Start by marking “Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1

Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1 (Sensual Phrase #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  2,145 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Published March 24th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1

Chibineko
Jan 05, 2012 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
I've owned these books for a while but recently re-read them. I have to say, this is one series that completely took me by surprise. I'd seen it on the shelves but dismissed them unfairly. The following review is for the entire series.

I love the artwork and story in this series. I especially love how the actual pairing off happened so quickly in relation to other series, which I like. (It's one of the reasons I loved Kare Kano as much as I did.) There's the typical "I luff them but someone is fi
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Sep 27, 2010 CJ - It's only a Paper Moon rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, dark-themes, shojo
Well...*ahem* .... that was a little...*ahem*

gifs

Well I'll be.
TheFountainPenDiva
The entire series was unforgivably addicting. Despite being filled with everything that makes me eyeroll about shojo manga (and romance in general), I quickly scarfed through Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1 like an extra large helping of McDonald's french fries. I admit it, the seriously hot rocker bishonen men just fired my jets in a huge way. Rock n' roll. Angst. Hot bishonen men with guitars, drums and bass. Sexual tension off the charts.

Sensual Phrase is visual eye candy. Sakuya, the lead singer for
KimberlyRose
I want to punch this arrogant douchebag player slutman in his questionably clean balls. And then smack the girl for being such a brainless sucker for him. And she's so unbelievably naive.

I'm all for stories about abusive relationships and the misuse of power and knowledge. But this was tripe. The girl's swooning instalove for him based in nothing but the most shallow of reasons reminds me of the worst of stereotyped "romances." Boo.

Also, I am not a fan of famous rock star/music/band settings.
Charlotte
Someone asked me the other day if I’d read any good manga lately… I realised, to my shame, I’ve not picked one up for several months now. I only brought a handful or so down to Uni, but to my delight the entire 18 volume run of Kaikan Phrase has managed to loiter in amongst the textbooks.

The third manga series I completed, Sensual/Kaikan Phrase is a sweet shojo, as well drawn as it is written. As with a lot of shojo, you have to suspend reality a little (the likelihood of being almost run-down b
Shannon
Dec 26, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, manga
Gah, I really loved this. The art was pretty and the plot was a cute idea. The main character Aine gets to become a popular band(called Lucifer)'s lyricist and she finds herself falling for the lead singer Sakuya. I read 'Love Celeb' before this one and I must say this one is going good so far. Sakuya had a cameo in that manga and in it's epilogue Aine and Sakuya popped up. Sakuya seemed interesting enough and when I saw he had his own manga, I had to read it.

I really liked Aine and Sakuya. I t
Ny
Aug 28, 2012 Ny rated it really liked it
I need to read this series again. It's been years, but this is what I remember:

This is a sexy, sexy series. Like. What people rave about Fifty Shades of Gray? No. This is what sexy is. It helps that this band is designed off of Buck-Tick, a sexy, sexy band, and then a band was formed anyway for the anime adaptation.

This is about a girl falling in love with the vocalist of a band called /\ucifer. She'd never been in a relationship before, and if I recall correctly was a virgin, and had been take
Michi
This was overloaded with cliches and absurd situations. When the virginal protagonist has her clothes ripped off and is nearly gang-raped in the school hallway at the behest of a band's jealous female fans, I stopped being able to suspend disbelief, and I read a lot of shojo high school romance in the past. The oversexed hero is always there to rescue his girl since she has no other friends, family, or ability to save her from trouble. Too ridiculous. When the hero stripped her in front of an en ...more
♥ℇmm♥
Aug 24, 2016 ♥ℇmm♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, romance, reviewed, josei
I deeply wanted to like this, but... The art is stunning, it's incredibly pretty and Shinjo is a very talented artist. Look at the cover! The inside looks as beautiful as the cover, if not moreso.
But the story is smutty and strange, both in a bad way. It was sort of creepy to me, the way the main girl character is treated. I mean, some girls try to drown her in public and no one says anything about it, including the love interest. That's not even the worst it gets. I might give Vol. 2 a chance
Denise
Oct 16, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2015
Re-reading another old favourite. While I always preferred the anime version since it focuses more on the band than just on the romance between Aine and Sakuya, I also enjoyed the manga version a lot. In fact I was a little obsessed with the series in both formats - to the point that I actually muddled through reading all 17 volumes of the manga in Japanese before I got my hands on a translated version.
Paula
Jul 10, 2008 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
this was an amazing series...it was fun, lighthearted most of the time and just so good i couldn't put it down. i was so looking forward to seeing the anime, and i'm so disappointed they didn't release it in the US. I'm hoping Viz will see the error of their ways and bring it over.
Lady Entropy
Dec 07, 2014 Lady Entropy rated it liked it
It's not bad, romance-wise. I had read this author's Virgin Crisis, but I do like the protagonist of SP marginally.

Of course, a lot of issues could be avoided if the main couple just...talked to each other.
Rossy
Sep 30, 2009 Rossy rated it it was amazing
This is not a perfect series, but if you're looking for a light and smutty story then this would be it. Personally i really enjoyed the dramatic volumes, made it more interesting.
Nisha
Feb 24, 2010 Nisha rated it really liked it
My first smutty manga. I think it just has a pleasant spot in my memories because of that.
Dani(elle)
Jun 13, 2017 Dani(elle) rated it liked it
If you like this author's series Ai Ore then you'll like this. It has a very similar vibe but I find the main characters more likable in this one. My biggest complaint is that the lyrics are probably better in Japanese. Oh well. Reasonably good music themed smut with no sexual assault (so far). What more could I ask for?
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

As a budding poet and lyricist, Aine is on her way to an audition one fateful afternoon. Absentmindedly stepping into the street, she barely avoids getting struck by an oncoming vehicle. Not only is the cute teenager lucky to be alive, but her brush with death turns out to be a date with destiny. The driver of the car just happens to be Sakuya, the charismatic and fabulously handsome lead singer for a band called Lucifer. In short order, Sakuya and his crew compose a song using AineÅfs
Katie
Apr 25, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, completed
see full review @ Katie's Corner

I've recently been looking through my blog and I found that I had yet to review Mayu Shinjo's works. So I thought why not to start in a kind of chronological order; with her longest and most famous works - Sensual Phrase.

I have read this particular work at least 3 times, and nevertheless, I am always intrigued and sucked in the story as if I was reading for the first time. In the beginning, I was thinking of doing several reviews for this one, but then somehow en
Laura (ローラ)
So, as I said I would I read through Sensual Phrase (Kaikan Fure-zu) by Mayu Shinjo. The story of Sakuya, a visual kei rock band singer (with a distorted past) and Aine, a high school girl. Upon a chance meeting (Sakuya almost runs her over) Aine becomes the lyricist for Lucifer, Sakuya's band -- and their relationship quickly develops into a hot & heavy romance.

I like this series but some parts are certainly better than others. Some of the angsty feelings between this couple get annoying af
Nicole Jean
Nov 16, 2014 Nicole Jean rated it it was ok
This was one of the first adult manga series I ever read, and I own the first 10 volumes of the series (which I am trying to sell, actually). So I have technically read this volume, but this review is for the series as a whole, not this specific volume.

I initially started off really enjoying the series because hey, smut, and I liked the concepts in the plot. But by volume 10 I had come to dislike the series, and I stopped reading.

The smut is good, but the characters and the first few storyline
Rhapsody
Jul 10, 2008 Rhapsody rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, manga-shoujo
For those who don't know, Shinju Mayo (the author of this series), is one of the main shoujo smut queens. Her male characters are always over-the-top aggressive and attractive, although Sakuya, the lead in this story, wasn't nearly as bad as some of her others.

The story is pretty simple. Aine, a lonely teenager, writes some poetry which falls into the hands of Sakuya, singer for a very popular band. The band needed some lyrics and he uses hers without permission, then later recruits her to be th
KARLA
Apr 04, 2015 KARLA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Sereneblaze
So this was the first work I ever read by Shinjo Mayu.

So Aine works some sensual lyrics that she plans to submit to a lyric contest. On her way to mail them she nearly gets run over by a blue eyed man in a very expensive car. While Aine is okay, unbeknownst her she drops her lyrics which the blue eyed man picks up. She later goes to a concert by the band Lucifer and who should she see is the front man? The guy who nearly ran her over and what is he singing? Her lyrics. Once the front man spots
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
I could not believe it when I found this. Okay, so though I liked Love Celeb I also hated it. Yet at the end, I couldn't help liking it. Kirara and Gin were very lovey dovey to the extent I wanted to puke. But I liked that they were devoted to each other. I remember thinking - Sakuya (who appears briefly in Love Celeb) deserves his own series. I got the impression that he had his own story to tell, and so when I found this, I could not help but think - OMG I knew it. Now I don't know why I'm exc ...more
Helena
Jan 26, 2009 Helena rated it liked it
Recommends it for: shoujo manga fans, masochists of both the literary and literal kinds
Can't believe I'm putting this on here, but it was on my list of recently (re)read things, so here it is. And for some reason it's actually listed on here, so again, here you go. This manga is horrible. Absolute rubbish. And so delightful in its rubbishness. It's like...Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty chronicles. I do believe Shinjo Mayu has taken it on as her personal quest to turn Japanese teenagers into masochistic needy little snots.
And you know, I can't get enough of her. XD
BTW This goes witho
Natalie
Jul 18, 2014 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Well, well... Sensual Phrase is a little on the naughty side. It's not repulsively graphic but it's definitely got a lot of teenage angst and hormones going on. I think I probably should have known that by the title alone. I liked the first volume, good thing I guess; since I've already bought almost the whole series.

No time is wasted getting Aine would be lyricist; and rock star Sakuya together. In fact it's a bit too fast for me and I wish a little more time had been taken with it but it is w
Sianeka
Apr 03, 2008 Sianeka rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, shoujo, current
A rock gal fan's dream-come-true story. Who wouldn't wish this to happen?

This initial book in the series introduces us to young Aine, a wanna-be songwriter who has her dreams come true when she meets and impresses lead singer Sakuya of the rock band Lucifer with her lyrics. Not only does she land a job in the field of her dreams, she catches the romantic attention of the sexy rocker. But even dreams come true have their darker side...

This is a satisfying bit of wish fulfillment. The ultra-lucky
Francesca
Oct 11, 2014 Francesca rated it liked it
I reread this manga because I remember loving it as a teenager, and now reading it as an adult I really only like. This manga is basically a teenage sex dream with a rock star. Plus Sakuya reminds me a little of Edward from Twilight in a bad controlling, aggressive, and possessive way on how he acts towards Aine, but I do know that they tone down his controlling and aggressive behavior towards Aine in the other mangas. The best way to look at this manga is a teenage girl's sexual awakening, and ...more
Katherine Petersdorf
Nov 08, 2013 Katherine Petersdorf rated it really liked it
I call it Kaikan Phrase, but that is because I speak Japanese. I loved this series, I thought that idea of falling in love with a rock star was epic, it made me want to write dirty songs and find a Justin timberlake. I have to say his blue eyes was cool, I knew he had Caucasian in him because of that, not because Japanese people can't have blue eyes naturally, they can my friend does, but because that seemed like a logical twist. I didn't like his brother though but his first idea on how to snag ...more
Emrie
Apr 01, 2015 Emrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of the first mangas I ever read, and the first one with any sexual content.

Aimei writes lyrics for a contest and ends up becoming the lyricist for the famous band Lucfier, known for their sexual lyrics and handsome lead singer, Sakura. Aimei and Sakura fall in love, but the world seems determined to keep them apart.

It's one of my personal favorites and after writing this review, I'm thinking of re-reading the series.

Basically, it's a steamy romance that lives out every girl's fanta
Snoogums
May 31, 2015 Snoogums rated it really liked it
This is review for entire volume of Sensual Phrase (Kaikan Phrase).

The story (different from anime) introduces Aine meeting Sakuya, the lead signer of the Lucifer band. The story starts rocky as Aine, brave and realistic falls for Sakuya, erotically attractive with dark and stoic personality. Aine has to struggles through the mounting obstacles that keeps coming and coming.

The lyrics are so hot (I sing the lyrics all the time) and Sakuya is not only dreamy but surprisingly mature. I even scream
  • Mars, Volume 15
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 1 (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • Private Prince , Vol. 01
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 04 (Midnight Secretary, #4)
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 6 (Alice 19th, #6)
  • Desire Climax, Vol. 1
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
新條まゆ in Japanese
Mayu Shinjo debuted in 1994 in Shogakukan's Shōjo Comic with "Anata no Iro ni Somaritai". She continued writing for Shogakukan until 2007, with her works appearing in both Shōjo Comic and their other magazine Cheese!. She left the company to go freelance citing a dispute over working conditions and abusive treatment by her editor.
More about Mayu Shinjo...

Sensual Phrase (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 2