Start by marking “The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  577 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
It sounds too good to be true. You can save money and the world, inoculate yourself against many of the ills of modern life, andenjoy everything more on both the sensual and profound levels? Preposterous!

Yet here is a toolkit to help you do just that. A tweak here, a twiddle there; every strategy inThe Art Of Frugal Hedonismhas been designed to help you target the most imp
Published January 2nd 2017 by Melliodora Publishing (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Frugal Hedonism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Frugal Hedonism

Audacia Ray
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is an extremely cute, funny, useful book with 50 ideas for leading a full life frugally (without guilt for occasional frivolous splurges).

So, why the two stars? Because damn it, my fellow white people, we need to do better. Tip #10 is "romanticize other eras," and the idea that "people" were happier in the simpler days of say, the 1950s, is a major thread in this book. This is that dangerous white supremacist crossover space between liberals and the Make American Great Again set - other era
Olwen
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ever felt the rampant consumerism of western culture just isn't sitting right for you? Want to find a way to enjoy a simpler way of life? If so, this book will help. Lots of stories and tips for enjoying life without being on the hamster wheel of work-consume-sleep-work.
Joey Diamond
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
even though some dear old friends wrote this book i had my doubts... wouldn't it be just a bit pious? a bit twee?
it is not! sorry i doubted you Annie and Adam.

the premise is sound, the advice is not just what you would expect and the humour is spot on and terribly endearing. less a guide to spending less and more a reminder about what actually makes us happy and advice about how to avoid getting sucked into what doesn't. eccentrics who choose their own fun make the greatest life gurus!

edited to
Liz
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While sitting in an airport a few weeks ago I spotted a woman reading this book. When I see strangers reading books I always feel compelled to find out what they are reading. Luckily, I was sitting opposite this lady and as she held up her book I grabbed a quick glance at the title - 'The Art Of Frugal Hedonism' - how intriguing!! I quickly grabbed my trusty iPhone and went straight for the search button in Goodreads. There it was. I knew this was a book I had to own. Luckily for me, my husband ...more
Peta
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adam (author) humbly mentioned this book while helping out with our garden makeover aka. Permablitz. I had to see what the book was about. Loved every moment of it. Great philosophies for life in our times, told with plenty of humour. It has made me feel inspired for so many areas of life.
Nez
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the thinking behind this book, but really? All these tips are all things anyone with half a brain can figure on their own, like so many people on a small income are FORCED to do. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are just clueless. :P
K
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: simplicity
W22. I loved this! Some parts not totally practical with kids but still awesome.
Reannon Bowen
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book! It's extremely rare that I buy a book after borrowing it from the library but I'll be buying this book! The style of writing is just my thing & it isn't preachy at all. It's a book I know I'll come back to often.
Pam
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an inspiring book! Written by two Australians, It backs up some things we have already been doing and has really got me thinking about what more we can do to live a frugal, pleasurable and sustainable life.
Jess Xu
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An unexpectedly joyous book. Utterly necessary in these mad times, and is both bible and balm for the overindulged but discontented, wearied and time poor.
Kirra
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book! I have thoroughly enjoyed the lovely insights, tips and personal anecdotes provided by both authors. It is hopeful and inspiring to read. x
Ross McDougall
This was such a wonderful surprise! I thought I'd get a how-to of being smarter in the way I live and reducing waste - and I got that plus so much more.

First, aside of all the cool concepts and practices discussed through the book, it was just a joy to read. The authors have a fantastic, fun and entertaining writing style that was so easy to read and made me want to keep learning from them. It was as if they were in my living room drinking a coffee with me.

The 'all-in' style of the authors in th
Steph
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a quaint book with lots of heart. It’s not new, exciting and progressive but it’s adorably-daggy. The book has around 50 short chapters (1-6 pages each) each explaining a principle of frugal hedonism. Some are obvious to people already trying to live in a sustainable way, others went further than I would (eating roadkill?!), but some ideas are interesting, inspiring and practical. Besides, there’s lots of things we know but it’s good to be reminded of (like how expensive it is to own a c ...more
Suzie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. It’s not a book of tips to save money (though it’s suggestions will certainly reduce your spending). It’s a book about changing our mindset about what a good life is really about; about how we can satisfy our needs for connection and novelty and beauty in (physically/mentally/environmentally) healthier ways.

Natalie Frausell
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
While some aspects of the frugal hedonist seem extreme, it’s about choosing a life that you find balance in. A minimalist doesn’t have to own nothing just like a frugal hedonist can spend money. It’s about doing things that really matter and need no justification.
Cara
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so relevant to our current culture of over-consumerism. The authors are not preachy at all, but insightful and encouraging that we take a moment to comprehend the ridiculous abundance we've come to take for granted.
Tara van Beurden
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book everyone should read - you don't have to take everything on board (I certainly won't) but this is a valuable collection of tips on how to get more out of life by consuming less.
Janet Atkinson
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A good quick read, reflects many of my values, presents should be food or books or experiences. :)
Alexandru
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rewarding reading experience

I'm so happy that I managed to intercept this recommendation because it turned out to be a very rewarding reading experience!
Naomi
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It had never entered my mind how much enjoyment or pleasure can come from living a frugal life. Interesting read. Not much application for me but it did make me ponder what I can simplify in my life.
Vmichelle Skinner
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It provides inspiration to take a more frugal approach to life, without all the blah feelings I associate with the word "frugality". This book presents a rich, playful, pleasurable way of living life while spending less - "frugal hedonism".

Some of the ideas in the book are simple and easy - some are more challenging or things I would "never" do. You will probably never catch me foraging for food, hitchhiking, or couch surfing, okay? But there's something in here for everyone.
theStorykeeper
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good introduction/overview of frugal values and how to incorporate them into your life without sacrificing happiness. I've done a fair amount of frugal research myself, so I was already familiar with most of the concepts, but it was fun to read about how the authors applied them. I especially appreciate the comment about how everyone has different comfort levels in terms of how "far" we may be willing to go with frugality. My one criticism is that overall the book seemed a little slapdash; it ...more
Danni Reade
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the voice of this book! It was very funny and clever.

I didn't care for the actual content as much though. Once I got the general message, I found I was skimming over large sections because I could already see what they were trying to say.

I'm all for taking time to appreciate simple every day experiences and not expecting money to make everything amazing, but I tuned out upon foraging for food on the side of the road.

The right type of person will have their life changed by this book. I
readyourself
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too patronizing. Against achievement and romanticized laziness. There are some right concepts about lowering consumerism, but too extreme. I don’t own a car or a tv and I can sympathize partially with some advice but this book advice includes searching for stuff in dumpsters or drinking carton wine on a sidewalk as a cheap alternative.... it’s just too extreme and misses out on giving sensible advice to people looking to save while maintaining a normal life.
Siegrist
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is physically such a gorgeous book! Such silky pages with a beautiful cover with its luscious peach. The voice is warm, with an emphasis on hedonism, pleasure and good company. Lots of wonderful insights into living a simpler life.
Jaclyn Crupi
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some of this book is stating the obvious but it's good to take stock and think about where and how you spend money, especially at this time of year. I live by a lot of the advice this book encourages.
Carly
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute and charming!
Nick Harris
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Useful advice delivered by a Manic Pixie Dream Girl
Christa
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Had a hard time with the writing style. Content and message good.
Rosemary
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is bright and chirpy with some good ideas, but overall I didn't find it particularly inspiring.

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“...travel is ultimately about creating a contrast with everyday life, thereby refreshing your mind and making time seem more spacious.” 0 likes
“Pretend you’re on wartime rations, and eat only the humblest of home cooking for a week – you’ll want to plan your meals and maybe do an initial shop for ingredients. Then make a date to go out for ice cream during this period.” 0 likes