Start by marking “Hand Me Down” as Want to Read:
Hand Me Down

Read Book* *Different edition

Hand Me Down

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Life has always been pretty easy on me. I wake up every morning, drink too much coffee, log in a few hours of work, relax and then start the process all over again the next day.

Like I said, easy.

Of course, like everyone, life has been known to throw me the occasional curve ball - just a little something to remind me not to get too comfortable. Because once you get to tha
Paperback, 1, 232 pages
Published May 21st 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Hand Me Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Me Down

XxTainaxX
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. Alex divorced Kate's sister after she got pregnant by another man. He seems to have gotten a little lost when everything he knew was suddenly gone and went off on his own to sulk. Kate's sister sends her in a mission to get her ex to pay for some repairs and in the process, Kate reconnects with him. The story follows the transition from two people who barely talked at family dinners to friends and finally more. They bond over video games (LOVE me some gamer chicks) and scavenger hunts ...more
Dianne
Sometimes hand-me-downs are just plain hateful and sometimes you find you just may fall in love with them.

Kate was only the messenger, but the cool stare and attitude she got from Alex Paige really wasn’t to be unexpected, after all, SHE hadn’t divorced him after getting pregnant with another man’s child that was her selfish, self-centered sister. But an errand done in protest became the unlikely beginning of a very unlikely friendship that could spell trouble for Kate’s heart.

Her sister took e
Nicole
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs

Loved it...this story was very enjoyable and pleasant to read with also a slightly different theme, plot. Our heroine Kate is the baby of the family after her sister's divorce she gets close with he her ex-brother in law but the thing is that it was so beautifully written and doesn't make you feel strange with the whole situation when you read it you will understand what i'm saying.

Their relationship and therefore their attraction to each other grew up steadily and it was unexpected for both of
Tam Tam
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic. I cannot believe this is her debut novel. I really, really enjoyed it. The plot was imaginative and the characters in it were so well-developed. It immediately had me in Kate's shoes and feeling all of her emotions and helplessness at times. Kate was a great, unique character that was so relatable and likeable because she was a balance of strength and openness.

Kate finds herself in an odd situation wondering what the right thing to do is and if she should go wi
Emily Goodman
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How in the world is this book Christen Gillan’s first? Hand Me Down is one of those books that I absorbed with my mind, body and soul. Gillan wove a fantastic tale of forbidden love that demands your attention until the very end.

Hand Me Down is the story of a self professed gamer nerd and loner, Kate and her forbidden attraction to her off limits recently divorced ex brother in law, Alex. Now, immediately you think this is such a taboo relationship because how could a sister do that to another
Edie
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 "I Need More" Stars

I found this book on Twitter, somehow. I think the author had tagged New Adult or something, and wah-la, this gem popped up. Now, to be honest, I probably would have ignored it upon first glance because I typically shy away from self-published, indie books (I'm a book snob, I know) but it's the truth. Nevertheless, I fell into the spiral of checking it out and discovered that it was Free on Kindle Unlimited (which I can't seem to cancel my subscription too, damn it) and ga
Kirstie
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate is a self proclaimed hermit, she works from home, her social activities involve war games with other on-line gamers, her best friend is connected mostly by phone calls and text messages and Sundays she has dinner with the family. Kate's world is pretty comfy except her self centered sister always manages to rock the boat.

Kate's sister Jenny is divorced and pregnant...and the baby daddy is not her ex's. Not being able to live the life she had become accustomed to, Jenny manipulates Kate into
Samantha Hanson
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hand Me Down is the first book by Christen Gillan that I have ever read. I was shocked that there are no reviews because this book is so well written is deserves to have an army of reviews. Such an original novel with so much charm.

Kate is such a strong lead female with her teal hair and gamer personality. Honestly, I wasn’t a big fan of hers in the beginning but she grew on me and my heart broke when she was faced with difficult times. Alex Paige is swoon worthy and their sex scenes are hella
Shweta Choudhary
I loved this book very much! I wished it was longer so that I could spend more time with Alex and Kate! It was provoking, emotional read and I really loved the plot! I could connect with the characters and was cheering for the since the start!! Amazing book and highly recommend!
Chrissy
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read; cute story too!
Irma
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't belive this is a debu!
With a perfection this story is delivered to a reader. It's flawless and perfect!
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I had the pleasure of reading Christen Gillan’s debut novel, Hand Me Down. This is most definitely a unique romance, in that it tells the story of Kate and her ex brother-in-law, Alex. Kate is a gamer geek, loner, and has the mouth of a sailor. Alex has been busy rebuilding his life since his wife Jenny (Kate’s sister), cheated on him and became pregnant by her secret lover. Kate has not had contact with Alex since his divorce from Jenny, but when Jenny’s home needs repairs, she talks Kate ...more
Wit & Wonder Books
***ARC PROVIDED BY AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW***

Christen Gillan’s novel ‘Hand me Down’ was a great book to read and relax with on a lazy Sunday afternoon and that is exactly how I read it. This is a 5 star read and unbelievably it is the debut novel from this author.

I was captivated by Kate and somewhat related to the social awkwardness and need to appease her sister just to make life easier. Kate works from home on computer and also loves gaming online meaning that she doesn't go out often, pr
Kelsey
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Patterson doesn't need anybody, or anything in this life other than her Xbox, her family, and her best friend Sirah. When her sister Jenny shows up at her house over broken pipes in her kitchen, Kate has no idea what she's getting herself into. Recently divorced, and recently knocked up by her yoga instructor, Jenny Patterson is known for manipulating people, and getting them to do her biding. When she begs Kate to show up at her ex-husbands house asking for the pipes to be fixed, Kate take ...more
Lisa
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this the the first book by Christen Gillian, but from reading this book you wouldn't know it. Hand Me Down is well written with characters that make you feel for them and with them. I really enjoyed this book.
Kate is a fantastically quirky, self-named hermit. She is works from home, her social life mainly consists of the online gaming community and the few calls and texts with her BFF and former college roomate. She does spend Sundays at her parents house spending time with her parents and tryin
Jacquie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Heartfelt Stars

Hand Me Down is the debut novel from Christen Gillan and I have to say it was very good!! The pace was steady and the story held my interest throughout, with believable characters that you care about.

This is the beautiful story of the somewhat rocky romance between Kate (young, a loner working from home who loves to play video games) and Alex (disillusioned ex brother-in-law...say "WHAT??!!")

When Kate's sister, the detestable Jenny, asks her to beg for money from her ex husban
Jodi Hunley Bird
Hand Me Down by Christen Gillan is a fun quick read.

Kate is a gaming geek. She loves Xbox and is a home body. Alex is an architect. These two should not be a couple. Kate’s sister Jenn is was married to Alex. Not only that, but Alex is older than then Kate by seven years. Alex and Kate were never close when Jenn and Alex were married, but now, Kate can’t imagine life without Alex.

I enjoyed this story. I like the characters of Alex and Kate. They are fun and complex all at the same time. The dyn
Breanna Eichhorn
Kate forgot that her sister was at her apartment using her kitchen. When Jenny asked her if she always yelled at her game that much. Jenny guilt tripped Kate into going to Alex's house and getting him to fix the pipes in her kitchen. When Kate goes to Alex's house she feels very guilty about it.

Kate has type one diabetes, she works from home, she has her own food restrictions that she has to overcome, she is a gamer. Alex is Jenny's ex husband, doesn't have family left. Architect. Jenny is Kate'
Allie York
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was real and beautiful and left me with a wonderful book hangover.
Kate is a gamer, a bit of a geek, and a homebody.
Alex is an architect with serious trust issues after a divorce...from Kate's sister.
Kate and Alex were never close during his marriage to her sister, Jenn, but after being asked for a favor from her conniving sister, Kate and Alex hit it off. The book is well written and the situation is a lot less awkward than it sounds. The humor and plot flow seamlessly as Kate and
Honestly Honest Bookworm
Favorite Quotes:
"And I'd do it all over again if it meant I got you at the end of it all."
Side Note :
I've been dying to read this story for awhile, unfortunately, it wasn't the book for me. Being an avid Call of Duty gamer, there were some things off that really bothered me (oops). My biggest problem with the book, I really hated all the characters except for maybe Kate and her best friend, Sirah. Maybe it's because I connected to Katie so much because I'm basically her, virgin in her 20's a
Vicki
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 shining stars

A beautiful read that captivates you from the start as you fall in love with the quiet Kate who's a bit of a loner spending her days working or gaming, the baby of the family.

Alex another quiet soul, bit of a loner also local architect and Kate's ex brother in law.

After a favour to her sister, who you just love to hate. Kate starts to see Alex in a new light, will this be a forbidden love or a hand me down worth holding onto.

A beautiful read full of emotion and humour and a
Amber
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice quick read, with serious undertones.
I liked that even though this could be considered New Adult or Contemporary it had an underlying lesson at the end of the story.
Jeanne Grace
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2, winners
I loved this book. I wished it was longer. I received it from goodreads giveaway for my honest unbiased review.
Melanie
This was such a quick and easy read. I did enjoy the storyline however I felt that there was so much left out. I feel that Alex needed more attention. To me everything was just too rushed.
L
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I only wish the story was a bit longer. The ending felt a bit abrupt. It would've been nice to see how they would deal with Sunday dinner's and that whole dynamic with her sister afterwards. Also to see how their relationship strengthens over time. Maybe adding an epilogue would have rounded it out more nicely. Other than that, I really enjoyed this story. The hero being the ex brother-in-law really could have been an automatic ewww read for me. But it was surprisingly sweet story an ...more
Suzanne
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy epic debut, Batman! Just gonna put this out now… grab this book. Read it. Devour it. Feel the emotional involvement I felt with this one. I honestly am floored at how stunning this book is. It kept me totally engrossed through the whole book. Laughed. Cried. Yelled. Wanted to kick the evil stepsisters ass… but besides that, this was an epic tale of finding love where you least expect it and it hits you with a bang.
I think one of the reasons I connected so well with this book is that Kate i
Ashley
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg

I'm glad I read this book!!! I was intrigued by Alex and Kate's story. I hope that there are more books to come. Need to write us some more of these fantastic stories Christen Gillan...
Sue Poitras
May 27, 2016
Gina
Mar 29, 2017
ZH
Aug 27, 2016
  • Dreamweavers
  • Taming Kiera (Therian Agents, #3)
  • The Girl from Berlin: Standartenführer's Wife
  • A Minger's Tale: Beginnings
  • Open Home, Closed Heart (Hawaiian Heartbreak, #4)
  • Angelic Blood (Blood, #5)
  • The Blue Diamond (The Razor's Edge, #1)
  • Gideon Lee (Starlight Chronicles #1)
  • A Clueless Woman (A Woman Lost, #0)
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • The Sacrifice (The Golden Key Legacy #2)
  • Rock Bottom (The Gifted Realm, #4)
  • Kip the Quick
  • On the Run (Big Mike and Minnie #1)
  • Savage Bytes (Hacked Investigations, #2)
  • The Song That Seduced Paris (The Bel Homme Quartet #1)
  • Breaking Rules
  • Saven Disclosure (Saven #2)
Christen Gillan hails from a small town in the Appalachian region of Kentucky. Typically, she can be found with her nose tucked into a book or hunched over a pad of paper, undoubtedly jotting down another inappropriate idea persuading her to bring it to life.

In the off chance that she is not doing either of those things then she is definitely planted in front of a TV, obsessing over a sporting ev
More about Christen Gillan

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be