Start by marking “Rogue State (Fractured State #2)” as Want to Read:
Rogue State (Fractured State #2)

(Fractured State #2)

Twenty years in the future, America perches on the edge of collapse, devastated by drought and dwindling resources. California, now a totalitarian surveillance state controlling the lion’s share of the nation’s economy, is on the brink of secession. And family man Nathan Fisher finds himself at the heart of a bloody conspiracy that threatens the lives of his loved ones and

Published January 10th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Rogue State, please sign up.
Lynn Hallbrooks If you don't read Fractured State first, I think you will be lost. …moreIf you don't read Fractured State first, I think you will be lost. (less)

Start your review of Rogue State (Fractured State #2)
Vicki Crouch
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tight, well thought out story line

Believable action and conversations, riveting plot. I had trouble putting this book down, just as I did the Perseid Collapse. Now eagerly awaiting the sequel!
January Gray
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. Well written with good characters. I would read more by this author.
Dolly Sandor
The thrilling ride continues!

What I liked: Rogue State picks up where Fractured State ended and that’s a great thing with everyone’s life on the line. What I may have not touched on in my review of Fractured State is the rest of the country is pretty much dependent on California for its economy. There are two groups involved, one wanting to secede from the United States and the majority not wanting California to secede.

Neither of these groups is playing exactly fair and in the interests of the
Shaun
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fractured State set the bar real high and Rogue State did not fail to deliver. As I am reviewing this only a few days after its release I do not want to reveal any spoiler type thoughts here.

The world as outlined by the author in 2035 is easily believable. The detail in tactical equipment is both stunning and yet not at all futuristic. Living in AZ I really enjoyed the parts of this book that centered around places I live and visit frequently. Was hoping for more action dealing with Tucson and P
Rita
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Listened to the audio version of this book. Unfortunately, I was held captive in a car, on a long road trip; my only hope was that the story would be resolved quickly. It wasn't; this book leads to another: Book 3 of the series, which I will NOT listen to, nor will I read it. I doubt that I will ever read another Steven Konkoly book again.

Both this book & the preceding one describe a dystopian world in the near future, with rival interests in California & Mexico fighting over the claims to water
Dale
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Review of the Audiobook

Published in 2017 by Brilliance Audio.
Read by Timothy Andres Pabon.
Duration: 9 hours, 21 minutes.
Unabridged

The action surrounding embattled water engineer Nathan Fisher and his family in the year 2035 continues in Rogue State . In the first book, Nathan witnessed an act of terrorism designed to egg on a tense situation between the government of California and the federal government. Now, he and his family are being hunted by a mysterious group funded by a group of oli
Darlene
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rogue State

This is a fabulous book filled with action and suspense. The Fisher family is running from a corporation who wants Nathan Fisher's information in his head silenced. For good. He's on the run with a militant group who saved his life. They come into daily contact with mercenaries and cartel hired by the corporation who are trying to kill them.

So, this book can be a little on the violent side but it definitely not gory. The action takes place with Nathan's wife and 11yr old son in tow.
Shane Hawk
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The subsequent novel to Steven Konkoly’s Fractured State: A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller picks right back up where the prior novel ended. The first one ended without any real resolutions for the characters and this one wraps up some, but not all. Neither are standalone books and I assume the author has a third installment planned. The pace matched the first book and at moments I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat. After one prominent death I was yelling to myself, "No no no!" This is ...more
Lisa Rodgers
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Future History / Action Novel

Okay, this is a definitely cool novel and series. If you want action, advanced weaponry and desperate tactics, this one is for you!

Personally, I preferred the future history setting and scenario, which drives the desperate politics behind all of the action. The scenario may be unlikely, but it is by no means implausible, and certainly not impossible.

Resources -- and the wealth behind the control of resources -- is always in play in society. Societies can dominate, o
Chessy The Cat
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nathan Fisher, his family, and their friend, David find themselves running from Cerberus in a fight for their lives. Caught in the middle of a war over water rights for the western states Fisher has information that could change everything. Will Fisher share this vital information or go into hiding – if he lives?

Konkoly’s second installment of the Fractured State Series, Rogue State, picks up immediately where the first novel ended. It is full of non-stop action and suspense. There is more devel
Theresa Wade
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book as a giveaway. The story line sounded so interested I went and purchased the first book and read it before reading this one. This second book is a continuation of the Fracture State book and an excellent series. The author provides great details in a way that is easy to understand what is going on with David and the Fishers. His writing gives you the visual of what is going on even in the battle scenes. The book did end at a cliff hanger giving me the excitement that I will be wa ...more
Walter Scott
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The war of California Secession continues.

The story picks up about an hour after the end of Fractured State (and there is at least one more book in this series forthcoming). As fast paced and violent as Fractured State, the severe environmental damage resulting from diverted water resources is highlighted as only one of many reasons for the existence of the California Liberation Movement. Add in the involvement of a “prepper” enclave, and the tension becomes almost unbearable.
This new series by
Drew
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
‘Rogue State’ picks up where the first book (Fractured State) leaves off, but this story is much more fast paced and has a great mix of action and plot development. The characters are interesting and relatable and as always, the author does a great job with the writing. The only bad thing I can say about this book is that it leaves a bit of a cliff hanger which doesn’t wrap up the story nicely (which is a pet peeve of mine). Overall though I really enjoyed the book and can’t wait for the next on ...more
James J. Seals Jr
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steven Konkoly continues the excellence from the first Rogue State book. Non stop action, very plausible technology coupled with great characters provides the necessary vehicle to propel this series to the top. Hair raising action, truly evil bad guys and our central characters continue to squeak by what seems to be insurmountable odds. This is the recipe that keeps you on the edge of your seat and asking for more. I highly recommend this series.. Heck, I highly recommend anything Steven Konkoly ...more
Robert B Fay
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story line, great characters

Original story setup was intriguing, as was the prediction of future lunacy in California. Every chapter was action filled with new and interesting characters being developed all along the way. Action descriptions seemed realistic and were exciting. The whole story keep my attention and was a totally enjoyable read. I will look at more from this author.
ROBERT  SPENGLER
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner

This is the 4th book I have read by Steve Konkoly. They have all been a top caliber read. This book presents a bleak future for Ca. Hopefully the monitoring in this manner never comes about. However, greed and control have been around for a long time. Even under the worst of circumstances, the best in people will always come to the forefront. Read and enjoy, but keep the anger in check as we wait for good to prevail.
Vickey Riggins
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Held my breath

After reading the first book of the series I couldn't wait to read the second. Both were awesome reads and I found myself holding my breath several times. Wow!! Mr. Konkoly is a gifted writer and you won't be sorry you read any of his action- packed books. Can hardly wait for the third book in the series.
Cheryl
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too Short

This book is so exciting I read it in no time. I was shocked by the loss of a main character, but hope we lose no one else. Living in MT, I know exactly what the described addresses look like. I have been on that street and in those townhouses. Great story! Hurry with the next segment!
lynda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not unimaginable. Not inconceivable. Only 25 or 30 years away. Californians want to secede, some of them. Water and power are rationed...severely; and as always there are powerful self serving groups battling for control behind the scenes with no regard for the people involved. And there ARE people, real people, involved. Fast and furious.
bryan richter
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid follow up

The pace quickens right out of the gate and sustains itself throughout this story. Great follow up to book one. Enjoyed the action ands the evolution of the core characters. The author's extreme!y plausible vision of the near future is disconcerting as well as a fine backdrop for this story. Looking forward to book three
Cherye Elliott
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rogue State

I am rereading this book because I didn't leave a review the first time. Bad reader.

Excellent read. Once you start there is no stopping until you get to the end. It does leave you wanting more. Definitely recommend this book. Don't forget to read Fractured State first!
Lisa Omstead
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eagerly awaiting the next story!

What a rollercoaster ride this series has been so far. The plot, set in the not so distant future, bears an eerie resemblance to the path of climate change we are currently on. Combined with feverish action and suspense, this series is a 5 star winner.
Bruce
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
An abandoned series? Now I'm angry!

Nowhere in the description did it mention that book #2 doesn't finish the story -- it was published almost a year and a half ago! I even had checked the author's website, and there's no mention of a book 3, so I expected the story to be wrapped up. I avoid series with no ending like the plague, so I'm extremely unhappy to be screwed over like this.
Steve
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of Action, but not Well Balanced

This Book #2 was slightly less confusing than the 1st Book. But, there is still a HUGE mixture of names and associations and loyalties that makes the plot difficult to follow and/or fully understand. There is a lot of action/shoot-‘em-up scenes, but the end results are heavily biased.
ghusth
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Cannot Relate to These Characters

I cannot muster any sympathy for the characters in this series. Having incredible luck with escaping constant and multiple misfortunes, they seem to me to be unbelievable and unworthy. Keira is particularly unlikable. She is a shrew and an emasculator.
Bernie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rogue State is the second book in the Fractured State series written by author Steven Konkoly. Really looking forward to the third story. Excellent storyline and very realistic characters. Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for the advance copy.
Cass Gallegos
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

This is a very exciting series. Set 20+ years into the future. Dealing w difficulties accessing water in several states primarily California. Very much a possibility in the future. Thrilling and action packed read.
Dawna Norlen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it

What can I say.? I was a native Californian until moving to Arizona a few tears back. So, this was actually very interesting to me. Talk about my stomping grounds. This series is truly engrossing.
PETER F DEKAM
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This book in the series was even better than the first!! I'm combination they blew me away... I simply couldn't put either of them down... If you like books that draw you in so tightly that you can't put them down then this one is for you.
Kate
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another nail biter!!! So well researched, I think these books would make an amazing movie. There is so much action and everything is so relevant to crises we have today. Cannot wait for the next one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Time to Hunt (Pierce Hunt #3)
  • Trained to Hunt (Pierce Hunt, #2)
  • The Last Agent (Charles Jenkins, #2)
  • Hard Target (Jon Reznick, #8)
  • Flight 3430
  • Smoke Signal (Rachel Hatch #4)
  • Downburst (Rachel Hatch #2)
  • Targeted Violence (Nick Lawrence #4)
  • Vengeance (The Falling Empires #4)
  • The Dangerous Mr. Wolf
  • Uprising (After the Fall, #2)
  • Hard Shot (Jon Reznick, #7)
  • New Madrid Earthquake
  • Escape (Jet, #9)
  • The Giordana Connnection (Scott Steletto #6)
  • The Blood Tide (Scott Stiletto Book 7)
  • A Talent for Revenge
  • The Hard Core (John Stone #5)
Steven graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1993, receiving a bachelor of science in English literature. He served the next eight years on active duty, traveling the world as a naval officer assigned to various Navy and Marine Corps units. His extensive journey spanned the globe, including a two-year tour of duty in Japan and travel to more than twenty countries throughout Asia and th ...more

Fractured State (2 books)
  • Fractured State (Fractured State Series Book 1)