Start by marking “Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)” as Want to Read:
Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)

Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt #14)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  12,620 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
Another compelling Dirk Pitt adventure from the bestselling author Clive Cussler.
Published September 2nd 2002 by Pocket Books (first published January 2nd 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Flood Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flood Tide

Belinda
Aug 01, 2007 Belinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction/adventure junkies
I keep reading Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt stories, even though they drive me up the wall. This one had ALL my Cussler pet peeves:

1.) Dirk Pitt as irresistible, life-altering stud-muffin. Example:

She was put through to his secretary, who informed her that Pitt was out on vacation and had not returned to work yet. Julia hung up the phone and settled her head into the pillows. In some odd manner she felt transformed. Here I am acting like a brazen hussy, she thought, pursuing a man I hardly know. Wh
Eric
Jul 21, 2008 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard fans of Dirk Pitt and/or Clive Cussler
Recommended to Eric by: Lynda Kaemerling
This is the second Dirk Pitt adventure I have read from Clive Cussler. The first, Raise The Titanic!, didn't impress me, but it intrigued me enough to pick up another offering from the author.

Well, after this, I doubt I'll pick up a third. Cussler's writing is downright bad, the plot of the story was so obvious I had it figured out hundreds of pages ahead of time, and the combination of invincibility, luck, wit, and charm of Dirk Pitt was laughable.

All in all it was just too much for me. The se
Corey
Feb 08, 2013 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun and thrilling Dirk Pitt adventure. Flood Tide has Pitt coming up against a Chinese tyrant who is selling illegal immigrants into slavery, and who is also in search of a long lost shipwreck. And we are introduced to Juan Cabrillo, who is the protagonist of the Oregon Files series, which is also written by Cussler, Cabrillo makes a cameo appearance, which I thought was pretty cool.

I realize that since I've been reading the Dirk Pitt series in order, I realize he's getting up there in a
Marc
Aug 27, 2008 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has Chinese stereotypes that make Fu Manchu look like a Nobel laureate. Read if you need something brain dead or if you enjoy "cabin in the woods" stories and don't mind a protagonist that seems physically young but who has the cultural sensitivity of a patriotic, battle-hardened seventy-something fiction author.
Kate
Oct 03, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I got bored and didn't read the last 100 pages. I think I've outgrown my liking for Dirk Pitt, sadly.
Roger Perales
Jun 03, 2009 Roger Perales rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2008
I've enjoyed several of Cussler's books, but this one left a bad taste in my mouth with his semi-racist depiction of the Chinese characters in the book.
Nick
Sep 03, 2008 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nick by: Dad
Shelves: fiction
I think I've found my Kryptonite...
The Usual
Jun 04, 2016 The Usual rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you can get past the inelegant prose (the pool meandered in a circle... Is that even possible?), the way that he mistakes eye-colour for characterisation, the long technical conversations between two people who already know every detail and don't need to discuss them, the assumption that people who have gone through a long and deeply unpleasant journey to escape the tyrannical rule of the Chinese government will want to establish it in the country they've just escaped to, the passages describ ...more
Ailish
Dec 30, 2013 Ailish rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A novel with page-turning sequences and lots of dull areas. I did enjoy Cussler's misuse of words and original descriptions. Apart from disliking the hero, I found the 'Yellow Peril' theme, presented as more than a premise for an action adventure, disturbing.

Cultural sensitivity: 'Through the doors of other rooms he could hear the strange, twangy sounds that Orientals call music.'

Yellow Peril: 'Time is on our side. Not only will we erode America from the outside, but with the help of your own co
M Strawberry Reviews
This is my third Drk Pitt novel, and it has been no less entertaining than the others I have read. It's clear that Mr. Cussler did his research, as you can tell by the way he writes cars, boats, and weapons in here - always a big plus for nerds like me. Dirk and Al are their usual smart-aleck selves, which I do enjoy. The main story itself is a bit cliche, but the Dirk Pitt novels have a sort of lightness that is lacking in authors like say, Tom Clancy. Don't get me wrong, I like Tom Clancy, but ...more
Andy
May 20, 2011 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chinese are coming! Illegally! The coincidences of these books are always maddening. A Chinese industrialist involved in trafficking immigrants to the US needs to be investigated just as Dirk Pitt stumbles upon one of his operations while on vacation. Despite all of that nonsense, Cussler's books are enjoyable mind candy. A little more stupid than Clancy in his prime and probably W.E.B. Griffin but they are fast paced stories that mean less time in front of the tv. Not a bad deal, I guess.
Patrick
Aug 18, 2010 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Idiots
Wow! This is pure crap. I was amazed at how bad this was. It seems to be written by someone older and more manly than myself.

Approximate quote: "Dirk walked passed the room with the loud noise that the orientals called music."

Clive also implies that the Chinese were flooding America with immigrants as a way to stage an invasion from within. Of course, the heroine is Chinese and sexy.
Cindy
Jul 02, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, dale-read-to
This was adventure at it's best with this Dirk dude being almost comical in his ability to stay alive. We laughed a lot but it was interesting.
M
Jun 18, 2008 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, thought this was going to be a good, light action read. Instead it was a bad, repetitive read with a moderately good action story. Bummer.
Unicornmattgic
Jun 13, 2013 Unicornmattgic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flood Tide by Clive Cussler
The book starts out by retelling the story of a boat called “The Princess Dou Wan” as it sailed through some rough seas towards Singapore in order to be scrapped. The story recounts how the only survivors of the wreck clambered into a raft and sat in it waiting for the boat to land. They raft does eventually land and the people inside climb out onto the shore. This is the last we hear from this side of the story for quite some time.
The story then transitions over to
Neil
Some thots while reading:

So happy I discovered 'Terry and the Pirates' a few years ago! Julia's comment about her codename being the 'Dragon Lady' makes so much more sense!

I had forgotten that this novel takes place almost immediately after Shockwave and starts off with Dirk attempting to recuperate in the Oregon/Washington state area. Also like how this novel has more characters from NUMA involved in the plot [even if it ultimately requires Dirk to tie all the loose ends together into a cohere
Geoff Battle
Jul 02, 2017 Geoff Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cussler has produced some preposterous storylines in the Dirk Pitt series and thankfully Flood Tide is not one of them. Dirk remains as indestructible as ever, this time up against a chinese megalomaniac whose plans are indeed very crafty. The well thought out plot continues to escalate until its grand finale and provides plenty of thrills and spills, a few unlikely coincidences, a little romance, a few villains and lots of spent ammo. A little wordy in places, Flood Tide for the most part is a ...more
Michael O'Donnell
bullshit and bluster. you knew what you were getting. an improbable hero. some dizzy chick. cars, planes and boats. guns, ammo and death. ordinance, the sea and rivers. written in 1985? Trump and Xi makes it topical. still a struggle to read.
Jul 04, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent beach read. There are really three different stories all contained within this one book. It requires a very healthy suspension of disbelief to accept how often Dirk Pitt gets out of seemingly impossible situations.
Honza
Jan 17, 2017 Honza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clive-cussler
Ok
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Alta Marea, in originale “Flood Tide” è un libro del 1997, romanzo del genere avventura di Clive Cussler, che è uno scrittore statunitense di romanzi d'avventura. La carriera di scrittore comincia nel 1965, mentre si ritrovava a badare ai figli la notte per sopperire alla moglie poliziotta. Esordisce nella narrativa nel 1973, con la pubblicazione del romanzo Enigma, cronologicamente il secondo romanzo dedicato alle avventure di Dirk Pitt. Solo nel 1982 viene pubblicato il primo romanzo di Pitt, ...more
Agustín Fest
Jul 21, 2011 Agustín Fest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gente que le guste la aventura y los personajes simples.
Dirk Pitt pertenece a una serie de novelas de aventuras... Generalmente, este personaje empieza teniendo unas vacaciones y de repente sucede "algo". Entonces este ingeniero naval que descubre barcos hundidos, termina adoptando el papel de Jack Bauer o John McClane: Mata a medio mundo con tal de hacer justicia y al final, cómo no, se queda con la chica.

Todas las mujeres son hermosas, y tontas, y necesitadas de rescate, como suele suceder en estos libracos. En este caso, la mujer es una agente en
Betelgeuse
May 02, 2015 Betelgeuse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chi vuole giustizia anche in fondo ai mari.
Recensione pubblicata su Cronache di Betelgeuse

Tra navi giganti scomparse nel nulla e l’immigrazione clandestina, Dirk Pitt non può prendersi neanche un attimo di pausa dopo le avventure dello scorso libro. I riferimenti sono presenti fin dal primo capitolo, rendendo così più vicine le due storie. Sinceramente ho trovato il recupero fisico e psicologico del protagonista un po’ troppo veloce, considerando quello che ha passato. Anche sul fronte amoroso riesce a trovare una nuova donna in poco tem
Bryan
Pitt meets beautiful girl, fights bad guy, saves world. The end.: I've read all of the previous Clive Cussler novels, so I of course had to pick up "Flood Tide" as well. I got through the first 400 pages before having to stop out of boredom. I then realized that I've been reading Dirk Pitt novels lately out of a sense of obligation, even though the writing has gone down hill.

The problem with "Flood Tide" is that it's just too formulaic and follows the same path as every other Pitt novel. Pitt h
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
~May contain slight spoilers.~

In this fourteenth installment of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series, Dirk is once again preventing disaster after disaster.

The ‘bad guy’ of this novel is a crazy billionaire named Qin Shang, who is suspected of using his shipping business of smuggling Chinese people into the United States and other states around the world and then using them for slave labor or worse.
He has a plan to make his business even more profitable, and if Pitt doesn’t stop him, his plan will
Christian D.  Orr
Jul 30, 2013 Christian D. Orr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lauren Chedzoy
Reading "Flood Tide" for the second time (first time was in 2001) was every bit as enjoyable as the first go-around. Moreover, while the references to the pre-DHS, pre-9/11 INS are a bit dated and anachronistic, speaking myself as someone who worked for two of INS's successor agencies, Customs & Border Protection (as a uniformed Officer at L.A./Long Beach Seaport, wherein Chinese stowaways, smuggled by the "snakeheads" of the Chinese triad crime syndicates, have been a repeat occurrence) and ...more
Balkron
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Carlie
Feb 15, 2017 Carlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He really is a fun read. I think I like Al more than Dirk!
Fiona Trowbridge
Jan 23, 2017 Fiona Trowbridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
My first encounter with Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt came to a satisfactory conclusion at 21:59

Dirk is the Special Projects Director for the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA) which normally undertakes scientific investigations and archaeological surveys of shipwrecks. However, when Dirk Pitt gets involved it’s usually because something needs a closer investigation.

Flood Tide begins with the final journey of the Princess Dou Wan, a ship sailing from China in 1949. Fast forward 50 years
Shaun
Jan 08, 2017 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read “Flood Tide” in high school (along with every other Dirk Pitt book up to that time), but I wanted to re-read it because I’m soon to begin reading the Oregon series and wanted to meet them for the first time (again) in Flood Tide. While at first, from the size of the book, which I think has to be Cussler’s longest book, that it would’ve been his BEST book. But as I reflect on it, I see that it has in many ways some of the same flaws that plague Cussler’s other books. Dirk Pitt stumbl ...more
looking for a book 1 1 May 11, 2017 11:44PM
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Bear and the Dragon (Jack Ryan Universe, #11)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)