Start by marking “Still Life (Chesapeake Valor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Still Life (Chesapeake Valor, #2)

Still Life

(Chesapeake Valor #2)

Work hits too close to home for crime scene photographer Avery Tate when her best friend disappears. The only lead is a chilling photo of her--apparently dead. As Avery, her boss Parker, and his friends dig into the case, she's forced to confront her feelings for Parker when they come face-to-face with a dangerous criminal.
Published January 31st 2017 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Still Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Life

Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Let me start off by saying that Still Life can be read on its own, but I highly recommend reading the first book in the series, Cold Shot, to get a greater understanding of the cast of characters. That's where we first meet Avery and Parker with their palpable chemistry despite traumatic pasts preventing them from acting on their feelings. I also want to point out that I really appreciated that the author didn't rehash or summarize the entire plot from Cold Shot in Still Life, only brief mention ...more
Whispering Stories
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Julie on www.whisperingstories.com

‘Still Life’ is the second book in the Chesapeake Valor series by best-selling American author, Dani Pettrey. We meet Avery when she attends a photo gallery at the behest of her friend, Skylar who was a model for one of the new exhibits. Avery is protective of her childhood friend and feels guilty for getting Skylar involved in the criminal underworld when they were young.

Avery discovered a Christian faith and changed her life around; she would
Hannah
What a ride! I couldn't put this one down. But stop: before you pick this one up, be sure you read the first book (Cold Shot) and get familiar with these characters. Many romantic suspense stories are written only in the POV of the two main characters, but this one has snippets from each of the crime-solving friends, which might be confusing for those who aren't already familiar with this fun group of characters.

Also...yes, the crime is creepy. I've watched plenty of episodes of Criminal Minds,
Dawn
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:
I've loved Dani Pettrey's books since I first discovered her with her debut novel. I know that I will get a book that is a page turner and well written. This one was no exception.

While this one does stand alone in the series, I highly recommend reading book 1 first as Parker, Avery, and the rest are all introduced in that one. What can I say about this book? It was wonderful. I read it rather quickly, I love the relationship between Parker and his buddies as well as between Parker a
Toni Shiloh
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What. An. Excellent. Read!!
As much as I loved Cold Shot, Still Life was 10x better. Intrigue was prevalent from the opening line until the very last. My mind is still reeling from a portion near the end.

I loved how Ms. Pettrey used multiple povs (point-of-view) to give us a glimpse of the group dynamics. In case you haven't read the first book (which you totally should), the group is made of Griffin, Declan, Parker, and the missing Luke...and of course, the ladies. And even though this book feat
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Can we all just pause a moment and appreciate that cover? I have two words for you that will make that hot guy even hotter. Irish. Accent. Yep. My book-boyfriend-collecting heart swooned right into a little puddle when, after Avery has been knocked down by an assailant, Parker wiggles two fingers at her and says:

“Come here, lass. Let me check you out.”

So… let’s just take another moment or ten to absorb the fineness of that cover and know that he speaks with an Irish brogue. (Is brogue the right
Brittany
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a chillingly suspenseful novel! Still Life is book two in the Chesapeake Valor series and it was great to return to the characters that were introduced in book one, Cold Shot. I do believe that readers could read Still Life as a stand alone novel if desired and follow along just fine, however, I highly recommend reading Cold Shot, as it was a book that I thoroughly enjoyed, too.

I loved the dynamic between Avery and Parker. They had great chemistry together on the pages. Both of these c
Kara
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
I really liked Avery from Cold shot and was pleased this story was about her journey, had difficulty putting this sequel down also. This book was darker, but mostly because of Avery's past before she came to Christ. However, Pettrey is a pro at writing villainous characters without being too gory. I felt that the plot of the story centered on Avery's friendship with Skylar and Parker's friendship working with the guys.

Avery goes to an art exhibit to support her friend, Skylar, who is the main su
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From Dani Pettrey's very first book, I knew this was an author I wanted to follow and my opinion has only been reinforced with each new book she writes. This is the second in her 'Chesapeake Valor' series and it's just tremendous.

Avery Tate has been blacklisted in the photography business over a controversial shot when she answered an ad for a crime scene photographer. Crime scene analyst Parker Mitchell hired her and it was a turning point in her life. Six months ago, however, her strong feelin
Jacob the Bookworm
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second Dani Pettrey novel, and I must say that I am really enjoying her Chesapeake Valor series. I love that this can be read as a standalone but is best read after Cold Shot

Still Life focuses on Parker Mitchell and Avery Tate, two minor characters in the first book. Avery's best friend Skylar has just disappeared on the night of her modeling debut. Parker Mitchell is assigned to the case. Avery soon finds herself swept into the case alongside Parker, much to her dismay. She must put
Loraine
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now, for the first time, Avery is facing the world that rejected her to attend the gallery opening of a photography exhibit and support her best friend, who modeled for the show. But the only image of her friend is a chilling photo of her posing as if dead--and the photographer insists he didn't take the shot. Worse, her friend can't be found. She immediately calls Parker for help. As Avery, Parker, and his friends in law enforcement dig into the mystery, they find themselves face-to-face with a ...more
Beth Erin
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full series review on FaithfullyBookish.com

The Chesapeake Valor series is an epic, binge-worthy romantic suspense brimming with perilous escapades and tender moments. Let your mind feast on intense investigations as simmering attraction and blossoming relationships set your reader heart aflutter.

As former best friends, Griffin, Parker, Declan, and Luke, reunite through professional collaboration, they seek answers to not only their joint and tandem investigations but also vow to solve the myste
Staci
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
In the second book of the Chesapeake Valor Series, we get Parker and Avery's romance resolved. The crime they solve involves Avery's childhood friend Skyler. Avery's past is less than perfect and she has a hard time getting beyond it.

As a side story, there is a murder aboard a Malaysian ship that is in port in Baltimore. I found this mystery to be more believable and hope to hear more about the occupants of the ship in book three.

While I enjoyed this novel, it took a while to get all the charact
Aerykah
Another fantastic read from Dani Pettrey!! :D
Sarita
Rating 3.5 stars

There was things I enjoyed and some things I didn't like in this book. The suspense also grabbed me more to the end where I found myself not wanting to put the book down.

What I liked:
I enjoyed the mystery of what happened to Skylar and enjoyed seeing the thoughts of the culprit - he was quite creepy and it kept me as reader wondering what happened. There was also a lot of twists and turns as part of this plot, so the author kept me guessing right till the end. There was a few tim
Nancy
Creepy bad guys..but good job keeping my interest. Avery had a tough childhood and is an interesting heroine.
Unexpected twists too :)
Denise Hershberger
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I felt like I was reading an episode of Criminal Minds only not near as gory as those sometimes are with a little bit of CSI in there with all of the crime scene processing. But most importantly I was especially thrilled that for most of the book I had no idea who the killer was!

Pettrey is very skilled at descriptions. I've always loved how she can describe a scene or a location or even people. Throughout this book I was captivated by the details both of descriptions but
Amy
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

This is the second book in the Chesapeake Valor series. I loved the first book, Cold Shot, and I knew I would be coming back for more in this series. Dani Pettrey is one of my favorite authors in the Christian Fiction world.

I have to say that this book gave me the willies. It was creepy and the whole plot was a little (or a whole lot) twisted and dark. This book felt a bit different than other books Pettrey has written and I can't say that I loved this book as much as previous books I'
Emily
What a ride! Twisty-turny events send our friends introduced in Cold Shot (book 1) down multiple pathways, and, at times, into different cases. I smell a set-up for book 3!
Anyyyyway, Avery and Parker set out to solve the mysterious disappearance of Avery's childhood friend, Skylar Pierce that has coincided with an APpearance of a eerie photograph depicting said friend. The mystery was masterfully done, with a chill about it as one would expect from the topic of the photography display mentioned
Abby Breuklander
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down one of the best books I've ever read!! Love love and love!!
Alicia
When Avery Tate's best friend, Skylar Pierce, is late for the art show that she helped model for, Avery becomes worried. Skylar was so excited for the show, and she wouldn't just miss out on it. Then they discover from the enraged artist that Skylar's photograph was stolen and switched with someone else's.

These photographs are of ladies who appear dead, artistically detailed in a very grotesque and creepy manner. And Skylar's eyes look different from the rest. Where could Skylar be?

This was def
Stephanie
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title from NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

*Fun Fact: The cover model is Ken from the Millennials Vs Gen X season of Survivor!

What I Liked:

-I like the characters in this series. It’s been a little while since I read the first book so it took me some time to get a handle on how all the characters relate to each other, but once I did I really enjoyed them.
-I really liked both Parker and Avery and shipped them pretty hard. I thought they were both pretty well devel
Rissi
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still Life by Dani Pettrey - Fast Paced Suspense in the Art Scene

After her professional life was derailed, Avery Tate shifted her focus to a new path that included work as a crime scene photographer. But working closely with the best forensic analyst there is, Parker Mitchell, turns out to be more complicated than Avery bargained for. Between her unrequited love, and his devastating loss that leaves him with a broken heart, a healthy relationship between them seems impossible. So she leaves.

When
Cheryl Olson
Still Life, Dani Pettrey’s second offering in The Chesapeake Valor series brings us to a pretty dark place in the life of Avery Tate, a crime-scene photographer, in terms of the things this character is facing in this story. Avery’s long time childhood friend Skylar had invited her to one of Skylar’s first real breaks, a modeling shoot in a big wig photographer’s special art showing with the theme being “Black Dahlia” where all of the featured models appear to be dead. Her friend Skylar’s shot i ...more
Chantel
 photo photostudio_1490088663943.jpg

Avery Tate has been blacklisted in the photography business over a controversial shot. She later is hired as crime-scene photographer by crime-scene analyst Parker Mitchell and her life is changed forever. But after working with home on a couple of cases, things get complicated when her feelings for Parker become to strong, and she leaves his employ to sort through her heart.
Six months later, Avery has to face the world who rejected her when she is invited by a friend to attend a gallery openi
Rachael
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've really been enjoying this series, and I highly recommend reading Cold Shot first. The group dynamics, part of what makes the series so great, are richer for reading the whole series. Plus, the books are building on each other; not only are we getting to know the characters better, but they are slowly progressing on the case of a friend who vanished seven years before.

In the meantime, there's an intense case in this book, centered around Avery and an old friend of hers. It is marvelously cr
Stacey
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll admit, romantic suspense is not my typical genre. I'm more of a romantic historical fiction type girl, but Dani Pettrey's Alaskan Courage series sold me. When she began this new series with Cold Shot, once again I was drawn in by the twists, fast moving plot, suspense, and the connection between the characters. Still Life continues with the same elements.

Still Life's suspenseful side was pretty intense. It may be that I'm a little more sensitive to that aspect because it's been so long sinc
Donna (More Than a Review)
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Dani Pettrey fashion. There's amazing chemistry between the characters, a mystery that keeps you guessing until the end, and a subtle faith element that makes you think and contemplate how it would apply to your life. This is a great cast of characters. You can't help but love each one of them. I was just as intrigued by Declan and Tanner’s relationship as I was by Avery and Parker's. Giffin and Kinley also make an appearance. Kate is still trying to find Luke who disappeared seven years ago. ...more
Melanie
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still Life, book two in the Chesapeake Valor series, was so good and yet SO creepy at times. The opening scene to the story was disturbing and really made me invested into the story and feel for the characters.

I loved the romance. Because the characters already knew each other and had feelings for the other, it was interesting to see how or when those feelings would actually progress into a relationship.

The mystery was great. While I did not see the surprise ending/twist coming, it was very good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Moving Target (Elite Guardians, #3)
  • Like Never Before (Walker Family, #2)
  • Deep Extraction (FBI Task Force, #2)
  • A Promise to Protect (Logan Point, #2)
  • Crisis Shot (Line of Duty, #1)
  • Sins of the Past
  • Tangled Webs (Men of Valor, #3)
  • You're the One that I Want (Christiansen Family, #6)
  • The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)
  • Conspiracy of Silence (Tox Files, #1)
Praised by New York Times best-selling author Dee Henderson as “a name to look for in romantic suspense,” Dani Pettrey has sold more than half a million copies of her novels to readers eagerly awaiting the next release. Dani combines the page-turning adrenaline of a thriller with the chemistry and happy-ever-after of a romance. Her novels stand out for their “wicked pace, snappy dialogue, and lika ...more

Chesapeake Valor (4 books)
  • Cold Shot (Chesapeake Valor, #1)
  • Blind Spot (Chesapeake Valor, #3)
  • Dead Drift (Chesapeake Valor, #4)
“God's ways often didn't make sense upon first glance.” 3 likes
“I want to know why you love me.
Because I don't make sense without you. You're part of me.”
3 likes