oddball masterpiece. Essentially functioning as one extended deadpan joke, "The Hawkline Monster" is a strange story told straightforwardly. Structured in Brautigan's characteristic fragmentary chapters (which average about two pages and sometimes contain little more than one singular thought), the plot begins with contract killers Greer and Cameron being approached by a stranger named Magic Child. She has a job for them: come to Hawkline Manor, a house in eastern Oregon but near no ...more
Maureen
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maureen by: Ben Loory
a phenomenal book i keep carrying around with me and dipping into over and over again. i read it twice the first time i read it which is always the hallmark of my great favourites.

the simple story really sort of sketches in a lovely series of scenes that play out in a matter of fact way that always hints at poetry, and engages my imagination so that i can see everything so vividly. i love everything about these characters: they are so real to me, natural and uttterly charming.

though it's suppose
...more
نعیمه بخشی
کتابهای براتیگان همیشه و بی هیچ دلیل واضحی خوشخوانن و احتمالا این به نثر روون کتابهاش و طنز ظریفی که به کار میبره برمیگرده. شاید این کتاب بهترین اثر براتیگان نباشه و در مواردی خواننده از بیاتفاقی و خط داستانی مستقیم و بیفراز و نشسیب اون کسل میشد اما حرفی برای گفتن داشت و من بدجوری دلم میخواد هیولا، سایه و غار یخی رو به موضوعات روانکاوی ربط بدم. ...more
Arthur Graham
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just like I always say, whiskey solves everything.
Ben Loory
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can't even really begin to think about understanding why this book is so great. on the one hand, it's simplicity itself; on the other, it's a big shimmering cloud of mystery that floats through your eyes and into your brain and then turns to diamonds when you close the book. so, yeah, i liked it.
Verde
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verde_challenge
¿Os queréis echar unas risas? ¿Queréis saber qué hubiera pasado si Edgar Allan Poe se hubiera bebido a John Kennedy Toole, comido a John Ford y fumado a Bukowski?

Estáis de enhorabuena.

Hacía tiempo que no leía algo tan loco y con una comicidad tan absurda y surrealista. Me ha gustado mucho.

Con una prosa exenta de artificios y capítulos tan cortos que parecen poemas, y no sólo por su extensión, Brautigan nos cuenta las aventuras de dos pistoleros a sueldo, una suerte de cazarecompensas bukowskia
...more
Christoph
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first exposure to Brautigan, although I have one of his trilogy collections in my stack. I wasnt ready to dig into that so when I came across this little volume I snatched it up. A very light read, its only about 150 pages or so and Brautigan uses a very minimalist, trimmed down language in this dark story. You could easily put this down in half a day. Not only does this style make it extremely easy to read, it aptly sets the mood for the story through the eyes of the stark, simple, no-nonsen ...more
Hákon Gunnarsson
I think I’ve read some 100 westerns over the years, but this is like none of the ones I’d read before, but I was expecting that. After all, this is a Richard Brautigan western. It was bound to be a little strange.

In Hawkline Monster he takes two elements, the western, and gothic fiction, and combines it into a Brautiganish weirdness. It’s got hired guns, sexy twins, mad science, big mansion in the country, a missing scientist, a monsters, a thinking shadow, and so on. It’s also got a plot that
...more
Taylor
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with active imaginations who appreciate situational and deadpan humor
I read The Hawkline Monster as part of a collection of three of Brautigan's short works, but we're having our book club meeting about this tonight, so I want to put some thoughts down now.

The Hawkline Monster is a book that the enjoyment of which depends a lot on what you read and why. This can be said of a lot of works, sure, but in particular a book like this is going to disappoint or satisfy based on what you come into a book looking for.

When I read, I want to be entertained, first and foremo
...more
Chrisl
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, oregon, 1970s
Hawkline Monster - Purchased this book with tax payer dollars soon after becoming director,
("chief, cook and bottle washer") of a then 12,000 population "Cowboy" county library. I enjoyed Brautigan's creativity. Sometimes felt it justifiable to buy other books by him, for a limited audience of local readers. Trout Fishing, anyone?

It is mountainous timber and ranching territory with a single small city, located about 35 miles northeast from Bend, Oregon. Near Bend, one of the places I enjoyed v
...more
Bill
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, western
A book I bought by chance after seeing it in the display cabinet of one of my favourite used book stores. It happened that Sep was Western genre month so this being a 'gothic western' and liking the cover, I decided to give it a chance. A very easy, flowing read and a quirky interesting story. The gist being that two gunslingers are hired by a young woman to come to Oregon to kill a monster that resides in the ice caves below their house in Oregon. Many, many strange occurrences, which I'll let ...more
Mark
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Hawkline Monster Blues


THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

Thud Whack Ping.

Thud Whack Ping.

Thud Whack Ping.

Thud Whack Ping.

Thud Whack Ping.
rest.

Thud Whack Ping. rest.
(view spoiler)
La da da-da-da da.

Thud Whack Ping. rest.

Thud Whack Ping.

La da-da-da Da.

Thud Whack Ping. rest.

Thud Whack Ping.

Said, LA DA DA-DA-DA DA!

Thud Whack Ping. rest.

Thud Whack Ping.

LA DA-DA-DA DA!

Thud Whack Ping. rest.

Thud Whack Ping. rest.

LA DA DA-DA-DA DA DA...

rest.

LA-DA DA DA DA DA.

Thud Whack Ping
...more
jj aitken
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This little gem is is for all of you who love pure imagination accompanied by a wickedly dark sense of humor. Its a metaphorical masterpiece.
Drew
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Great meditation on psychedelic fantastical realism. Couldn't put this one down.
Kent Winward
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Brautigan novel so far. The Hawkline sisters, the two western hit men, the shadowy presence, the giant/dwarf butler, and the elephant foot umbrella stand. It deserves to be a Cohen brother's movie.
Behdad Ahmadi
نخستین برخورد من با جناب آقای ریچارد براتیگان شهیر، برخورد بسیار دلپذیری بود.

تا جایی که اطلاع دارم این کتاب جزو بهترین کار هاش نیست، اما با این وجود فوق العاده بود.

داستان بسیار هوشمندانه بود، قلم نوشته به حدود عالی ظریف و لطیف بود و نکاتی که میشد توی متن پیدا کرد، خواننده رو تخت تاثیر قرار می داد.
داستان سرشاره از تعبیرات و نگرش های ادبی و خیال انگیز، توصیف های برگرفته از خیال و تخیل براتیگان که در نوع خودشون بسیار ناب هستن و به شخصه تا به حال با چنین تعبیراتی کم مواجه شده بودم.

مثلا یکی از زیبات
...more
Samantha
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
The bottom line here is that I really want an elephant foot umbrella holder.

This is another of Brautigan's parodies and is more absurdist than, say, Dreaming of Babylon and The Abortion. It's a good ride, though, if you suspend any concept of reality you may have and sort of let the story take you along. There are many darkly comic elements throughout - on one end of the spectrum, you have the Frankenstein-ian tale of the monster overtaking its creator, while on the other end, you've got two cow
...more
Mehrzad M.
برای داستانی شبیه داستان های موقع خواب بچه ها سر ساعت نه شب، داستان خوبی بود، بیشتر نه! اصلاً!!

از براتیگان یه کتاب دیگه هم دارم که جزو 1001 کتاب هست، ولی خب، یا زودتر می خونمش بلکه نظرم نسبت بهش عوض شه، یا آخرین کتابی میشه که می خونم!!

//
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
something differetn 1 8 Oct 01, 2013 09:30AM  
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. short: scifi, western, missing father [s] 6 36 Sep 15, 2009 09:03PM  
  • Witch Wood
  • The King
  • Satori In Paris
  • You Can't Catch Death
  • Image of the Beast
  • Merkabah Rider: High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider #1)
  • The Three Button Trick and Other Stories
  • The Magic Christian
  • The Eve of St Venus
  • Seven Men
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Fistful of Feet
  • Kepler  (Revolutions Trilogy, #2)
  • A Capote Reader
  • The Crossings
  • Within the Whirlwind
  • Schrödinger's Cat 2: The Trick Top Hat
  • Not Fade Away
1,477 followers
Richard Brautigan was an American novelist, poet, and short-story writer. Born in Tacoma, Washington, he moved to San Francisco in the 1950s and began publishing poetry in 1957. He started writing novels in 1961 and is probably best known for his early work Trout Fishing in America. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1984.

“The voyage from San Francisco to Hawaii had been the most terrifying experience Greer and Cameron had ever gone through, even more terrible than the time they shot a deputy sheriff in Idaho ten times and he wouldn't die and Greer finally
had to say to the deputy sheriff,
"Please die because we don't want to
shoot you again".

And the deputy sheriff had said, "Ok, I'll die, but don't shoot me again".

"We won't shoot you again", Cameron had said.

"Ok, I'm dead", and he was.”
10 likes
More quotes…