Start by marking “A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

A Fistful of Charms

(The Hollows #4)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  53,662 ratings  ·  1,363 reviews
The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.

Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick posses
Mass Market Paperback, 510 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Charms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Charms

·  53,662 ratings  ·  1,363 reviews

Start your review of A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
Luffy
For some reason Ivy, one of the vampires in the book, says, I mean exclaims "Shut up!" very often. I wondered from what old horror movie or literature has the author taken this tic and made it her own.

But as you see, I've given the book 3 stars, which is not to be sneered at. I think that the book lacked fiber. It lacked fresh ideas. Yes, the heroine, Rachel, does not travel to the ever after , nor does she invoke a demon. Like Hercule Poirot would say, she has other cats to whip.

The adventures
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Where to begin . . .

I've come to expect a certain kind of action-fueled, intricate, and well-crafted plot from Kim Harrison, and in A Fistful of Charms, the fourth installment of her The Hollows series, the breakneck pace and interconnectedness upheld all of my expectations.

But . . . yes, there's a but . . . the Rachel and Ivy nonsense came to a head, and as we all know, things that come to a head are wont to EXPLODE.

And explode it did. But I'll get to that later
Anya
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Where the hell is Trent Kalamack???

He is probably off getting his elf butt married to that cold-hearted lady of the previous installment, but still... Where the heck is he? I am only a few chapters away from finishing the book and still fondly waiting for him to make an appearance. He is by far one of the most interesting characters of this series, along with Jenks, Ivy and of course Rachel herself. (Have to admit I am not precisely too great a fan of Ivy either...)

Nick... Nick can climb up the
Lazaros
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
“As the joke goes, you don’t have to be faster than the wolf chasing you, just faster than everyone else running away.”

Undoubtedly the best book in the series, and by far the most action-packed one too. Mrs. Harrison has set the bar too high for me and unless the next book is just as good I will be a tad bit disappointed. This did the trick for me. If I didn't love the series before now I definitely do. The more this series progresses and I get to see and know more of the characters, the mor
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Kim Harrison is a writer with a lot of imagination and a lot of personality. Her world and her characters are very original. Where she stumbles is in her actual writing.
Not only are there tons of typos in this book - spelling errors, grammar errors, etc ("it was a mute point"?! "she had to access the situation"?) - but her actual writing leaves a little something to be desired.
I have struggled with this series, finding it boring at times and hard to follow. I finally came to the conclusion tha
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had such a good time with this book. I read the first few books in this series years ago and didn't continue for one reason or another. Most of the series probably hadn't been written at that point. A couple of years ago, I decided to start working my way through the series again by listening to the audiobooks. I think that this might have been the first time that I read this book and I really enjoyed it.

This book picks up shortly
Aisling Zena

I don't know how to rate this..

Rachel is getting on my nerves big time and that's never a good thing for the main character of a series. It also feels like it's heading down a very weird path with Ivy that I seriously don't like. I also don't like what's coming for Jenks. And I didn't even get some sexy times to distract me from all that in this book.

description

What I did like is the writing, the world K.H. built and the overall plot. I will probably keep reading the series as I'm too curious an
missEvi [can't commit to a book]
Shortest review ever:
While reading this book I couldn't stop my self from thinking a saying that we have here in Greece "even more stupid than chicory". Rachel is so dumb that my hand is twitching.

I hope that I won't end up rooting for a demon to take her out of her misery.
Kat Kennedy
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
The last couple of lines of this book were the best of this whole series.

I still don't LOVE this series but I'll give the next book a read now just because I want to know what bloody happens. Though it's edging eerily close to an Anita Blake theme here.

I think the reason why I liked this story better was because it was blessedly free of demons. When there's a demon around, you can almost bet that Rachel is twice as dumb as usual. Unfortunately, the title of the next book is A Few Demons More.

Fuc
Dannii (lilbob1980)
I found this book really hard to read compared to the previous three. Whilst there was all the usual excitement and twists and turns i was starting to feel like i had read this all before. Rachel is starting to get on my nerves a bit, i really can't understand how one person can keep making such bad mistakes and never learning from them, and she seems to have the biggest libido in the world. Can she survive five minutes without falling in love with someone? And is she ever going to stop toying w ...more
Emma
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I may have overdosed on this series. Usually I like to leave a space between books in a series, but I enjoyed the first in this one so much that I read 4 in a row! I checked reviews and most people think this one was just as good or better than the preceding books. So I think I need a break.
Specifically though, I didn’t like the fact that Rachel was rescuing Nick who didn’t deserve her help. I don’t like Nick and I absolutely HATE him calling her ‘Ray Ray’. I also wasn’t much taken with
alicat ♡➹♡

This book was entertaining but had some seriously annoying moments - basically the same things that have bugged me every book so far. Overall, the good outweighs the bad and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Jenks (view spoiler)

Nick (view spoiler)
Jonetta
The story begins with Rachel in the middle of a Were challenge. They don't like her being David's alpha, which she and David orchestrated so she could be insured and allow him to essentially remain as a lone wolf. Things happen during that challenge that are harbingers of what's to come. If that wasn't enough action, Rachel gets drawn into some Nick drama that includes Jenks' son, Jax. Apparently, he's acquired a powerful artifact that will threaten the Inderland world, giving Weres a dangerous ...more
Robert
Jul 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-s-reads
The charm was lost on me. Maybe I need to remove the stake from the nape of my neck, devour a clove of garlic in less than 12 seconds, follow it up with some red Kool-Aid, douse myself in holy water, and then shoot a silver bullet up my bum. Or maybe I should tell all the werewolves, witches, pixies, and vampires to suck it, and that I’ll handle the trials and tribulations of dangling from a rope myself. Instead of plunging a few of my fantasies into ecstasy, I was left with a look of horror on ...more
VampireNovelFan
Many people loved this book, but this was actually among my least favorite.

Nick, Rachel's ex-boyfriend is a conniving little snot. He adds nothing to this series, except my hate for him. He ends up partnering with Jax (Jenks' son) and they get themselves in trouble with the weres after their attempt to steal the Focus.

The gang take a road trip to save him and Jax, but Jenks needs to be a bit more powerful. Soooo Rachel makes him big! While this particular book wasn't my favorite, that one scene
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
4.5 Stars!

It's funny how a series can sneak up on you and take you by surprise. How it can worm it's way into your thoughts and you find yourself thinking about it at odd times throughout the day until you can get back to where you left off last and devour it some more.

I think this series has done that to me, wormed it's way into my thoughts and made me completely addicted to it.

I just love all the characters and even though Rachel can be trying at times with all the danger she knowingly puts h
Kimmay
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Relief & Irritation.
That is what I am feeling right now. I just now finished book 4 in the Hollows series and I am relieved the book is finished I can now return it to the library! I am glad I didn't buy this or swap this. It was the weakest book in the series so far. And though I may continue on with the series, I will have to give it some time to let the irritation pass.
The whole Ivy/Rachel thing is on my nerves. I like Rachel with Kisten, at least I did until the end of this book. What the
Kira

I made it through this awful book! I deserve a medal for finishing it. It’s taken me weeks to trudge through it. I couldn’t read more than 30 pages at a time. The world is crazy right now, and this book did not do anything to help me escape. All it did was increase my frustration.

I didn’t think it was possible, but I liked it even less the second time around. Considerably less. Every single thing about it is awful. On top of it all, Trent is not even in it.

Nick steals a werewolf relic, and he
Nov 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Kim Harrison always produces reliable escapist literature, so that didn't let me down. I had a few complaints with this book, the most central being that Harrison is playing the lesbian erotica card, even while denying she is denying her main character's potential bisexuality. Rachel is SO sure that she is exclusively straight, but, reading her reactions to Ivy, I am not. Here's the thing, I know Harrison wants me to be unsure. I get it, wavering sexuality is exciting. This is maybe true for the ...more
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Damn, how can I say this? This is a too good to be true series. I love it. I know it had a slow beginning with the first 2 books, but terrific from then on.

This book was amazing. I had never seen so much action and events going on in a same book. Really. So many things happened in this book that I felt like I was reading more than one book in a same series. And I mean this in a good way. Everything just developed smoothly.

UF lovers, you'll love this series, it is so different from all the ones
KatieV
Sometimes I think Jenks is the only character in this series with any sense.

Rachel is screwed up and a bundle of overactive hormones. Ivy is SCREWED up. Nick has shown his true colors. Kisten seems ok, but I'm sure he'll show his ass soon.

It took me a while to listen. The magical parts are gripping, but the interpersonal dwama is something I have to take in small doses. Sometimes I wonder if these characters ever got out of high school. Lets not even start on all the yelling. Maybe it's because
Ashley
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ok let me just say that I actually really like these books, but man am I really starting to get sick of Rachel. I mean COME ON! Why is it that she almost never uses her powers. I know that she's worried about going black when she'd rather stay white, but if your in deep shit somethings got to give. She has all these powers and when she's in trouble she doesn't use them. She waits awhile to see how bad it get's first and I dont think that's because she likes to live on the wild side a bit too muc ...more
Armina
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this but not as much as the previous books in the series. That's why I'm rating it this way.

My biggest complaint is that a big part of the book is devoted to the relationship between Rachel and Ivy and although I like Ivy enough I don't love her ;).

But I love big Jenks. The best parts in the book include him. Also the Were fights and the action in general were amazing!

I missed Trent and Al but considering the title of the next book in the series this will change
Kasia
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I would not recommit this book to anyone who has not read the previous three installments, this series is so mouth wateringly good that you cannot miss a beat; it would truly be a loss for anyone to read this out of order. That aside I will keep the narration of this book short and sweet, ruining or giving anything away is the worst favor anyone can do with this series, the surprises emerge like spring flowers through the snow and action builds up with no sights set up on stopping anyt ...more
Kristy
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Lightreads
This is a road trip book, taking Rachel (witch), and eventually Ivy (living vampire), out of town with a newly reconciled Jencks (pixie) to chase after Nick (human) the ex boyfriend and thief, a potentially powerful artifact, and a lot of werewolves. It’s funny, because though things do happen here and the plot carries forward, I am left with the impression of a placeholder book. Which is still not a bad thing, mind you, and I think Harrison’s instinct to get the original three out of the Hollow ...more
Mel
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Kim Harrison does it again. Just when you think you're actually starting to like Rachel, Harrison turns her into a TSTL whining little girl who seems to be deliberately getting in the biggest trouble possible. All in the mean time while trying to get in the pants of everybody in a radius of 50 miles. And when I say everybody, I mean e-ve-ry-body. Male, female, married, single, big, small, witch, werewolf, vampire...it doens't matter people: Rachel doesn't discriminate. What she does is irritate. ...more
Kribu
Too tired for a proper review.

Short version: liked the plot, liked Jenks, really could have done without the developments with Ivy. (Also, I'm seriously not liking Nick very much. Nope.)
Suz
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
3.5

I like human-sized Jenks.

I am bored with the dissection of the vampire bite experience and angst over the issue.

I like Kisten.

I always thought Nick's existence in Rachel's life proved Rachel was stupid. This book seals that deal.

I didn't miss Trent but I did miss Al.
TJ
Yuck. What the heck happened? Just as I was really getting into and enjoying this series, it completely derailed itself. How? Let me count the ways:

1. Just as we are getting comfortable with the setting, characters and interactions, the author plops us into a completely new setting, with characters we have never heard of and care nothing about.
2. The plot-line with these new characters is so convoluted it makes your head spin. Can’t tell ya how many times I thought, “huh?”
3. The whole WEIRDNESS
Hollows Read-alon...: Bridge scene/ emotional ending 2 38 Dec 18, 2019 10:22AM
Hollows Read-alon...: Beginning A Fistful of Charms / price break! 7 63 Dec 17, 2019 12:39PM
Vampires, Weres a...: A Fistful of Charms (Hollows #4) 55 31 Dec 27, 2017 03:28PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison 11 6 Jul 10, 2016 10:23AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 7 8 Jul 01, 2016 09:29AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 7 7 Jun 30, 2016 04:04PM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)