Start by marking “Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  59,701 Ratings  ·  7,790 Reviews
In this collection of personal essays, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood reveals stories about life, love, and working as a woman in Hollywood—along with behind-the-scenes dispatches from the set of the new Gilmore Girls, where she plays the fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore once again.

In Talking as Fast as I Can, Lauren Graham hits pause for a moment and looks b
Published November 29th 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Talking as Fast as I Can, please sign up.
Sarah Yes, but they're not throughout the book, and Lauren does a great job of warning readers: "Hey! Spoilers ahead! Skip this section if you've yet to…moreYes, but they're not throughout the book, and Lauren does a great job of warning readers: "Hey! Spoilers ahead! Skip this section if you've yet to watch the new episodes"
So you can still read, or at least start this book without worrying too much about spoilers(less)

Leslie Wilkins
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lauren Graham narrating the audiobook was every bit of the awesomeness that I'd hoped for and expected.
Lola
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Gilmore Girls is one of the best contemporary TV shows I’ve ever seen, and I used to be quite addicted to watching them.

So I needed to read this memoir by the co-star of the show, Lauren Graham.

I can’t imagine anyone not liking this lady. She is so authentic, on set and off set. She feels so… normal. Fame definitely did not turn her into someone she isn’t. I admire that.

In this non-fiction book, she talks a little about her upbringing, college years, first auditions, first jobs in the mundane w
Penny Quotes
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In three weeks, I had binged seven seasons and four movies of Gilmore Girls - a feat for some and child’s play for others. Obviously, I was desperately in need of something to satisfy the big, gaping Stars-Hollow shaped hole in my life. You should be pleased to know that this book did just the trick. In true Rory Gilmore style, I am going to review this book as a pros and cons list.

Pros:
• The chapter titles: The titles were quirky and creative. They made absolutely no sense unless you actual
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, own
I love Lauren Graham!

I loved her in Gilmore Girls most of all! Duh. And I also loved her in Parenthood. But Gilmore Girls takes the cake, the old and the new! Woot!

I loved hearing stories about when Lauren was a child like living on the houseboat. I would loved to have seen that in real life! She has a lot of different stories that go back and forth from now and then. It was a little confusing at times but I guess that's why it's called a book of essays!

She even writes like Lorelai Gilmore so
Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
My one-sentence summary: Lauren Graham’s personality shines through a lot here, and that’s delightful, but she doesn’t really explore much of anything with any real depth, and that’s disappointing.

I came to Gilmore Girls late, even though I’m in the exact age bracket to have grown up with it. My parents didn’t have cable so I couldn’t watch the WB and by the time I got to college, where many of my friends loved the show, I found it a little off-putting. Part of that was because it wasn’t really
Cait • A Page with a View
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
So Lauren Graham basically IS Lorelai Gilmore :)

It was so much fun to read her short diary-type entries of the experience of filming the revival and to hear other bits of Gilmore Girls history. I wasn't as into some of the other parts of the book, but her writing was consistently upbeat and hilarious! It really sounded like Lorelai was just telling you about her day in a casual yet super caffeinated conversation.
Elyse
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Audiobook... a gift from Vio: Thank You Vio!!!

I did like the Gilmore Girls...but admit, I didn’t watch the reunion series. I was ‘done’ by the time it came around. I actually liked the show “Parenthood”- much better than “The Gilmore Show”, where Lauren Graham was part of the ensemble cast. I felt that overall the “Parenthood” had more substance.

Lauren Graham speaks ‘consistently’ soooo fast during the entire audiobook- it becomes draining.

There were a few parts in the beginning I thought were
Whitney Atkinson
I told myself I would hold off on reading this until I finished Gilmore Girls, but I gave up on season 7 because I just stopped caring about the characters and the plot, so I didn't mind going into this and getting spoiled. Even so, very little of it actually focused on spoilers on the show, but it offered a cool enough glimpse into Lauren's life that I'm glad I picked it up.

I'm not her biggest fan ever, and I haven't even seen Parenthood, so I just liked hearing about her backstory and her exp
Danielle
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, audiobook
**Before reading the book:

This is being released on my birthday! And 4 days after the revival premieres! This is already the best birthday ever :D

**Upon finishing the book:

This gets 5 stars. Yes I am being biased because I love Lauren Graham and Gilmore Girls (which is more than just a show to me, it's a religion, a way of life -- I know that sounds crazy but I've been too obsessed for too long, its unhealthy...just ignore me). But I genuinely enjoyed this. It was a fun, quick read, made even mo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Awwwwww this was so sweet. There were some parts where I found myself skim reading or skipping altogether (the fashion chapter coz BORING) but I really, really enjoyed this and I love Lauren's voice and sense of humour!
Vanessa
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as fast as I could, not on purpose, it's just that this book was compelling as a major Lauren Graham fan, being a late bloomer to the phenomena that is Gilmore Girls and becoming instantly obsessed, it was destined for me to read this memoir, this gave me everything I needed and more. Plenty of insights from her time during the Gilmore Girls days, I probably could have read a whole book completely devoted to dissections and discussions of the show but there was also other parts of La ...more
Kelli
May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, memoirs
I couldn't wait to get this audio!! *sniff, sniff, wail*

Recently I made what may have been a questionable parenting decision and starting watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix with my daughter. I was surprised to find it is not only a fabulous (and in our case, somewhat addictive) show with quirky characters and smart dialogue, but it opens many doors for age-appropriate conversations with my daughter about school, relationships of all kinds, community, etc. I love Lauren Graham in both Gilmore Girl
Riley
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was okay.
There were a lot of filler stories and she didn't start talking about Gilmore Girls until chapter 15.
I listened to the audiobook and Lauren sang way too much. Kinda irritated me.
There were a few cool behind the scenes info about her tv shows but nothing you can't find from interviews.
Calista
This was so good. It kept me laughing out loud and I wanted hear more of her stories. I like her voice as a writer. She had a bit in there about Old Lady Jackson that was funny and she needs to turn this into a whole book. Wonderful character.

She takes us behind the scenes of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood to share her experiences. We also have stories of how she made it in the business of Show. This made me miss seeing her on TV weekly. I hope they bring the show back again.

I felt like I was sit
Jenny
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read this after finishing Kendrick's "Scrappy Little Nobody" which makes for an interesting point of comparison. Both Graham and Kendrick are known for being intelligent, witty actresses and both write about the business of being an intelligent, witty, actress. In the comparison, however, Graham's book suffers. Graham writes throughout about the time crunch she was under, and it seems like the book was rushed out to coincide with the release of the new Gilmore Girls movies rather than because ...more
☕ Kimberly
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will be totally honest. I read 99.8 % fiction. Reading for me is an escape, a chance to travel from the comfort of my home. When I select a book outside the realm of fiction, it is more often than not a history book surrounding an event or era. So why did I listen to Talking As Fast As I Can? Gilmore Girls. The show began in 2000, I was a young stay at home mother of three and that hour spent in Stars Hollow was magical. Rory loved books; I loved books and Lorelai's addiction to coffee rivaled ...more
Nina
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I love Gilmore Girls and I love Lauren Graham! Some chapters from this book were a little boring and I just skimmed them but especially the chapters about filming Gilmore Girls and about how she became an actress were super interesting and so much fun to read :)
Ms. Smartarse
Having been a fan of the Gilmore Girls TV series, this book was such a treat for me. It could have tooootally been an account of the life and times of Lorelai Gilmore. Well OK, a slightly AU-type of account.

It's a religion

It has tonnes of humorous and cringe-worthy situations in it. There's plenty of thoughtful advice to be found here as well, generally in the person of one Old Lady Jackson. And then there is the hilarious amount of procrastination, when it comes to writing a book. Now that is relatable... up
Ron
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, humor
Lauren Graham writes as she speaks (as if I really know). What I'm saying is, I can clearly hear her voice while I read her words on the page. Her personality is evident. Maybe it's the voice of Lorelei Gilmore I'm hearing, but hey since she created the character, then I think it's at least a resemblance of Lauren in real life. The book is full of self deprecating, “don't take me too seriously because I wouldn't do that myself” humor. Behind that perky witticism, I see a very intelligent person, ...more
Amanda
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was so fun to read! I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan and have been for about 12 years now. From the 4 years spent watching reruns of Seasons 1-7 every morning on ABC Family from 10am-noon to the binge watching A Year in the Life on Netflix I couldn't get enough of the show, so this inside look told from one of my favorite characters was perfect. First off I'd like to point out how much this felt like Lorelai. Honestly Lauren Graham was born for this role, I couldn't imagine any other actress, a ...more
Jessica Thelander
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a huge fan of Gilmore Girls and Lauren Graham, I was quite excited to read this book. Finally! A chance to read about all of the behind-the-scenes goodies from the original run of the show, how everyone got cast, funny anecdotes and heartwarming stories about each of the cast members, etc. While we get that to some extent in the final chapter that includes diary entries from her time on the revival, the chapter about the original Gilmore Girls run was highly disappointing. Instead of a chapte ...more
Helene Jeppesen
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars.
This was really good! Lauren Graham writes about her life on a funny (at times maybe a bit too funny) note and I loved it. Being a fan of Gilmore Girls, it was amazing to get a backstage view on what it was like doing that show, but it was equally as enthralling to read about Lauren’s childhood, young adulthood and about her journey to become an actress.
The last bonus chapter in this edition I read added something special, and the very last page almost teared me up - Lauren wraps e
Myrna
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Enjoyable, quick read. I love Lauren Graham and Gilmore Girls! Not a long, personal story but does share some background on her early life and career. I could relate to pajama streaking and TP-ing houses. LOL. She also shares photographs, behind-the-scenes, and diary experts all encompassed in her fast talking narration like Lorelai Gilmore. Highly recommend the audio read by Lauren herself!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I'm a pretty solid fan of Gilmore Girls, but have previously felt disappointed in realizing that neither Lauren Graham nor Alexis Bledel are the characters they play in that show. Not quite as intelligent, and definitely not as well-read. I know, Gilmore Girls is a rapid-talking idealized landscape, but one I think I prefer to escape to without the grounding in reality.

So I was uncertain as to whether I would want to listen to this memoir, but having just watched the four "Year in the Life" epis
Diane
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Lauren Graham is another one of my girl crushes. I am a fan of the show "Gilmore Girls," and was happy to hear she had published a journal she wrote while filming the revival episodes for Netflix.

This collection of essays is amusing and heartfelt, just as I expect Lauren is in real life. My favorite pieces were her stories about the filming of "Gilmore Girls," and also what she's learned about writing (tip: allow yourself one hour a day without interruption to focus on writing — no internet, no
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO. GOOD.

I loved her writing in Someday, Someday Maybe. I love it here, too. She talks about how she started acting and everything that lead to the original run of Gilmore Girls as well as what lead up to the Netflix revival. Oh, and her reaction to the final four words! I won't spoil anything, but if you haven't watched the revival, don't read that chapter until you do. Also, I read this as audio and followed along with the book because there are some pictures she references to. She also talks
TL
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
"I know how lucky I am to have had such wonderful first and second acts in my career. I'm still not sure what my third act will turn out to be (Sexy Baking Competition Hostess? Flamboyant Peruvian Bingo Caller?), but if you happen to run into Betty White, tell her thank you.

Love Lauren Graham as a person and I adored her first book but this was just 'okay' for me... don't get me wrong, I did enjoy reading it. Just didn't 'love' it as much as I wanted to.

The old standby "Can't put my finger on i
Victoria
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I don’t recall coming across a more apt title for a book than this one. My goodness does Ms. Graham rapid fire her way through the audio version, it was exhausting to listen to a one-way monologue delivered a la Lorelei Gilmore. And while it was kooky and fun to watch Gilmore Girls’ episodes for the dialogue alone, it was slightly overwhelming to listen to just one side of the script.

Beyond the delivery I was also disappointed in the lack of substance. The early part of the book provides a bit o
Shannon (leaninglights)
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - a great read for any GG fan! I wanted much more about Parenthood which is why I docked 1/2 star (hey, it was in between Gilmore Girls!) but I loved all the show today bits and hearing about Lauren's life a bit. I didn't realize she was writing the film script adaptation for The Royal We and Jennifer E Smith is an editor for her! Lots of fun tid bits that I really enjoyed.
Mark my words
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Graham is Lorelai Gilmore. No, I mean she IS Lorelai Gilmore. She writes almost as you imagine Lorelai would write. Tangents and quirky humour galore.

But that ending. Don't you think it was more of a cliffhanger?

Hmmmm.
  • Scrappy Little Nobody
  • Where Am I Now?
  • Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History
  • The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
  • Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World
  • untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • Puddin' (Dumplin', #2)
  • Untitled
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Diaries, 1931-1965
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • The Careful Undressing of Love
Lauren Graham is an actor, writer, and producer best known for her roles on the critically acclaimed series Gilmore Girls and Parenthood.

She is also the New York Times bestselling author of Someday, Someday, Maybe, and Talking as Fast as I Can.

Graham has performed on Broadway and appeared in such films as Bad Santa, Because I Said So, and Max. She holds a BA in English from Barnard College and a
More about Lauren Graham

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“But life doesn’t often spell things out for you or give you what you want exactly when you want it, otherwise it wouldn’t be called life, it would be called vending machine.” 92 likes
“What with your phone and the Xbox and the taxi TV and that music player you wear on your arm and the headphones that look like donuts on your ears, doesn’t it make life so much smaller? If absolutely everything important is only happening on such a small screen, isn’t that a shame? Especially when the world is so overwhelmingly large and surprising? Are you missing too much? You can’t imagine it now, but you’ll look like me one day, even though you’ll feel just the same as you do now. You’ll catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and think how quickly it’s all gone, and I wonder if all the time you used watching those families whose lives are filmed for the television, and making those cartoons of yourselves with panting dog tongues, and chasing after that terrible Pokémon fellow…well, will it feel like time well spent?” 40 likes