Start by marking “By Your Side” as Want to Read:
By Your Side

By Your Side

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  24,726 Ratings  ·  4,164 Reviews
An irresistible story from Kasie West that explores the timeless question: What do you do when you fall for the person you least expect?

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn't think things could get any worse. But that's before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her.

Autumn doesn't know much about D
Published January 31st 2017 by HarperTeen

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,079 books — 7,335 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestHistory Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
2017 YA contemporary
203 books — 568 voters

More lists with this book...

C.G. Drews
Well, I'm an unhappy melon of slightly disgruntled discontent. Which greatly pains me because I loved The Distance Between Us and kind of lowkey am shocked they're by the same author. There were just so many problems with this book that omg where do I even start?? WITH LISTS OBVIOUSLY.

MY SMALL LIST OF LIKES:
• It contains milkshakes. I like milkshakes.
• As much as the tragic-bad-boy had no real personality...HE WAS STILL KIND OF CUTE.
• It was light and fluffy which, ya know, isn't always a bad th
Melanie
Jul 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
A girl and a guy accidentally locked in a library? THE BOOKISH GODS HAVE FINALLY GRANTED OUR WISH. But 2017??? *sobs*

Lola
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
My favourite Kasie West book to date.

‘‘By Your Side’’ is a little different from her other YA contemporary romances. Yes, the narrator has a similar voice and, yes, there is a love-triangle (although mild) and, yes, friendship is an important theme.

BUT. The other themes that are explored are deeper ones, such as child neglect, loneliness and trust. Also, the main character suffers from anxiety attacks and the love interest is more broken than the ones in her other books.

Maybe this is why I liked
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
*ARC received from Indigo Books and Music for review, thank you to them!*

I loved this! I identified so strongly with the protagonist and found the whole story to be more than just your typical romance.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Edit 25/08 : Great come-back of the HEADLESS COUPLE on Kasie West's covers! I just decided that it was a SIGN and that P.S. I Like You (that I didn't like that much) was only a mistake because you know,

And as you know,
Superstition and generalization = True fact that I can spam endlessly because I just know it

Isn't it how our world works lately?!

**You might notice that I didn't include The Fill-In Boyfriend. Yes, it's on purpose. It didn't suit my superstition, SO.
___________________________

S
Kassidy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really really like Kasie West's writing. It's easy and quick to read, but doesn't feel just like fluff/brain candy. There's a depth and theme/lesson to her stories, which I appreciate. Dax and Autumn have a strong chemistry, and I enjoyed how Dax helped Autumn accept herself.
I wish the ending wasn't as rushed. The whole book is building up to the romance, which is good, I liked the tension that resulted. It kept me reading. However, I felt everything just wrapped up in a few pages and I just
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“ I was not one of those girls who needed to fix broken boys.”

This was a really satisfying book. The female MC was smart, acted reasonably, even though she was technically ‘popular’ in school, she didn’t let it get to her head and so she wasn’t mean or stuck up or oblivious to the ppl around her. It was refreshing actually.

Now, Dax. He was quiet and reserved but caring and sweet... despite all the rumors about him at school. This book was emotional for me at times and that was the deciding fact
Riley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was adorable. I was expecting a fun fluffy romance, which this delivered, but it also largely featured discussions around anxiety and self care. The romance was so cute. The quickest way to get me to ship two characters is to trap them in a library together.
Tran Thanh Tu
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damnnnnn... In my humble opinion, Kasie West is truly the queen of YA contemporary! ♡ I mean, can we talk about how lovely and swoon-able her books are?? ☆〜(ゝ。∂)

"By your side" is probably a reader's biggest dream! ☁ Umm hello? Being trapped inside a large library with a hot cutie, why haven't you melted yet?? Okay there's not much food and drink, which sucks, but apart from it, the situation is brilliant :P (to fall head over heels, if you know what I mean *winks*)

description

Alright let's be serious, this
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Kasie West + a girl + a boy + a library. I'm pretty sure someone's trying to push me to build a time machine to get to 2017 already!
emma
Mar 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh my God. I read this a mere few months ago, and I don’t remember ANYTHING about it. (Yeah, remember when I dropped that pre-review in MARCH? I'm killing it.) But, like, I seriously remember n-o-t-h-i-n-g. I know there was a library. That was approximately 25% of the synopsis, which wasn’t even accurate. Goddamn. This lack of recollection - not exactly a good sign, no?

Okay. Okay okay okay. I just reread the synopsis and the one sentence of this review I wrote when I actually, you know, read it,
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kasie West just does ya contemporary romance so well.
Jaime Arkin
You know who’s my favorite? Kasie West.

You should probably already know this about me, but I’m just reminding you.

Kasie West consistently delivers sweet, fun, swoon-worthy stories. She manages to tell a story that touches on serious, relatable topics without making it the sole thing that the story is about.

In By Your Side, Autumn finds herself locked in the library… no way to get out and unable to contact anyone. Then she realizes she’s not alone… Dax Miller is in the library too, only it look
Whitney Atkinson
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
2.5 Stars

I'm not a huge fan of YA contemporary anymore-- i've found lately that I feel like i'm reading the same book over and over-- but i'm reading a really dark book at the moment and needed something light as a reprieve from it. I'd gotten this in a book box a couple of months back and decided now was the perfect time to try it out!

The premise really intrigued me and I knew it would go by quickly, so I dove into this. I was right, I finished it in two days. What I wasn't expecting is it had
Christy
3.5 stars!

photo IMG_1988_zpsrq0r0ycj.png

By Your Side is the second book I've read by Kasie West, and although I didn't love it quite as much as the first, it was still an enjoyable read.

Our story starts with Autumn, a teenage girl who is supposed to be going to a cabin with her friends for the weekend, but somehow manages to get herself locked inside a library for the weekend. For a lot of us, this would be a dream come true, but Autumn
Stacee
Kasie West is an auto-buy for me, so I downloaded this book after screaming when I saw it. I went in only knowing that the MCs were locked in a library.

I love love loved Autumn and Dax. They're so different and so similar and I loved reading them together. I also really loved Autumn's family. It's so rare to see present and positive parents. I love that they were open and listened to her. And the banter between Autumn and her brother Owen was some of the best.

This was a lot angstier than other K
Norah Una Sumner
YES QUEEN, GIMME SOME CUTE LIBRARY ROMANCE.

Simona Bartolotta
“Figure out what you think. Figure out what you want.”

•Okay, so you probably remember how much I enjoyed The Fill-In Boyfriend, do you? If you do, you can easily guess how excited how was for By Your Side, even because the premise sounded like the supreme dream of every avid reader: being locked in a library for a whole weekend. I mean, was I really supposed to resist to that? Sadly, it didn't turn out as good as I expected and hoped.

The characters felt really flat, especially the supporting on
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Ahhh I really don't want to write this review. I mean, seriously, who wants to write a negative review about one of their favorite writers, one of those authors who never ceases to make you happy and put a smile on your face. Well, sometimes its necessary-especially when this is one out of three of your top anticipated releases for 2017. And, might I mention, two so far have been absolute TURDS. Alas, Kasie West was no exception.

I can't quite put my finger on why this book was so drab, so dull,
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: January 31, 2017

Ehh I feel like 2.5 stars is pretty generous. I LOVE Kasie West's other books, but this one was pretty... empty? Like the characters were all shallow and the plot was pretty basic.

Autumn and Dax are locked in a library over a long weekend (but could have been literally anywhere because they didn't care about the books. They watched tv and ate candy bars). The first 40% of the book is them establishing that Autumn is rich & has lots of friends, while Dax is a cl
Alyssa
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

By Your Side by Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 31, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

In this irresistible story, Kasie West explores the timeless question of what to do when you fall for the person you least expect. Witty and romantic, this paperback original from a fan favorite is perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson.

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentall
Maureen
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an overall good read for me! I like the characters, though I could've used more development on everyone and anyone beyond the main character.
This book also features a main character with anxiety disorder and a love interest who is in foster care. I don't have anxiety disorder or anything close to it, but I read a few reviews that said it didn't totally ring true. It isn't #ownvoices, which was one of the reasons I looked into other reviews, but it may just be an experience thing. One th
may ❀

Kasie West had been one of my favourite contemporary authors since forever! But lately something has changed.

I don’t know if it’s her writing style that has changed or if it’s simply that I have ‘outgrown’ her books, but lately they’re missing the mark for me. ;-;

description

My problems with this book:

- confused why they’re bored and resorted to watching TV WHILE THEY’RE LITERALLY LOCKED IN A LIBRARY

- LOVE TRIANGLE

- The MC, this Autumn girl was so immature

- Dax is a wannabe bad boy, not fooling me

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
I found the first part to be wholly unrealistic. Being stuck in the library and not being able to contact anyone? Isn't there a phone, a landline one? I mean I couldn't stop thinking about the ways they could have escaped, but I guess they both needed it. To be free for a while. I liked their banter, and sometimes their chemistry was cute. I liked that the main character Autumn focused on her anxiety, but I wished she realized she had the power all on her own. I was also bored so I sped read the ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Any Kasie West book is hard to resist but throw in the setting and plot line for her latest, and for any book lover, it is downright impossible to say no to, which is why I didn't even think twice about getting it. West is an autobuy author for me, always has been and will continue to be so. Her latest book just reinforced for me why that statement is true.

I was expecting a fun light read filled with a heart stopping romance, with lovable, adorable characters and once again, West delivered. But

“Who else would be dumb enough to get trapped in a library?”

This was a YA contemporary romance, featuring a couple trapped in a library.

I liked Autumn in this, and I could totally relate to her anxiety disorder and the panic attacks that she suffered from. Dax was also really cute.

The storyline in this was about Autumn and Dax getting trapped in a library together for a weekend, and slowly getting to kn
Rachel Reads Ravenously

Kasie West is one of those authors who I will read anything she writes. I preordered this book and found time to read it. I enjoyed this story, but she's given us better. I do think lots of teens will relate to the characters in this book, the MC with her anxiety disorder, and the love interest in foster care. But I felt she could have gone a bit deeper, everything felt very surface level when dealing with issues. Like a teen afternoon special on TV.

I have to get one thing off my ches
Heather 'Bookables'
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Overall I liked this book. I will admit that this is not my favorite Kasie West book. I really enjoyed our main character Autumn and the romance was cute but the plot wasn't my favorite.
Would recommend it, it is a cute book but not my favorite contemporary read.
abby
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
To clarify something: this is not a bookish romance. I know a lot of people got excited by the "trapped in the library" teaser, but that setting is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the story. There's no indication the main character, Autumn, even reads. Dax, the cute, mysterious boy stuck in the library with her, does read... his own books. He brought his own books to the library.

This book is about what you'd expect from a Kasie West book. It's a super clean YA contemporary romance with a happy
YA Buddy Readers'...: By Your Side by Kasie West - Restarting August 25th 2018 77 139 Aug 25, 2018 01:12PM
Addicted to YA: By Your Side 19 95 Mar 10, 2018 12:50PM
Uppercase YA Subs...: By Your Side by Kasie West 1 3 Jan 20, 2018 05:50PM
Booktastic Bookah...: July 2017-By Your Side by Kasie West 3 5 Jul 13, 2017 04:43AM
  • Alex, Approximately
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • The Secret Science of Magic
  • Bad Romance
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • Memento Mori
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, PS I LIKE YOU, and BY YOUR SIDE. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
“Possibilities are exciting and endless. Realities are final” 55 likes
“Books, bringing people together.' That would make a good slogan for the library.” 36 likes