Start by marking “Dare You (Nikki Kill, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dare You (Nikki Kill, #2)

Dare You

(Nikki Kill #2)

What color is betrayal?

Nikki Kill didn’t realize that trying to find out who killed Peyton Hollis would tangle her in a web of dangerous family secrets that would rock her identity to the core: Peyton was Nikki’s secret half sister.

Peyton knew they shared the same strange cognitive ability—synesthesia, which blends your senses—and left a trail of color clues that only Nikk
Published February 14th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Dare You, please sign up.

This was a YA mystery story about a girl with synaesthesia.

Nikki was an okay character, but I didn’t find myself really caring all that much about her unfortunately.

The storyline in this was okay, but I did find that I got bored really quickly. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood for this one, but the storyline didn’t really hold my interest well at all. We had Nikki investigating when had happened to Pe
Dare You picks up seven months after the events at the end of Shade Me. It recaps what happened pretty well drawing you quickly back into the mystery of Peyton Hollis and the family that surrounds her. Nikki Kill is still my absolute favorite. She remains a total badass with a complete attitude and her synesthesia is still a large help in unraveling the truth.

Life has moved on for Nikki after finding out who killed Peyton. She hasn’t heard from Detective Martinez since. Nikki Kill seems to be
Shelley
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Source* Edelweiss/Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Mystery
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

*Full Review @ Gizmos Reviews*

Dare You is the second installment in author Jennifer Brown's Nikki Kill series. It has been (7) months since the events of Shade Me. Soon to be 19-year old Nikki Kill has quietly stayed out of the spotlight, for the most part, since encountering Luna, Dru, Bill, & Vanessa Hollis that nearly killed her. With Luna in juvie, and her parents apparently hiding in Dubai, she is about t
Jim Crocker
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this second Nikki Kill Trilogy, Nikki and Detective Martinez are in trouble deep. I'm not gonna say how this one ends, because it's a major cliff-hanger. Now I'll hav'ta read the third one.

Start with the first one and you're off to Nikki-Land and there's no turning back.

Cheers and happy reading!
JIM in MT
Madison
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Addictive. And now I so very desperately need the next book in this series. Right. Now. I can't wait to read what happens next and get back to Nikki and Detective Martinez. Ahhh. When can I have book three??? But first, let me tell you about my love for this book.

Dare You picks up where Shade Me left off. Nikki knows who killed Peyton, she just can't prove it. So she finished school and is about to graduate. But that's it when it comes to plans, unsure about what to do with her life.
rachel
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Dare You was more enjoyable read than Shade Me but there is just something about this series - although I have no clue what - that stops me from completely loving it. Brown has undoubtedly managed to create a suspenseful atmosphere that leaves you turning the pages anxious for answers but she fails to completely draw you in with her wordy writing style and dense, slow-moving plots.

The storyline was not quite as addictive as I would have liked. It felt a little too drawn out. I understand that N
Jen Ryland
Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

I really enjoy these books - they have a "noir" feel that I really like.
Review to come.

FTC Disclosure: Thanks to the publisher for providing a free advance copy of this book for me to review. If you are a regular reader of my reviews, then you know that getting a free book does not necessarily make me like it!
Ashley
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing! I hadn't read a lot of mystery before this book, and I feel like this is something I absolutely need to change in the future. Though I started in the middle of this series, Jennifer Brown sucked me in and kept me reading despite not having a firm grasp of who each character was. Rather than throw me out of the action, however, not knowing who everyone was only made me want to read more. I wanted to piece together the events of the first book through the events o ...more
Marjolein Viel
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Amazing!
julieta
One thing I love about these books is how much Nikki hates herself and thinks sshe's a horrible person but also knows she's the only one who can (and will) take care of herself. I don't know, I find this very relatable.
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
A solid sequel. I'm a big fan of Detective Martinez, so of course I liked all the extra page-time with him. Nikki definitely started to grow on me. I liked the twists and turns, even though I'm not usually a fan of stories that involve framing.

Again, if you're not a fan of reading books with a lot of language, this might not be for you. But if you don't mind it, this was a pretty gripping sequel in a interestingly unique series. It's like Nancy drew on steroids. ;)
Ryan Clark
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid sequel. I like Nikki Kill. I like her synesthesia. I like that she solves mysteries but she's also kind of an asshole. It's fun.
Alejandra
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*spoilers ahead*
Nikki Kill, synesthete has found herself entangled in the lies that killed her half-sister. She has been dragged down this road by Detective Martinez, and the yellow associated with him. She doesn't let people in, and she doesn't trust anyone but herself and her instincts. How could she? When she's found out that her whole life was a lie? Her mom, her dad, her sister's family. Hell even the one person who she thought would always be there for her, Jones? But Martinez won't stop
Gretchen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diane Ferbrache
Nikki Kill is barely recovered from the trauma of her mother’s murder, the murder of a newly discovered half-sister, and the murder of her boyfriend. Her father is emotionally distant, her best friend, Jones, clearly wants to be more than a friend, and Nikki has been arrested for Peyton’s (her half-sister) murder. With the help of a young police detective, can Nikki figure out who is trying to frame her? Can she use her synesthesia to solve the clues left by Peyton?

This is a sequel to Shade Me.
Nikki Kill is back to kick butt and save her life. This novel picks up a few months after the last one. All of the big players from the last book are either in juvie, hiding in another country, or totally ghosting Nikki. Though none of that really matters, because Nikki is graduating and trying to figure out what to do with her life. However, things turn up missing and a new DA is looking hard at Nikki for the murder of Peyton. With the help of her synesthesia and some old friends, Nikki goes ba ...more
Sarah Olson
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*REVIEW CONTAINS A MILD SPOILER*
I am still in shock from the cliffhangers with which I was just left. Is it too much to ask for the next book RIGHT NOW?!?!

Dare You was, in my opinion, even better than Shade Me. I loved every page. And let's just take a moment to appreciate the wonderful character that is Detective Martinez! Yes please! The character development was great, too! We see Nikki learning to trust and open up a little more, not to mention the blossoming relationship between her and Mar
Laura's Book Addiction
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
"The kind of regret that will never go away. The kind of regret that leaves you heart wondering what the hell happened. The kind of regret that had you sitting alone."

Well Jennifer Brown has done it again, the second book in the Nikki Kill trilogy was every bit as brilliant as Shade Me. I honestly don't want to leave the world Jennifer has created and after that ending I need Break Us now. Thank goodness I've only got to wait a few weeks for it!! Nikki & Chris have stolen my heart and I can'
BookChic Club
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this follow-up to Shade Me- it was just as fast-paced, funny and suspenseful as the previous book. Brown does a great job of pacing the novel, answering questions along the way while bringing up new ones for the next (final) book to answer. A lot happens over the course of this book but there's still plenty more to wrap up. I'm eager to read the final book early next year and see how everything pans out now that the mystery has expanded so much more.
Isabel Silva
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I picked up this book, unsure of what to expect and was amazed to say the least. The book was filled with unexpected twists in the tale and left my heart pounding after I finished the book. The characters, once again, captivated me and kept me hanging on every word. I'm excited and a little nervous about what the third book has to offer based off of everything that happened near the end of the book.
Grace
Crystal
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Thrilling narrative with spectacular zest. The plot was incredible and the main character has developed so well. Nikki Kill is absolutely extraordinary. I love the tension between the characters. The betrayal was evident throughout the storyline. The cliff-hanger at the end nearly drove me crazy.

All in all, an amazing read. 100% recommend!
Kelly Sierra
Honestly, I am just here for Detective Martinez. Nikki is still annoying as hell. I'm still into the whole synesthesia bit of the storyline, it makes things interesting. I really do want to know more about Nikki's mother's past and find out the lies she's been fed all her life. I want to know what will happen next to Martinez, and how Nikki will fix this.

3 stars
Jessica Madden
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book, "Dare You" was fantastic. It was a page turner that had me on the edge of my seat, and I enjoyed every moment of it. I enjoyed it so much that I didn't want the book to end. Now to move onto the third book.
Hayley
This book was so good! As I was hoping, this book was worthy of four stars! In Dare You, I got to see even more development of the characters and the storyline. I feel more connected to this series because of this book and that is why I like it so much.
Saleena Davidson
Dare You is a sequel to Shade Me, a murder mystery/suspense story centered around a girl with synesthesia (when colors & words & numbers are mixed up in your brain). It was interesting and a quick read. This wasn't a shocking book, but the suspense kept you going.
Samantha Thacker
This series has been the absolute best by far. This boom has kept me on the edge of my seat in fear, adrenaline, sadness, and even happiness. I have grown connected to Nikki Kill and I totally ship Nikki and Detective Martinez!! The best book ever!!!
Kathleen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, arc-galley
Some plot holes - who is the frizzy haired woman, can they use any of the evidence they found since it was obtained illegally, why does Nikki's last name *have* to be Kill? I mean, really. And it gets used over and over like Veronica Mars.
Miriam Zink
This book wasnt as good as the first one. I usually love Jennifer Brown's books so this was a disappointment. It seems like she rushed to come up with an idea. I will not be reading the next one.
Louisa
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! Loved how annoying the way the world was, that the Hollises basically got away! Can't wait to read the 3rd book!

• The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • The Huaca
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Bad Blood
  • Reckless Hearts (Wicked Games, #2)
  • Once Upon a Maiden Lane (Maiden Lane, #12.5)
  • Feeding the Dragon
  • The Interrogation of Gabriel James
  • No Promises in the Wind
  • One Dead, Two to Go (An Eddie Shoes Mystery, #1)
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Wickedpedia
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot Bonus Epilogue (Castles Ever After, #3.5)
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Thin Space
  • Before They Find Us
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #1)
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec

Nikki Kill (3 books)
  • Shade Me (Nikki Kill, #1)
  • Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)