Start by marking “And the Trees Crept in” as Want to Read:
And the Trees Crept in

And the Trees Crept in

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  4,147 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews
A stunning, terrifying novel about a house the color of blood and the two sisters who are trapped there, by The Dead House author Dawn KurtagichWhen Silla and Nori arrive at their aunt's home, it's immediately clear that the "blood manor" is cursed. The creaking of the house and the stillness of the woods surrounding them would be enough of a sign, but there are secrets to ...more
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published September 6th 2016 by Blackstone

To ask other readers questions about And the Trees Crept in, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
mrfuzzlemonster
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda I'm only about halfway through, but I would say no, unless the 13-year-old is a big horror buff who isn't easily scared. I'm 36, and reading it has me…moreI'm only about halfway through, but I would say no, unless the 13-year-old is a big horror buff who isn't easily scared. I'm 36, and reading it has me shivering.(less)

·  4,147 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews

Start your review of And the Trees Crept in
Emily May
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, young-adult, horror
"He's out there," I say, turning back to the window. "Always watching. Getting stronger."

And the Trees Crept In is a chilling read perfect for Halloween, or just anytime you want to not sleep.

I, of course, started reading this book at night. Being the fearless reader that I am, I shrugged my shoulders and went to bed afterwards with only one glance inside the closet just to be sure it was empty. Okay, maybe two glances. The real challenge came in the middle of the night when I needed a glass o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
OMG! THIS BOOK!

I feel like I just got off the crazy train with this book. I feel like my brain could be related to this book. This book is utter madness and I loved it!

Silla steals away in the night with her little sister Nori. They are running from their father who abused them, not that way, like punching out teeth and stuff. Their mother had told them about their aunt Cathy that lived in a mansion in the woods. It was all good at first, but then . . .

I love how this book is written and the
Nick
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story, hated the ending.

Full review to come very soon!
Lola
I can’t rate this book.

Not because it’s bad or because I’m unbelievably conflicted about it, but for the following reasons:

1) I don’t read horror, and let’s say that at the mention of a giant dead spider found on a bed, there’s nothing else I can do but run.

2) It wouldn’t have been fair I think for me to rate this book, having barely read 10% of it.

It actually isn’t bad at all. It’s interestingly narrated and written and the story made me really curious.
Hannah Greendale

Silla and Nori arrive at their aunt's home, a decrepit manor the color of blood. Even though Silla knows there's something wrong with the house, it's better than the terrifying circumstances she and her sister left behind. But food is running low, and the forest around the manor seems to be creeping closer. Silla knows she and Nori must go, but something lurks in the woods,
James
3 stars to Dawn Kurtagich's And the Trees Crept In, a suspense and horror novel that at points I wanted to give a 5, but at others, a 1. It was insanity wrapped up in a bowl of champagne (pure delight which I love) spoiled by mushrooms (the devil's lurid food which I hate) and so forth. I settled on a 3... but not convinced of it.

Story
Silla and Nori show up on their aunt's doorstep far away from their parents' home, claiming their mother sent them for a visit. Aunt Cath finds it strange and worries that "he'll
Kayla Dawn
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I really loved this until the story started to come to an end. I passionately hate the ending.
It was such a lazy, uncreative conclusion to this otherwise very unique story!! I'm so upset lol.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Seriously, she was dead all along?? This is so old and overused aaah. That's the same shit as the "it was all just a dream" ending! Hell no. That takes away all of the horror of the book. It's stupid.
Lala BooksandLala
This was a strange book. And that ending has me all types of fucked up.
may ❀
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to may ❀ by: Sana
Full review posted:

Do you like creepy?
Do you like horror?
Do you enjoy not being able to sleep without the lights being on?

If you answered yes or no to either of these questions then…..YOU NEED TO PICK UP THIS BOOK !!!!!

You’re probably thinking ‘omg may that’s a teRRIBLE idea’ and im here to tell you that it is but you love to make horrible decisions anyways so why not.

And besides, if I, the person who literally reblogs those ‘pass-this-on-or-you-will-die’ images on tumblr can handle this book, then you most definitely can – I hope just l
Drew
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While the positive reviews for And the Trees Crept In have been rolling in for the past few months, I'm left wondering, What did I miss? What a totally random, stupid book.

The cover is unbelievably stunning and the premise sounds so intriguing: It follows Silla and Nori, two sisters who move into their aunt Cath's spooky old manor. But Silla can't help feeling like the woods outside the house are creeping closer—and then there's the story about the Creeper Man in the woods.

The b
Sana
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 3/4 stars.

Holy fuckballs (don't even ask me what fuckballs are) this book destroyed me. This was one creepy and brilliant masterpiece. My eyeballs were glued to the page. I actually shivered from the chills and I could not stop reading this.

The plot, the characters, the creepiness was so perfect. I haven't read this much of a good horror book in ages. This book made me want to crawl under the covers and cry.

When Silla and Nora escape their abusive father and arrive to the
Jiana
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with my little sister because she was too scared to read it alone. 💖

Result: Annoying little sister and I were not scared, but creeped out.

I don't really know how to write reviews for horror novels (personally, I think this book is more of a thriller, but anyway) this is the first "horror" novel I've read. I'll try. I also don't read too much thriller because they rarely succeed in keeping me one edge. But I'm so excited this one did! I kinda fully judge a thriller by that (in addition to th/>:
Hillary
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad it's over.
And you call this scary??

I was so excited to read this book. Everyone says it's scary as hell and I was expecting a book that could make me cry from fear. I know I'm not easy to scare, but this one wasn't even creepy. Like AT ALL.
There was maybe some weird imagery (mam sewing hair in her leg, teeth falling etc.) that kind of stuck to my mind, but it didn't give me the creeps.
Everything else was boring. Silla keeps repeating the whole book how something is wr
Lisa
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should have been a 5 star book. My main problem with it was that I knew almost immediately what had happened with these people. There were just too many clues. What I didn't know were the why's or wherefore's. Still I loved the writing and would definitely read more from this author. Recommended.
Trina (Between Chapters)
Started to feel drawn out and repetitive around the middle, but pulled itself together in the end. The end is a little strange but I appreciate that Kurtagich actually provided answers and reasons.

If you liked 'The Haunting of Hill House' on Netflix, I think you would definitely enjoy this creepy house.

Audio review: 5 stars. Narrated by Polly Lee. Character voicing was good. The audio production utlizes background music, sound effects, voice distortion, and overlaid background whisperi/>Audio
Dawn Kurtagich
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Update: The final pass pages (and final read) has been done for the book (both US and UK editions) and I'm so so so proud of this little book.

Trees sinisterly closing in, family legacy of pain, boy who she wants to love but can't = my book!

This book is a surreal little book full of weird. I quite like it!

It's the story of Silla Daniels, a girl who is trying to save her little sister, and inadvertently puts her in more danger than ever. But also, it's about a girl trying to find herself, her p
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I would have easily given this book a four but it had SUCH a weak ending. It was super scary in the middle, and I loved the haunted mansion aesthetic, but I would never reread this book knowing how it ends. It isn’t even close to on par with the rest of the book.
Elizabeth
I think the on screen adaption of And the Trees Crept In would be delightfully creepy. As a novel it's messy, repetitive, and not remotely scary.

Also - I cannot STAND when extra, unnecessary formats are used in a book. They RARELY help move the story along and I think in this instance they were used more as a distraction than anything.

Like, ooh, here's a creepy poem at the beginning of each chapter to make you think this book is scarier than it actually is and LET ME JUST THROW IN SOME
Tom Lewis
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ho-ly fracking crap! I have never read such a mind frack (Battlestar Gallactica fans will get the expletive). This book was terrifying, in a “don’t read before bed” way, bizarre, twisting, and… wait for it… emotional. I can almost guarantee you will not predict the ending; and it packs such an emotional punch, it’ll leave you staring into space replaying it over and over in your head. 5 stars!
Nicay Magnate
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
description

Review also posted on The Nerdy Side of a Queen

Cause: Memories are suppressed so the girl can survive.

Effect: A girl grows a granite heart.

Creeeaaakkkk…

I can’t believe I finished reading it without any symptoms of heart attack. The story was just so very creepy and mind-blowing.

Two sisters escaped from their father after they beaten without any reason. They escape and went to their Aunt Cathy at La Baume mansion.

Prisilla Daniels or Silla was the elder sister and she really loves her younger sister Eleanor or Nori for short. They taught they would end up happyQueen
Jennifer Gruenke
This. Book. Was. Insane. Bonkers. Madness until the end. My eyes were glued to the pages and my thoughts ran something like this: "What the hell is happening? What is going on? What just happened? This is so effed up. What even is this? Holy shit. Oh my God. What?"

description

Because it takes a lot for a book to freak me out, this one gets high points for giving me the actual creeps. Fuck La Baume. I'm n
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/09/04/...

After chilling readers with her debut YA novel The Dead House last year, Dawn Kurtagich is back with another horror tale about two sisters trapped in a house surrounded by a haunted wood…and is it just their imagination or are the trees slowly closing in? Since I had such a good time with The Dead House, when the publisher sent me an ARC of And the Trees Crept In, I just knew I had to give this one a try.

As a girl growing up in London, Silla
Kassidy
This one took me by surprise! The audiobook is great.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“We have no right to children if despair is all we bring with us.”

Trigger Warning: Mental illness, suicide, child abuse.

If you are looking for horror this is probably not the book for you but if you want a psychological thriller that will make you question your own sanity than look no further!

Honestly, this is why I don't trust Goodreads for ratings on YA thrillers/horror. It's just like horror films, anything different gets a very low rating from the mainstream audience. In my
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 Stars

I had high expectations going into this, maybe a little too high because while I did like this, I didn't fall in love with it like I wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, it was good and definitely creepy at times but the writing also felt convoluted and the beginning was, not necessary slow but it did have a build up that took awhile to get there. To really get the feel of what was going on. We learn little by little exactly what the manor house is all about, what the c
Bark the Overwrought Keyboard Warrior
This is a difficult book to review because it was a difficult book to read. Much of the story was repetitive, confusing and dreamlike and honestly I think I was too distracted at this moment in time to allow myself to fall into its world. I also had difficulty connecting to the characters. It felt like reading a pitch black fable of yore.

Here's what it's sort of about: two young girls and their aunt are trapped in a house infected by madness. They cannot leave as the woods won’t allow it and th
Addi • Pages Within Me
What. The. Hell?!

That ending...I did NOT see that coming. I think I have whiplash, actually.

Summary:

When sisters Silla and Nori leave their abusive homelife to go live with their questionably sane Aunt Cath, they have hopes of a new and better life. When they arrive at La Baume, the blood red manor in the middle of the woods, everything is wonderful at first. Cath seems to be just what the girls need, even if she and her ways are a bit strange. But then odd things begin to/> ...more
Molly

the little girls found
their game hard to bear

when their protector turned
and gave them a scare!

Those three little girls were sisters living in a bright, beautiful manor. Fast-forwarding
Mariah Smith (Vibin With Books)
I literally have no fucking idea what I just read. None.
I get the idea behind this, and it really is genius, but it was executed terribly. The plot was drawn out in a way that not only was boring, but was suffocatingly dark. There were no bright moments to ease up on the sadness, so I just didn't like feeling that hopeless for the entire book.
The ending was okay, and I understood somewhat of what happened, but I wanted more.

• Sawkill Girls
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Waking Forest
  • Campfire
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
  • Bantam
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • The Wicked Deep
  • The Turn of the Key
  • His Hideous Heart
  • When You Feel It: An Erotic Compilation
Dawn Kurtagich is a writer of creepy, spooky and psychologically sinister YA fiction, where girls may descend into madness, boys may see monsters in men, and grown-ups may have something to hide. Her debut YA novel, THE DEAD HOUSE, was called "an evil and original story" by bestselling author R.L Stine and ""...a haunting new thriller..." by Entertainment Weekly. Her second novel, AND THE TREES CR ...more
“Tell me pleasant lies, and I will believe them before I throw them away.” 13 likes
“At least with my father, the danger was out in the open. I knew what to expect. But Auntie Cath is a different kind of dark altogether.
The worst kind.
The kind made from love.”
8 likes