Start by marking “Saris and a Single Malt” as Want to Read:
Saris and a Single Malt

Saris and a Single Malt

"Saris and a Single Malt" is a moving collection of poems written by a daughter for and about her mother. The book spans the time from when the poet receives a phone call in New York City that her mother is in a hospital in New Delhi, to the time she carries out her mother's last rites. The poems chronicle the author's physical and emotional journey as she flies to India, ...more
Published August 1st 2016 by Modern History Press

To ask other readers questions about Saris and a Single Malt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saris and a Single Malt

Start your review of Saris and a Single Malt
gautami
How does one review a poetry book which you know is going to hit you on the solar plexus? How does one keep one's self from getting emotional?

You can't....you simply let it be.....

The poems are like conversing with self, the anticipation of what awaits one at the end of the journey. The rituals are the means to an end...they help us cope. With grief, With oneself...and yes we also bond with our siblings...

When my dad passed away in 2002, he was 72. He had a fall, broke his hip bone, had a surger
EvaLovesYA
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog

Read interview with Sweta Srivastava Vikram

Thanks to Poetic Book Tours

There is nothing like sorrow that can fill you up and truly define you. When we experience great loss, it is difficult for us to cope because how do we say what’s on our minds? How do we express how hurt our souls feel? And how do we say the words that declare the final goodbye?

“Was it your heart that betrayed you; or was it the people you sheltered
who broke your heart?”

This is what the poetry co
Serena
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like love, grief is an emotion that bonds us. Through these poems and mini essays, Vikram show us the entire grieving process and how it tears us down so we can rebuild ourselves. Saris and a Single Malt by Sweta Srivastava Vikram is a tribute to a wonderful woman, who may have lived differently than her daughter, and while it comes after her passing, it signals to us to cherish those we have. We need to pay closer attention to our now and less to the past. We need to be better about showing our ...more
Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester
Heartfelt, raw, honest and thought-provoking are all words that come to mind when thinking of Saris and a Single Malt by Sweta Srivastava Vikram. A moving collection of poems written upon the illness and unexpected death of Sweta's Mother. Ms. Vikram allows us to join her in her journey of grief, as she shares with us from the very beginning a journey she does not want to make, but ultimately we all must sometime in our lives.

Saris and a Single Malt is a deeply effecting work, that will resonat
Katie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

I like the title Saris and A Single Malt, which is a dedication as well as a title to the authors mother. The mother is the subject of this brief chapbook. It gives an idea to what her mother was like, as tragically it was her death that prompted these poems to be written.
Sweta Srivastava Vikram received a phone call while in New York. It was this phone call that told her that her mother was in a hospital in New Delhi.
There are beautiful phrases and observations in this chapbook:
‘Mom is put on
Susan Abraham
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(These are just a few quick thoughts from a personal angle and not a literary review.)

A deeply touching story through verse and powerful thought, about a daughter whose mother passes on unexpectedly while the parent is in the midst of planning for a holiday.

The mother's bags are already packed when she suddenly falls very ill. The daughter who is the poet herself, Sweta Srivastava Vikram, rushes with her husband to Delhi in India from New York city; hoping to catch her mum's final moments.

To s
Michelle Stockard Miller
For someone who has a mother who is so very dear to me, and who is also my best friend, this slim volume of poetry was a difficult read. I can't imagine suddenly hearing that my mother had fallen critically ill and not being able to get to her in time. It is unfathomable.

Sweta Vikram has beautifully expressed her time as she rushed to get to her mother before she passed, and the unfortunate time after her passing. She poignantly gives glimpses of what her mother meant to her. Each poem gives us
Mia
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: asian-authors
I love poetry. It's beautiful to me and it's something that I think everyone should read because it evokes so many emotions. When I received the opportunity to review Saris and a Single Malt by Sweta Vikram, I was thrilled to check it out.

This book was hard for me to read emotionally because I have not lost a parent and the thought of it terrifies me. One of our first relationships is that between parent and child and it's disconcerting to think about no longer having that connection. So I read
Darlene
Carol McFarlane
Doreen Miller
Adria
Sep 06, 2016
Sweta Srivastava Vikram (www.swetavikram.com), featured by Asian Fusion as “one of the most influential Asians of our time,” is an award-winning writer, five-time Pushcart Prize nominee, Amazon bestselling author of 11 books, writing coach, columnist, marketing consultant, and wellness practitioner who currently lives in New York City. She teaches the power of yoga, Ayurveda, & mindful living to f ...more