Start by marking “The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)

The Truce at Bakura

(Star Wars Universe)

No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost. Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are approaching Imperial space with only one goal: total domination. Princess Le ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published December 1994 by Bantam Spectra (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Truce at Bakura, please sign up.
Kathryne Baldwin You have to buy it, then come back and let people know if you liked it!

Branwen *of House Targaryen*
Han paused in midstep. "What is this? I suppose you're going to ask my intentions toward your sister."

Luke smiled at Han. "I know what your intentions are, friend. She needs you. Just don't let her down."

Han's crooked smiled shone like an asteroid beacon. "Not on your life."

This book may be one of the best Star Wars books I have ever read. It takes place right after Return of the Jedi and demonstrates Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest of the Alliance dealing with the aftermath of having the Empire t
Katie
Oooh, I really liked this one! It's set right after Return of the Jedi and I really like how it explores Leia post-movie. You get to see her dealing with Vader being her father (which, really, the movie should've given us) and she and Han start figuring things out.

I like Luke in this book, too, but his storyline also made me laugh because it felt like an old school sci fi episode. He meets a woman AND THEY HAVE THIS HUGE CONNECTION, LIKE SO SPECIAL . . . but nothing really happens, and they neve
Siria
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Yes, I know, another SW:EU novel. But they're a special brand of crack, and it's fun revisiting the things I was so thoroughly addicted to in 1996/97. This is probably one of, if not the best, novel which has been written in the Star Wars extended universe. Like all the rest of the EU novels, this is really just glorified fanfiction, a fictional romp through the history which the films don't cover; however, it's one of the better examples of the genre. The storyline rollicks along, the character ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Not a day has passed since the big boom over Endor when Luke and Wedge retrieve a distress signal from the Imperials at Bakura. Spurred by a vision from Ben, Luke leads a force to Bakura, with Leia, Han, and Chewie (of course, Artoo and Threepio). At Bakura, our Rebels see the Imperial forces beleaguered in their fight against a strange alien species, the Ssi-Ruuk. But will Governor Wilek Nereus accept the Alliance's help? And can they defeat the Ssi-Ruuk anyway?

NOTE: I read the book many years
Chelsea
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, one of the best Star Wars EU novels. I found the characterization of Leia and Han particularly good, and I enjoyed the struggles Luke faced dealing with his new identity as a Jedi master.

She did a good job with the interplay between Han and Leia, considering that at the end of Return of the Jedi, their attraction is obvious, but they haven't spent time together or learned how to resolve disagreements. Well done.

No, there's no sex, only thwarted attempts at make-outs.

The only real
Jerry
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Is this the best Star Wars Expanded Universe novel? No.

However, for what it is, it's not bad.

It's interesting to see what happens immediately after the end of Return of the Jedi.

I also found it hilarious that the back matter in the edition I have--which I recently purchased used--had an ad for The Crystal Star. For those unfamiliar with EU books, let's just say that novel will forever go down in the history of the franchise...and not for being the least bit good.
Merida
Nov 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is, hands down, the worst book in the EU. Forget about killing off Chewie or totally improbably enemies (or weapons) this has got to be the stupidest book in the history of SW. Except maybe the one that went between IV and V. That one was just weird.
Ashley Bogner
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bit creepy/gruesome in places, but overall an exciting story that takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi .
Samantha Harvey
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first time delving into the written works of the Star Wars mythos and was pleasantly surprised with this. So many times, you see the conversion from book to movie and become upset with the movie for not holding up to the same standards as the book. In this case, it was the reverse process and provided more than what we could get in the movie. Due to the nature of being a book, we are able to view the thoughts and actions of multiple characters (including Chewie!). By being able to see ...more
Alex
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILER ALERT* I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Star Wars fan, there is no age limit. This book is key in reading about the future of the Star Wars universe. The book takes place in the following moments after Star Wars IV, after second Death Star was destroyed. It started with Wedge finding an old messenger ship that was sent by the Empire. The message was telling the Emperor that the Ssi-Ruuk were attacking Bakura and that they were in need of reinforcements. The Alliance decide ...more
Peter Hale
This is a good novel, but not a great one. I found more obscure ones like Rogue Planet far, far more entertaining than this more widely-known novel.

One thing this book did right was the characterizations. I felt like everybody was portrayed as their real selves in this dire situation. But the main thing I loved about this novel was a chance to get to see Emps and Rebs argue in one room without trying to kill each other. Each scene of political argument is played out perfectly by Kathy. But what
Miles Reid-lobatto
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

It's been years since I was a voracious reader of the Star Wars novels and it's been even longer since I read 'Truce at Bakura.' Honestly, it's pure fun, it's the Star Wars characters before they got bogged down in the huge sprawling expanded universe that the novels eventually became. The Luke, Leia and Han of the novels had settled into new roles so it's refreshing to see Luke as the powerful yet inexperienced Jedi instead of the enlightened Jedi Master of later books. In fact, some of the boo
Jesse Booth
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm surprised this book has such a low average rating. For a Star Wars book, it was actually pretty good. Beyond that, it's Sci Fi elements were spectacular, which completely enhanced the story for me.

Tyers brought in a new alien race (the Si Ruu) that capture humans and rips their living energies to droids. This is their entire galactic conquest, to rule the cosmos buy enslaving souls as batteries. I think it's a cool idea.

The story literally picks up where Return of the Jedi ends, with Luke st
Xa
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I acquired this book from Audible; I only realized after that it was, unfortunately, the abridged version. I avoid abridged books if I can — they make me grumbly.

Even so, I enjoyed the book. My favorite part, though, was that it was acted out instead of merely read, but again, that's an audiobook feature. The story was fun; I hadn't ever thought to read Star Wars fiction before, though I do enjoy watching the movies.
Bryon
Jan 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Well, I sure picked a stinker for the first, of many, Stars Wars books I've decided to plow through for "Project: Reread Books from my Childhood." This one was pretty terrible.

Plot, plot, cheesy line from original trilogy, plot, plot, unsatisfied.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic addition to the original trilogy for those who must know what happened next.
Jamon
May 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sets-of-books
weak compared to Zahn
Ross Coulbeck
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally decided to dip my toe into Star Wars Legends, and this was a great place to start.

Set right after Return of the Jedi it throws you back into the action with your favourite heroes, but this time they are facing something a little different, an alien threat.

For me it captured everything I love about the original characters and expanded on them. It was especially good to get a deeper sense of Luke, having only seen the film's before and not read the books.

The destruction of the Death Star,
Marcus
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kind of bonkers, but in a really fun way.
John Coakley
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
In Kathy Tyers' novel "The Truce At Bakura," Tyers expands on the massive Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Tyers' spin on the Star Wars universe is an original one that could be seen as a realistic addition to the existing plot of Star Wars. However, where "Bakura" falls slightly short is in depth. While I did enjoy the story, especially early on, the book lacked a natural ability to keep the reader interested. Personally, this is what separated "Bakura" so much from the existing "St ...more
Wolf (Alpha)
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was way different than other star wars books. I loved this book. I like how Princess Lei went to Bakura, to help, and to solve her mission. I like that Luke headed to Bakura without even thinking about the danger he was heading into. 5 star rating.
Heather
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book comes as a challenge to myself that I've been toying with for the last several years. The Star Wars expanded universe novels, now known as Legends, was a series that sustained me through a few frenetic years in my mid-90s childhood. The Star Wars novels were my first foray into "adult" (well, adultish) fiction from when I was nine to when I was about twelve. I've realized that, since they were considered "canon" at the time, much of my understanding of Star Wars actually stems ...more
Guillermo
Mar 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time reading this. I am not a hater but this book lack of...... This book has nothing! Bad sequences bad develop of the characters. The author gave them a new personality, and that was bad because they were not they characters to do that. It create a plot with a lizards that was boring and without sense.

To me if you are going to write about something that already has its own personality and background so don't Try to make fancy things just to highlight your work. Don't try to r
Colin Barnes
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pretty decent read. The characters were familiar and the dialogue suited them well. I liked Luke's challenges but felt some of the action scenes were a little rushed in and out as were some of the climactic moments and I didn't get much of a sense that the characters were truly in trouble, but it was authentically star wars and a fun read.
Philip
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I'll confess I didn't read the whole of it, only the first quarter or so. I stopped because it was rather dull and plodding, requiring a lot of effort to keep going. I can only assume the book starts to get interesting later on, though that would be a rather paltry reward for the rather dull first 80 pages of the book.
Ron
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This is more like it.

Tyers combines a good SF story with classic SW elements to create a tale of appropriately heroic scale. Her task was eased by the positioning of this story immediately after the close of Episode Six, but she expanded the SW universe into new territory.
Kelly
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
This one was quite angsty, if I remember correctly. You know how Luke had his absurd, mocked to the end of time reaction to "Luke, I am your father"? Well, this book is Leia's reaction to the same thing. And romance with her and Han. And.. some other stuff I can't remember.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
It was too awful to even finish.
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I really like it, Luke Skywalker continues battling temptation to the Dark Side and wins. Luke also helps a mentally scarred boy turn to the Light, it's a thrilling book. :)
Mauri
Jun 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Welcome to Star Wars Extended Universe Arbitrary Reread 2017! In which I reread the "Legends" novels of my youth, because I'm curious as to how well they've held up. Also, someone told me I just need to "let it go" with the EU being de-canonized and I'm full of verve and contrariness. Anyway, lots of navel-gazing ahead (Goodreads gives you over 20,00 characters for these reviews, I'm finally going to use them), but I'll be putting my new perspective at the top each time. See below that for blath ...more
Star Wars Bookwor...: Star Wars Comedy 4 32 Apr 23, 2014 05:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke has a crush 24 34 Apr 10, 2014 08:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke's Use of the Force 10 32 Apr 10, 2014 08:09PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Chewbacca Point of View 5 27 Apr 05, 2014 03:21PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: How do you feel about this taking place RIGHT after ROTJ 10 28 Mar 26, 2014 08:12PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book 1 is... 3 54 Mar 24, 2014 06:47PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book Discussion Guidelines 3 40 Mar 15, 2014 04:31PM

• Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars : Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #2)
  • Children of the Jedi (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #1)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4) (Agents of Chaos, #1)
  • Tatooine Ghost
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)
She is the first child of Dr. H.C. Moore, an accomplished dentist and jazz musician who had served during WWII as a test pilot, and Barbara Putnam Moore, flutist with several California orchestras.

Kathy attended Montana State University in Bozeman, where she received a degree in microbiology, married, performed widely on her flute, and then became certified as a K-12 classroom teacher. After teach

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
“…I would rather lay down my life for others’ freedom than die quietly in slavery.” 6 likes
“He flung self-control to the unseen winds of the Force and reached down deep to fully sense her presence. Layers and layers: the living depth of Endor’s teeming forest, the all-enveloping warmth of a night on sandy Tatooine, and the hypnotic glitter of deep space came to mind.…” 0 likes