Start by marking “By Your Side” as Want to Read:
By Your Side

By Your Side

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  41,856 ratings  ·  6,017 reviews
An irresistible story from Kasie West that explores the timeless question: What do you do when you fall for the person you least expect?

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn't think things could get any worse. But that's before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her.

Autumn doesn't know much about D
Published January 31st 2017 by HarperTeen

·  41,856 ratings  ·  6,017 reviews

Start your review of By Your Side
C.G. Drews
Well, I'm an unhappy melon of slightly disgruntled discontent. Which greatly pains me because I loved The Distance Between Us and kind of lowkey am shocked they're by the same author. There were just so many problems with this book that omg where do I even start?? WITH LISTS OBVIOUSLY.

MY SMALL LIST OF LIKES:
• It contains milkshakes. I like milkshakes.
• As much as the tragic-bad-boy had no real personality...HE WAS STILL KIND OF CUTE.
• It was light and fluffy which, ya know, isn't always a bad th
Melanie
Jul 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
A girl and a guy accidentally locked in a library? THE BOOKISH GODS HAVE FINALLY GRANTED OUR WISH. But 2017??? *sobs*

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
*ARC received from Indigo Books and Music for review, thank you to them!*

I loved this! I identified so strongly with the protagonist and found the whole story to be more than just your typical romance.
jessica
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
the whole 'trapped in a library with a brooding bad boy' plotline speaks to me on a spiritual level. sigh. a girl can dream and this book is inspiring all of my fantasies.

4 stars
Kassidy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really really like Kasie West's writing. It's easy and quick to read, but doesn't feel just like fluff/brain candy. There's a depth and theme/lesson to her stories, which I appreciate. Dax and Autumn have a strong chemistry, and I enjoyed how Dax helped Autumn accept herself.
I wish the ending wasn't as rushed. The whole book is building up to the romance, which is good, I liked the tension that resulted. It kept me reading. However, I felt everything just wrapped up in a few pages and I just
Riley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was adorable. I was expecting a fun fluffy romance, which this delivered, but it also largely featured discussions around anxiety and self care. The romance was so cute. The quickest way to get me to ship two characters is to trap them in a library together.
Katie ♡
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damnnnnn... In my humble opinion, Kasie West is truly the queen of YA contemporary! ♡ I mean, can we talk about how lovely and swoon-able her books are?? ☆〜(ゝ。∂)

"By your side" is probably a reader's biggest dream! ☁︎ Umm hello? Being trapped inside a large library with a hot cutie, why haven't you melted yet?? Okay there's not much food and drink, which sucks, but apart from it, the situation is brilliant :P (to fall head over heels, if you know what I mean *winks*)

description

Alright let's be serious, this
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Kasie West just does ya contemporary romance so well.
emma
Oh my God. I read this a mere few months ago, and I don’t remember ANYTHING about it. (Yeah, remember when I dropped that pre-review in MARCH? I'm killing it.) But, like, I seriously remember n-o-t-h-i-n-g. I know there was a library. That was approximately 25% of the synopsis, which wasn’t even accurate. Goddamn. This lack of recollection - not exactly a good sign, no?

Okay. Okay okay okay. I just reread the synopsis and the one sentence of this review I wrote when I actually, you know, read it,
Luffy
Once I tried to write something. I wrote two chapters. Sent them to a dear friend, expecting any sort of feedback. But I knew from her silence that what I'd written was abysmal. This book was almost as bad as my efforts at writing. ...more
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Kasie West + a girl + a boy + a library. I'm pretty sure someone's trying to push me to build a time machine to get to 2017 already! ...more
Jaime Arkin
You know who’s my favorite? Kasie West.

You should probably already know this about me, but I’m just reminding you.

Kasie West consistently delivers sweet, fun, swoon-worthy stories. She manages to tell a story that touches on serious, relatable topics without making it the sole thing that the story is about.

In By Your Side, Autumn finds herself locked in the library… no way to get out and unable to contact anyone. Then she realizes she’s not alone… Dax Miller is in the library too, only it look
Whitney Atkinson
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
2.5 Stars

I'm not a huge fan of YA contemporary anymore-- i've found lately that I feel like i'm reading the same book over and over-- but i'm reading a really dark book at the moment and needed something light as a reprieve from it. I'd gotten this in a book box a couple of months back and decided now was the perfect time to try it out!

The premise really intrigued me and I knew it would go by quickly, so I dove into this. I was right, I finished it in two days. What I wasn't expecting is it had
Norah Una Sumner
YES QUEEN, GIMME SOME CUTE LIBRARY ROMANCE.

Stacee
Kasie West is an auto-buy for me, so I downloaded this book after screaming when I saw it. I went in only knowing that the MCs were locked in a library.

I love love loved Autumn and Dax. They're so different and so similar and I loved reading them together. I also really loved Autumn's family. It's so rare to see present and positive parents. I love that they were open and listened to her. And the banter between Autumn and her brother Owen was some of the best.

This was a lot angstier than other K
Simona B
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
*shrugs*
Irena BookDustMagic
If you know me, you know Kasie West is my contemporary queen.
I simply adore her books, and I always feature them in my WoW posts, because I am always eagerly anticipating her new releases.

Since I loved every single book she wrote, I don’t think I have to underline that my expectations for By Your Side were high as Empire State Building (and yes, I am copying that group/band Fun here).

I could blame my level of expectations for the fact that this was my least favorite book written by Kasie West I
Alyssa
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

By Your Side by Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 31, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

In this irresistible story, Kasie West explores the timeless question of what to do when you fall for the person you least expect. Witty and romantic, this paperback original from a fan favorite is perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson.

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentall
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Ahhh I really don't want to write this review. I mean, seriously, who wants to write a negative review about one of their favorite writers, one of those authors who never ceases to make you happy and put a smile on your face. Well, sometimes its necessary-especially when this is one out of three of your top anticipated releases for 2017. And, might I mention, two so far have been absolute TURDS. Alas, Kasie West was no exception.

I can't quite put my finger on why this book was so drab, so dull,
Maureen
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an overall good read for me! I like the characters, though I could've used more development on everyone and anyone beyond the main character.
This book also features a main character with anxiety disorder and a love interest who is in foster care. I don't have anxiety disorder or anything close to it, but I read a few reviews that said it didn't totally ring true. It isn't #ownvoices, which was one of the reasons I looked into other reviews, but it may just be an experience thing. One th
♛ may

Kasie West had been one of my favourite contemporary authors since forever! But lately something has changed.

I don’t know if it’s her writing style that has changed or if it’s simply that I have ‘outgrown’ her books, but lately they’re missing the mark for me. ;-;

description

My problems with this book:

- confused why they’re bored and resorted to watching TV WHILE THEY’RE LITERALLY LOCKED IN A LIBRARY

- LOVE TRIANGLE

- The MC, this Autumn girl was so immature

- Dax is a wannabe bad boy, not fooling me

Giselle
I found the first part to be wholly unrealistic. Being stuck in the library and not being able to contact anyone? Isn't there a phone, a landline one? I mean I couldn't stop thinking about the ways they could have escaped, but I guess they both needed it. To be free for a while. I liked their banter, and sometimes their chemistry was cute. I liked that the main character Autumn focused on her anxiety, but I wished she realized she had the power all on her own. I was also bored so I sped read the ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Any Kasie West book is hard to resist but throw in the setting and plot line for her latest, and for any book lover, it is downright impossible to say no to, which is why I didn't even think twice about getting it. West is an autobuy author for me, always has been and will continue to be so. Her latest book just reinforced for me why that statement is true.

I was expecting a fun light read filled with a heart stopping romance, with lovable, adorable characters and once again, West delivered. But
Sarah Elizabeth

“Who else would be dumb enough to get trapped in a library?”

This was a YA contemporary romance, featuring a couple trapped in a library.

I liked Autumn in this, and I could totally relate to her anxiety disorder and the panic attacks that she suffered from. Dax was also really cute.

The storyline in this was about Autumn and Dax getting trapped in a library together for a weekend, and slowly getti
Rachel Reads Ravenously

Kasie West is one of those authors who I will read anything she writes. I preordered this book and found time to read it. I enjoyed this story, but she's given us better. I do think lots of teens will relate to the characters in this book, the MC with her anxiety disorder, and the love interest in foster care. But I felt she could have gone a bit deeper, everything felt very surface level when dealing with issues. Like a teen afternoon special on TV.

I have to get one thing off my ches
Heather
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Overall I liked this book. I will admit that this is not my favorite Kasie West book. I really enjoyed our main character Autumn and the romance was cute but the plot wasn't my favorite.
Would recommend it, it is a cute book but not my favorite contemporary read.
abby
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
To clarify something: this is not a bookish romance. I know a lot of people got excited by the "trapped in the library" teaser, but that setting is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the story. There's no indication the main character, Autumn, even reads. Dax, the cute, mysterious boy stuck in the library with her, does read... his own books. He brought his own books to the library.

This book is about what you'd expect from a Kasie West book. It's a super clean YA contemporary romance with a happy
ambsreads
DNF @ 8%

I have never physically cringed while reading a book, By Your Side has changed that. I can't. I can't do it. The whole book can up to this can be used under the roast so I'm not going to do one.

The main character is meant to be a senior in high school but so far she's reading like an 8 year old and I can't put up with that for another 92% of a book.
Wretched
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
i am a 20 yr old man w h y d i d i r e a d t h i s
Rebekah
Kasie west, you're the best! Ha! I rhymed!

Kasie West is seriously an auto-buy for me. I seriously am impressed by this author. I’ve read all but TWO of her books and I’ve given them ALL 4 or 5 stars. I’ve yet to be disappointed by her books, stories, or writing style. I just love them all! Which makes me nervous each time I pick up one of her books now…. let’s not focus on THAT, shall we!

In this story, we find ourselves with our main character Autumn, who finds herself locked in the library with
YA Buddy Readers'...: By Your Side by Kasie West - Restarting May 17th 2021 112 210 Jun 15, 2021 05:11AM
how do u feel about dax 4 40 Jan 08, 2021 08:10PM
Teen Romance 6 31 Apr 26, 2020 03:08PM
By Your Side 1 7 Feb 08, 2020 09:15AM

• Alex, Approximately
  • The Upside of Falling
  • My Life Next Door
  • Shuffle, Repeat
  • Until Friday Night (The Field Party, #1)
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Starry Eyes
  • My Life with the Walter Boys (My Life with the Walter Boys #1)
  • Wanderlost
  • Catching Jordan
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • Adorkable
  • Paper Hearts (The Heartbreaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Tell Me Three Things
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • Second Chance Summer
  • Challenge Accepted
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, PS I LIKE YOU, BY YOUR SIDE, LUCKY IN LOVE, LOVE LIFE and the LIST, LISTEN TO YOUR HEART, FAME FATE and the FIRST KISS, MAYBE THIS TIME, and MOMENT OF TRUTH. My agent is t ...more