Start by marking “The Purloined Poodle (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
The Purloined Poodle (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8.5)

The Purloined Poodle (Oberon’s Meaty Mysteries #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  3,315 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
Thanks to his relationship with the ancient Druid Atticus O’Sullivan, Oberon the Irish wolfhound knows trouble when he smells it—and furthermore, he knows he can handle it.

When he discovers that a prizewinning poodle has been abducted in Eugene, Oregon, he learns that it’s part of a rash of hound abductions all over the Pacific Northwest. Since the police aren’t too worrie
Published September 30th 2016 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Purloined Poodle, please sign up.
Nicole I would guess that you could still enjoy the story, but you may have some confusion about the mechanics of the way druidic magic works. All of that is…moreI would guess that you could still enjoy the story, but you may have some confusion about the mechanics of the way druidic magic works. All of that is explained pretty well in the first book. If you read this without the rest of the series, you will definitely get some minor spoilers for the main books, but nothing too critical. The good thing is that this is all told from the dog's point of view, so the reader isn't expected to understand everything that the druid does.(less)
Sandra You're lucky, with the exchange rate its $6.70 for me. So not happening which is a shame, cause it sounds fun.

Patrick
I have a real fondness for books told from interesting points of view, especially those in established worlds I've come to know.

This book is from the point of view of the main character's dog. (Which isn't as odd as it might sound, if you haven't read the books.)

It's an interesting angle to see these events through, and adds something to the story. But what was *really* interesting to me was the audio narration. The whole book was done in the dog's (literal) voice. Even the "he said" and "she sa
Bradley
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella was a pleasant Little trip to Portland, full of murder, intrigue, and lost doggies... But particular to this series, we don't really care much about when people die. It's really all about the dogs.

You know those traditional mystery novels where the main character's girlfriend enters into the picture and begs the MC to help with that personal project that becomes one nightmare after another? Well scrap the girlfriend. The MC is the dog and he's enjoining his Druid meat-provider, read
Steven
So Iron Druid hasn't entirely been my top favorite UF series. The first two entries were totally amazeballs, but after that, they've teetered close into the "meh" category. I feel like Kevin Hearne's split focus and working on his epic fantasy kinda left Iron Druid out in the cold on putting quality time into it.

All that being said, this little nugget was highly entertaining... mostly because, well, Oberon is the bee's knees. Seriously, he's probably the best part about the entire series.
Let's e
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/11/13/...

What a fun little book! Not to be missed by fans of Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles, but even if you don’t follow the series, it might be worth taking a look. When this novella landed in my lap, I briefly debated whether or not I should read it, since I am woefully behind on the main series and I know a lot has happened to the characters since I last visited this world. I worried that I would get too confused or lost.

Well
Lyn
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oberon and Atticus visit the set of the 2000 Christopher Guest film Best in Show.

A friend of mine and I were talking and I told him that I was a complete and shameless Kevin Hearne junkie, reading all of his Iron Druid works like a fat boy gobbling little chocolate doughnuts. He asked, “Isn’t that the fun urban fantasy series with the Irish druid and the dog has all the best lines?”

Yep, that’s it!

Fans of the series have no doubt enjoyed Hearne’s expansion of the narrative storyline to include Gr
♥Rachel♥
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Atticus' hilarious hound, Oberon, narrates this latest adventure and it was a load of fun! Oberon's observations never fail to make me laugh. It this installment we have a case where prize winning hounds have been doggie-napped and Oberon is determined (with Atticus at his side, of course) to get these "purloined" pets back to their respective owners. I was immediately sucked into the investigation!

I received a review copy, but I can never resist the audio version of this series so I bought a co
Richard Derus
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindled
Rating: 3* of five

If you already like the Iron Druid series and have read them all, this will make a pleasant diversion from the tedium of waiting for more. It's nice to have a little more perspective on some magical elements of the series universe. Oberon's a hoot. But, like The Lone Gunmen spinoff of The X-Files in the 1990s, it's not likely to make fans out of newbs or win fallen-away fans back.

I got the eARC from NetGalley ages and ages ago and finally finished the read after more than a yea
Kristie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book and a quick read. It is written from Oberon’s POV, therefor there is a lot of talk about food and smelling other dogs butts and other doggie things. Potty humor aside, I love the way he talks / thinks:

“I mean, it’s a bonafide, certified fact that I am hashtag-blessed in the fighting department.”

When discussing an interview Atticus had with a man, Oberon’s thoughts went something like this:

“I just heard him ask Atticus, “Can I help you?” in a sort of tight, muted English acce
Cyndi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story using Oberon's voice and it's adorkable! Adorable yet dorky. Lol. Atticus' dog is determined to rescue a kidnapped poodle. Gotta love a dog who knows when to add a Dr. Who reference.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admit that when I picked up this book I had mixed feelings and expectations.

On the one hand, it’s Kevin Hearne (who we love in unreserved fanpoodling glee). And it was a book about Oberon, who we definitely love. So what’s not to like…

…well, animal companions can be fun and cute and Oberon definitely adds something awesome to the Iron Druid Series… but a whole book around the cute interlude? Yeah that can get… annoying. Also, when it comes to short stories, I do wonder what the point is of man
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
sherdog howls that's what it is.
☕ Kimberly
When a prize-winning poodle is abducted in Eugene, Oregon, Oberon learns that it’s part of a rash of hound abductions all over the Pacific Northwest. He decides they need to investigate. For justice and for gravy! They soon begin interviewing owners for clues and end up at the home of a Boston terrier named Starbuck whom Oberon recruits to help him.

Police detectives, wibbly wobbly timey-wimey timelines, and squirrels interfere with the investigation but soon they are hot on the case. The interac
Tammy
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
If you like mysteries with sentient talking dogs then you'll like this. I don't think I'll revisit this series, but it was amusing.

[I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.]
Melissa
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, own
Great fun adventure and wonderful distraction in this short story set in the Iron Druid world! How can you go wrong with an Irish Wolfhound (Oberon) playing Sherlock?
Kitvaria Sarene
Really fun story - Oberon and Atticus trying themselves as private detectives, as dogs get kidnapped...
The story is told from Oberons POV - which was great, but at times also a bit too much for my taste... I do love Oberon - but as adorable as he is, having him comment on everything and anything does get a tiny bit tedious at times. ;)
Otherwise it was great entertainment, and I definitely enjoyed getting to see more of those two! Oh how I miss them...
Joel
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, though having this much Oberon really pointed out how odd it was for him to be telling a story where he's simple-minded and wants to chase squirrels, then goes into storytelling prose to describe the scenery and weird details that a dog wouldn't mention. I understand the need for storytelling, but it really pulls me out. That said, it was fun, I enjoyed it.
Nichole
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kevin Hearne delivers as usual! While at the park, Atticus and Oberon discover that some show dogs have been stolen in the area. They decide to track down the perpetrators. As always, lots of humor and a great story! I love anything that has anything to do with this series!! I received a copy of this book from Net Galley.
Timothy Boyd
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy theses between novel novellas in the Iron Druid Chronicles series. While they are not necessary to understanding and enjoying the main story line they add very nice fill in points to the character's background and have some interesting fill in info for the plot line. Very recommended
Burgoo
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's banter and silliness with a light mystery as plot. What's not to love?

Kat  Hooper
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕
When I first started reading this series, I really liked it. After the last couple of books I pretty much stopped caring.

However, I love Oberon and he is honestly my favorite character in all of the books. If it wasn’t for him, I would have probably stopped reading/listening to these books after the third one.

And now, Oberon is starting to get his own short story books and from what I understand, they’ll be continuing even though the main series is now finished (no spoilers because I haven’t r
Kenny Bellew
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This short-story audiobook combines the lovable canine characters of this series into a dognapping caper. My wife points out that I've read several books about dogs lately (Watchers by Koonz, and Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein). What I meant to say was that this audiobook combines the excellent voice acting talent of Luke Daniels and the writing of Kevin Kearne to produce a whodunnit, The Purloined Poodle, from the view of a druid's dog.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
The Purloined Poodle is a delightfully entertaining tale shared from the point of view of series regular, Oberon. Yes… Oberon the Irish wolfhound. As readers of the Iron Druid Chronicles know, Oberon has gained the ability to think and understand with humanlike intelligence thanks to his human, Druid Atticus O’Sullivan. When Oberon and Atticus discover that someone has been dognapping prized hounds in the Pacific Northwest, Oberon compels Atticus that it is their responsibility to save the hound ...more
Hilary
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun, light mystery featuring Oberon (and Atticus, of course). Oberon obviously watches too much of the right sort of TV (spot the cultural references) but ultimately, of course, they must track down the missing Grand Champion Poodle. And Oberon is the star of the show.

Think cozy mystery meets Iron Druid, but with a canine protagonist, and you won't be far wrong. Expect the usual puns, conversations, meat- and dog-focus. You don't have to have read all the Iron Druid books for this, but there m
Dawn
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quirky little mystery that was fun to read. A very simple story with the novelty of reading it from the point of view of the dog who has a very shaky grasp of time and an obsession with sausages and gravy.
Steph
(*signed @ 2016 NOLA StoryCon)
Suzanne
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, urban-fantasy
I love getting to focus on Oberon, who is my favorite character in the druid series. This was an enjoyable little story.
Lee Ann
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gotta' love a book from a dog's perspective...even more so if it's Oberon's POV. A cute dog-napping mystery with Atticus and Oberon leading the way to solve the case of the Purloined Poodle.
Thalia
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oberon is the new Sherlock! Many sausages to you!
Anya
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite fun! There were times it didn't seem like it was Oberon narrating, but mostly that was done well. Fun mystery without too big of spoilers for the main series.
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as two forthcoming series: The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and Tales of Pell, a fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. Books 1-8 of the Iron Druid Chronicles are out now; BESIEGED, a collection of new Iron Druid stories, will be out July 11; A PLAGUE OF GIANTS, the first book of The Seven Kennings, w ...more
More about Kevin Hearne

Oberon’s Meaty Mysteries (2 books)
  • The Squirrel on the Train (Oberon’s Meaty Mysteries, #2)