Start by marking “When Tides Turn (Waves of Freedom, #3)” as Want to Read:
When Tides Turn (Waves of Freedom, #3)

When Tides Turn

(Waves of Freedom #3)

Tess Beaumont is tired of being thought of as just a pretty face. Eager to do her part for the war effort, she joins the Navy's newly established WAVES program for women. Perhaps there she can convince people that there is more to her than meets the eye.

Lt. Dan Avery has been using his skills in the fight against German U-boats and hoping to make admiral. The last thing he
Published March 14th 2017 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published March 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about When Tides Turn, please sign up.
Clare Martha Thérèse Each book in the series by Sarah Sundin are free-standing, meaning the plots do not build up on each book, but have their own plots. However, there…moreEach book in the series by Sarah Sundin are free-standing, meaning the plots do not build up on each book, but have their own plots. However, there are usually references to the characters from the previous books, and if you do not want to spoil exactly what happened to them, then maybe you shouldn't read them out of order. I have read them out of order a few times, though, and it was fine.(less)

Jesseca Wheaton
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. That was, without a doubt, the most wonderful, amazing, precious, book EVER! To the point where I cried happy tears 'cause of just how beautiful it was. I'm . . . not sure I've ever cried over happiness in a book before. It was utterly AMAZING!

Full review to come later. When I can think clearly again.

Okay, full review now. And I'm just going to point out at the beginning that while I'm doing my best to keep this review to a moderate length . . . that may not actually work. xD

W
Kellyn Roth
Original Review Back in March:

I have no words. *sobs, laughs, smiles, etc.* It can't be over, can it?! I just can't be ... and yet it is. I'm honestly a little disappointed but that's just because I want there to be more, not because this isn't the most amazing book ever. Because this book ... wow. It's so good! Real review coming soon. :)

Thoughts Now:
Um ... it has been too long to write a review. *bows* BUT IT WAS GOOD.
Hannah
What a delightful book! I liked Tess's determination to become a better version of herself and to be the sort of person who people respected. I liked how she wanted to help find out who was sabotaging Yvette's French group's plans for freedom, and enjoyed the guessing that went on with that story, as she helps find the traitor(s) in the group and stop the leaking of info to Nazis.

The romance was great, too. I'm really picky over what I term a "great" romance, but this one is authentic and so sw
Hayden
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review coming later, but for now I'll just say that I haven't read a 5-star Christian novel in practically forever, but I'm happy to hand out all the stars here. THIS ONE WAS JUST SO DARN CUTE.

UPDATE:

Y'all know I love a good Sarah Sundin book. I'm not generally the type for novels that are more on the romance-y side (I tend to like romantic mushy-ness as a subtle side dish rather than a main course) but her books are the exception. I loved the first book in this series, but didn't care for
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I have so enjoyed this series by Sarah Sundin and, while I’m sad to see it end, When Tides Turn is a great sendoff. The history incorporated seamlessly into the story continues to intrigue me.

And the romance… I have to admit, from the past two books, Tess has not been my favorite character. But she completely redeems herself in When Tides Turn. I love the color she adds to Dan’s life, and the way she upends his best efforts to maintain a cordial distance. Dan’s journey through the novel – as wel
Brittany
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed the entire Waves of Freedom series, and When Tides Turn is an excellent addition to it. If you have not read the series, I believe you can still enjoy When Tides Turn. However, I really liked catching up with the previous couples from books one and two in this story and seeing what was going on in their lives.

Tess was definitely not a favorite of mine when she appeared in the previous books, but I couldn’t help but love her in this novel! When Tides Turn is packed with interesting
Maureen Timerman
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
We are back with the Avery family, and how I love being with them and catching up with all of their lives. With this book we are right in the heart of battle in WWII, and watching the war turn before our very eyes.
This is also Tess’s story and what a heroine she is, but as tough as she is, she is still quite fragile, and yet she is ready to give her life for a friend. Will she be able over come her fears and open her heart to a bit of romance and love?
Then there is Dan Avery and his fear of comm
Amy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Turning the final page with a big, sappy grin and a deep sigh... Sarah does it once again! Read my full review at http://www.amydrown.com/review-when-t...
Shantelle
Absolutely amazing and well worth the wait! Filled with adventure, friendship, faith, romance, hard lessons, emotion, and a bit of danger, When Tides Turn made me so in love with reading. ❤

I'm always excited to dive into another book from Sarah Sundin. She brings the 1940s and World War II to life, and sucks me into the lives of her sweet, dear characters. Quintessa Beaumont was quite lovable with her vibrant personality. It was exciting to get her story, and watch her work through life issues,
Cara Putman
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Tides Turn is the culmination of my favorite series of Sarah's. It has mystery, romance, a tiny touch of suspense, and a cast that just won't let me go. There's realism of the war and what it was like on the homefront. There's so much in the book that makes it feel like a smorgasborg of perfection. All my favorite elements are included and I closed the book with such a happy sigh. Sarah is one of those writers who truly gets better with each book.

If you love World War II, historicals, and a
Caitlyn Santi
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have adored this series since the very beginning of Through Waters Deep. So, I was very much looking forward to this third book! Quite honestly I really didn't like Quintessa very much in the two previous books and I did find myself feeling a tad skeptical that she would ever grow on me, I needn't have worried, in Sarah Sundin's masterful hands Tess became a fantastic heroine that I very much liked and was rooting for from the start of her story! It was great getting to know Dan, we have only ...more
Alicia
Oh, I absolutely loved it! My favourite one of the series! I loved the romance (no-nonsense Dan and spirited Tess made an adorable couple), the naval history, the mystery, everything about it...5 + stars!
Melanie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
I really enjoyed When Tides Turn. I was a bit lost with the story at times, partly because I had a hard time remembering the previous books and who everyone was/what all happened before, but that didn't stop me from finding the book intriguing to read and fun!

I loved the little nuggets of real history that I learned throughout the story (especially WAVES). Sarah Sundin does a fantastic job of weaver facts and fiction, to where you feel like the entire story is real. I love that! Also, I loved th
Holly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful story! It was interesting and educational. I love how the author pulled in situations and people of World War II along with her fictional characters. It gave the story a very authentic feel.

Tessa was great. I met her in book one and she came across as a spoiled brat. However, in book three she shows she truly is a woman of character and depth. The storyline of her fighting to be “more than a pretty face” was excellent.

Dan was priceless! A man of strong integrity that believed it
Olivia
I will admit that I hesitated in requesting this for review. I haven't read the rest of the series and I worried that it might make this one hard to get into. The first fourth of the book was a little slow for me, as many characters were mentioned from the last two books, but as the story neared the middle I was hooked.

I loved the message of this book. The little tid-bits of lessons from the Bible was so good, perfect in Dan and Tess's life as they stayed served in the Navy. Dan got on my nerves
Melissa
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third and final novel in Sundin's Waves of Freedom series immerses readers in 1942 wartime Boston. Quintessa is a fascinating character, and everything about the developing romance between her and Dan is realistic, heartwarming and humorous. Tess' ability to make light of a situation is the perfect balance to Dan's stodgy behavior. Sundin's research is stellar; the information and detail about the Navy and the WAVES during this time period is thoroughl
Janell R.
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to start off this review by saying I discovered something about writing styles in relation to myself when I was having a conversation with a friend the other day. She said there are three main story telling styles. Character driven stories, plot driven stories, and theme driven stories. When she told me that I was able to identify why some books really stick with me and others leave me with more of a ‘meh’ reaction. My favorites are character driven stories, a close second being plo ...more
Karen R
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another exciting World War Two story by this wonderful author! This third book in the Waves of Freedom series is set mainly in Boston from mid-1942 to 1943, coupled with plenty of action in the Atlantic and beyond, as the naval battles escalated. It was easy to read as a stand alone, picking up where the other books left off, with some returning characters.

Love how this author's books are so well-researched, giving just enough information to make it interesting and visualize the scenes, but neve
Rachelle Cobb
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah’s WWII novels are such a historically accurate treat. I really enjoyed the well-developed character arcs and growth of the main characters, too!
Staci
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
The Waves of Freedom Series included the welcome addition of a mystery to each of the novels. In When Tides Turn, we get Tess and Dan's story. Tess is known only for her beauty and not her substance. Dan is 100% focused on his work and nothing else. Their characters were likable and showed good development throughout the story.

The author does a spectacular job with research and incorporated actual events and names into this story. The detail at sea didn't keep my interest, but I enjoyed all the
Rachael
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though it seems impossible given how much I loved the first book in the series, I just might like When Tides Turn a smidgen more. Both are spectacular. Once again, Sundin takes us deep into the historical details of the war, with fun and engaging characters to guide us. After a recent weekend playing the boardgame Axis and Allies, I found the battles more interesting than usual, and I was picturing the movements of the various ships and u-boats on the giant world map as I read.

Dan is the best--h
Haley S
First of all, I want to thank Sarah Sundin for holding the giveaway in which I won this book! I was so excited when I got the message from her! I couldn’t wait to read the newest book by her. When the book arrived in my mail box, I couldn’t wait to begin reading it. Then, it was time for my spring break. And, for this year’s spring break, my sisters, Mom, and I traveled 700 miles to our destination. And then 700 miles back. That is when I read one of my newest favorite books—When Tides Turn. It ...more
Beth Erin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish http://wp.me/p7ngfE-Gq

Ahoy there! It's the conclusion of the Waves of Freedom series and a fitting finale for these WWII Navy men and women readers have grown to love!

Although she occasionally came across as a bit silly in the previous two books, Quintessa is determined to be more than just a pretty face. Tess is a good girl, she's naturally inclined to follow the rules and shower others compassion and encouragement.

Dan has been an all work and no play kind of
Amy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Tides Turn is book three from the Waves of Freedom series. I enjoyed this book and getting a glimpse of the WAVES during WWII. I personally was excited to read the parts set in Northern Ireland, where my grandparents met and married my American grandfather was stationed there. This is my favorite of the series.
5 stars.
Rebekah Tooley
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Wow! What an amazing book! It obviously didn't affect me as much as it would if I had read the other two books in the series, but it still touched me and I still loved it!!! Now I DEFINITELY have to read the others in the series!!!
Rebecca Carter
Review coming tomorrow. :)
Emily
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Tess Beaumont learns that the career goal she has been working toward for the last ten months is fruitless, she decides to change her course and make a difference in WWII by joining the new women’s program in the Navy called the WAVES. She hopes the distance and the rules against marrying a fellow Naval officer will help her forget her attraction to Lt. Dan Avery, but her hopes are in vain when he is ordered to become her commanding officer. However, Dan might be just what Tess needs to hel ...more
Tricia Mingerink
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is amazing! I think book 2 is still my favorite, and this book (book 3) started a little slower than the others, but it was still amazing. It was really interesting learning about the WAVES and ways that women aided the war effort in WWII. And the last chapter of this book was simply adorable!

My only real complaint about this book is that it is the last one! I'm not ready to stop reading about the Avery family and their friends. Especially since this book ends in 1943, so I kno
Rachel
I enjoyed this final book in the Waves of Freedom series. We finally get Dan & Quintessa's story! :) Quintessa (Tess) has gone through a lot of change since we first met her in Book 1 (Through Waters Deep). Thankfully, she has done some maturing and is determined to prove that she's not just a pretty face. And then there is Dan... who has locked his feelings away for so long, he has a hard time loosening up! When these two start to fall in love, they each have to learn to let go of pre-conce ...more
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my word. Ms. Sundin's books just get better and better and better. I absolutely one hundred percent fell madly in love with Dan and Tess. WHEN TIDES TURNED held me spellbound all the way through from start to finish and it was so hard to put it down to do what I had to d0.

Dan is a bit of a stick in the mud. Steadfast. Solid. Dependable. Set on the course and no deviation. And then there is Tess. A beautiful golden girl who totally captivated Dan, and even though he fought it he couldn't res
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Simple Faith (Peacemakers #2)
  • Circle of Spies (The Culper Ring, #3)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)
  • The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Royal Wedding Threat (Protecting The Crown #5)
  • Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own, #3)
  • A Note Yet Unsung (Belmont Mansion, #3)
  • High As the Heavens
  • From This Moment  (From This Moment, #1)
  • A Convenient Christmas Wedding (Frontier Bachelors, #5)
  • For the Record (Ozark Mountain Romance #3)
  • All is Bright (Cape Light #15)
Sarah Sundin enjoys writing about the drama and romance of the World War II era. She is the bestselling author of The Sky Above Us (February 5, 2019) and The Sea Before Us (2018), as well as the Waves of Freedom, Wings of the Nightingale series, and Wings of Glory series. Her novels Through Waters Deep and When Tides Turn were named to Booklist's "101 Best Romance Novels of the Last 10 Years." Thr ...more

Waves of Freedom (3 books)
  • Through Waters Deep (Waves of Freedom, #1)
  • Anchor in the Storm (Waves of Freedom, #2)