Start by marking “Haikyu!!, Vol. 1: Hinata and Kageyama” as Want to Read:
Haikyu!!, Vol. 1: Hinata and Kageyama

Haikyu!!, Vol. 1: Hinata and Kageyama (ハイキュー!! [Haikyū!!] #1)

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  6,166 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews

After losing his first and last volleyball match against Tobio Kageyama, "the King of the Court," Shoyo Hinata swears to become his rival after graduating middle school. But what happens when the guy he wants to defeat ends up being his teammate?!

Published July 5th 2016 by VIZ Media: SHONEN JUMP (first published June 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Haikyu!!, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Gavin Abdollahi I'm pretty sure Viz Media's already translated it... you can buy it digitally through the Weekly Shonen Jump app, or you could purchase it in print at…moreI'm pretty sure Viz Media's already translated it... you can buy it digitally through the Weekly Shonen Jump app, or you could purchase it in print at a bookstore or online.(less)

Voldemort
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PURRRRFECT...

Since Hungry heart Wild striker I've been a great fan of sports anime/manga. Started with Slam dunk, Captain Tsubasa followed by Kuroko no Basuke and now Haikyuu and Free/Free Eternal summer. Brilliant volley manga and pretty realistic. A must watch/read for the sport fans.

Beside I adore Tanaka.

Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, manga, ya
Banner

10/10, good stuff, just like the anime. Even though it's just pictures, the way Furudate draws movement is very effective in accurately portraying the epicness of the sport. This is something I was worried about, that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as seeing everything animated.

The absolute best thing about this series, what makes it the powerhouse story that it is, what makes me and so many others love it so much, is the characters. Oh boy, how Furudate knows how to write characters!! There are li
Antonella
i already watched every episode of the anime and i want moreee

So because i cant wait for the second season and i love this anime so much i decided to read the manga, i really hope reading this turns out to be as pleasant as it was watching it.

Rox
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading sports mangas but most of them are baseball-related. This is the first manga (about volleyball) that I read and I love it. What I love most about this is the lead character and how he is not some pansy and coward hero but because he started-out strong despite his ultimate weakness- his height.
Mal
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-graphic, own
WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT HAIKYUU WAS GETTING AN ENGLISH MANGA IRL I WENT TO B&N AND BOUGHT IT IMMEDIATELY IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL. THANK YOU GOD.
Sara
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally got around to reading this and I am so so happy I did. It flew by and reminded me why I loved the anime so much.
Dazz Ross
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This was sort of like my situation with Seraph of the End, except that I'm currently watching the second season of this anime series, and I freaking love it to pieces. Pretty much every thing about it in fact. So I wanted to check out the manga to see how it differed, and if I would like it as much.

And again, turns out I did. While I prefer this show over Seraph of the End, I still do like both. But Haikyuu overall has greater characters, and almost all of them get some surprisingly great develo
bakanekonomama
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, olahraga
Bete adalah ketika lo udah nulis review panjang-panjang dan cakep-cakep, tapi kemudian aplikasi gutrits lo di hape berulah dan review panjang yang keluar dari hasil pemikiran secara saksama itu menghilang begitu saja. Rese!!! ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

(/‵Д′)/~ ╧╧
(╯°▽°)╯ ┻━┻
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

Males dah mau nulis ripiunya lagi. Huhuhuu.... (T△T)(T△T)(T△T)

Pokoknya gue suka sama ceritanya. Baru nonton animenya sih, dan buru-buru nyari manganya karena animenya belon beres. Tokoh-tokohnya unik-unik, hubungan a
First Second Books
Beautiful, character-driven volleyball sports manga. About a short, very rumbustious orange-haired kid named Hinata who joins his high school volleyball team, Karasuno. With his amazing reflexes and crazy jumping ability he is able to receive the prodigy setter's sets and together this freshman duo leads their team to Nationals.
Nanna
Seru ternyata... iya seru, interaksi Kageyama dan Hinata seru banget ( ° ʖ °)( ° ʖ °) //salahfokus
Duh, ini baru volume awal udah ada yang bisa dikapalin~ XD

Berharap komik ini, semakin banyak jumlah volumenya, semoga tidak bertambah juga ke-"miracle"-annya seperti komik sebelah ( ° ʖ °)
Claudia
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
man I had forgotten how grumpy tsukki was
salma
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, favorites
i love these boys and i love volleyball I LOVE THESE BOYS I LOVE THEM ALL
Kzee Mikols
A little repetitive but I think it's setting up a good series
Nikki
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I'm absolutely in love with the show, so I just had to start reading the manga too. It's just as great, it has the exact same feeling and the art is sooo nice to look at. The way it's drawn, it really becomes alive on the pages and you feel all the emotions the characters feel. Can't wait to start the next book!
Sophie
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haikyuu!! is a really fun sports manga with characters that are absolutely adorable. Like, I don't know where to start! Obviously Hinata and Kagayama are wonderful, and Suga and Daichi and Tanaka-senpai and Take-chan and Tsukki (okay, not wonderful and adorable maybe but loveable?) and Yamaguchi and Ukai and every single character that pops up in this manga. It's fun and full of great energy and just lifts me up.
I spent about a month going, "Should I buy this or not" but in the end I did and I'
Ken Yuen
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ken by: susan
Appreciate the use of honorifics! They don't in the anime subtitles which comes off as goofy to me (plus the anime has some typos from time to time). Good translation effort here!
Astoria
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a new obsession!
Panda
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this with a passion. The characters, the art, the plot, even the volleyball parts. It's amazing!
AND I got a little Ushijima figure with it as a gift (aka for free) so I'm very happy!
Fox
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-manga
haikyu!! is my favorite anime and reading the manga that inspired is such a beautiful experience. 5 beautiful stars. in conclusion, KAGEHINA MY GAY BABIES
Gavin Abdollahi
"The ball hasn't touched the floor yet!"

I honestly felt like giving this one a 4/5, but... I know myself. I'm gonna keep reading, then, when I'm all done, this will have become one of my favorite series and then I'll go back and rate every single book 5 stars. Also, seeing volume 1's 4.55 average rating mainly changed my mind.

Haikyu!! is a shounen sports manga about volleyball. I'm not really a volleyball fan, but I still enjoyed this. It'll familiarize you with the rules as you go, though, so e
Sirene
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mein allererster Sportmanga und ich war zuerst mal überrascht gewesen, dass es sehr viel Text gibt zu der Handlung und auch viele Erklärungen zum Sport selbst, d.h. ohne Vorwissen über Volleyball ist es gut lesbar.
Auch wenn Volleyball das Thema ist, ist es nicht "der eine" zentrale Punkt der Story. Mehr geht es um die Charaktere, ihre Kameradschaft, ihre Träume und ihre Leidenschaft zum Spiel.

Shoyo Hinata und Tobio Kageyama sind die Hauptcharaktere in Haikyu!! und die beiden könnte nicht versc
Tansie G.
Since I binge-watched the first two seasons of Haikyuu in a little less than two days, I figured I should probably find the manga and read the heck out of that, too.

NO REGRETS.

The art is beautiful, the characters are lovable, and the dialogue is both hilarious when it needs to be and sad/poetic when it needs to be. There are no downsides, except that sometimes the pages felt a little cramped by all the speech bubbles. But this might just be me?? I dunno. In any case, it wasn't so bad that I fe
Selena
So Haikyu!! is a super popular manga right? I can see why. The problem is, the whole "shipping all of the male characters" thing has never been my cup of tea, and sadly, that's a large majority of what this has to offer so far...

Haikyu is a volleyball manga, and while knowledge or enjoyment of volleyball isn't required for this series (it's more of a soap that uses volleyball to stage the thing), it probably would help.

The action was good, and the art does a pretty good job. Can't say it's amazi
Sandra Girard-Demontigny
I am really glad that my cousin made me discover this series of manga. I love it. I'm a former volleyball player now hurted , it allows me to find a little bit my passion for this sport. Surprisingly I can easily find myself into the two character. I was determined to win and so I surpassed myself to the point of making the pass in the movie The matrix to avoid a ball that was going to be out, I still don't know how I did that. I sincerely hope to be able to see the two main characters of this v ...more
Littlebookterror
I've watched the anime before reading this but I am as excited as I was when I watched it the first time.

The manga is an uplifting story about high schoolers playing volleyball. It's not too edgy when it comes to the plot and their skills at the games are not unbelievable. There is talent, of course, but not to a superhuman extent. The twist of having both Shoyo and Kageyama on the same team is such a new and refreshing idea, I loved it - and it makes for the funniest interactions.
The first volu
Jonathan Jeckell
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't care much about volleyball or sports in general, but that's not what this is really about. It's about teamwork, learning, and passion for winning. One of the characters has passion and athleticism, but lacks height and lacked a team to develop his skills. Another is a high-strung perfectionist. They clashed on the court in middle school, and that rivalry carried over after their shock of finding themselves at the same high school. Now these rivals must learn to get in synch, because voll ...more
Heryani
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jadi tahun lalu, seorang teman baik gue ngasih donlotan anime Haikyu!! katanya bagus, wajib tonton. Tapi sampai sekarang animenya masih gue anggurin :(

Dan entah kenapa gue justru lebih pengin baca bukunya sih daripada nonton animenya. Tapi sayangnya tiap ke toko buku jarang berjodoh sama nomer satunya. Selalu nemunya udah nomer 3 dan seterusnya. Makanya kemarin pas nemu masih ada dari nomer satu, langsung aja comot toga nomer sekaligus hehehe. Dan gue sukaaaaa :D

Yah, tipikal sport manga lah yaa,
Pluto
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Stereotypical manga with the same insanely determined main character and talented rival as every other manga, but still really good
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the friendship that is starting to grow ever so slowly in this story and I can’t wait to see how the boys are going to do in the futur
YouTube Anime/Man...: Haikyuu!! 1 7 Aug 01, 2014 08:16PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: Haikyuu Discussion 1 4 Aug 01, 2014 07:50PM
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 1 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1]
  • Behind the Scenes!!, Vol. 1
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 5 [Boku No Hero Academia 5] (My Hero Academia, #5)
  • Love Stage!! 3
  • ハイ☆スピード! [High Speed!]
  • 黒子のバスケ 25 [Kuroko no Basuke 25] (Kuroko's Basketball, #25)
  • Yowamushi Pedal, Go! Vol. 1
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 12 [Tokyo Guru 12] (Tokyo Ghoul, #12)
  • ほんと野獣 2 [Honto Yajuu 2]
  • カーニヴァル 7 [Kānivaru 7] (Karneval, #7)
  • K -メモリー・オブ・レッド- 1 (K: Memory of Red, #1)
  • 暁のヨナ 1 [Akatsuki no Yona 1] (Yona of the Dawn, #1)
Haruichi Furudate (古舘 春一 Furudate Haruichi?) is a Japanese manga artist. He is best known for creating the shōnen manga series Haikyū!!.