Start by marking “The Weekenders” as Want to Read:
The Weekenders

The Weekenders

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  24,637 ratings  ·  2,142 reviews
Length: 15 hrs and 27 mins

Some people stay all summer long on the idyllic island of Belle Isle, North Carolina. Some people come only for the weekends-and it's something they look forward to all week long. When Riley Griggs is waiting for her husband to arrive at the ferry one Friday afternoon, she is instead served with papers informing her that her island home is being
Audiobook, 16 pages
Published May 17th 2016 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2016)

·  24,637 ratings  ·  2,142 reviews

Start your review of The Weekenders
Cyndy
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a tough time deciding what to rate this book. After all, I did finish it, so it wasn't terrible. I just can't justify giving it more than 2 stars, though. I have spoilers later on, so be careful reading too far.

It was advertised in the NYT Book Review, which is where I start with my book reading list, and just happened to be sold at Costco last time I was there. It represented 3 checkmarks on my 30 book reading list I got off the internet for 2016 - a book set in the summer, on the beach
MB (What she read)
6/23/16 Quit at page 176.

I really dislike all of these characters. Nor can I summon much sympathy towards the trials of these unpleasant (formerly) wealthy people. Spoiled much?

And, wow, the daughter is a jerk.

I'm outta here.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Wendell Griggs was big on promises. Always had been. On their first date, hed promised Riley Nolan shed never want to date anybody else. When hed presented her with her engagement ringa three-carat diamond bigger than any of her girlfriends hadhed promised it was the start of a life that would be big and rich and exciting. No doubt about it, her husband was a dreamer. And a schemer.

But lately, Wendells promises meant nothing. Just talk. Hollow words meant to placate or stall. Nothing
Debbie
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Weekenders was received as part of the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.

This book made me sad in so many ways. I had read many of Mary Kay Andrews earlier 'beach reads' and had throughly enjoyed them. Since it had been awhile since I had read one of her books I was excited when I found out I had won an ARC of The Weekenders. The weather was warm and I'd be out of town for a few days - it seemed the perfect time for a fun mindless beach read! Sadly that did not prove to be the case. Instead of
Nicole
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the WORST books I have ever read in my entire life. The main character, Riley, is meant to be a charming, feisty souther belle who triumphs over adversity but instead she is insufferable, spoiled, entitled, one dimensional, and boring. One of the most annoying examples of this is when she complains to a friend about being tired of being a "single mom" while her husband is away working. They are, at the time, ultra wealthy one percenters who live in extreme luxury and never want ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

2016 Best Southern Summer Beach Cover

Head to the North Carolina coast, with Mary Kay Andrews, this spring and summer for a southern mystery, and witty chick lit beach read, THE WEEKENDERS. Combining Mary Kays witty style, and Kathy Hogan Trochecks (Callahan Garrity Series) mystery, intrigue, and suspense, for an unforgettable journey into the secrets of Belle Island. Best Beach Cover of
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: May 17, 2016

:: 5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This is the perfect beach read! Mary Kay Andrews has the unique ability to hook her readers into her stories from the get-go and this is no different with her newest novel, The Weekenders! Having read nearly all of her books, I knew when I saw this one that I had to read it. And I am so glad that I did because I absolutely loved this book. It has quite a bit of drama, mystery, and intrigue, but all of this is mixed together gives you a
kim
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fic, audio, 2016
irritating. longer than it needed to be. unbelievable. not as good as her other books.
Dinnie
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The motivations of the characters made no sense most of the time. The reactions of the main character seemed really unreasonable for someone whose husband died.

And most strange of all was the scene before the storm at the end. There was an impending storm and they sat around the table talking until it was too late? What a convenient plot device that made absolutely no logic.

What a disappointment for a book on the bestseller lists.
Linda D
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm all for a breezy beach read but this book - what was the point? Listen to the top 1% whine? Listen to a horribly behaved 12 year old disrespect her entire family? Watch everyone enable alcoholic Billy? No thank you, not my idea of a good read.
Meredith
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
First, being completely honest, I must state that I am a huge fan of Mary Kay Andrews. I read everything she writes and I feel truly fortunate to have had the opportunity to read and review her newest novel. Now on to the important stuff.

I think "The Weekenders" is the perfect summer read. Why, you ask? First, it's not all fluff. The author handles some tough topics and, second, this book moves slow enough for you to think about it and quickly enough so you don't get bogged down in the tough
Tara Wood
I've read worse, so I guess I should give it two stars. There was so much hype around this book and so many 4 & 5 stars that I gave it a try. Who are these people who read these books and think they're so amazing?! How is this by a best selling author? The writing is so juvenile. Disjointed. Filled will sections that are random filler that don't add anything to the story. The sections that should be important are written so quickly that they left me scratching my head as to why the scene was ...more
Alissa Patrick
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
This book started off with what I call RWPP- Rich White People Problems. I find it hard to achieve sympathy when someone who lives a life of luxury suddenly has a problem and suddenly crumbles under pressure because they have to become one of us regular folk.

It started off okay for me, but the main character, Riley, was extremely unlikable. Her grudge with Nate was beyond stupid (#firstworldproblem) and then halfway through the book she suddenly turns into a flip-flopper with her feelings on
Carrie
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I didn't love this MKA at all. Set on Bell Isle, North Carolina, it's the story of a character named Riley Nolan whose husband, Wendell, has been murdered because he's a terrible person and probably got what he deserved. Along the way of figuring out what to do now that he's dead and has squandered her inheritance, Riley starts a relationship with a man from her past and works to find a new job and life for herself and her daughter.

There are just a lot of implausible plot points in this
Obsidian
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I may have shaken my head a hundred times while reading this book. I just don't even know what to say. The POV changes multiple times (we have the main female character, Riley, her brother, and her love interest from when she was a teenager, Nate, and Riley's best friend whose name eludes me right now).

The flow was tedious and trying to loop a romance in with a mystery ultimately did not work. I think Andrews was going towards a more cozy mystery feel, and there was just too much going on for
Kerry *Pale Daughter*
*2 stars* (Addicts have no objectivity - it probably deserves 1, but hey, I finished it)

This is going to be a strange review, but some of you may have your own guilty pleasure books and can relate to it.

I used to love Mary Kay Andrews books, but lately they have taken a drastic turn for the worse. The dialogue is often mindless drivel and the plots are so predictable that I have difficulty admitting to having read her summer books of the past few years (sorry MKA.) Why do I do this to myself???
Bren
Shes got the face of an angel and the soul of a pit bullpiranha hybrid.
Mary Kay Andrews, The Weekenders

I tried I really did

But I was really really bored. I cant really say a lot about this book because I started to skim and then stopped reading altogether and then started skimming again I really dont like not finishing a book although I do have a list of DNF'S.

But the thing that puzzled me about this book is that its bestseller because I missing something here. It was way too slow moving for
Alyssa Nelson
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Goodreads. This is an honest review.*

This book was a rollercoaster for me in terms of how I felt about it. The beginning starts off a bit shaky and boringthe main character is angry because her soon-to-be-ex-husband hasnt shown up for a weekend trip where theyre going to tell their daughter about their upcoming divorce. Then, a murder happens! It starts to even out in the middle, and I enjoyed finding out all the family secrets and
Chelsey Wolford
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I say this is the perfect read, I mean that you will stay on the beach all day until you have finished reading it! You might find yourself a little burnt once you have finished! I thought that this story had a different spin than what Andrews usually writes, but I was pleasantly surprised when I realized I was reading a mystery and a loveable chick lit novel. Riley Griggs is on her way to the coast of North Carolina when her world starts to fall apart: she runs into her ex-boyfriend, her ...more
Mwrogers
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book, I thought I was really going to like it. It reminded me of a Liane Moriarty novel. But the further along I got, the more I disliked it. I didn't like the characters. They were spoiled, rich brats for the most part. And the more I got to know them, the more they grated on my nerves. The only person I cared about was the AA counselor who was killed and that was like this side story. No one else cared about him. But I'm supposed to care for all these trust fund ...more
Kim
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, net-galley, n, 2016
What a great book to read on holiday- there is a hint of romance and a hint of a mystery. Set on a wonderful island where wed all love to be spending some time this summer.
Riley is waiting for her husband to turn up to their retreat when she receives papers for foreclosure on their property and news that her finances are very precarious.
I love books set in such an idyllic setting as you really lose yourself in the scenery and can imagine yourself there. The characters are all really interesting
Amy
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-is-what-it-is
I was looking for an easy read that I didn't need to invest anything in and could let go of after the last page. A murder mystery that takes place on a fancy island seemed perfect. And while I enjoyed it a bit like you enjoy a made-for-TV movie, it reminded me why I don't normally read these types of books.

Details, pacing and eventually all common sense fall by the wayside in favor of a smooth path to a fairytale ending. Unfortunately, the story was not amusing enough for me to overlook this.

Jennifer Henry
Didn't believe the story or the characters. A disappointment.
DJ Sakata
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes:

Women greeted each other with that peculiar high pitched Southern squeal of delight. 'Heeeeyyy!' What did Wendell call it? Oh yes. The mating call of the ivory-breasted Tri-Delt."

"There's a woman who does divorce law whom I like a lot... Susan, something. I can't remember her last name. She's got the face of an angel and the soul of a pit bull-piranha hybrid... You want a divorce lawyer who'll make the other side's testicles shrink just at the mention of her name."

"I am that
Yvonne
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riley Griggs and her daughter Maggy are on the ferry to Belle Isle as they usually are each summer, but this time Rileys husband is a no show. She and her daughter are worried until a process server gives her papers from her husband. Hes nowhere to be found.

She never expected to be thrown into the middle of a summer mystery, but thats exactly what happens to Riley. Her daughter is dealing with being diagnosed as having Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes while her husband is still missing. To top it all
Claire A
A mystery with the absolute last person Id suspect as the killer. Light hearted & poignant at the same time, although I seriously would have slapped that bratty kid the first time around. If I ever talked to my mother like thatgrief or no grief, she would have skinned my hide. It was a little long in places but I enjoyed it overall. Good characters with plenty of development and family background to explain why they are the way the are.

In a backhanded way, almost a feminist story in the see
JanB
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway.
Part chick-lit and part mystery this is the perfect book to toss in your beach bag this summer. Riley and her daughter Maggy arrive on the island of Belle Isle in North Carolina to spend a relaxing summer with friends and family only to find her husband missing and their home in foreclosure. The next day a body washes ashore, and their plans for a fun summer at the beach disappears.

Filled with an eclectic cast of characters there's humor, family
Cindy
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that good but not that bad. Definitely a beach read filled with southern charm, family drama, murder and humor. AND an awful, just awful, bratty 12 year old girl that I just wanted to shake every time she opened her mouth and talked nasty to her mother! Ticked me off that she got away with it! Good thing I wasn't her mother! If you are a MKA fan you will most likely enjoy this book.
Charlotte
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bottom line - even though Mary Kay Andrews covered some hard hitting topics in her new book, The Weekenders, it is still a wonderful book to throw into your beach bag this summer.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #32 The Weekenders 1 9 Jun 26, 2016 09:42AM

• Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Summer of '69
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Here's to Us
  • The Rumor
  • The Perfect Couple
  • All Summer Long
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • The Identicals
  • The Matchmaker
Mary Kay Andrews is the pen name of American writer Kathy Hogan Trocheck, based in Atlanta, who has authored a number of best-selling books under the Andrews pen name since 2002.

Trochek graduated from the University of Georgia with a journalism degree in 1976. She worked as a reporter at a number of papers, and spent 11 years as a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before leaving to

Articles featuring this book

Authors tend to be very well-read people. To help you find some excellent summer reads, we rounded up authors from across ...
“You couldn’t hit the ball with a steam iron today,” 0 likes
“I can’t wrangle bees. I’m terrified of stinging insects. Literally. I break out in hives.” “Hives! That’s adorbs, right?” 0 likes