Start by marking “Showing Off (Upside-Down Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Showing Off (Upside-Down Magic, #3)

Showing Off

(Upside-Down Magic #3)

Except... Nory's afraid her fluxing magic will go wonky and upset her father. Pepper is worried that her abilities as a Fierce will make all the animal
Published December 27th 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Showing Off, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sarah Sammis What's more important is that Nory learns to love her upside-down magical abilities through practicing for the song. Her self love is no longer…moreWhat's more important is that Nory learns to love her upside-down magical abilities through practicing for the song. Her self love is no longer dependent on his approval.(less)

Schizanthus
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s now six weeks into the school year at Dunwiddle and almost time for the school’s annual talent show, the Show Off, where each class prepares an act to show off their talents.

Nory desperately wants her Upside-Down Magic class to win, even more so because her brother, sister and father are going to be attending the show. This will be the first time she’s seen them since her father sent her to live with her Aunt Margo. I absolutely detest Nory’s father because of his inability to be proud of h
Brittany
I really like this fun, middle grade series.

It has great messages about acceptance and bullying and being proud of who you are.

I especially like learning more about Nory's family and the other teachers in the school in this book. I especially like the lessons on how people can code-switch or show two personalities to people. I think many young readers can relate to this.

This is nothing particularly spectacular, but it is cute and sweet and hits the spot when you want a sugary-fast read.

Satis
James
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amelie
Not much more that I can add to my reviews for the first two books in the series. Don't let the cutesy cover fool you. This is a well written middle grade series which is so much fun to read out loud.
Hunter
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great book
Marika
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
June's review: coming soon
Lizzy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun way to spend my summer
Marjorie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a delight. The characters are likeable and diverse, the lessons are heartwarming and realistic. I especially love that the school nurse is a man, yay for advancement of nongender normative jobs.
Chloe (thebookgiraffe)
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2017
I am such a fan of this series. There are diverse elements included in this that don't feel like they were there just to tick boxes which is wonderful (if you're looking for some middle grade for #diversitybingo2017 or just in general the main character is African-American, one of her classmates is Hispanic, and another classmate has a hearing aid). I really love how this series is about appreciating differences and understanding that you should nurture children's individual learning styles. I l ...more
Hillary
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for fourth graders! Touches on friendship, changing perceptions of self and others, and being true to yourself.
Ann
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Another cute edition to the series. The whole series is not exactly subtle in the messages of inclusiveness, but since I agree with those messages it wasn't a problem for me. I like how Nory's continuing problems trying to navigate her upside down magic and the impact that has on her family keeps the series grounded, while also being able to explore the lives and challenges of the other kids in her class. A fun series, and one I've been recommending to the the elementary school.
Meagan
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
I'm in love with this series and so are my students. I love the message that if you are different, it's not always a bad thing. Find people who can love you anyway, and embrace your unique self! These are such fun books, and easy reads. My students' favorite read-alouds so far this year.
zapkode
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – This book isn’t as geared on Nory and her school experience at Dunwiddle Middle School as the first two books. It is more geared on Pepper, Nory’s friend and her experience. I like how the authors chose to focus on other characters in the books and not just on Nory. This helps to keep interest in the book series in my opinion.

Pepper has upside down magic just like Nory and the rest of the children in their class. However, hers is more dangerous because it can cause animals to pan
Kimberly
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this with my eight year old daughter. We absolutely love this series and we’re excited to catch up with our favorite characters for book 3. In this story, the UDM students, as well as the entire school, are preparing a special act to perform for a talent show. The kids need to come up with a way to show off their unique talents as a group without causing anymore unwanted ridicule.

The act they prepare is perfect. It’s entertaining and definitely shows off all of their abilities. Bax cracks
Clio
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This review is written by Clio (age 6) and may contain spoilers. (Audiobook)

This book is about Nory an upside-down Fluxer and a very tiny girl named Pepper who was a fuzzy. Instead of animals loving her, she scared them. There was a mean girl who was the leader of the Sparky group and she is really mean, but Pepper becomes friends with one of the other Sparkies. Her name was Zinnia. They mentioned a Show-off and she learned more about it. Every class does a talent show. Nory is nervous because h
Karen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some people in school are afraid of the kids in the Upside-Down Magic class. Others just call them Flops. But Nory and her friends in Upside-Down Magic won't let that stop them. Not with a school-wide talent show coming up! In order to take the stage and make some magic, the Upside-Down Magic kids are going to have to band together... and find the right combination of talents to steal the show!

I love the reader for this series. I really enjoy listening and the story is great. A fun way to show k
I like Pepper a lot more than Nory (there is zero evidence that they are "best friends" as stated in the 4th book). She's more thoughtful and not as likely to hurt people by being impulsive. Her power really sucks (esp given her family!) but I'm glad she was able to find a practical and helpful use for it - seriously, the ability to rid a house of pests like that would be AWESOME. I hope she learns to control it in the future so she can at least be around animals when she wants.

I thought Carrot
Donna
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nory and her fellow students in the Upside-Down Magic class decide what to perform as part of the annual school show.

These books are a delight! Nory and her friends are kids I would have wanted to hang out with in middle school. I enjoy seeing how they all slowly improve on using their 'wonky' magic - Nory tackles a bird shapeshift, Pepper gets to pet a rabbit that's not scared of her 'Fierce' magic. I'm looking forward to see what happens in the next book.
Jaime
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our whole family sat down and read this together just like we did the first two in this series. We all enjoyed it and got many laughs together. A great magical children's story that also has a big lesson on what it's like being different or being an outcast. Children learn that it's ok to be different. In fact it's what makes us all special. We have decided to read the 4th one together when it comes out!
Alysha DeShaé
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so pleased with how this turned out. I didn't realize that there would be another book after this one, but I'm looking forward to it. Inclusion, acceptance, tolerance, anti-bullying - these books should be in classrooms and libraries for young (and old) readers everywhere. There's even a bit of "understanding that your parents won't always accept you" thrown in there, too, and a little touch on dealing with that by accepting yourself regardless of their acceptance (or lack thereof).
MaoMeow1035
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4th to 5th grade reading level
in this book, every body in the UDM class is taking tutoring classes to learn how to control their magic. Also, there is a talent show happening at the school. the Udm kids want to perform but they are worried that their magic would go wonky. And then there are some friendship issues between Pepper and Zinnia.
Erik
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zamboozle! These books (at least up to 3) just keep getting better. I enjoyed the first two books, but found this third to be even better. The growing improvement of the UDM kids makes for many happy moments, and the personal interactions are great. This book had me cheering at the end and left me with a nice warm feeling. Love this series and this book in particular. Can't wait to read more.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cute book in the series. My daughter adores it. I like seeing how both the main character, Nory, as well as a side character, in this book: Pepper, evolve to better understand their magic. I also like seeing how Nory is coming to realize that being different is not just okay, but fantastic. My daughter and I are both looking forward to reading the next book.
Teresa
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bode really likes this series - I think because of the cat on the cover - so we listen to it on road trips. It helps the time go by and the stories are cute. There's excellent diversity of characters and a lot of learning to own your unusual traits. But just for myself I wouldn't choose to read these - they're clearly for the elementary school set. I'll average my score and Bode's.
Kay
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
This third book of the series shows more character growth than the first two and was quite enjoyable while still teaching valuable lessons about people and their preconceptions and prejudices.

This entire series would be a great classroom read.
Katelyn Patterson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
When Nory realizes that it is her father that has the problem and not her.... well, it took me until I was 35 years old to come to that realization with my own mother. And I could have really used this book as a kid. These are just so good!
Mary Mason
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book in the series. Good for kids who feel like they don't fit in or are different. I like how it emphasizes teamwork and overcoming differences to be friends. I can see a child with a learning or other kind of disability really relating to the characters in this book.
Sharie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love Nory's realization about her father and the teacher's response!
Carole
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Continuation of the series about children and their teachers who have magical abilities. These students have not quite managed to control their abilities and often are well off the mark.
Tiffany Parker
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Children's book

The series kept our third graders well entertained. There were great messages of inclusion and perseverance.

Nory and her friends do not disappoint.
Cheriee Weichel
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I love what this series has to teach all of us about acceptance and finding and nurturing our own special powers.
« previous 1 3 next »
the frst 1 4 Jun 02, 2016 07:33PM

• Bridal Bedlam (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #23)
  • Santa's Little Helper (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #5)
  • Scarabian Nights (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #24)
  • Ben There, Done That (Sabrina The Teenage Witch, #6)
  • Sabrina Goes To Rome (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #53)
  • Prom Time (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #21)
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
  • Prisoner of Cabin 13 (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #11)
  • While the Cat's Away (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #25)
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • All That Glitters (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #12)
  • The Enchanted Egg (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #2)
  • Korgi, Book 3: A Hollow Beginning
  • Good Switch, Bad Switch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #3)
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and

Upside-Down Magic (6 books)
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic, #2)
  • Dragon Overnight (Upside-Down Magic, #4)
  • Weather or Not (Upside-Down Magic, #5)
  • The Big Shrink (Upside-Down Magic, #6)
“NO FLYING EXCEPT IN THE FLYERS’ COURT OR THE YARD. NO ANIMAL FRIENDS IN SCHOOL WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION. NO FLUXING WITHOUT TEACHER SUPERVISION. Today, Nory noticed a sign she had never bothered to read before. It read: DO NOT RIDE ON YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS.” 0 likes
“It” 0 likes