Start by marking “A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)

A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight #7)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  2,003 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
On a cold, miserable night in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, a night that wouldn't feel so unusual if it wasn't the Fourth of July, an antique wooden boat runs full-speed into a line of old railroad pilings in the shallow waters of Waishkey Bay. When Alex McKnight helps rescue the passengers, he finds three men. The driver is out cold, the other two are dazed but conscious. W ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Stolen Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stolen Season

Jim Nolt
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading "A Stolen Season" by Steve Hamilton I'm tempted to drop down a notch all books I ever previously rated... or at the very least to petition for a new A+ rating. This book, the seventh in Hamilton's Alex McKnight series is, in a word, exceptional. It is written with believable and convincing dialogue, it is well-paced, and it is injected with perfectly timed suspense... driving the reader forward... impelling her/him to turn page after page after page. Yet there is more to this story ...more
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Since the very first book in the series, A Cold Day in Paradise, I have been a huge fan of the Alex McKnight series. Part of the reason is Steve Hamilton’s excellent, terse writing. However, it’s the character of Alex McKnight that really intrigues me. McKnight isn’t like all those “smart” P.I.s out there. He often makes stupid decisions, reacts impulsively, and uses brute force. Unfortunately, he always seems to think with his fists first.

This latest McKnight adventure sees Alex as happy as he’
Brian Clapper
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight, is a former minor league baseball player; a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Holly McIntyre
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Steve Hamilton novels I've read and I really like it -- as good as a Sue Grafton, maybe better, not quite as good as a Jeffrey Deaver. I'm going back now and starting the series at the beginning.

It doesn't have the edge of your seat suspense and unexpected twists of a Deaver mystery, but does have solid plot development and characters with whom I would enjoy sitting down at the Glasgow and cracking a cold Canadian. It was the U.P. setting that caught my eye in the first
John Cain
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Hamilton, but this is not one of his best. McKnight's ennui and the cold of the UP are overstated more and more and less interesting each time. Misery Bay a book the follows is much better as are earlier ones.

Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At first, this book didn't seem up to par with previous books. About half way through, I thought, "Wow. I didn't see that coming."
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Alex McKnight series. Just when Alex becomes romantically involved with Natalie Reynaud, a Canadian police officer, gun runners & drug dealers try to put a damper on their romance. It's a very fast moving mystery novel, and also poignant and sad at times, and of course Alex keeps making mistakes & doing stupid things, but that's what makes the series so interesting. A big thumbs up!
Michael T Bradley
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, man, I don't know how to talk about this one without revealing spoilers. I actually waited so long because of this fear that now I can't even remember enough of the basic plot to talk about that. In essence, this represents another turning point in the series, and I found myself genuinely shocked at times. I cannot believe these books are still overall as good as they are.
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamilton is getting better with each book. His stories can be devoured in a very short time, but you will continue to think about them long after. They obviously require a willing suspension of disbelief, as no one person anywhere, much less in the UP, could be involved in this much violence and bloodshed season after season. That's why they call it fiction. These books are great escapes.
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Alex McKnight and his gang from Paradise Michigan have become good friends of mine. I'm enjoying my cruise through this series.
Brian O'Leary
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Love McKnight and Co, but this book is boring.
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-fiction
OK, but Alex isn't smart and the plot doesn't develop, it just keeps circling back. After reading several (inc audio) I doubt I'll go back to this series anytime soon.
Sarah Alawami
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again, a very very good read. I don't want to spoil it, but you will be laughing, crying, angry, happy, sad, all by the end of the book. I really love this series.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not his best. I thought it kind of dragged.
Jerry King
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gave this book a two plus, rather than an average 3, for several reasons. First, it is lite reading, you know on the Jr. HS scale. Secondly, he writes for pages at times about traveling somewhere with no intent other than to add filler, at least it seems that way to me. And thirdly, the main character, to be a former police officer is an idiot with some of his antics that would kill the normal person. Heck, even I rate the murderous and killing detective Mike Hammer (Mickey Spillane) a better ...more
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-reads
PROTAGONIST: Alex McKnight, sort of PI
SETTING: Paradise, Michigan; Canada
SERIES: #7 of 7
RATING: 4.25

Whenever I begin to read the latest book in a favorite series, I experience conflicting emotions. On the one hand, I am happy to put myself in the hands of a favorite author and spend time with characters I've come to love. On the other, I am completely bummed out because I know that I won't be seeing them again for a year or more. I've come to think of this as spending time with distant relatives
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Having lived in Michigan for 20 years I enjoy reading about all the places I've been, not to mention the frequent references to Tiger Stadium and other Detroit landmarks in Steve Hamilton's McKnight series. Hamilton writes a good story every time and I always rate them 3 or 4 Stars. I plan to read the entire series, eventually.
In the world of Alex McKnight, no good deed goes unpunished. He helps rescue some guys after a nasty accident out on the lake, and they turn out to be professional criminals with an underdeveloped sense of gratitude. Pretty soon, Alex is forced to deal with drug-smugglers, gun-runners, and a failing long-distance relationship with Ontario Police Constable Natalie Reynaud.

As always, Steve Hamilton makes good use of his setting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to set mood. For all its peace and beaut
May 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was a huge disappointment.

The characters are thinner than the paper they are printed on and the plot as predictable as the sunrise. Twists and setups are presented - only to fizzle out. I only managed to finish this book because I had already invested enough hours reading it, that stopping would make me feel even dumber than the main character, Alex McKnight.

McKnight is a crappy lead. Hamilton attempts to portray him as dark and brooding, but he just comes off stupid, self-centered and
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is the seventh book in Steve Hamilton's series about Alex McKnight, a retired police officer living in Paradise, Michigan. It's also the last in the series, although on his website Hamilton says that he does expect to write further books about McKnight down the track.

Ice Run was a disappointment but this book is every bit as good as the rest in the series, if not better. All the usual characters we've come to know and love make an appearance. The book opens with Alex, Leon and a coastguard
Gloria Feit
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer is a very short season on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; but in this story it almost never appears, along with some semblance of normalcy. Which is not unusual in an Alex McKnight plot. It begins when a boat with three men aboard crashes into some old pilings on Lake Superior and Alex, his sometime partner, Leon, and a third man rescue the drowning passengers, who turn out to be less than desirable characters.

The progression from that point on is one beating after another for either Ale
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
It's a cold, gray July in Paradise, Michigan; a summer that's not going to happen, a stolen season. Alex McKnight rescues three men from a sinking boat and finds his life unpleasantly entangled with theirs from then on. His girlfriend Natalie Raynaud is working as an undercover cop in Toronto. Their two problems turn out to be different sides of the same criminal case, but McKnight doesn't find out until a terrible tragedy has already struck.

I asked Vinnie what the Ojibwa word was for fall.
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Steve Hamilton's latest book in the likable Alex McKnight series is a very weak entry. The falling-off in plot inventiveness is shocking, even for a twenty-first century crime novel. It's all been done before, so what matters is how well it's done, and making it feel as if it is new. Hamilton fails here, delivering a cliche plot with no wit, style or additional "oomph" to set it apart from a half dozen or more crime novels with the same plot device. The background is interesting, as usual, and H ...more
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alex always gets himself tangled up in a murder and a mess. It was interesting how the story came at the finale from two different angles. Alex got involved by helping save some people in a boat accident and they were involved in running drugs and his girlfriend was investigating gun running in Canada and both operations were part of the same operation.
Wasn't sure I liked the girlfriend, Natalie, but felt bad for Alex when she was killed. The author dealt with Alex's feelings in depth and showe
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I started reading the series and crashed at this book. At the start Alex and his tough hard boiled attitude was an interesting read. As the series continued, I found that his anger and caustic attitude wore thin. He was always there to help his friends but his rash actions usually placed them in more jeopardy before he could save them at the end of the book. Just when I though that we might see some real humanity creep into his existence, that opportunity was stripped away. I am glad that Steve ...more
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite in the series, but still a great book. I guess I wouldn’t do well in the UP, way too cold and far too many gangsters…

The series is great, it’s a private eye noir set in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula where summers are short and winters are brutal and cold. I really enjoy the series, but our poor protagonist never seems to catch a break or have a good time. Despite that, this book, and the series is certainly worth reading.

This particular book took our private eye after some really ba
I sort of want to rate this higher, if only for the compelling narrative style. But the parts just don't add up to enough of a cathartic, reasonable, believable, consistent, ends-tied-up whole. That's the problem I've had so far with this whole series.
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Stolen Season 1 2 Mar 13, 2012 06:52PM
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Price of Innocence (Theresa MacLean #6)
  • Cutter's Run (Brady Coyne, #15)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #24)
  • Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town
  • The Fifth Floor (Michael Kelly, #2)
  • A Killing Sky: A Frank Pavlicek Mystery
  • Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • The Lake, the River & the Other Lake
EXIT STRATEGY, the second book in the Nick Mason series, will be released on May 16, 2017.
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00