Start by marking “On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)” as Want to Read:
On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)

On Fire's Wings

(The Final Dance Trilogy #1)

She was born without caste or position in Arukan, a country that prized both. Then a chance encounter led her to a better life. But it also brought her to danger and destiny. Because Kevla Bai-sha's fevered dreams - looming threats to their land and visions of dragons that had once watched over her people - held the promise of truth.

Now Arukan - shadowed by mountains and m
Published July 18th 2006 by Luna (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about On Fire's Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Fire's Wings

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
124 books — 165 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingLittle Fires Everywhere by Celeste NgThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Fiery titles
264 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2006, 8
I have been checking out upcoming Luna books from the beginning, and when I originally read the blurb for this one, I decided it wasn't for me. I don't remember exactly why now, but it was a decision I was perfectly happy about. After the sequel, "In Stone's Clasp" came out, I pretty much ignored it, because of the original decision not to read the series.

Then, more recently, I started hearing good things about the series. I asked around and had it recommended to me. So I looked at "On Fire's W
S.L.
Oct 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recentlyread
I have finally read another Luna. I've had some of these books for a very long time, it seems. They've been stacked up waiting, sort of pathetically. It always makes me feel good to clear one of them off the TBR Range.

And some of them, naturally, are better than others. This one, On Fire's Wings falls into that category.

Kevla Bai-Sha is the daughter of a halaan, a prostitute, and one of the many male clients she's taken over the years. Kevla's job is to sing and dance in the marketplace to attr
Brittany Pesch
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
SpringLea Henry
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Dungeons and Dragons, Christie Golden would absolutely be the bard, and On Fire's Wings is an amazing example of her craft! This book is captivating end to end. It's the story of Kevla: Outcast, lost princess, and something so much more. The book includes themes of magic, reincarnation, good-vs-evil, dragons, superstitions, and how people can have influence, even if they aren't the chosen political leader. It's also about the courage to be one's self. I don't feel like I can say more about th ...more
Limecello
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Yo. Yooooooooo yo I cannot. So @BronwynK recommended this series to me, promising it was adult high fantasy romance.

Well ... yes. It was good and I quite enjoyed it, but for some OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK - NO REALLY WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCKING FUCK.

FIRST OF ALL. There's incest. THAT'S THE ROMANCE. INCEST. WHAT. THE. FUCK.
The heroine and ... uh ... hero? \_(ツ)_/ are half siblings. She's a bastard (poor girl) - and he's the son of an uber chieftan. He knows they're related. She has no cl
Marta Dec
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
While at the beginning this book looked promising, the second half of it most definitely ruined my expectations. The plot, at first seeming well thought out, gets more and more forced with every page. The main character also gets quite annoying after a while - she's far too perfect and tragic to actually like her. Despite some twists in the storyline that might have been interesting, overall "On Fire's Wings" is tedious, full of very stereotypical threads and repetitive patterns.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pros: the world building, the mythology, the slow build to an epic final battle

Cons: incest, this is the first book of a five book series in which the last two books may never be published, lame death of character, poorly justified incest.

This started as an interesting concept but took some really stupid wrong turns along the way. The overall mythology is that this is the fifth and final world and battle. The good side, the dancers, and the bad side, the Shadow, have fought over four previous wo
Amanda
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
a very interesting series. But before i review it more I want to warn anyone new that it's not actually a trilogy and the author can't write more until she gets the rights back.

As for the storyline unique take on a fantasy save the world premise. The writing isn't necessarily the greatest out there but its still good. the characters are great they've got flaws and seem quite realistic.
I've written about a spoiler and what is my biggest issue with the book below. ive kept it vague but you may be
Ayah A.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading a story where the male lead sacrifices himself to help the female lead discover who she is and empower her had a profound effect on me when I read this years ago. Read it again, and it still does.
Christiana
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a page turner. Enjoyed a lot of it. Can suspend disbelief & enjoy the story. Enjoyed a lot of the world building.
amanda  Beeks
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book really takes you for a journey. It was a book that was hard to put down. I cannot wait for the next book.
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I liked the Luna line immediately, fantasy with romance and strong female leads? Great!
This book doesn't deserve to be in it. The premise is good and the first half is very promising. Then, it sours. I understand why the incestuous relationship was needed for the plot, but in a novel in a line that promises romance, it is quite souring. When I read the next book in this series, I realized that it follows the same formulaic plot and I could even do the "who matches up with who" in my head that ma
mirba
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
Very intense reading, difficult to put down. The story builds up to its final and it is quite grand

The world building is good. Set in a simil Muslim desertic country with quite peculiar rules of behaviour and life (it's almost like muslim but men can marry only one woman and wine can be drinked)

For all that it is written as a young adult but it goes to adult quite quickly and like many others I found the sibling thing quite disturbing and not really necessary for the storyline. I do not understa
Michelle
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an ok read, good world building and likable characters but there is a cliffhanger ending which was to have been resolved in future books. The writer intended this novel to be the start of a 5 book series but (according to her website)was unable to publish the last 2 and the 3rd in the series has fallen out of circulation. I would have liked to have seen what happened next so that fact made this book frustrating to read.
Casse NaRome
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love when a fantasy book is done right. Golden builds worlds so clearly that you can see, feel and taste them. I felt like I was in the desert, I felt the hot sand and smelled the spicy air! The characters were beautiful and the story was inspiring, tragic and heartbreaking all at the same time. I loved reading as relationships grew and as villians were evolved before my eyes. This book was wonderful!
Violet Jackson
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book probably the first book a fantasy that I fell in love with at the beginning I really wasn't a fan of fantasy beside supernatural books like laurell K Hamilton but when I read the book around middle school it made me cry and laugh and everything in between! I thought this was one of the best books I have ever read Sadly, I have never read the second book but when I do I will finish and I will give my honest opinion the whole series
Gardavson
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hmm. This book was kinda hard to rate. Somewhere between a 3 and a 4. The problem was, it's like 2 separate books. The first half was interesting and I got drawn into it. But it suddenly changed, and the pace, the plot, all of it stopped and took a restart with a totally reborn heroine, totally different plotline. Frankly, I liked the first half better. The second part was less fluid, more forced. It had no setup so it had no base to support it. The character became less likeable.
Den
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've enjoyed many of Christie Golden's books - especially those based on the World of Warcraft.

However, she has outdone herself with this book.

The story is so rich and fine, it's like nibbling the finest fudge. I simply could not put it down. I cannot wait to finish the rest of this epic tale.
Melody
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was a good sci-fi/slightly romantic novel. I enjoyed the new language and imagery that the author introduced. I'm looking forward to the next story! I only gave it 4 stars, since most of the story built up to a huge climax- and then the book ended, making you want to read the next one right away (I have it on hold at the library).
Karen
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nope nope NOPE. the plot and sequence of events was actually very enjoyable. i like how kevla was witty and understood politics despite her upbringing. i was not okay with her sleeping with her half brother and then killing him. yep so not okay with that. i didnt even finish the book because of that. guess ill go read the wizards ward now.
Barbara ★
A coming of age story for both Kevla and Jashemi before the s**t hit the fan with murder, betrayal and war. Not a new story but with some interesting twists and a likable hero and heroine who, of course, experience great happiness and even greater sorrow. I will definitely be reading the next installment.
Jessica Rice
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Better than I thought it would be, although I didn't realise it was part of a series until I got near the end and realised the story wasn't finished.
I could only find book 2 after this one, so I think the others in the series are discontinued :(
Lumi
Apr 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Well, everything was going along swimmingly until I got to THAT ending. Up until then I was enjoying this book. But the ending grossed me out too much to bother reading future books in this series. P.S.(view spoiler)
Carol (Kimiko)
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Recommended to Carol (Kimiko) by: isaw it at a book store
it is a cool book. it is for anyone in the family (13up). anyone in the family from girls to blys. even my son and husband read it. i can't for rest
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
I'm just disturbed. This story just appalled me too much to finish.
Mary-Frances
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story - it does make me want to read the next one. I met the author and bought the book on a lark (I've heard it's now out of print).
Darlene
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
this was my first time in the fantasy genre and i really loved it. enough so that i have read all of this series i could find
Liz
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sequential Tart review, where I gloss over the part about the incest.
innae
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Finished this and WOW!! Christie surely doesn't disappoint. I can't wait for the next in the series...and to think, there are FOUR more books (one for each element :-)
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-it
I'm looking forward to reading the other books in this series. I will definitely read this one again.

• The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1)
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Shadows of Myth
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • Voice of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #2)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

The Final Dance Trilogy (3 books)
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Under Sea's Shadow