Start by marking “A Season of Daring Greatly” as Want to Read:
A Season of Daring Greatly

A Season of Daring Greatly

Eighteen-year-old Jill Cafferty just made history. Her high school’s star pitcher, she is now the first woman drafted by a major league baseball team. Only days after her high school graduation, she’ll join the Pittsburgh Pirates’ Class A Short Season team . . . but not everyone is happy to have her there.

On top of the pressure heaped on every pitcher, Jill must deal with
Published February 14th 2017 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about A Season of Daring Greatly, please sign up.
Katie I'm not certain, but I really feel like there has to be! The ending was so abrupt and at an odd place, and I really feel like Jill's story isn't over…moreI'm not certain, but I really feel like there has to be! The ending was so abrupt and at an odd place, and I really feel like Jill's story isn't over yet. I left the story feeling very unfulfilled- but I also felt like I wasn't really sure where the author meant to take the story. It kind of just... ended.(less)
Sydney Depending on how young of a teen. There is your typical baseball language and opinions of women. I would probably rate it 14/15 +

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl playing for a major-league baseball team.

Jill was an okay character, and she seemed to take things in her stride pretty well. She also didn’t let fame get to her, and came across as generally a nice person.

The storyline in this was about Jill becoming the first woman to play major-league baseball, and all the pressures and problems that came along with it. I did
lov2laf
So me and this author go way back. Way back as in I first read her when I was thirteen or fourteen…and I was enamored and hooked and in book hangover mode for years. When I think of her “President’s Daughter” series or “Life Without Friends”, I STILL have a strong emotional connection and remember the lead characters, Meg and Beverly, as if they were people I actually knew.

Her books had the unique distinction of dealing with complex and often dark subject matter while not being patronizing to a
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Being the first person to review the book on Goodreads is a big deal because if you end up not loving the story, others might think it's not worth their time either.

I was super excited about A Season of Daring Greatly mostly because I can't wait for Pitch to premiere on Fox and because I love books about women playing sports. I knew I was going to read it the moment I read the blurb and I'm still glad I did but I sadly didn't love it.

To me, the book lacked that drive which usually makes me che
Angie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I think by now you're all familiar with my love for Ellen Emerson White's books. So you'll have no trouble understanding the level of excitement I've been living with ever since I heard she was writing a contemporary YA about the first girl to be drafted by a Major League Baseball team. Wild horses were having trouble keeping my anticipation within any sort of manageable proportions. It's difficult to believe that the release day has finally arrived, but it
Katie
This was very good and solid. I really appreciated that the book dealt with the fact that the first female baseball player isn't just going to have to be good at baseball, she's going to have to be good at dealing with the pressure. And Jill and the people around her were very aware of it.

It was also just a good BASEBALL book. The struggle of the minors, the fact that most of the people in the low minors aren't going to make it.

I want more books!
Kelly
Jill's at the end of her high school baseball career and being chased by both big, impressive colleges and the major leagues. So when she's a third round draft pick, she knows that she's in it for the big leagues, and more, she's making history as the first woman in professional baseball. This is a story about her experiences navigating the tricky terrain of "bro world" sports and being herself, when she isn't the sort of happy-go-lucky, stereotypical female people want or expect her to be. Thro ...more
Lynn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a particular book is JUST what you need at that particular time and that was the case with A Season of Daring Greatly for me. I'm a fan of baseball and also baseball books. I love an underdog story and a story with an engaging ensemble cast. I think I needed a book where a woman came out ahead in a male-dominated field. I got all these things and a huge amount of sheer enjoyment in A Season of Daring Greatly.

Jill Cafferty is 6'2" tall, strong, disciplined, has a 90 mph fast ball and wi
Margaret Schoen
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a review of an ARC from Edelweiss.

Jill Cafferty is a 17-year-old pitching phenom from Rhode Island. In another world, she'd be taking her scholarship to Stanford and enjoying life on the west coast for a few years. But then the long shot comes in - and she gets drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Sent to a minor league team in Albany, Jill has to make all the adjustments that any new player deals with, while making history.

This was an interesting one. I went in expecting this t
Susann
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a treat to immerse myself in an Ellen Emerson White world. Yes, EEW's heroines have the same intellect + grit + show tunes knowledge, and her supporting characters are equally familiar. But I always fall in love with these characters, so that is more than fine with me. I raced through this and expect to re-read it soon.

I enjoyed and appreciated the details of life in the minor leagues. As I was describing the story to my boyfriend, he thought I was describing a non-fiction book and that he
Lindsay
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this so much more than I did. Hoping some of the technical issues I had with it (POV, formatting, italics in weird spots, random capitalized letters) will be fixed in the finished copy. The story just didn't click for me. Jill was *okay* but I never truly connected with her. And for someone who wants to be a professional pitcher she didn't always act like it. I did like Marcus and Scott though. I wish more could've been developed with their relationships.
Erin
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You have intellect, and courage, and command. Play your own game, and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. That is what's going to give you a shot at making it. Comparing yourself to anyone else will just drive you crazy."

Cafferty is an extremely good baseball player, theirs only one problem. She's a young women going into a male dominated world that isn't known for playing nicely to each other let alone a young women. Women and baseball have never been treated properly. In th
Knobby
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
(I read the ARC version of this, even though it's been out for a bit, so some things may be different in the final version?)

I'm not a baseball person. I don't particularly care about the sport and find it tedious to watch, so this book holding my interest for hours is kind of a big deal. Jill Cafferty, 18, is the first woman to get drafted for a minor league team. Jill has to deal with a whole media circus as well as animosity from fans of the game and also the people she brushes up against in h
Grace
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! It was lacking that little bit to bump it up to five stars, but this is a very good book - and on the off chance EEW plans on adding to this universe, an even better first book. (I don't mean this in a bad way. It's a very nice standalone novel, but there's also the potential for a lot more of Jill's journey and I would personally really love to see that.)

I really liked how much this captured the real uncertainties of the minor leagues, where the reality is that most players
Karla
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I've never seen so many comma splices in a book.
Shelley
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, youth, buy-this
Jill is just about to graduate high school when she's drafted to the Pirates and heads off to the minors. At first, this was exactly what I wanted Pitch to be--funny, smart, showing the nitty gritty of how to build up to the majors. (By the end of the season, Pitch was exactly what I wanted it to be, too, though.) Then I got so caught up in the story and its own track that all comparisons went out the window. I loved Jill and her family, and her friendships, and how everyone felt like fully roun ...more
Julia
(3/15/17) Fans of Ellen Emerson White will know and love Jill from the very first page. Fierce disciple, personally competitive, quiet wit, and an introvert's gentle charm. I am not a baseball fan, but the process nerd in me loved every last page of Jill's training, mental game, and team building. I watched half a season of Pitch, despite its flaws, only to have A Season of Daring Greatly show me how this premise could have been executed with greatness. This snippet of Jill's life is wholly engr ...more
Ashley
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was fine for me, but I think someone who actually knows/cares about baseball would like it a lot more. There were some things where I was like, okay, I know what all those words mean independently, but somehow when they are put together into this sentence I have no idea what is even going on. How does drafting work? What on earth is a pitch count? What are all these numbered seams? Four seamer? Two seamed? Is this something to do with the seams of the baseball? Do you use a different ba ...more
Joy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great read from White, about the first woman pitching for MLB and her rookie season in a farm team. You don't need to be a die-hard sports fan to enjoy this book, as the characters are well-developed and the human angle to the story is ever-present. I didn't want it to end.
Liz
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
As if I wasn’t already missing baseball and wanting the season to start.

I really enjoyed following Jill and the other players—their varying backgrounds and stories—were overwhelmingly good, too.

(“Mother” really stood out there.)

I loved the Williamsport details, too. They were accurate and it was nice to have a nod to that history.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the ending but it also felt a little too open to me. Hopefully that means more of this world, but even without it, I enjoyed spending my time he
Amy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: galley, young-adult, 2016
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. The writing style is not my favorite - lots and lots of italics, and way too much description about the mechanics of practices and pitching and getting dressed for games.
A.J. Richard
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for young adults! Inspirational, real, solid, and a must read for girls. Empowering. Authentic. If I had a daughter I would save it for her to read as a teen.
Kkharvey
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short Summary: Jill Cafferty becomes the first female to be drafted to the MLB as a pitcher right out of high school. She deals with the trials and tribulations of becoming a new recruit with the added pressures of making history for her gender.

What I liked: I really enjoyed Jill as a main character. She was well spoken, she was a great advocator for women in general without assuming that she spoke for all women. Her fears were real, her strength was real, I was totally enamoured with her story
Charmaine
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great, inspirational story! Jill Cafferty is remarkable. Her story seemed absolutely realistic in such an unlikely scenario. I've never been a big baseball fan, but I already know I'd be obsessed with this kind of situation in real life. Jill, you're a rockstar and you absolutely MUST go into politics when you retire from professional sports!

This book was a feminist manifesto hidden behind a fun and inspirational story. It brings up public perception, prejudice, and a myriad of other cha
Kristina Jean Lareau
A very good read about an eighteen year old woman who is signed into the Minor Leagues right out of high school and must then learn to navigate a male-dominated world of professional sports. This title brings a lot of great issues to the front--the interpretations of feminism, equality, talent, and passion. It is a good read, though there seems to be a great distance between the Jill and the reader. It all feels rather clinical and lacking passion.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount read: 2 chapters, just under 10%

I like my sports novels with a strong dose of romance. While I love the concept, I'm bored by the constant details about baseball. The voice doesn't do anything for me, and I just don't like sports enough. #notforme
Susan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book SO much. It was so good. I grew up going to minor league baseball games so this gave me the warm fuzzies. Be warned if you aren't a baseball fan you may not enjoy this. I thought it was excellent!
Kathleen
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-a
As a teenager, I *loved* Ellen Emerson White. I read "The President's Daughter" series more times than I count, and I'm pretty sure I wrote her some fan letters. Though she's continued to write - a bunch of historical fiction, the "Santa Paws" series, and more - she was relegated to my past until I spotted this brand new YA book at the library.

In A Season of Daring Greatly, Jill Cafferty is the first female major league baseball player. Drafted just out of high school, she grapples with the sexi
Beth
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story about a girl recruited as the first woman in the MLB, who realistically starts on a minor league team. Even the baseball bits were interesting to me.

I'd put in on the shelf next to Michael Grant's WWII stuff.
Susan  Dunn
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
I love this author! This one is new territory for White. 18-year-old Jill Cafferty is a star baseball player. Baseball - not softball. She makes history by being the first woman drafted by a major league baseball team, so instead of going off to college, Jill is sent to the minor leagues. This is a great portrayal of minor league ball, as well as another spirited and funny EEW female character.
Dana
Please write a sequel! This was one to relish and yet so hard to put down. I wish it had gone on for another book or two.

This book captures not only the baseball side of the story but the sacrifices women players must make, and the treatment they must endure, to simply play the sport they love.

So lovely to also read about baseball from a woman’s perspective. A lovely YA novel to inspire young ball players and athletes. A great companion to Ila Jane Borders’ memoir, ‘Making My Pitch’ or ‘A Game o
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• League of Archers (League of Archers #1)
  • Don't You Trust Me?
  • Game Seven
  • Losers Take All
  • The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story
  • Riding Chance
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Next (D-Bow High School Hoops, #1)
This talented writer attended Tufts University (and published her first book, Friends for Life, while a senior there) and currently lives in New York City. Ms. White grew up in Narragansett, Rhode Island. Many of her novels feature characters who reside in or around Boston and are fans of the Boston Red Sox (as is Ms. White). In addition to novels, Ms. White has published several biographies. She ...more
“You have intellect, and courage, and command. Play your own game, and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. That is what's going to give you a shot at making it. Comparing yourself to anyone else will just drive you crazy.” 1 likes
“But, I think the path to total world dominatiin by women will be much easier, if we're all extremely well educated.” 0 likes