Start by marking “Searching for a Silver Lining” as Want to Read:
Searching for a Silver Lining

Searching for a Silver Lining

Both heartbreaking and affirming, Miranda Dickinson's Searching for a Silver Lining is perfect for fans of Cecilia Ahern and JoJo Moyes.

Matilda Bell is left heartbroken when she falls out with her beloved grandfather just before he dies. Haunted by regret, she makes a promise that will soon change everything . . .

When spirited former singing star Reenie Silver enters her

Published October 20th 2016 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Searching for a Silver Lining, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for a Silver Lining

Rachel Gilbey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Searching for a Silver Lining is an uplifting and captivating story, and makes me think it is never too late to say sorry, and that you really shouldn't hold a grudge for 60 years. It started slightly slow but still in a way that had me interested, as as the story continued, and there is a race against time, the pace increases, and so does the addictiveness of the book. I read this in one afternoon, and can't think of a better way I could have spent the time.

I had been slightly worried about el
Katey Lovell
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Dickinson's best book yet. Love the natural and believable friendship across the age gap, the wit and humour and the clever 'soundtrack'. Gorgeous. Full review at www.bookswithbunny.blogspot.co.uk on 20th October.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love a Miranda Dickinson novel so I'm not sure why it took me to long to read this one! This book has 3 main storylines, all mingling amongst each other but I'd say that the three are very distinct. We have the story involving Mattie, Reenie and club owner Gill and their road trip to try and get the group The Silver Five back together for one very special performance. I would say that this was my favourite of the three storylines. The road trip takes in so many parts of the country and takes i ...more
Emily Novelle
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book did take a few chapters to get into but it was well worth the wait as after that you aren’t able to put it down. There are two main female characters mattie and rennie which are so different in personality that you wonder how and why they will become friends they do. There is also matties granddad whose story is told via a diary. This story teaches you that you don’t have to similar to get close and there is often more to people than meets the eye
Hannah Symonds
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful read. It reminded me of my close relationship that I have with my granddad. I love how each chapter is a song title it made it feel more personal and if you really want to immerse yourself you can play each song too which I did. This is a lovely story about second chances and I found it touching and funny in parts.
Julie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good book from Miranda Dickinson. Really loved the character of Reene Silver, full of life, feisty and fun, but with hidden secrets.
Matilda Bell tries really hard to make up for her rift with her grandfather, does she succeed, read the book to find out.
This story is light hearted and funny, it also just shows it is never too late for an apology
Jill Lamond
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Really. What a self-obsessed dreary main character.
Linda O'Brien
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
a good read.
Mandy Cooke
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the characters - and the musical references to the fifties! A story covering lots of emotions and left me wanting more!
Kate
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, easy to read - perfect holiday reading
Natacake
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always feel like Miranda's stories are a giant cuddle in book form.
Samantha
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Miranda's books, I think I have read every one of them and I have never been disappointed. I thought Searching for a Silver lining was a different type of book, one that was unexpected but just as good as her others.

The reason I haven't given this book 5* is because although I liked it, I didn't like the historic element to the book. When I read the blurb and I discovered there was mention of the 1950's it filled me with dread. It wasn't as bad as I thought, although there is mention of
Simona
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two women, two different generations, two different stories, but their stories kind of become one big story.

Let’s start at the beginning. Matilda Bell’s grandfather died and just before that she had a real fall out with him.
She is determined to make it right.

That’s where Reenie Silver comes in. She was part of a popular band in the 50ies called The Silver Five. Together they go on a journey to fin all her band members, make peace with them and bring them back for a concert.

The journey is full of
Simona
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

She is determined to make it right.

The journey is full of
Vicki Bowles
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have loved reading all of Miranda Dickinson's books. This new book is very different to her previous novels, but I still loved it.

It's a gently-paced story of a road trip with a difference. For a start, it leaves behind the glamorous locations of earlier novels and is firmly rooted right back here in England. But what it lacks in exotic location, it more than makes up for in vintage glamour, from the shop Matty runs full of 50's memorabilia to the indomitable ageing glamour-puss Reenie.

A tale
Heather
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautifully written book, with characters who instantly made you feel like you knew them.

When Mattie loses her Grandfather who she hasn't spoken to for some time she makes a promise at his graveside to make amends.

Reenie Silver has a starlit past, and secrets that she has kept for 60 years, when Mattie and Reenie get together on a journey to recconcile both their past they don't expect it to have so many twists and turns.

This is Miranda Dickinson at her best.
Katie Marriott
This took me a while to get in to - I think because I was in a bit of a reading slump not because of the book. Once I was in it was the usual style of quirky awesomeness that I have come to know and expect from Dickinson. I loved the vintage shop, the 50s theme and the friendship with Reenie. Fantastic.
Anna Falcucci
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just,had to keep reading

A story of twist and turns, of lost loves and regrets and a road trip many of us would love to have the courage to undertake.
If I could I would have read cover to cover in day, but glad I didn't as it left me wondering what the next revelation would be.
I have read all of Miranda books as the get me hooked from the start! Roll on the next one
Cressida McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous and glorious. So lucky to get an early copy, but it is totally worth waiting for.
Sue Burton
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book and loved Renee, exactly how I would like to be when I get to her age.
Mara
  • Last Dance in Havana
  • Wish You Were Here
  • The House of New Beginnings
  • The Sun in Her Eyes
  • The Bookshop on Rosemary Lane (Rosemary Lane #1)
  • And Then We Ran
Miranda Dickinson has always had a head full of stories. Coming from a creative family where stories and songs were always present, it was perhaps inevitable that she would end up adoring words. A songwriter for over 15 years, Miranda has successfully penned over thirty songs, delivering both live and recorded performances in a range of venues across the UK and Europe. Her first solo project album ...more