Start by marking “Across the River” as Want to Read:
Across the River

Across the River

Melissa Westemeier's funny, heartfelt new novel explores the surprising confluence of grace and redemption in Bassville, a quirky fishing town on the Wissipaw River. All the locals have a story to tell in the Bassville Pub, and Mona Butterfield--bartender extraordinaire--lends a willing ear. But when the town divides over a farmer's plan to sell his land to pay for his ...more
Paperback, 1, 295 pages
Published May 1st 2016 by Bridle Path Press

To ask other readers questions about Across the River, please sign up.
Karen On a cold, wet day, a hot toddy would be welcome warmth, but for those warm days filled with sunshine, a Leinie's from the cooler (or on tap) is…moreOn a cold, wet day, a hot toddy would be welcome warmth, but for those warm days filled with sunshine, a Leinie's from the cooler (or on tap) is definitely the way to go!(less)

Start your review of Across the River
Cassi Paslick
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. It’s set in a small town in Wisconsin, with changes looming. The story is filled with interesting characters, all drawn with depth, humor, and empathy. The author does an excellent job of sketching the rural setting, with the details following as the story unfolds. The characters are engaging and real, and following them as they reflect and grow during the book is so enjoyable. I very much recommend this book.
Cindy Cieslik
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books, so I purchased this one and before I could get to it, my husband read it and loved it. It's the story of Bassville a small town in Wisconsin and the charming, funny and sometimes infuriating people who live there. Set in the 1980's, the book reminds us of the common experiences we all share. A great read!
Jen Anderson
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though I'm a native New Yorker, I'm tired of reading novel after novel set in NYC. This is a realistic and fun look at a fishing town in the Northern Midwest. The characters are endearing and well drawn. You can't help but root for them even when they're going overboard.
Karen
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Melissa Westemeier has a talent of taking common experiences and turning them into books. In Whipped, Not Beaten she did this with a home cooking party business; in Kicks Like a Girl, martial arts played a starring role. Westemeier has done it again, this time with fishing. Of course, Across the River isn't just a book about fishing; it's a look at how different people handle changes in their lives. Small town life isn't as simple as it may seem, but there is humor and love within those ...more
shannon Bonfigt
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of our small towns.

The river, the town, the Characters, names of restaurants,nearby cities and towns all reminded me of Fremont WI. Where the White Bass fishing and Walleye fishing is a ritual . They are descended upon by Chicago fishermen and fishermen from all over , it's amazing. I plan to read the next book in this trilogy . Fun read
Tiffany
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A highly enjoyable read! The author deftly weaves the personal growth of the individual characters with that of the small town on the cusp of big changes to create a highly entertaining look at small town life and the folks that call it home.
Julie Sucha Anderson
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Across the River is set in a location where I felt complete comfort. A mix of the old and familiar along with the new, which more often than not brings conflict. Enjoyable characters. I truly enjoyed my trip to Bassville.
Common Household
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel met my biggest reading need: to get away to a small town with an excellently named river, and meet the people who live there, and enter into their lives. I think my favorite character was Grandma Nancy. This was a fun read.
Heidi
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book!
Melinda010100
Susan Konczal
is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2017
Melissa
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

• Your Money or Your Life
  • Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
  • Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15)
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)