Start by marking “Apex Predators: The World's Deadliest Hunters, Past and Present” as Want to Read:
Apex Predators: The World's Deadliest Hunters, Past and Present

Apex Predators: The World's Deadliest Hunters, Past and Present

What does it take to be the “top dog”?
      In his latest book, the award-winning author and illustrator Steve Jenkins introduces readers to apex predators—the animals that are at the top of their food chains and have no natural enemies. Using his signature art style, Jenkins illustrates how these animals dominate their different ecosystems using speed, strength, and even
Published June 6th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Apex Predators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apex Predators

Beverly
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbnf-500
Excellent illustrations and fascinating, although limited facts.
Lisa
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With large pictures and short descriptions, Steve Jenkins teaches about the Apex Predators - those predators so powerful and ferocious that no one hunts them. Both extinct and modern, we learn about tigers and sharks and the Komodo dragon, the apex predator dinosaurs - like the giant Tylosaurus, and the Utahraptor, extinct mammals like the giant short-faced bear and the marsupial saber-tooth, and even extinct predatory birds like the giant Teratorn or the flightless terror bird.

Each illustratio
Ro Menendez
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Succinct, engaging information about current and extinct apex predators with a visual scale reference to help readers visualize the size of each animal showcased and illustrations by Steve Jenkins make this book an enjoyable, quick read. A "Who Would Win?" section at the end will get readers comparing and contrasting predator facts to see if they agree with the book's assessment. I really enjoy Jenkin's illustrations, but personally, I always rather read a non-fiction picture book on animals tha ...more
Victoria Bottoms
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 11-20
Summary: I LOVED Apex Predators. I am not usually a fan of nonfiction books, however this book was so much fun to read. It compares predators today to predators of the past. When reading this book, students can learn about new animals as well as fun facts about animals that they are already familiar with.

Evaluation; I think that this book is really great for young readers. First, it has a very engaging cover with a T-Rex on it. Most students love dinosaurs, so I think that this would immediatel
Jess
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sitting here, reading new books from school, when I saw this on my stack and sighed as I thought "Steve Jenkins has made a million of these things."

Know why? Because they're awesome. Sometimes I have to read a few pages to remember that. Who doesn't want to know about the giant short faced bear who was 12 feet tall? (Along with the illustrations of each animal is another smaller one in silhouette next to an adult human man so you can gauge the size. This helped me greatly.) Or that current day A
Sandra
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall I really liked it, I'm a sucker for the art and I like how the animals were shown as animals and didn't make them terrifying just because. Also always love the silhouettes to give a good size visual.

Not big on the entry on sharks and listing us a prey. They don't generally intend to eat us, and we really need to understand them rather than scaremonger, given people kill more sharks than sharks kill people. (We also kill more tigers than any other species...)

I think it's interesting he di
Lynn
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I was surprised to see how many other books have the same title but different topics.
Good introduction to the word 'apex' and good size comparison charts.
No table of contents or index, so this book is mostly good for browsing and getting the 'wow' factor. No apparent organization, but does include "Modern Day Predators" and a Face-Off for a pair of water animals and land animals.
Could also serve as a pattern for youngsters to compare two
Linda
Steve Jenkins never disappoints with his amazing illustrations and interesting information. This book includes those deadliest hunters from long ago, of course including T Rex of millions of years ago and the Siberian Tiger of today. How they compare if against each other and how they compare to a human size is shown on each double-page spread. It's a book that will fascinate readers, children to adults.
Colette
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think anything Steve Jenkins does is superb! Love the collage work, the silhouettes add that needed information graphically instead of just saying how large or small an animal is, he gave the best possible solution. The faceoff is great as well as the information everyone must read about the deadliest predator of them all.
Katie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book I had never heard the term "apex predator". It was interesting to learn about apex predators from the past and the present. I also liked that it had a section where they theorized what would happen if these past and present predators met each other. Lots of great information presented in a kid-friendly and appealing manner.
Diane
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Apex predators = creatures too tough, too big, or too well-armed to be hunted by other animals.

Fascinating comparisons between modern day and extinct top predators. The diagrams at the bottom showing the animals' sizes in comparison to humans really put the prehistoric animals in perspective. Students who like nonfiction will really love this one.
Melanie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's put it this way: my 5 year old asked to get his notebook in the midst of bedtime read aloud to write to Steve Jenkins. He said, "This book is so awesome!" He especially loved the end when they imagine today's apex predators up against extinct apex predators. I can see this being a real hit with our readers.
Mary Lee
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction, animals
The thing I loved the most were the illustrations that showed the scale of each animal compared to a human. So many times, that was the part that gave me the most wow -- the bird with a 27 foot wingspan, a modern-day freshwater ray that is 8 feet across, and a one-inch early spider-like animal. There are modern predators, extinct predators, and (kids love these) a few apex predator face-offs.
Kelly
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is maybe a little bit too wordy or detailed for a picture book, but it was a cool book all the same. I can certainly see the appeal to children who are into dinosaurs, or even animals in general. Cool information.
Katie Lawrence
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really fascinating! Steve Jenkins is incredible, I always love his illustrations and his way of writing nonfiction too. I for some reason am most disturbed by the concept of terror birds. The idea of a 10 foot bird that may have weighed as much as a present day lion or tiger freaks me out.
Natasha
One nit-pick is how it lists humans as prey, which is a bit misleading since humans appear to mainly be attacked by sharks mistaking them for other, preferred prey, which contributes to misunderstandings about how many people are attacked and/or killed by sharks each year.
mg
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenkins returns with another beautifully illustrated book. This time, his intent is clearly to scare the bejeezus out of his readers.

Well done, Jenkins. Well done...
Edward Sullivan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A superbly illustrated and informative introduction to top predators of today and yesterday.
Jacqui
Fascinating information.
Michele Knott
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Steve Jenkins. Do not miss the comparison illustration on each page, comparing the predator to a human male.
Megan McCloud
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I would have liked it more with more modern day apex predators, and less talk about the animals killing humans. That just makes people afraid of them.
Eme87
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Steve Jenkins helps to introduce people to new things with beautiful illustrations and interesting facts.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Filled with information in an interesting and easy to read format.

Need to check out more of his books.
Amber
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the size comparisons between a human and the predators portrayed in the book. So glad that the giant short-faced bear is extinct. I'm also never going in the rivers in Southeast Asia.
Kim
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay. If you have a kid who is into this kind of info, it is a great book. It, however, didn't resonate with any of my kids (or me).
Tony Keefer
Nov 29, 2017
Rachel
Feb 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: Apex Predators by Steve Jenkins ~ 4 Stars 1 9 Mar 02, 2018 02:45PM
Steve was born in 1952 in Hickory, North Carolina. His father, who would become a physics professor and astronomer (and recently his co-author on a book about the Solar System), was in the military and, later, working on science degrees at several different universities. We moved often. Steve lived in North Carolina, Panama, Virginia, Kansas, and Colorado. Wherever he lived, he kept a menagerie of ...more