Start by marking “Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)

Closed Casket

(New Hercule Poirot Mysteries #2)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  8,338 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews
Lady Athelinda Playford has planned a house party at her mansion in Clonakilty, Co Cork, but it is no ordinary gathering. As guests arrive, Lady Playford summons her lawyer to make an urgent change to her will - one she intends to announce at dinner that night. She has decided to cut off her two children without a penny and leave her fortune to someone who only has weeks ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Closed Casket, please sign up.
Mark Pearce I agree that Closed Casket is much better than the previous one. It is as if Hannah is becoming comfortable with the character and taking on the…moreI agree that Closed Casket is much better than the previous one. It is as if Hannah is becoming comfortable with the character and taking on the mantle of writing about him. A thoroughly ingenious story helps to make this a really good read.(less)

·  8,338 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews

Start your review of Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
Paromjit
This is the second book that Sophie Hannah has written with Poirot since she took up the Agatha Christie mantle. Whilst I had enjoyed Monogram Murders, this was a harder sell for me. The story is narrated by Inspector Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard. For no reason that he can fathom, he has been invited to Clonakilty, County Cork in Ireland. He is to be a house guest at Lillieoak, a mansion owned by Lady Playford, a writer of the Shrimp series. He harbours some resentment of Poirot after the ...more
Pamela
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dame Agatha is rolling in her grave.
Julie
Closed Casket by Sophie Hannah/ Agatha Christie is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

Lady Athelinda Playford gathers an eclectic group of people together when she decides to announce a major change to her will, a very controversial decision that could bring about terrible repercussions.

Inspector Edward Catchpool and the incomparable Hercule Poirot, may have been invited due to Playford’s suspicions that murder is on someone’s mind. However, a murder is committed right under the famous Belgian
Kortessa Giachanatzi
This was quite a good attempt to continue Agatha Christie's legacy. It is a decent book and interesting reading. It can bring you into the world and psyche of Hercule Poirot. I would say it is a typican whodunit plot, intriguing with suspence. It carries the characteristics that we find in Poirot. By that, I mean that someone not knowing the famous Belgian detective would easily get the grab of him in this book.
On the othe hand though, if this was my first Poirot mystery I wouldn't be so
Aditi
“Everyone is a potential murderer-in everyone there arises from time to time the wish to kill-though not the will to kill.”

----Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirot is back again with another new adventure and mystery in Sophie Hannah, an internationally bestselling writer's new book, Closed Casket where the Belgian detective Poirot along with the help of Scotland Yard inspector, Edward Catchpool, solve the mystery surrounding an old rich, aristocrat lady's lavish party at a forgotten Irish
Ivonne Rovira
Buying Closed Casket was the triumph of hope over experience. In 2014 author Sophie Hannah released The Monogram Murders, the first Hercule Poirot novel since Curtain: Poirot's Last Case: A Hercule Poirot Mystery was published in 1975. While not up to Dame Agatha Christie’s highest standards, Hannah’s novel wasn’t too shabby. So I bought Closed Casket hoping for better than a pleasant read and for something less convoluted and implausible than The Monogram Murders.

Was my hope justified? Not a
Ova - Excuse My Reading
What's better than Belgian chocolate? Obviously our Belgian detective and his grey cells.

Incredibly happy that Poirot is back in literary world. This time, Hannah takes us to a country house- one of my favourite Agatha Christie settings. It's really devilish-ly clever this book, I didn't see the end coming at all. Can't wait for the next one in series!!!
Angela Zakreski
Sep 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This Dame is no Agatha Christie

Started this book snuggled up with a cup of tea by my side and smile on my face for a 'new' Poirot adventure to begin.
What a MAJOR disappointment it was.
Her narrator, Catchpool, seemed to be her 'Hastings' but was to also be a capable police detective with a promising career. Obviously this didn't work - love Hastings but lovable bumbling is more his mode than sharp detective skills - and this character did not work. Actually all of the characters seemed to be
Joanna
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poirot in 1929 - the heyday, nee the Golden Age of murder and Christie. Ths was great. Lots of fun if a bit brutal and not as adoring to Hercule as Christie would have made it. She still liked him in the early days.
Angela DeSilva
Won in Goodreads giveaway!
Em*bedded-in-books*
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime mystery fans
Agatha Christie is my favorite yesteryear cozy mystery author. Sophie Hannah is one of my favorite current psychological mystery authors. So when Sophie Hannah started giving a new life to Hercule Poirot, I was excited.
Monogram murders, the first of this revamped Poirot series was well appreciated by me, though many found it lacking.
Closed Casket was in my radar, the day I saw it on GR, and when I received it as a gift, I was over the moon.
This seems like an amalgam of Christie and Hannah, but
Scott
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book courtesy of a Goodreads giveaway. Closed Casket has most of the mystery cliches:

1. Like "Clue", all of the suspects staying in the same house and sorting out who was where during the murder; I halfway expected to read about Colonel Mustard and a pipe wrench.

2. A semi-clueless sidekick in Catchpool

3. A moron serving as the lead homicide detective

4. Poirot's big reveal at the end with all of the suspects gathered in one room

5. Confession by the suspect once truth is revealed
Dichotomy Girl
Jul 27, 2016 marked it as to-read-maybe  ·  review of another edition
So I read an article recently; about why the estates of famous writers, tend to suddenly allow a "new" book to come out so many years after the originals. It's all about copyright. See, the copyright on some of Christie's earlier books are soon to expire. However, if they commission a new book, they can retain the copyright to the characters.

I have very mixed feelings about this, especially when I think about all the awesome things that wouldn't exist if the copyright hadn't expired. Like
Lyn Elliott
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Sophie Hannah must have had great fun writing this new Poirot mystery. The immaculate Belgian detective is drawn impeccably, surrounded by an outrageous cast of mostly unpleasant people in a wildly improbable version of the English country house murder.

It was an entertaining, stylish, escapist read, 3.5 rather than a flat 3.

I was a bit startled to see that copyright rests with Agatha Christie Limited, and hope Hannah's contract pays her well for what should be a successful book. Clearly the
Amy
2.5 Stars
So, I'm at the library and I see "Agatha Christie." And I think, "most excellent, my dudes." And that is it. Sure, there is another name on it, but right there at the top it says Agatha Christie. If I thought about it at all I assumed the other name was an editor or something.
But I am pretty sure I didn't think of it at all.
And then I started reading and I felt a surge of shock that I had never heard of this Christie novel before. After all, a famous authoress of detective fiction
Paul
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Closed Casket – Hercule Poirot Returns

Sophie Hannah has risen to the challenge to become the voice and mind of Hercule Poirot and mimic everything that the Grand Dame of Crime Fiction created. Hannah has picked up where Agatha Christie left off and it is impossible to notice that Poirot came to life over 100 years before, this is a seamless addition to the Christie canon.

Hercule Poirot has been invited over to the newly independent Ireland, as the guest of aristocratic author Lady Playford to
Jan
I received "Closed Casket" through a Goodreads Giveaway and am now meeting my responsibility to write a review.

Author Sophie Hannah clearly idolizes the great Agatha Christie; in fact, she has an index in the book that lists all of Christie's books and plays. She clearly intends to honor Christie in this novel. She brings life to Hercule Poirot in the story, and does him justice. I always pictured Poirot in this book as the one played by David Suchet on PBS Mystery.

However, Hannah uses another
Roman Clodia
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know some people don't like Hannah's homages to Poirot and Christie but I think these are fun and this second entry irons out some of the infelicities of the first one that had Poirot behaving in a way impossible to imagine of the original (living in a run-down guest house! eating in a café!).

Narrated again by Catchpool (who is no Hastings...) this returns to the Christie-esque classic milieu of a house party and tangled, dysfunctional family. The grande dame is an amusing mash-up of
Deborah
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I need to confess that I had no idea Sophie Hannah had revitalised Agatha Christie’s famous Belgian detective and his little grey cells until this book appeared on a listing. It was only then I discovered Hannah had previously released The Monogram Murders, featuring Hercule Poirot, in 2014 – almost 40 years after the passing of Dame Agatha.

I should mention here that I adore Agatha Christie. I’ve read all of her books a million times. At least.

Lovers of the original will notice there are some
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Given that I have no memory of anything from The Monogram Murders, I can't make any comparisons to it. Besides that it didn't really feel like a Poirot mystery. Since I don't even remember the murder, I can't tell you why. That's just how it felt to me.

However, I can honestly say, this felt like a genuine Poirot mystery. I could hear his voice in my head. I could see the mystery exactly. It just felt authentic to me, and, when you're writing any sort of pastiche, that's key. You have to capture
Margaret
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Surly better than the "monogram" but in the exact same way flat and pointless! The first half is well developed but then again to create a mystery is easier than to give satisfying answers to it!
Mandy White
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Love a good whodunnit with Poirot. A fun listen and great story. I really should go back and read some of the older Christie books....one day!!
NuReader21
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
3.5 stars, I like this book better than the predecessor, The Monogram Murders. The mystery is much simpler and more sensible and this time Poirot managed to treat Inspector Catchpool with more respect, which makes me warm up to Hannah's Poirot this time.

The mystery builds up quite well and kept me guessing all the way to the final assembly where the murder is revealed. Although I can think of other simpler, harmless ways for the killer to get that particular information without making it a
Jill Hutchinson
I read this author's first try at the Poirot character in The Monogram Murders and rather enjoyed it - realizing, of course, that no one can take the place of Dame Agatha. But I am afraid that this entry doesn't quite measure up to her initial effort.

In an attempt to be whimsical, the author only makes the characters appear silly and Inspector Catchpool (read Hastings) has absolutely nothing to do, unlike Poirot's friend Hastings in the originals. The story is unnecessarily complex and I
Lisa
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would not have intentionally selected this book as I still have many Agatha books to read and would rather read the real thing...
...but my fab brother bought it for me for Christmas knowing I love Poirot and probably didn't realise it was written by somebody else (check out the cover!).

I liked it - the story was a bit odd and a little stilted in places but I still enjoyed the mystery and the rambunctious and frankly rude characters were amusing.
Poirot was not quite himself! But it didn't spoil
Astrid Lim
Not as bad as the first book - I think Sophie Hannah has already had some better grasps on how to write a Poirot story. True, there are some parts that are still meh and so unPoirot. Also, the way the mystery unraveled is also still a bit stiff, not flowing smoothly in my opinion. And I don't understand why Hannah still insisted on using Catchpool as her narrator - he is definitely a weaker version of Hastings haha. I wish she could just write the story in a third person point of view, with ...more
Helena
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 4,3 or something, to be honest. I can't give it a solid 5 because the ending wasn't all that shocking, you could have guessed it were you alert enough. However, a 4 is also unjust because I had such a great time reading this book! I enjoyed the characters and the whole atmosphere immensely! I really did feel like I was inside a good old Poirot novel and it was exhilarating! I can't wait to get my hands on the next one and I'm really very grateful to Sophie Hannah for this experience.
Shauna
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, modern-crime-uk
Pretty dire stuff. I was hoping for better given the reviews. Nothing would induce me to read another of these pseudo-Poirots.
Marci
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This author writes pretty well and plots a convincingly complex murder, but there are two insuperable problems. The first is that her detective, Edward Catchpool, does not seem to me to fit in the Poirot universe. Poirot sidekicks are supposed to function as either flattering or ironic foils to the Belgian super-sleuth. Catchpool's depiction of Poirot doesn't ring true. This is actually the second problem, but before I get into that, I think the author needed to study the overall rules and ...more
Nnenna
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to William Morrow for providing me with a review copy!

When I heard that Sophie Hannah would be continuing the Agatha Christie books, I was really curious about she’d handle it. If you’ve read any of the original Agatha Christie novels, and then one of the new ones, I feel like you can’t help but compare them. My ultimate verdict is that Hannah did a good job of carrying on Agatha Christie’s legacy. It’s not perfect, but it’s certainly not a disgrace either.

In this book, Poirot and his

• Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot, #39)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)
  • The Double Clue: A Short Story
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #40)
  • The Word Is Murder (Hawthorne, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #24)
  • The Hollow (Hercule Poirot, #26)
  • Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #38)
  • Mrs. McGinty's Dead (Hercule Poirot, #30)
  • Five Little Pigs (Hercule Poirot, #25)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Double Sin and Other Stories (Hercule Poirot, #36)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • The Clocks (Hercule Poirot, #37)
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case ...more

New Hercule Poirot Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
“Als je eenmaal hebt geaccepteerd dat niemand je ooit zal begrijpen en je hebt dat overweldigende gevoel van eenzaamheid overwonnen, dan heeft het wel iets prettigs, eerlijk gezegd. Jij bent de enige deskundige in je eigen kleine wereldje, en je kunt doen waar je zin in hebt.” 1 likes
“Good sense appears the most underhand of tactics to a man who has no reserves of his own to draw upon.” 1 likes