Start by marking “Untenrum frei” as Want to Read:
Untenrum frei

Untenrum frei

War es das jetzt mit der sexuellen Revolution? Sind wir unendlich liberal, weil mit nackten Brüsten für Tierfutter und Baumärkte geworben wird? Mitnichten, sagt Margarete Stokowski. Es gilt auch noch im 21. Jahrhundert, Machtstrukturen aufzusprengen, über Sexualität zu sprechen und über Geschlechterrollen, die wir mit riesigem Aufwand spielen. Die Autorin möchte keine neue ...more
Published September 8th 2016 by Rowohlt, Reinbek

Start your review of Untenrum frei
Selma
May 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS AUTHOR !
Pauline B (Dancing Lawn)
Jan 03, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
TW: suicidal thoughts and self-harm.
Ammar Bat
Very interesting book. It handles the matter of feminism in a modern neutral way! Though the writer has a few not logic arguments, but the most of it is very reasonable.
I would recommend it for people, who don't know much about feminism.
May 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Margarate took me by the hand and down a trip coming-of-age lane. Her tone and voice of reasoning is wonderfully grounded. It's a pleasantly easy written novel following her along as she realises patriarchal structures arounf her and her becoming a feminist. The way she smartly quoted feminist and philosophical theorists also really did it for me, very insightful and has me at least wanting to line up 4 more works she referenced. Rebecca Solnit and Sibylle Berg, I'm coming for you next, haha
I'm
Jun 06, 2022 rated it it was ok
Wanted to check in on the state of German feminism. The writing was entertaining, and it did touch on important topics, but was very much a book for cis/white/ able-bodied middle class women, with an unnecessary dose of kink-shaming on the side.
Michelle
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read.
Prisca Pfammatter
Pissed off and funny, loved it and opened my eyes on many issues
Lisa Rovina
Jan 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
everybody should read this
Rebecca Bauer
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and real, very real. Sometimes things just need to be said.
elena
May 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
feminism 101
Sorina Negrilă
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thing that consistently bothered me in the last 4-5 years, so basically in my early 30s, was that whenever I expressed an opinion that touched on gender issues by context, I was being called "a feminist". When I dared say "I don't think the fact that she married and moved to another country in a joint life decision means she should give up on her career dreams now" - feminist. "I'm somewhat sad my grandparents set a boundary of 2 electricity poles for my bicycle tours, whereas my brother had h ...more
Karin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The young author Stokowski is of Polish descent and studied philosophy and sociology in Berlin. She writes about feminist topics in her columns at various German newspapers (e.g.: http://www.spiegel.de/impressum/autor...). Since it was the first time, I read a book about feminism, "Untenrum frei" was a good introductory piece of work. She made clear to me, what feminism actually means, that is the liberation from discrimination against not only women, but of every group that is discriminated aga ...more
Temperance Brennan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. A great introduction to feminism, and also a very good help to understand what it is to grow up as a woman in Germany when you come from somewhere else. Not so different from France, actually (und leider !)
Clara Egger
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most important book that I have read
Nadine
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By far- the best feminist book in 2018!
Lucie
May 23, 2021 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. And while I did quite enjoy the first few chapters, it felt like the author drifted away from what I expected to be main topic of the book and offered a more or less general overview of feminism. I must admit that I did not really learn anything new, maybe because I’m not part of the targeted audience and already have quite some knowledge about feminism?

Another aspect that continuously bothered me was the feeling of a missing common thread. Yes, sure, it’s all about
Idil
Dec 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sry but this is a German book.
I think this is a very good book on the topic of feminism, and how women have been put under pressure for so long, and that the fight for our rights is long before over. I think Stokowski has a wonderful way of describing her experiences, and linking them with worldwide problems.
The only criticism I would put out is, that it got a little repetitive, but was still quite enjoyable since she tried to use either other personal experiences, or other proven statements.
All
Legens
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is widely based on Stokowski's columns in taz and Spiegel. It shares their strengths - casual but precise language and Stokowski's sharp wit which is based equally on her understanding of normal people's everyday problems and on her wide academic knowledge of philosophy and gender studies. My only criticism is that this kind of writing works better in a series of short texts (as the columns go), so I recommend reading the book in small installments instead of in one sitting. ...more
Sarah Palurovic
Mar 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A painful amount of times did I have to realize that despite me studying the topic of sexism extensively over a long period of time, I am still very much programmed as a female. This book has an unexcited way of pointing that out while being refreshingly honest about what needs to be voiced when it comes to equality relating issues. Must read, since best book to shows anyone that we are nowhere near what equality looks like.

And as Margarete says: “please always stay difficult.”
Emily May
Jun 23, 2022 rated it did not like it
A total chaos of points, that are strong points by themselves but have you sitting there utterly confused about how the hell we got to talking about this. No structure, a few good anecdotes, and an author whose naïvety surprises me after hearing so many friends PRAISE this book. I did not learn much from this read.
Svenja
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of feminist essays with a loose thread. I would have liked each chapters to have a stronger theme. It felt kinda muddled, I was missing a clearer focus. But overall a very fine book about being a feminist in Germany in the 21st century.
Thilo Mischke
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did a lot wrong with women, that’s what I learned from this book.
Betül Koca
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I
Michele
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
good intro to feminism. in some ways actually eye opening
Panama
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amaze-balls
rektalzonenjeff
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book!
Alina
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-buy
I loved this book. A must-read for every teenage girl. Empowering and brutally honest.
Selina
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
quite personal, full of love and anger
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Must read, for every human that lives on this planet.
Jacqueline Boor

• Sie hat Bock
  • Sprache und Sein
  • Eure Heimat ist unser Albtraum
  • Radikale Zärtlichkeit. Warum Liebe politisch ist
  • Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)
  • Komplett Gänsehaut
  • Vom Ende der Einsamkeit
  • exit RACISM: rassismuskritisch denken lernen
  • Alte Sorten
  • Generation Z - Zwischen Selbstverwirklichung, Insta-Einsamkeit und der Hoffnung auf eine bessere Welt.
  • Süss: eine feministische Kritik
  • Bock: Männer und Sex
  • Was man von hier aus sehen kann
  • Spinner
  • Der große Sommer
  • Starkes weiches Herz
  • Das beherrschte Geschlecht: Warum sie will, was er will
See top shelves…
Margarete Stokowski is a Polish-German writer and essayist, best known for her weekly essays for the magazine Spiegel Online, where she writes about the current state of feminism in Germany.

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“Aber Wut ist nicht dasselbe wie Hass. Hass will Zerstörung, Wut will Veränderung. Hass ist Destruktiv, Wut ist Produktiv.” 32 likes
“Es ist weit verbreitet, Frauen als Menschen mit Geschlecht zu betrachten und Männer als Menschen: Chefinnen haben einen «weiblichen Führungsstil», Männer einen eigenen.” 16 likes