Start by marking “The Mark of the King” as Want to Read:
The Mark of the King

The Mark of the King

After being imprisoned and branded for the death of her client, twenty-five-year-old midwife Julianne Chevalier trades her life sentence for exile to the fledgling 1720s French colony of Louisiana, where she hopes to be reunited with her brother, serving there as a soldier. To make the journey, though, women must be married, and Julianne is forced to wed a fellow convict.

W
Published January 3rd 2017 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of the King

Jody Hedlund
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, historical
The Mark of the King grabbed me from the first scene and wouldn’t let me go! The setting is vibrant, unique, and full of fascinating true details about the early French settlement in New Orleans. With arranged marriages, forced immigration, and struggles against starvation, the elements, and warring natives, the story is riveting. A must-read!
Rachel McMillan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sumptuous, spell-binding evocation of life in 1720's Louisiana will keep you riveted. The compelling characters and alluring plot take as many twists and turns as a jutting river. I truthfully didn't know what to expect. Each third of the book pivots in another direction with a welcome surprise. This is far more than a run-of-the-mill CBA historical romance: Green puts poetic pen to an oft-forgotten seminal part of American history. To add, she infuses history with a natural sense of verisimil ...more
Madelyn
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian Women
The ability of Jocelyn Green to depict a desolation so obsolete but personify inherent feelings within each of us is stunning. It was a joy to read the history of my hometown through the eyes of Green’s characters. I’ll see the French Quarters with new eyes, and appreciate the foundation of our state as one of hardship and turmoil, but also of perseverance and hope.

The storyline was not, per say, new. I’ve read of midwifes and their loss of babies or mothers, and the judgement that followed (suc
Hannah
Whew, quite the story! There's so much here, and yet the story also is descriptive, sometimes overly so. Some details were gory, some heartbreaking, but the author also makes me root for Julianne every step of the way. Still deciding what all I think....but the ending, with the drawing together of a family, was excellent.

Content: over 18
Dawn
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll add more details once I write my review for the LitFuse Blog Tour in a few days... but I will add that the writing was EXCELLENT. Didn't hesitate giving it 5 stars.

UPDATED:

I've been following this book ever since Jocelyn Green announced it had been contracted and would be releasing in early 2017. And although I didn't know a thing about it, I couldn't wait to read it simply because it was hers.

What I found in the pages of The Mark of the King was a story brimming with raw struggles, yet al
Sarah Sundin
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweeping and stirring, The Mark of the King by Jocelyn Green tells of grace in the middle of dishonor and despair. The writing draws a fascinating and unsentimental picture of colonial life, but the characters are at the heart of the story. Complex, moving, and real, Julianne and Marc-Paul and the side characters draw you into their world. They struggle with secrets, disgrace, and grief, and come out stronger. A touching novel you won’t want to miss.
Katie
This was on my favorites list by the 3rd chapter. Jocelyn Green wrote an unflinching story about the hardships and triumphs and challenges of colonizing Louisiana. I am not familiar with the history of Louisiana, so this story was new but rang with authenticity. The characters lept off the pages and the plot kept me reading (instead of cooking or eating or anything else).
I highly recommend this book!
Alicia
Wow. Where to begin? Seriously impressed with this book. The history, setting and characters leaped off the pages and I couldn't help but stay up late into the night to read it (“one more chapter” turned into finishing it!).

Julianne is charged with the death of her patient and branded for life with “the mark of the king”. She is transported to Louisiana as part of an initiative to populate that region for France, after being forced to marry a fellow convict. Life there is brutal and unforgiving
Andrea Cox
4 stars

This story easily made my favorites list. Mrs. Green’s voice was beautiful while gracefully relaying history as well as prose. She tugged me right into the story from the first page, and I don’t think closing the book will let me go. One thing I especially enjoyed was how she so masterfully used misunderstandings between a bevy of characters to heighten the stakes as well as sweep my emotions further into the snarl of complexity this story so elegantly became. This book was very reminisce
Beth
Quickie review!

The Mark of the King truly swept me up in the life of Julianne Chevalier. The historical details are fascinating, and the plot moves at an exciting pace. Vivid descriptions and intense scenes kept me reading as quickly as I could. The descriptions of the fledgling city of New Orleans are nothing I've read about before, and Jocelyn Green bring it into sharp focus. The harshness of the land is evident throughout, and the temerity of Julianne and the other inhabitants is admirable.

Th
Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)
Originally posted to https://christianshelfesteem.wordpres...

Captivating! The Mark of the King takes place between 1719 and 1722, covering a period of Louisiana's colonial history that is seldom written about in historical fiction. Interesting facts about the living conditions in the French settlement, interactions with the Indians, midwifery, and early medicine bolster the tale, while Jocelyn Green's emotive writing tugs at your heartstrings.

Falsely imprisoned in Paris's notorious Salpêtrière,
Staci
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magnifique!

The Mark of the King is rich in the history of New Orleans. Its history unfolds through the story of Julianne Chevalier, a 25 year old Parisian midwife. I knew that New Orleans had a French influence, but didn't know the details from the early 1700s. Simply fascinating. I really can't say enough about the historical element of this novel.

Vivid imagery brings the environment to life. I could feel the humidity and hear the mosquitoes buzzing in my ears. I could visualize the young city.
Emilee
This book really knocked my socks off! I picked it up at the library on a whim and I am so glad I did! It starts off with a prologue that grabbed me in and held me captive until the very last word. This story has so much action and adventure. The history is mind boggling, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! Grab a box of tissues and hold on to your seat historical fiction fans, you won't be disappointed!
Nancee
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Julianne Chevalier's life was in shreds. Convicted for a crime that she didn't commit, she was arrested and branded with the mark of the King of France. Forced to marry and travel to Louisianna with orders to help develop a colony resulted in near hopeless conditions. As a midwife she was scrupulous, but loneliness and adversity were her constant companions. Her brand induced recurring horrors.

I loved Julianne's character, a strong, capable young woman whose sensitivity and fortitude accompanied
Heather Gilbert
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, favorites
Rarely do I encounter such well-researched, beautifully-written, theme-rich historical fiction as The Mark of the King. From the first page, I was riveted to Julianne's story. Chock-full of atmospheric detail, this novel transported me to a place I had never read much about, and even though it brought to light horrors I had never heard of, the entirety of the story was wrapped with the repeated theme of the grace of God. I love books that gently bring timeless truths to life (as opposed to spell ...more
Sally Bradley
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Jocelyn Green book, and it will definitely not be my last. This is really a married romance, and it's nice to see books like that. Yes, it's also a marriage of convenience story, but it moves beyond that quickly.

One of the big plusses of this book is that it is set during the start of New Orleans. And what a fascinating part of the story that was! I'm not a N'awlins fan or anything like that, but this was such a unique time period and it was told so very well. I loved every seco
Charlene
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!
Sarah Grace Grzy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, i-own, cover-love
4.5 stars! RTC
Lisa at Farm Fresh Adventures
When I say that this book is a journey, I mean it. Julianne goes through so much despair and trials that they would break any "ordinary" person. Yet she repeatedly draws on her faith in God and Jesus to help her walk through the worst of times. The author brought this book to life so much, it made me despair for Julianne. It made me despise other characters. It made me hold my breath and brought me to the point of tears. I screamed internally for the abuse of Julianne, empathized with her longin ...more
Fiction Aficionado
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love learning history through fiction, so this novel went on my TBR list as soon as it made a blip on my radar. And in no way did it disappoint! It is impossible not to get caught up in Julianne’s story from the moment she finds herself wrongfully convicted, through to her forced marriage, and then the trials she endures once she reaches Louisiana – both physical and emotional. And it’s beautifully written, in such a way that the words themselves fade into the background and you become immerse ...more
Bhriv
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Mark of the King, written by Jocelyn Green, is the first book I've read by this author.

WOW! All I can say is that The Mark of the King is a book you will Not want to put down. I rode the waves with this one! Green took me on a trip from France in 1719....to the land of the free and the home of the brave in rough and tough New Orleans. My favorite character is Julianne...by far she is a character with so many qualities you just absolutely will laugh with, cry with, cheer on, and cry some mor
Samantha
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Mark of the King was my first book by Jocelyn Green and it was so good! She is a very talented author and I will definitely read more of her books!!
Lydia Howe
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why I Choose this Book:

I've read other books by Jocelyn Green that I learned a ton from. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, especially when the romance is kept in check. Some of Miss Jocelyn's books have had a little too much romance for my taste, but those parts have been easily skimmed over in the past, so I figured this book would probably be the same.

What I Thought about this Book:

Oh my lands. Within the first several pages I was already needing to look different historical el
Joleen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mark of the King was a brand put on Julianne, marking her as a murderer. She was accused of negligence while doing her job as a midwife which went wrong. Another woman's testimony was to her detriment. Branded and put in prison, her life was virtually over.
An opportunity to be on a ship with other convicts to be sent to New Orleans appeared to her as a lifeline out. What she didn't know was that the female convicts had to choose among male conflicts on the boat a spouse, and bear children f
Clarissa
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"You are a child of the King; it is His image you bear. King Louis marked you with judgment, but the King of Kings covers you with grace. Whose mark will you now display?"

After the last word in this novel, all I felt was bereft. The sadness and peace and forgiveness entwine into a enchanting tale sure to sweep you off your feet.

Honestly, starting this book had me searching quite a few reviews to give me a hint of how this would turn out. Needless to say, I was surely disappointed. After complet
Neisa
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book left me speechless! I have read a lot of historical fiction works, but nothing has compared to this roller coaster of a read.

This story of colonial New Orleans will pull you in from the first page! I did not know what to expect, but it was not what the many twists and turns that this book takes. The author does an amazing job at portraying the brutality that many colonists faced, when moving to America. Instead of this happy adventurous atmosphere that you see in other books and even m
Maureen Timerman
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
We follow Julianne Chevalier from the prison in Paris to the shores of Louisiana, as she journeys with her new husband, a man she has just met. Made me think of Nazi Germany, trying to make a pure race, Aryan for Germany and French for the King of France.
Julianna has been marked by the King of France, on her shoulder, as a murderer, which we witnessed and saw the injustice, made me glad I didn’t live in the 1720’s, and I don’t think it was much better in America, or the territories.
When she and
Beth Erin
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review plus author q&a on Faithfully Bookish http://www.faithfullybookish.com/revi...

Readers, prepare to be completely captivated by this story… WOW!!! The rich cultures and customs from France to the dismal conditions across the sea in Louisiana are fascinating. However, it was the challenging experiences of the characters within this book are what kept me turning page after page long into the night and early morning!

Julianne’s journey as a midwife, convicted criminal, and early settle
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2kB77Pp

The Mark of the King is an epic and intense story of courage, determination, betrayal, loss – with hope and redemption running in a steady current along the way. This is the first novel by Jocelyn Green that I’ve read and this skilled author has immediately become a favorite. The Mark of the King is literally a work of art, reflective of a quality that is rare in Christian fiction, and I long for more novels like this.

I was totally captured f
Missy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story about peace, grace, and hope. It is the story of Juliette Chevalier, a trained midwife in 1720s Paris. During one of the births she is attending all goes wrong, and she is sent to prison and given the mark of the king for murder. Her future is dismal, at best, if she stays in the prison. But she learns about and trades her life for exile in Louisiana – where her brother, Benjamin, is serving as a soldier, but with a twist. She is forced to marry before she leaves for Louis ...more
  • Burning Sky
  • A Moonbow Night
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings #1)
  • The Captive Heart
  • With Every Breath
  • A Note Yet Unsung (Belmont Mansion, #3)
  • High As the Heavens
  • The Message in a Bottle Romance Collection: Hope Reaches Across the Centuries Through One Single Bottle, Inspiring Five Romances
  • Rebellious Heart
“Talk to the Lord, Julianne. Even if you're mad as hornets. If you keep it all bottled up, you'll only end up with a belly full of bee stings.” 6 likes
“Beware, Julianne. Sorrow breeds isolation, and isolation brings despair.” 3 likes