Start by marking “The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2)

The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  6,651 Ratings  ·  1,104 Reviews
Watson and Holmes: A match made in disaster.

Jamie Watson and Charlotte Holmes are looking for a winter-break reprieve after a fall semester that almost got them killed. But Charlotte isn’t the only Holmes with secrets, and the mood at her family’s Sussex estate is palpably tense. On top of everything else, Holmes and Watson could be becoming more than friends—but still, th
Published February 14th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last of August, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenae
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emma Giordano
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I did not love the sequel to A Study In Charlotte as much as book one. Truthfully, I don’t have many significant critiques, I just didn’t enjoy it as much!

CW: talk of substance abuse and rape, ptsd

I did enjoy the setting of the novel. The story ranges from England to Berlin and as Berlin is rarely a location featured in young adult novels, it was a breath of fresh air!

I was very frustrated by the dynamic between Jamie and Charlotte in the second installment. I adored their relatio
Obsidian
Spoilers for those who didn't read book #1. I suggest you read that first prior to reading this book.

I am so annoyed. Since I gave book #1 three stars, I hoped for another three star read or higher this time. But due to the lack of any mysteries to solve and just more teen angst and a love triangle that only one person was interested in (Jamie) I was over this book before the end.

I haven't read all of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories, but I never got from him a sense of disdain for Watson.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Okay, I did not expect to like this even more than the first book. These characters have grown on me immensely. I love that both Jamie and Charlotte are both complex and dynamic characters. Their relationship is interesting and I'm enjoying the slow development. I also really liked that Charlotte narrated a portion of this book - it was great to read from her more clinical perspective. I absolutely never say this, but I would be so down for this series to be like 6 books.

“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”
“That’ll be written on a few tombstones before this is over,”

This was a YA mystery story featuring a missing uncle and some art forgeries.

Watson (Jamie) and Holmes (Charlotte) were okay characters. Charlotte did come across as slightly crazy at times though, and also seemed to have problems expressing her feelings.

The storyline in this was about a missing uncle a
may ❀
I REFUSE TO BELIEVE ITS LEGAL TO END A BOOK LIKE THAT WHAT THE HELL WHAT THE HELL WHAT THE HELL

RTC
Dahlia
Ugh whyyyyyy do I keep doing these books to myself when I know they will only cause me physical pain

Oh right, because they are so fucking good and because I ship Holmes and Watson with the darkest, most vehement flame.

I can't even talk about this leave me alone bye
mith
this book was such a disappointing mess. i don't even know what to say. half the time, i had zero idea what was going on; the other half, i was annoyed with charlotte and jamie, who i really wish was called james, and their mess of a relationship. (is it me or does anyone else think their relationship/friendship/whatever is so toxic? it's so unhealthy and messed up and god, yes, i know there are a lot of reasons for that, but honestly.)
Jen Ryland
I must be honest: I didn't like this book nearly as much as A Study in Charlotte, the first book in the series. I really missed the boarding school setting, and I liked it better when Watson and Holmes were just getting to know each other. There was not a lot of recap of the first book to re-orient me, and I struggled to remember everything that happened in that book.

I also desperately needed Holmes and Moriarty family trees for reference. This book was filled with Holmes and Morarity siblings
chandler ainsley ❁
Jul 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
turns out i'm still a sucker for men named jamie
Stacee
I wasn't in love with the first book, but I was intrigued and that's what got me to request this sequel.

Right off the bat, I was confused. There's a lot of people mentioned: all sorts of Holmes, Watson, and Moriarty family members and I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. And then the plot line...take all of those random family members, add an art forgery set up, several party scenes with quirky Europeans and shake. Repeat 3-4 times and serve with an ending that I'm still scratching my
Mackenzi
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series remains one of the smartest, boldest, most unique and subversive YA series out there. Brittany Cavallaro is a Holmesian genius with a Watson's sensibilities.

15/10, A++, would recommend.
Anne
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started well, but it didn't end well.
This story felt like it was trying to be clever, whereas the 1st book in the series -- A Study in Charlotte -- was clever.
The clues were intriguing and difficult to figure out, as they should be.
And it was a cohesive story ... until the art auction.
The art auction made no sense, and the ending made even less sense.
In my opinion, the entire plot collapsed under the weight of this illogical ending.

In the plus column, I loved the relationship between Charlott
Maria (Netherreads)
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Allison
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

;_;

This was like ....the Skyfall of this series. Which is fine. And who knows, maybe book 3 will be even darker. The humor is also still there and still wonderful. Wait til you get to Elmira Davenport. *cackles*

Also, my Jamie and Charlotte feels are absolutely out of control.

Full review later.
Sophie
Sherlock Holmes retellings are a love of mine, and I adored Cavallaro's debut, A Study in Charlotte. As soon as I could, I ordered a copy of its sequel, and dove straight in.

In The Last of August, we meet our heroes, Holmes and Watson, spending their Christmas holidays between both their families. As soon as they arrive at the Holmes family manor in Sussex, they are drawn into intrigue when Charlotte's beloved uncle goes missing, and no one else seems that bothered. Obviously, Jamie and Charlott
Suzanne
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. I found this one to be more of a mystery and less predictable than the first book of the series. The progression between Charlotte & Jamie is moving at a good speed and I am interested to see what the next book entails for them.
Jess
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gah, was this ever raw! Can I say, I'm so grateful I only have a month to wait for the final book in the trilogy. Which has already been preordered within the five minutes of my finishing this book.

The dynamic between Holmes and Watson has always been a complicated, almost painful one. We saw this in book one and also saw growth in their friendship with their vulnerabilities being laid out. If we thought our beloved duo was vulnerable in book one... book two takes it to another place. As Watson
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

What the heck was that ending?!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

I received an e-ARC of this book from Harper Collins Children’s via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Trigger warning for mentions of rape, drugs and violence.

Critically
Plot – 4 out of 5 stars
I always feel like these books are over saturated because there is so much going on with the plot at all times. There’s mystery and suspense. It’s really dark a
Kayla
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The late of August

4 stars

Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson are back with a new mystery and they must solve it. They will have challenges like detective stuff and even just relationship problems.

CHARACTERS-
Charlotte was a bit weird in this book. She felt different and almost distant and she said some things that were questionable.
Jamie is a great choice of a narrator and it was great to see the story from him.

ROMANCE-
I ship Charlotte and Jamie so much. They are just destined to be and we all kne
The Last of August is book two in the Charlotte Holmes series. This series is YA contemporary mystery.

I would definitely recommend reading A Study in Charlotte first.

The narrator is 16 year old Jamie Watson (the great-great-great-grandson of John Watson). The other main character is Charlotte Holmes (the great-great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes).

When the book begins it is late December and Jamie and Charlotte are in England. They are on Christmas/winter break. I was actually a bit sad
Ashley Brooks
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The follow up book to A Study in Charlotte didn't disappoint, but it did feel a bit disjointed. There was a lot going on plot wise and a lot of new characters added, which made it difficult to follow at times. For me, the relationship dynamic between Holmes and Watson just isn't working in this book.

I really enjoyed parts of the mystery, went "huh?" at others and overall I really enjoy Charlotte's version of "Sherlock Holmes."

Thank you to Harper Collins and Edelweiss for providing me a copy fo
Katie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this book a 5 star rating but I was really confused when reading the ending (I need to go back and reread the last 30 or 40 pages at some point) and so for that reason, I had to take off a star.

The Last of August starts shortly after the events of A Study in Charlotte and Jamie and Charlotte are on winter break back in England. After spending some time with Jamie's mom and sister, they go to visit Charlotte's family. After a couple of days, Charlotte's uncle goes missing
Samythenerdybeasty
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That wasn't what I was expecting and now I need to know what happens next! Can we just time travel to the release of the third book like right now? 😅🙈😆
Carla
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!!!!!!!!!! RTC
Trisha  (The Tea Reader)
I don’t even know, to begin with, this book, this was such a let down after the first book, and it just left me very confused and with more questions than answers. The first book was great (I did have some issues with it) and there were something things about this book that I did enjoy, but it was definitely lacking some for me.
Check Out My Full Review
Nicole Alycia
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one. Jamie is just as lovable, Charlotte is just as eccentric, and there's new characters that just add to the story. I enjoyed the investigation in this book, there was a lot going on but not in a bad way. Solid second installment in this series and I'm looking forward to the next book!
Sara
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
[4.0]
Kit Williamson
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review coming soon, but suffice it to say this more than lives up to the excitement and promise of A Study in Charlotte. I love this series.
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
3-3.5/5 STARS

Now, I should say that I LOVED the first book in this series. It was my first 5 star read of 2018, and I bought the rest of the series after finishing it. That said, The Last of August did, unfortunately, fall flat for me.

description

I think the main issue I had with the story was that almost the ENTIRE BOOK I was confused about what was happening. Like- really confused. Like - I still am not sure I understand. The overall plot was, I think, about art forgery (and I LOVE art forgery stuff - in
Cynthia
2.5 stars;

The Last of August is the second book in a gender-bender teenage Sherlock Holmes-inspired series featuring Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson. I really enjoyed the first one ( A Study in Charlotte ), with its dark tones and murder mystery-ing. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for this one. I really struggled.

The story continues off with Charlotte and Jamie spending the holidays together were we get to meet more the Holmes. Jamie is still mostly telling the story, and the sleuthing an
  • The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl From Everywhere, #2)
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, #2)
  • In a Perfect World
  • Amal Unbound
  • Long May She Reign
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Puddin' (Dumplin', #2)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen #2)
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • That Inevitable Victorian Thing
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • Wildcard (Warcross #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Charlotte Holmes novels from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books, including A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, THE LAST OF AUGUST, and THE CASE FOR JAMIE (forthcoming in March 2018). She's also the author of the poetry collection GIRL-KING (University of Akron) and is the recipient of a ...more
More about Brittany Cavallaro

Charlotte Holmes (4 books)
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes #3)
  • A Question of Holmes (Charlotte Holmes #4)
“I tended to spend too much time with my favorite things, loved them too hard until I wore them down. After a while, they became more like a shorthand for who I was and less like things I actually enjoyed.” 5 likes
“She looked like a whisper made real.” 4 likes