Start by marking “The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)

The Girl Who Saved Christmas

(Christmas #2)

JOURNEY TO THE EDGE OF MAGIC

If magic has a beginning, can it also have an end?

When Amelia wants a wish to come true she knows just the man to ask - Father Christmas.

But the magic she wants to believe in is starting to fade, and Father Christmas has more than impossible wishes to worry about. Upset elves, reindeers dropping out of the sky, angry trolls and the chance that C
Published November 3rd 2016 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Saved Christmas, please sign up.
Sarah Wade Not at all!! Definitely start with A Boy Called Christmas and they will probably believe even more. The story is so realistic with hints of all sorts …moreNot at all!! Definitely start with A Boy Called Christmas and they will probably believe even more. The story is so realistic with hints of all sorts of "Santa" type stuff. It's kind of funny, and light-hearted. It's a true origin story. There are so great life lessons in there as well- how to make lemonade out of lemons type stuff. As an adult I found it to be quite magical. I think they are the perfect ages for it. My 9 year old loved it. (less)
Mommooshka Yes, the story continues in sequence. The Boy Called Christmas is the first book in the series, with The Girl Who Saved Christmas #2.

Start your review of The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)
Paromjit
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A captivating and spellbinding historical novel for children set in the Victorian era featuring an appearance by Queen Victoria herself. A young chimney sweep, Amelia writes to Father Christmas asking primarily for help for her seriously ill mother. She is full of hope that her wishes will come true, but she is the only one. However, in Elfhelm, trouble is brewing with unhappy elves and trolls wrecking the North Pole with the intention of getting Christmas cancelled. Father Christmas is tested t ...more
Cheri
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Slightly less than one year ago, I read Matt Haig’s “A Boy Called Christmas” and fell in love with the story he had created. This year I’d hoped to finally get a copy of his “The Girl Who Saved Christmas” to read, I’d been so enchanted by his first Christmas novel.

”Do you know how magic works?
“The kind of magic that gets reindeer to fly in the sky? The kind that helps Father Christmas travel around the world in a single night? The kind that can stop time and make dreams come true?
“Hope.
“Th
Britt / Basically Britt
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2020, 2018
Wonderful! <3
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“Life is like a chimney - you sometimes have to get through the dark before you see the light.”

Amilia

Didn’t enjoy this one as much as I did A Boy Called Christmas.
It was still fun and cute and Christmassy. But some part where drawn out and a bit uneventful.
I did however love that Matt gave the great mister Dickens such an important part to play in this story. Who better to believe in the magic that Father Christmas requires?

These are fun stories and I will most definitely read them all, repeatedly ev
Bam cooks the books ;-)
*4.5 stars rounded up. The second installment in Matt Haig's Christmas trilogy is a treat for kids of all ages! Nikolas (Father Christmas) is having trouble getting Christmas off the ground, literally! First there is a troll attack that nearly destroys Elfhelm and cancels Christmas for that year. Then he finds there is not enough hope in the world to help him work his magic!

His most staunch believer, nine-year-old Amelia Wishart who lives in London, is losing hope. Her mother has died and she ha
Joanne Harris
Sweet and wise, like its predecessor, A BOY CALLED CHRISTMAS. Made to be read aloud - preferably to a child on Christmas Eve - but failing that, to someone you love, on a dark night, with wine.
Jessica
Utterly charming! Of course, you know me: any book that includes Charles Dickens as a character rises high in my esteem at once! And especially books about Christmas! About hope! And magic! And eating gingerbread!

I read the first book several years ago, I liked it a lot, but it was a bound manuscript and didn't have the art, and now I need to get a finished copy of that to read to the kids next year! They all loved this, and the art is darling!
Kristina
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute, festive and christmasy <3

I needed a story like that to cheer me up and bring back my faith in magic! Thank you, Matt Haig!
Jeanette
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-readers
What a wonderful children's book to place in a Christmas stocking! It is going to be a toss up between my granddaughter and grandson (9 yrs) as to who is going to read this book first. Perhaps my grandson, as he has a wonderful imagination and i can envision him being caught up in this story.

Even as old as I am, I must admit to enjoying the story. Loved the illustrations, which were plenty. It took me back a few years to my childhood, where i used to read similar stories. I rarely write what a s
Skip
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story of Amelia Wishart, the first child ever to receive a gift from Father Christmas. Her hope made that first visit possible, because with hope comes magic, as we learning in Haig's first book, A Boy Called Christmas. 10-year Amelia's mother is very ill, and Amelia is trying to fill her shoes as a chimney sweep, along with her black cat, Captain Soot. She writes Father Christmas for help, who cannot help as Christmas is sabotaged by the trolls. Then tragedy strikes, and Amelia is sent to a ...more
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elves and trolls, Father Christmas and Charles Dickens, sassy cats and a dash of hope - this book was wonderful. I've loved the two Matt Haig Christmas books I've read thus far (A Boy Called Christmas and this one) and their classic feel. They will transport you to another world and envelop you in the holiday spirit. ...more
Roxana Chirilă
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho, ho, ho! We're at some point during the 19th century, and the holidays are fast approaching. Father Christmas is ready to go into the world and give children joy and presents again, just like last year (he's been in business for one year only). But, alas, trouble happens in his village up in the north, and the elves are in trouble. He'll need a lot of magic to get out of this one...

At the same time, the first girl to have ever received a gift, Amelia, is in trouble of her own. She's very poor
Kathy
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice story
☽✰Madison✰☾
“Christmas isn’t a date, it is a feeling.”
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) A Boy Called Christmas ★★★★★
2.) The Girl Who Saved Christmas ★★★★
3.) Father Christmas and Me ★★★★

1.) The Truth Pixie ★★★★
2.) The Truth Pixie Goes to School ★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

representation: anxiety and panic attacks.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

This was so great. While I still think the first book is sup
Daina Chakma
This book is just as magical as the bright red cover!

It's not even snowy December. Yet I picked up this Christmas book because I was looking for some easy and first-pace read to get out of my reading slump! I am glad I read this book! This book is full of hopes and dreams! It will make you believe in magic! Maybe not real magic where there is an Elfhelm and the elves make Christmas presents for the children which are delivered by Father Christmas, but the magic which happens when you want someth
Cheryl
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supposedly this stands alone, but I recommend that you read the first one first.

I hate to give it only three stars, but even though it's creative and fun, there are too many flaws. I won't fuss about the ones in the text, though. There's a lot of like in Haig's writing and his ideas, so I don't want to discourage you too much from reading this. For example, you don't want to miss "Mr. Creeper, like all bullies, was deep down a very scared kind of person."

Illustrations similarly frustrating. For
vanessa (effiereads)
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect read for Christmastime.
Patrice
This is a very well-written story. It is not for the very young as there are some scary/dark happenings in the book. My best guess at the earliest age for this would be around 3rd/4th grade level (8-9 yrs-old). It is the story about Amelia what happens after she writes the first letter to Father Christmas, ever, and what happened in the ensuing 2 years. It wasn't pleasant for Amelia; nor did father Christmas have an easy time of it either. This is a story about having faith, belief in the imposs ...more
Leilah Skelton
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Matt Haig told us the story of the boy who grew up to become Father Christmas in ‘A Boy Called Christmas’, and now he’s delivered another wonderfully magical, festive gift. This is the story of Amelia Wishart, the first child ever to receive a gift from Father Christmas. Her hope made that first visit possible, and, just a couple of years later, her hope might just save Christmas itself.

In Elfhelm – a magical, bright, snow-covered town with its Toy Workshop, Bank of Chocolate coins, School of S
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I started this to get an idea of its level as a bedtime story for my just turned 7yr old.
I know its chimney sweeping careers, parent mortality and children's workhouses are realistic of Charles Dickens and Queen Victoria's era but knowing my daughter's sensitivity levels I decided to continue reading alone.
Adding in Trolls smashing up the North Pole to try and cancel Christmas this would be my daughters idea of a Stephen King novel.
That said as an adult I enjoyed it, the comments by Charles Dic
CarolynMarieReads
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a delight!! 💕🎄🎅🏻🌟

Being set partly in Victorian London, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that this book felt like it was meant for classics lovers!
There is a wonderful "cameo" from a very popular Victorian author (who's name rhymes with Sharles Pickens 😉📖💕), and another from a person who just happens to live in Buckingham Palace (who's name rhymes with Nictoria 😉)!
Matt Haig is so very clever with reinventing a story for Father Christmas and holiday traditions as a whole!
Heather Moore
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While this story contains more sadness than the first, it’s also is filled with hope, adventure, and good humor. By the time we finished, my 11 year old said that she now feels like she understands a lot more of what a workhouse was and what it must’ve meant to live in one. Learning about hard times in history can be disheartening for a child, but when they are introduced to these periods within a story woven with helpful characters and heroic acts it brings a much appreciated softness to the ha ...more
Jamie
I absolutely inhaled this little Christmas classic and enjoyed it even more than the first in this series, which I read over Thanksgiving week. I completely agree with some of the other reviews and jacket copy where it says if Roald Dahl and Charles Dickens teamed up to write a spry and spunky middlegrade Christmas novel, this would be it! I mean, who wouldn't want to read that while curled up next the Christmas tree?
This novel was playful, fun, a bit silly, but full of heart and hope. I absolut
Elwen
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one really reads like a Dickens novel (he is even in it), but with its own twists and turns. The idea of hope being the source of magic was beautiful and the story itself full of it. To see light in the darkest of times is not easy but this book encourage you to try at least <3
Marie the Librarian
Awww i really liked this
Michelle Ryles
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed-shelf
It's the time of year that every adult looks forward to: when we can awaken our inner child and read a Matt Haig Christmas book. I'm running a little behind with my Matt Haig Christmas series as The Girl Who Saved Christmas was released in 2016, following hot on the heels of the bestselling A Boy Called Christmas from 2015. I treated myself to signed copies of both beautiful sparkly books.

So we return to the magical village of Elfhelm where Christmas is under threat, not just by the trolls who a
Laura Frunza
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Detailed review to follow.
evelina
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Just as sweet as the previous in the series! If I read it when I was a child I would probably have loved it.
Rose English
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
Re-read before reading Book 3 so this was Book 92 of my Reading Challenge

A wonderful Christmas Treat. Book 01 of my 2017 Challenge

This wonderful Christmas story follows on from

A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig

A Boy Called Christmas

Although you may be glad to know it is a book that could easily be read as a standalone, as there are lots of references to the story of Father Christmas from Book 1.

The story is set in the mid 1800's and after one disastrous year when there was no Christmas at all, this time Father Christmas is

• The Christmasaurus
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • The Miracle on Ebenezer Street: The perfect family adventure for Christmas
  • How Winston Delivered Christmas: A Christmas story in twenty-four-and-a-half chapters
  • Enid Blyton's Christmas Stories (Bumper Short Story Collections)
  • The Velvet Fox (The Clockwork Crow, #2)
  • The Day I Fell Into a Fairytale
  • The Danger Gang
  • Pirate Stew
  • The Night I Met Father Christmas
  • When Santa Fell to Earth
  • Murder on the Safari Star (Adventures on Trains #3)
  • Let Your Heart Be Light
  • The Ten Riddles of Eartha Quicksmith
  • The Christmas Doll
  • The Haunting of Peligan City (Potkin and Stubbs #2)
  • I put a spell on you...
See top shelves…
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more

Christmas (4 books)
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)