Start by marking “A Girl Named Calamity (Alyria #1)” as Want to Read:
A Girl Named Calamity (Alyria #1)

A Girl Named Calamity

(Alyria #1)

Not in publication at this time

I was a simple farm girl living in the magical land, Alyria, where men ruled and women only existed.

Call me sheltered. Call me naive. I was probably both. I never expected to be the key to Alyria's destruction.

The journey I was on wasn't only one to save me. But one where I had a lot of learning to do. With men. With magic. And with myself.

Bu
Published July 13th 2016

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Named Calamity, please sign up.
Danielle Hi, Misty. I just posted on my facebook page last night, that I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to have it out in February.
You can follow my updated info …more
You can follow my updated info here: https://www.facebook.com/authordaniel...

Or I am always active on Goodreads :)(less)

Start your review of A Girl Named Calamity (Alyria #1)
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
** First of all: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and I’m really thankful Danielle Lori gave me the opportunity to read her book!! =))) **

Okay, now that this is settled we can go to the fun part! The actual review! XD

I have to admit that this book really surprised me! When I began to read it I didn’t have any expectations and I had absolutely no clue in which kind of direction this would go. Sure, I read the summary but in the end it didn’t provide me with an awful
Snow

4.75 "Calamity" stars

Calamity is a simple farm girl, living just as simple as she's ever been aware of with her grandmother in a simple cottage outside of the city. She's innocent in every aspect there is, she's sympatically naive and open-hearted, sincere yet also wise beyond her age. She's known of her mother but she has never known her until one day , she showed up sick and tried to take cuffs from Calamity's hands. She had always had them on, never took them off and she never new their purpo
Pearl Angeli
3 Stars

Reading A Girl Named Calamity was like reading a combination of Throne of Glass and Shadow and Bone. It simply has a lot of potentials. I loved the plot, the world building, and the magical concept. It's almost perfect, but then the main characters happened and they were difficult to like.

The story begins when Calamity discovered that she has a hidden magic and she is the key to the destruction of Alyria. To prevent such demise, she was sent away by her grandmother and urged her to go to
Jennifer Kyle
Fantastic story!! Review to come jumping into the next book - Weston and Calamity and the seal what a journey!!
Vicki
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once I began this story I was pulled into the entire conflict, magic, and excitement of Calamity and Weston. Never sure exactly where I wanted their pact to go. I followed along with their bad decisions, quarrels, and dangers. The world was amazingly described. I could feel the blood forest and the cursed mountain pass. Each destination was well written and provided an entire new set of problems.

Sometimes I grew annoyed at calamity's inability to stay out of trouble. Reckless and harebrained mo
Carvanz
Wow! I don’t even know how to write a review for this! It cannot be summarized nor can it be wrapped up in a few paragraphs. I will say that this is one heck of a ride! From the very first page to the last Ms. Lori takes you on a cross country trip the likes you have never known.

Calamity doesn’t know what her future holds. She’s just kind of letting it push her along without any fight or struggle, although deep inside she knows the life before her is not the one she would choose. Then there’s a
Dianne
After her mother walked out, Calamity grew up sheltered from the harsh realities of life under the watchful eye of her grandmother. She was an innocent, naïve to the ways of a land where men ruled and women were carnal chattel for the taking. And then, her mother came slinking back into her life, a true thief in the night and from that moment on, Calamity’s life would echo her name as she must run, alone from unknown evil who knows she exists and will stop at nothing to possess her and the power ...more
Lučka
I don't think I can put together a decent review. The cliff just killed me and all I want is to jump into the next one. But then, I wouldn't be able to sleep....

Okay. I'll try.

The beginning was a bit weird for me. It felt as the story began at Chapter 3 and it didn't make any sense to me what's going on. Still, I was immediately pulled into the story and couldn't put it down. Except when real life interrupted. *eye roll*

The plot is really interesting; mysterious, filled with bloodshed and violen
Juanita
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
I really liked this one or I should say I enjoyed Weston.
If you are into paranormal fantasy then this a book for you.
It ends with a cliffy....so here hoping for next to come soon
Louise
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason I love fantasy books and there's a reason I love romantic books but put them together and you get this. A brilliantly wonderful fantasy story. A story that has me so compelled that I had to go straight to Amazon and download the second book.

I can NOT get enough. I'm in love with this series.

Here's what I loved,

Weston - now Weston is my kind of character, you know he's hot, he's a bit of a bastard, he's an assassin so he's VERY alpha and shows that throughout, he has the confiden
Lien
1. A Girl Named Calamity | ★★★★★
2. A Girl in Black and White | ★★★½

Holy shit! This is why I love fantasy.
5 phenomenal Stars!
Jolly Per
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was not sure what I was getting into when I started reading this book but I went along for the ride anyway and, well, what a ride it was.

A Girl Named Calamity was about a farm girl who's life had changed. She needed to leave home when she discovered that she's the key to Alyria's destruction. Her adventure began with the help of a hired assassin, Weston, to reach her destination. But the question was, can he be trusted?

West
sumi
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Full review now here!!!

I really enjoyed this one! I had a few issues with it, but overall it was a very enjoyable and addictive read!

Things I liked!

-It's pretty fast paced, addictive and short, meaning, you will complete it in no time and I was really invested in the story as well!

-Calamity was a good main character. I say good because she had her stupid moments, sure, but I loved when she stood up to people. (even if it was an epic fail sometimes lol)

-The banter between Calamity and Weston is h
Elle♣
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
**Thank you to the author for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest opinion**

Don't let my low rating put you off! The author, Danielle Lori, knows how to write a fantasy novel. It was well thought through and it seems like she knows where she wanted the story to go, which helps the reader to understand what is going on.

The mention of an Assassin intrigued me, but he ended up being one of the main reasons I did not enjoy this book. He was your typical cocky, dominant control freak. I wanted
Tina H
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the story. Parts of it were a little confusing but overall it was a good read.
I actually like Weston. I am not sure if I am supposed to but I have a feeling about him and oh, how I hope I am right.
However, that ending is just plain mean!! Lol!!
I look forward to finding out what happens.
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
Sentranced Jem
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

danielle lori   Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance

new
But I wasn't alone. I had an escort. One I wasn't so sure about. But one I
Songbird Bookworm
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Going into this book I was really excited but unfortunately my expectations weren't met. What started of as a mysterious and thrilling story soon turned repetitive and somewhat boring. Personally I didn't like either of the two main characters and found Calamity to be rather irritating and foolish. Weston also seemed overpowered and I never really felt like our characters were in ever real danger because of this. I also had a problem with their relationship as a whole, it was unhealthy and almos ...more
stumbleduponabook
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
GAH! That ending was brutal! I'm still in shock. I knew something was going to happen but I never expected that.

I really loved Calamity. She's in a situation she never once thought she'd be in. At times she can be very vulnerable, and my heart would ache for her and the things she had to go through. But she is also fierce and takes crap from no one. Especially Weston.

Weston, well, he's an enigma. One minute I think I might have a clue about his motives and who he really is underneath that rough
Jacqueline Francis
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!!!!

I'm going to be honest. I had to brace myself before I read this book because it basically contains all the things I try to stay away from in books:

1) Paranormal/ fantasy
2) Blood and gore
3) Brutish alpha male
4) And my worst: CLIFFHANGER!

I knew it all of these things going in so I started reading with a bit of trepidation. it took me all of three pages to get hooked, because surprisingly, this book contains everything I love as well (how weird)

1) Strong female MC (Just so you know,
L. Jacobs
5 STARS

If I hadn't checked out this author before hand then I would never have guessed that this was a debut. I freaking LOVED it. Slow build up to the romance portion but everything else kept me so entertained that it didn't feel like it was JUST about the romance. The world that this author created was extremely fascinating, I don't read a lot of fantasy so I'm definitely not an expert on the genre but I was really impressed that this felt so different from what I usually read. Calamity (if
Michelle
5 Stars!
Couldn’t put this down once I started it. I loved it!! I’m off to the second book because this one ended on a huge cliff!
Sheila Schwartz
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to begin to tell you how simply unbelievably amazing this story is! Ms. Lori deserves praise for the remarkable and totally engaging story that whisks you away from the mainstream to a land of magic and peril! Her characters are so exceptionally written and descriptions so fleshed out that they are literally touchable, with palpable emotions and dialogue that is so adorably snarky and firey that you laugh out loud and shake your head in wonder that this is the written word ...more
D.C. Triana
I tried to swing my leg around him, but he grabbed my thigh in a firm grip. I was mesmerized while I looked at his tan, rough hands wrapped around the smooth skin of my upper thigh. I hated what this man had done to me….but I couldn’t stop my body from reacting to him.

A Girl Named Calamity brings you back into the realms of Willow and Game of Thrones where magic encompasses the earth and evil lurks in the shadows to grab at it. It throws you into a world full of magical beings, assassins, mage
Klancy
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to Danielle Lori, the author, for providing me a copy of A Girl Named Calamity in exchange for an honest review.

Thinking back on my experience reading this book, the only way I can really describe it is simple: simple plot, simple sentence structure. The story felt a little disjointed and choppy because of the simple sentence structure in my opinion, but it wasn’t too distracting.

The real distracter was Calamity’s habit of stating sensory details and feelings as fact. I just remember b
Harmony
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I give this a solid 4.5 stars. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

At the beginning, we met a farm girl named Calamity (with a name like that, I assumed she wasn't going to have an easy laid back life). She lived with grandmother and was told she had to wear two silver cuffs for protection at all times. So, of course, one of them comes off and she must flee. She doesn't know what she is or the danger she is in, only that she must leave.

At first, I did not really like Calamity.
Aly
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was different and a lot of fun to read. Calamity loses everything she has ever known but this does not stop her. She has magic she didn't know about. There is a little bit of many things in this book that makes it good. I don't always like cliffhangers but I knew it was coming on this one.
You should see what you think of this book. * I received a free copy of this book and this is my honest review*
Sarah Rose
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars

Thank you to Danielle Lori, the author, for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'll be frank: I didn't expect the book the be as good as it was. First off, the novel features heavy gore, blood, and explicit sexual content so be aware for younger readers. Anyway, yes. It was fantastic and now I am dying to read the next one (whenever that may be, but hopefully soon).

The main character, appropriately named Calamity, is a naive young woman living in a smal
Wendy
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You guys! YOU GUYS! This book is freaking UH-MAY-ZING!
I want to start just squealing about all the things that I liked but I'm going to be an adult and actually tell you something about it first so you know where we're at.

Our main character is... a girl named Calamity. I bet you didn't see that one coming :P
She's lived a very sheltered life with her grandma (translation: she can't fight, is naive and kind of lost out there (which makes her really relateable for me, lol!))
One day she's flung i
Carrie
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
"Who are you?"
"Name's Calamity."
"Course it is."

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review in YA Buddy Readers Corner Group. Thank you for the opportunity!

I stayed up until 2:30AM to finish this book, mainly just to be done with it. This sounds horrible, and I'm sorry, but it's true. My actual rating of this book is 2.5, and 3 stars is generous.

Minor spoilers ahead... I'll try not to spoil any of the main plotlines and hide them with spoiler tags, but a lot of this you shou
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Bitter Heat (Singed, #1)
  • King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)
  • King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)
  • Dirty Halo (The Forbidden Royals Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silver Devil
  • Queen of Dreams (The Masks of Under #3)
  • Beautifully Cruel (Beautifully Cruel, #1)
  • Choosing Her Alpha
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • Master of Salt & Bones
  • Marco's Redemption
  • King of Blood (The Masks of Under #4)
  • The Favor
  • Equal Parts (Supernova, #1)
  • The Divorce (The Relationship Quo, #1)
  • Recaptured by the Crime Lord (Crime Lord, #2)
  • The Alpha's Oracle (The Oracle #1)
  • Kiss of the Damned (Fallen Cities: Elisium, #1)

Danielle Lori's novels incorporate morally questionable heroes, electric hate to love relationships, and sometimes sweet but mostly sassy heroines. She has written in both the fantasy subgenre as well as contemporary, but will never stray from romance.

A normal day for her includes coffee, bodice rippers, and 1990s chick flicks. She lives in small-town Iowa with her husband, son, and too many dogs.

Alyria (3 books)
  • A Girl in Black and White (Alyria #2)
  • A Girl with a Tragic Ever After (Alyria #3)

News & Interviews