Start by marking “Ravel: A Ripples in the Status Quo Story” as Want to Read:
Ravel: A Ripples in the Status Quo Story

Ravel: A Ripples in the Status Quo Story

(The Fate of the Fallen #2)

Revised & expanded edition as of 3/22/16. Please note that content, publisher, and other aspects of the work have changed.

For the past few years, Reese has hidden away in his home, refusing to venture out where he might have to face what reminds him of all that he’s lost. When Ashton, a human thief, breaks into his home one night, he doesn’t have a choice but to face t
Revised/2nd, 81 pages
Published April 1st 2016 by Phoenix Publications (first published December 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ravel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravel

Shin Mon Thway
Ok, I love this book wayyyyyy more than the first book. 😁 It factors in two, the first thing is I love that this story has such emotional depth. 😌 As much I love “wham bam thank you ma’am” scenes and we all know R. Phoenix is the queen of depravity, it’s nice to see two beings finding love and solace in each other’s arms in an epically F**ked up world. ☺ Reece is afraid to open up to people again after his lover’s death and Ashton managed to coax him out of his protective shell with his brand o ...more
Chelsea
4 hearts

I really enjoyed this story, it kept me enthralled until the end and I found the darkness of the world and the lightness of hopeful new love was a well balanced contrast.

This is a world where supernatural beings, or ‘supes’, sought a place among society, but then overran it. Now humans can either live in the slums with no income and no resources, or live as ‘pets’ or slaves to the supe’s.

“Those who had implemented the status quo had promised peace and safety for supernaturals. They had
Trio
I'm so very glad to have discovered this series! The premise of the story is unique, creative, and addicting. I absolutely refuse to read the blurbs for the books ahead, but I know something amazing is coming... Just the way R. Phoenix is setting up the characters, I can't wait till they meet up and clash!

Also, I really have to give huge props to Jack Noble. His gorgeous accent is incredibly appealing, and the smooth, steady pace of his narration is perfect for this story.

If you're a fan of para
Eugenia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is addicting.
Meg
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book free in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a terrific read. The two MC's are both in bad places. In a world where humans have been relegated to being nothing. Ash is just trying to survive with his best friend. A pretty hopeless situation. Reese, a well to do werewolf, is in his own kind of hell after the death of his partner. Though not a human, Reese is having a tough time going with the "status Quo". I think he will cause changes later on.

This story is written i
SoCalBookReviews
I loved this part of the Fate of the Fallen series. Ashton just might have moved up to being my favorite character now.. Sorry, Elias *hangs head in shame* In a world that hates humans and treats them like dirt or worse. His personality is like a ray of sunshine that never dims. Ashton is a thief, but only steals when it’s really needed, to keep him and his friend safe and alive. He tries to steal from the rich and ends up in the loner werewolf Reese’s home. Asher’s plans totally backfire on the ...more
AGandyGirl
*4.5 Stars* Wow I loved this!! I laughed...I cried...I fell in love with Ashton and Reese. Only wish it could be expanded to a full length book! ❤ ...more
Melissa
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This was an unusual story, well written with authentic, realistic progression with the characters. In this world, the paranormal have come out of hiding and haven taken over the world, leaving humans in poverty if they are lucky, food and/or slave if they are not (because they are treated like dogs, literally). However, Reese, a werewolf, is not like the others of his kind. He doesn't think that humans are less than or should be
Lisa The Novel Approach
R. Phoenix’s Ravel is a short story set in a big world. One of the things I loved about the premise of this novella—the thing that kept it from becoming status quo, in terms of its genre—is the alt-verse the author has created. Anyone who’s read a fair amount of spec fic involving shifters is familiar with its tropes: the shifters are either in hiding from the human population, or they’ve been integrated into society and live right alongside the mundanes, with rarely any variation of the two. Wh ...more
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮

I’m always curious about new authors and I read some great things about this series so I wanted to give it a try and soon jumped at the change to have it.

I have to say I was pleasurably surprised by this book, the story between Reese and Ash was engaging and well done. I was caught by the blurb but the MCs took my attention from the start and I cheered on them till the end.

Reese is a werewolf, he has an outstanding account with the past; although their first meeting isn’t the greatest, with Ash
Daniel Mitton
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews with a copy provided by the author for an honest review. Rated 4.5 out of 5.0 Love Bytes)

This is the second book I’ve read in this alternate world that the author has created, and I’m enjoying that world. Yes humans are sex slaves, food, and the prey in hunts, but it is a good story!

In Ravel, we meet a young human named Ashton. Ashton is a human on a mission. His childhood best friend, Leo, is very ill and needs care, but humans aren’t allowed in hospi
Suzanne Ellis
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was not what I expected when I was given a copy for an honest review. Generally, I am not a big fan of distopian worlds, where everything has changed to the point that it is difficult to put everything in its place in order to understand the story.
Ms. Phoenix took the world I knew and flipped it on its axis...making humans the hunted and supernaturals (vampires, witches, werewolves, etc) the top of the food chain. Humans live in slums and have the bare minimum and the supernaturals, o
Osale
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This novella is set in a world where humans and supernatural beings are not at war... because the "monsters" already won and humankind has being subjugated.

I found this approach very interesting, and we got to see two different sides of the story, the human living in miserable conditions, who became a thief in order to survive, and the werewolf in a comfortable social and economic position who doesn't really support the way humans a
Rachael Orman
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I have to say that I liked this novella better than the previous one, but I still didn't quite get how they all connected except for that they were happening in the same world the author had made up. Again I felt like the story wasn't complete, but it was more complete than the first one felt so I felt it was a step up, but I still felt like the whole story of Reese and his passed lover wasn't fully told.

However, I have to say that I once again enjoyed the world that was built and the wr
Jex L.
After reading the free short story, Bought, I assumed this story would be as dark...and in some ways it is but at the core it's a love story that takes place in an incredibly messed up world.

"Want to tell me why you're in my kitchen, little mouse, or should I just skip to playing exterminator?" Ash, a human, is caught stealing from Reese, a werewolf, in an attempt to save his friend's life. Rather than turn him over to the Enforcers, the werewolf helps the human out (which is a HUGE violation o
Grein Murray
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about Supes and the world left when they take a stand and push humans out of the lives they were used to. Not all Supes are bad, especially Reese, a werwolf that doesn't agree with the treatment of humans as merely slaves and meals. He was merely getting by in live until a would be thief was either brave enough or dumb enough to try to steal from him. There is a pull that they both feel for the other. I won't give any spoilers besides that. R Phoenix did a great job on ...more
Mimi
Paranormal Romance yes, but Dark Erotic NO

This is the second installment in this series and it lacked the dark erotism I was looking for this time around. Shifter romance, yes it hit all the points to a tee but WHERE IS THE DIRTY, DIRTY.
Anna Rita
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashton is a human in a world where humans are considered less than objects or sex toys for the pleasure of the other supernatural creatures. Needing to help his best friend, Leo, who is really sick, he decided to enter the home of a werewolf to stole something to sell for some money for the cures of his friend. But the plan wasn't for sure to get caught by the werewolf himself, Reese. Fortunately for Ash, Reese isn't like the other creatures, he's willing to help Ashton and his friend. But for t ...more
Kathryn Manzella
Loved it!

In a world where the supernatural rule supreme and humans are treated as nothings, either left to fly in slums, forced into slavery, or discarded like trash, two men find love with each other.
Ashton is a human, doing what he must to survive and trying to keep his best friend Leo alive. He chooses to steal from a well off house and gets caught by Reese, the werewolf homeowner. Unlike other Sups, Reese decides to help the thief and his ill friend, remembering how he lost his lover because
Allison
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2018, free
2.5 stars rounded up for the potential.

It was okay, there were time and story jumps that caused some whiplash, but the world was interesting. Not enough that I want to keep reading unfortunately.

Audio: Meh. The guy read more than he performed which is not my preference. Plus he sounded like he recorded in a metal box, very weird reverb. I did like his voice and accent. Although I don't really understand why he had an English accent based on the book.
Interrupted Reader
Reese and Ashton (and Leo). Novella. Completely different type of relationship than book 1. This is the softer side of the world. Story flowed well, although interactions between Reese and Ash are rather minimal. Looking forward to book 3 and especially book 4, which will begin to tie it all together.
B-, maybe reread
Kirstin
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reese and Ashton were perfection. A werewolf and a human. A supe and a thief.

In this world where humans are at the bottom of humanity's list, a werewolf finds a connection with one. And it's angsty and forbidden and so very exciting.

The build up was perfection. The narration by Jack Noble was sexy and dark and absolutely brilliant.
Angelica
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know the author states that these are stand alones but you get little bits of information that I think might play into the overall puzzle of the series when read in order. This book told Ashton and Reese’s story but it kinda felt a little rushed in the getting it on scene. Everything else was well laid out and that part seemed rushed when they were finally getting to the meat of it.
Lindsay
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Werewolf hotness

Ashton gets caught breaking into Reese's house, the attraction sparks and friendship grows between them.
Ashton is caught with his hands thieving Reese throws him out without explanation but regrets it.
A great story
Monique
** 3.5 stars **
Vicki
I didn't like this one as much as the first but I think it has important information and characters for future books.
Ed Davis
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just thought this story was boring. I thought this was supposed to be dark and sexy. I own the third book but I ‘m not sure if I want to read it.
John-Torleif  Harris
Ok, but I like the other books better

Reece and Ash are probably my least favorite couple in this series. I like this book as a part of the full narrative of the Fate of the Fallen series, but on it's own, it's just ok for me.
Ayla
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good short companion to the Fate of the Fallen series. I liked both Ashton and Reese! Ashton is sassy and endearing, and Reese is kind. I have an inkling that Reese and Elias are connected through Daniel and I do not know what to do with this! I am excited to read more from this world and these characters.
R. Phoenix has an unhealthy fascination with contrasts: light and dark, heroes and villains, order and chaos. She believes that love can corrupt and power can redeem. Her muse is a sadomasochistic slave driver who thinks it's terribly amusing to give her the best ideas when she just got comfortable and warm in bed, and she passes on that torture to her readers. She also tries entirely too hard to ...more

The Fate of the Fallen (7 books)
  • Bought (The Fate of the Fallen #1)
  • Recoil (The Fate of the Fallen #3)
  • Owned (The Fate of the Fallen #4)
  • Temper (The Fate of the Fallen #5)
  • Refraction (The Fate of the Fallen #6)
  • Sanguine (The Fate of the Fallen #7)