Start by marking “Hiding in Unnatural Happiness” as Want to Read:
Hiding in Unnatural Happiness

Hiding in Unnatural Happiness

Wandering the forest of our hopes and dreams, we desire more than to survive - our hearts long to thrive. The premium we seek is happiness, now the ultimate consumer product.

"Happiness is no laughing matter." Relationships, society, and the political economy should at all somehow generate enduring chunks of it.

Is the hunt for sustainable contentment just confusion - a kale
Published 2015 by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International

To ask other readers questions about Hiding in Unnatural Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding in Unnatural Happiness

Start your review of Hiding in Unnatural Happiness
Willian Molinari
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: live-with-less, text
I received this book from a monk while walking on the streets of York (UK) last year. I gave a small donation, and he told me to keep the book, so I decided to read it. He said it was about meditation, but it's about yoga in general (not the physical practice).

I was not aware of anything related to Bhagavad Gita, Krishna, or anything like that, so it was an enjoyable reading for me. I'm a minimalist, so I tend not to follow the flow of the materialists, and most of the book makes a lot of sense
Samantha Lillie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Reading this short, contemplative book at a time when half of Australia is burning, when our country is being painfully asked to change, to do things differently and somehow fast-track itself out of intentionally destructive political engineering that has successfully thwarted all attempts at addressing changing climate after decades of warning, there lies a very simple message: 'a wisdom culture is our greatest need'. It articulates (without solving) that we need spiritually based economics tha ...more
Christopher Gutierrez
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found "Hiding in Unnatural Happiness" to be a below-average read. I believe Devamrita Swami is very knowledgeable; however, I do not think he is an influential writer. I would be interested to see Swami work with a ghostwriter to make a novel that is easier to follow and provides adequate context for the topics introduced. I frequently felt that Swami would not explain many concepts or issues fully. Additionally, the abrupt transitions between subtopics and chapters gave off the impression tha ...more
Roland Martinez
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm torn not giving this one star. The premise is good. The book states that human beings can't find happiness with material pursuits and the environment can't handle the way we're living. But then it takes a turn bragging that Indian Krishna texts have known this for centuries and basically bragging on Krishna without giving any practical advice. It was annoying and painful and if it were 100 pages longer I'd have given up but I pressed through to buy me time to read one of my 3000 page monster ...more
Jason
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a nice short exploration of the intersection of modern problems (economic, environmental, social, spiritual, etc.) and the ancient Krishna texts. Devamrita Swami shows in easy to read passages that these modern problems were anticipated and talked about in the Bhagavad-gita. The main issue we face seems to be that of methodology. In resolving Arjuna's problem in the Gita, Krishna says "Arjuna, I don't care about being religious. Let's be scientific. You think you have surpassed mund ...more
Adam Goddard
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5/5
Lakhan
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
1st Book I have read. This gave an insight to perceive happiness differently
Ben Saff
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received this slim book from some yogis on the street in Center City, Philadelphia last year. It had a bold title and was only 100 pages or so, so I figured I should read finally read it.

Reading this was kinda like stepping out of real life for a bit, and observing it from a higher view. Nothing too lofty or high brow, just a little meditation — I was able to take a look at what I'm pursuing, what I think will make me happier and decide whether it really would. Will getting that new job in a new
An
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This book touched base on a lot of controversial topics about our current reality and the possibly of the current reality.
I could not help but feel that this book aim was to introduce the practice of yoga. I have read many self-improvement, self-realization, and religious books both fiction and non-fiction; like many other books with same message, its primary messages carried good intent.
Personally, I would recommend this piece of reading for open-minded people. As stated before, the topics in
Spolluck
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first few chapters of this book. I agreed with much of the author's views -that materialism is not the key to happiness and we are more than our material selves- but midway through the book, things started going downhill.

In my opinion, the goal of the author of this book was to convert people to his belief in being a yogi and believing in krishna, gita, etc... He constantly quotes from his religious yogi books, attempting to infuse in our DNA an unwavering belief in krishna. I inte
Mark R.
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
***1/2

In "Hiding in Unnatural Happiness," Devamrita Swami gives readers, and potential yoga novitiates, a basic breakdown of the fundamentals of Hare Krishna thought regarding material and spiritual happiness.

It's a well-thought-out introduction for those unfamiliar with Krishna thought. These folks make up the book's target audience, though I suspect "Hiding" could also act as a nice refresher for just about anyone.

Devamrita Swami references Indian philosophy, particularly the chief piece of K
Derek
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book on a day when I allowed myself to be swept up in the events of the day, existing in the flow rather than trying to control all the details.

Reading it, I felt that it touched a lot of the hangups my mind has been stuck on lately. It definitely inspired me to start reading that copy of the Bhagavad Gita that's been sitting on my shelf at home.

My favorite part was near the end when the concept of dogma is discussed, and the word 'dogma' is redefined outside the religious contex
Amakaya Jackson
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, have read a few times now! It really changes the way you think and perceive the world. The author Devramita Swami is very intelligent and you can tell by the way he writes, the language is very flowery yet intellectual. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is on a quest for happiness, looking for some relief from stress, or just a fresh perspective. It’s a must read!
Malony
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The author’s diagnosis of the problems with modern materialistic culture are thoroughly thought out, but the solutions are incredibly lacking, with no clear explanation in the text of what is Bhakti-yoga. You can’t make a compelling philosophical argument by repeatedly saying “just accept Krishna because Krishna’s such a cool dude yeah Krishna!” Still worth a read for the diagnosis.
Brittany Greene
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dorota
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Krishna teachings explained through economics, politics and science. Incredibly insightful
Gaura-Arati Dasi
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly insightful and thought provoking read. Based on latest research and ancient knowledge, loved it.
EvanHeaven

• Bhagavad-Gita As It Is
  • Politics and the English Language
  • Freedom Is a Constant Struggle
  • Never Can Say Goodbye: Writers on Their Unshakable Love for New York
  • Beyond Beautiful: A Practical Guide to Being Happy, Confident, and You in a Looks-Obsessed World
  • How to Be a Good Creature: A Memoir in Thirteen Animals
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals
  • Goodbye to All That: Writers on Loving and Leaving New York
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • 101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think
  • The Human Element
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do: Own Your Power, Channel Your Confidence, and Find Your Authentic Voice for a Life of Meaning and Joy
  • How to Make Sh*t Happen: Make more money, get in better shape, create epic relationships and control your life!
  • The Descent of Man
  • Dear Friend, from My Life I Write to You in Your Life
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)