Start by marking “Frostbite (Modern Knights #1)” as Want to Read:
Frostbite (Modern Knights #1)

Frostbite

(Modern Knights #1)

The debut novel of the Modern Knights urban fantasy series. The fast-paced story follows a young vagabond wizard pulled into a mysterious feud between a multi-national corporation and a winter demon out of Native American legends of horror.
Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages
Published July 2016 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Frostbite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frostbite

Tracey
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another big surprise, all the bigger for its being a very pleasant surprise. This was one of those books I regretted requesting almost as soon as it was too late, partly because I had (as always) such a backlog, and partly, quite honestly, because it was not apparently traditionally published.

It didn't take long, though, to discover that (despite a scattering of typos and editorial errors which hopefully got picked up) the writing was good. (I sincerely hope the homonym problems and so
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
With a missing fiancee in his mind, Harvard college dropout Colin Fisher wanted to get to his dying father as soon as possible. However, a dead car battery led him to stop at a gas station. But he was surprised to see the ice-cold body of the dead employer with a missing heart inside the store. Soon he was questioned by the police and was suspected of murder.

A high-profile lawyer got him out of his troubles, but not without getting something in return. Valente hired his services to find out who
Cora
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Did you see those caps? Yes, I'm that excited about it! Bader has written a great addition to the urban fantasy genre. His writing style has resulted in relatable characters who aren't all powerful (just like you and me). The resulting novel takes the reader on a wild ride from start to finish as you learn about Colin Fisher and his powers. Great stuff and can't wait for the second book!
Matt Wire
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun read! While it did remind me a bit of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, it has it's own unique voice that quickly draws you in and holds your attention. The characters are well written and the storyline is very compelling. If you are a fan of this type of read, you will love this book. This honest review was in exchange for a free copy of the book.
Joshua Bader
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Publishers Weekly's starred review of Frostbite:
Debut author Bader introduces readers to the Modern Knights series with an extremely impressive first novel of delicious urban fantasy with just a hint of romance. Colin Fisher, wizard, is a Harvard dropout who’s become a wanderer, searching for answers regarding his fiancée’s disappearance years ago. He and his car, Dorothy, have been traversing the present-day United States, but now he feels obligated to head home to Colorado to see his dying, es
P Leslie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got this book from net gallery for an honest review.

Absolutely loved this book: it was innovative, and captivating.

Colin is s loner and a drifter: his girlfriend's mysterious disappearance, leaves him seeking answers. His father is dying and he sets off on the road to see him. He parks up near a lake to stretch his legs and comes back to find his battery has died. He remembers a garage and walks towards it however, when he reaches his destination, he finds that he has stumbled upon a murder.
Danielle
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My first thought when starting this book was, "Damn." There is a reason this book got a starred review from Publisher's Weekly. It isn't just Urban Fantasy, this is Literary Urban Fantasy. The writing is so strong and beautiful it will make your heart hurt.

Now, onto the story. You have Colin Fischer, a man whose fiancee is missing and our good 'ol boy, Colin, just happens think it has something to do with a special book. Namely, The Necronomicon. Start the chills there.

Add in a murder, and poo
Donna Fernstrom
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, and found it to be a fast and fun read. I'm interested in the rest of the series, for certain. When you have the fae and the Necronomicon in the same world, you know things are going to get interesting.

The good: An easy read, with enjoyable, well-rounded characters, and an intriguing plot. Very interesting worldbuilding, and lots of shades of gray. Action and introspection are well-balanced.

The not-so-good: Skips and glosses over time in a slightly clumsy fashion at times, a
Parichita Singh
I got this book from Netgalley, and it really was a good one. Amazing pace, excellent world building and quite a different story. I totally enjoyed it. My only problem with the novel was that there were characters which could have been better utilized in the story, but probably author has plans for them in future.

Read the full Review here
Susan Underbrink
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A big Thank you to NetGalley and City Owl Press for the ARC for my honest review.

Wow-I haven't read a book like this one ever. It was engaging yet confusing. I couldn't put it down...I thought why am I reading this...but it was compelling...I kept reading. It ended oddly but I did enjoy the book. Several times I felt like it was number 2 in a series-but then I got it. I am not sure it is for everyone but give it a go. For me reading is all about enjoyment-and hopefully this one would do that fo
William Howe
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Urban horror-fantasy

I originally gave this 2 stars, but I came back and finished it. Maybe I wasn’t ready to read it, or maybe the beginning is too indulgent. The latter part of the book starts ticking along nicely.

Proofreading is not optional. Too many times the wrong word cluttered an otherwise good sentence. Synonyms are the bane of good writing, and spellcheck will not save you.

I liked where the book ended far more than where it started. Dresden-y with more of a subtle horror thing.
B. Hughes-Millman
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-books, magic
I really love this novel. I selected this book because I saw all the great reviews. I wasn't disappointed. Bader has done a lot of work to set up a suspenseful, enticing, thrilling novel with great characters you'll love. I was glued to the pages, laughed, bit my nails and found myself glued to the page.
Jennifer Kellie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found the writing style hard to follow, it jumped all over the place. I've read all the Harry Dresden books, and naturally compared this book to them. The main character seems to just luck into everything, he himself doesn't bring anything to the situation. It felt like it ended mid sentence and is not self contained at all. It pretty much requires that you read the next book.
Dick SantaCruz
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkable story

Very creative. Characters are well developed and interesting. Best integration of Christian spirituality i have read. Looking forward to the next book.
Joe Slavinsky
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent debut. Bader obviously owes a lot to Jim Butcher, among other urban fantasists, which he gratefully acknowledges, at the end of the book. Colin Fisher is somewhat similar to Harry Dresden, in that he's a wizard. He wasn't born to his powers, however. He came about them under mysterious circumstances, that he can't quite remember, except that it cost him the love of his life. He also carries on internal conversations with either his subconscious, or he's possessed. The answer to that qu ...more
Penny Noble
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since his fiancee, Sarai, went missing, Colin Fisher has been wandering around, at a loss. He wants to find out what happened to her, and all he knows is it has something to do with his copy of The Necronomicon, the voice in his head, and a locked room. Now his father is dying and Colin is headed to see him one last time. But, on the way there, he gets involved in the aftermath of a murder. As a drifter, he is of course the one the police suspect. But, things take a turn for the bizarre whe ...more
Penny Noble
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Christine Karmelreads2665 W.
Received this book for free for an honest review.

This is my first book by Joshua Bader and I was pleasantly surprised as this is not the typical type of reading that I enjoy. He has managed to write a story that tickles mind by introducing the likes of wizards, assassin's, witches, ancient evil, the Fae and trolls.

The book is set in the here and now but let's you know about things that go bump in the day and night.

I started reading in the afternoon and took a break for a nap and finished it befo
Sarah Wayne
I did not finish this book. I got to page 66 and although it was a great book about Wizards and magic and extremely well-written in a contemporary way, my have to in reading revolves around romance. This book had little to none that I had to read into at the point I decided to move on. I have a lot of books on my to-be-read list and like I said although I enjoyed this book I need to read something with romance in it to keep me interested. However I would totally recommend frostbite by Joshua Bad ...more
Catherine  Wright (Cat's Guilty Pleasure)
I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved the world that this author describe for us, the description was really great. I could actually see it in my mind as I was reading. I loved all the characters and the banter was phenomenal. This was an awesome story and I would definitely recommend this one to everyone. The author's style of writing isn't like any thing I've ever read, it is just brilliant.

Review done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For m
Zaizhuang
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on this book from the moment I read the description. The premise of the story sounds oddly familiar - modern day wizard playing detective, with hints of a larger story (mysteriously disappeared fiancée) thrown in. Yummy!

With tantalizing bits of Colin's history creeping in every once in a while, the book itself was oh so hard to put down once I started. A must read for fans of urban fantasy (think Harry Dresden)!

Thank you NetGalley for the early preview of the book.
Cory Rose
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-stuff
Better than most

Best urban fantasy I've read in awhile. Decent characters, good storyline, action, intrigue, all the things you expect from this genre but done right. This is definitely a notch above most of what you'll come across. Looking forward to the next one.
poppy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
i quite enjoyed this book was it was a good read and would try more by this author worth a read
Linden
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Colin Fisher, Harvard dropout and wizard, must defeat the ancient Wendigo, a monster who threatens the world with evil. A good choice for fans of Butcher's Dresden Files.
Randy Brown
Aug 28, 2016
Lorin B. Hawkins
Jul 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shadow Play (Black Magic Outlaw, #2)
  • The Foul Mouth and the Pit of No Return
  • Return to Shepherd Avenue
  • The Infernal Heart (Alastair Stone Chronicles #9)
  • The Wicked + The Divine: Christmas Annual #1
  • The Gospel of Sheba
  • Take the Body And Give Me The Rest (Soldiers and Gods, #1)
  • Promise (Caulborn #2)
  • A Voice in the Box
  • The Emperor's Pet (The Disinherited Prince #5)
  • Betrayal at Cleeve Abbey (Flora Maguire Mysteries #2)
  • Living With Your Past Selves (Spell Weaver #1)
  • New York Nocturne: The Return of Miss Lizzie (Miss Lizzie, #2)
  • Baking Powder Wars: The Cutthroat Food Fight that Revolutionized Cooking
  • A Long, Cold Winter (The Witch Who Came In From The Cold #1.1)
  • Soullord (Soulguard #2)
  • Damn Him to Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #2)
  • Rationality Zero
Delivery boy, psychologist, retired vagabond wizard, and father of three. I read and write all manner of speculative fiction, but have an especially deep love of urban fantasy.

Modern Knights (3 books)
  • Two Wizard Roulette (Modern Knights, #2)
  • Faceless (Modern Knights #3)
“You know the difference between Hell’s fury and a scorned woman? If you keep your wits about you, you might have a chance of surviving Hell in one piece.” 1 likes
“Be careful when delving into the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to steal your French fries. I may be misquoting.” I” 0 likes