Start by marking “Adulting 101” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,718 Ratings  ·  464 Reviews
The struggle is real.

Nick Stahlnecker is eighteen and not ready to grow up yet. He has a summer job, a case of existential panic, and a hopeless crush on the unattainable Jai Hazenbrook. Except how do you know that your coworker’s unattainable unless you ask to blow him in the porta-potty?

That’s probably not what Dad meant when he said Nick should act more like an adult.

Tw
Published August 15th 2016 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Adulting 101, please sign up.
Rachel It is available now in both paperback and kindle edition. When I did a search for it by title, only the paperback version popped up. I was able to get…moreIt is available now in both paperback and kindle edition. When I did a search for it by title, only the paperback version popped up. I was able to get to the kindle edition by going to Lisa Henry's Amazon page and selecting Kindle edition for the format.

(less)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Adorable!!

Is the intensity of the world getting you down, and you don't want to read another book about a formally abused homeless shelter volunteer finding love with a recovering alcoholic who is supporting his disabled sister in a ramshackle apartment? In the mood for something lighter? Or, dare I say it, just fun? Then you are in the right place, because this book was light, sexy, and 100% enjoyable.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Lisa Henry?? Writing fluff?! Yes, friends, Lisa
Lisa Henry
May 21, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: stuff-i-wrote
Here it is, you guys. Proof that not everything I write is first thrown into the wringer of angst and pain and despair.

I had ridiculous fun writing this, and I hope that you'll have fun reading it too.
☆ Todd
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

Lisa Henry's latest book, Adulting 101, is a fun, light, low-angst read, with tons of humor.

Nick is an 18 year old high school graduate, with no real plans for this future and absolutely no filter, but hormones to spare. He's working for the summer in an office and spends too many hours writing haiku's about his co-worker Jai's ass.

At 25, Jai returns home to Ohio every summer to work and save enough money to travel the world for the rest of the year. He tends to fall into his romantic encounte
Tanu Gill
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy. This book was so delicious!

We start off with a hilarious chat conversation between Nick and Devon. I did not have any feeling other than finding it funny. Then we meet Jai. And he is hot. Like, HOT hot! Then we start the ride of the plot of this book.

I'll start off by saying that whatever you felt when you read the title of this book is exactly what is inside the book. But it doesn't teach us how to be adults, or how to do "adulting" (yes, it is a word, okay?). No, it shows us from the p
Sheziss
It’s so hard to make a comedy. There are plenty of comedies, I know. And they are also popular.

I appreciate fun, seriously.

However, most of the times it’s just my mind the one who smiles. Sometimes my lips do.

But that’s all about it.

I’m usually this grumpy girl when everybody is obviously having a great time.

Maybe I just giggle on my own accord because I want to disconnect. But it doesn’t come from within me with full force.

I love to laugh. I really do. But very very very few times a book (or
Emma Sea
I am the luckiest person on the planet right now, because I got to beta read this. It's so good! Goddamn it's perfect! And it's all sweet and funny and not rapey AT ALL but it's still full of the best kind of Lisa Henry feels. If I rated stories I beta read I would give it all the stars.

I unreservedly think you should pre-order this sucker and swear you will not regret it.
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

➦This. book. was. funny. And also cute and sweet. It tried to be sexy too, at times, but funny suddenly burst in
Vivian
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm never going back and you can't make me.

Whoever started that ridiculous idea that late adolescence is the best years of your life needs to be flagellated. Severely. Needless to say, this is a time machine special so that the reader can recall the crappy anxiety about themselves, their life, and EVERYTHING else.

Nick Stahlnecker, recent graduate is enjoying the last summer before college--or trying to. His dad has ideas about how he needs to straighten up and fly right. Get a job. In fact, he
SheReadsALot
It's a unicorn group review with Adam, Cupcake and Sheziss

4.25 Hearts--

"Are we Netflix and chilling?"
"I don't know what that means."
"Are you twenty-five or are you eighty-five?"
"Whippersnapper."

Adulting is hard as fuck, yeah?

I mean I am one and I totally can say it's a struggle. The struggle is real.

Some days all you wanna do is this:

And adulting just comes in to ruin your day wearing a respectable pinstriped suit, waving responsibility and bills and less fun things like it was going
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Nick is an 18-year old high school graduate, spending his summer before college slacking off at his first real job while fantasizing about crossing one particular item off of his bucket list . . .

“Today’s life goal: blow Jai Hazenbrook.”

The story propels full speed ahead to a very awkward offer by Nick to do just that and an even more awkward moment of getting caught in the act in a not-so-romantic locale . . . .

And right there is
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
Reread may 2017 - This is one of those books that people will either love or hate because Nick is incredibly immature. He's also adorable and my love for him and this story hasn't lessened even a little.

All the stars (I'm about to get my stats out and I know you like it when I do that, don't lie, it turns you on)

5 (I can give it)
+ 16 (4 people gave this 1 star, they each left 4 stars so 4 x 4 = 16)
+ 102 (34 people gave this 2 stars, they each left 3 stars so 3 x 34 = 102)

123 stars because I ca
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Awkward AF stars

A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT !!

<< Unpopular Review Time >>

Ahhh .. Another bummer for me, I was really excited when i first saw this book on net-galley. I really liked the synopsis & instantly i request the book, but they rejected my request. *bloody publishers* But that made me read this book more. So, on the day of publishing i bought it on kindle and read after some days with so much excitement that i was bouncing on my seat like a child on Christmas. :D

For t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

I usually don't listen to audiobooks that I've read in ebook form because I'm always afraid that the narration will ruin the story. However, this certainly wasn't the case with Adulting 101. Nick J. Russo simply crushed it with his stellar reading.

The book was everything that I remembered. It was funny, charming, totally endearing, and sexy in a clumsy, overexcited way.

The best part of the story, other than the spot-on narration, was the bromance between the MC and his best friend.
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
I was really worried when I started this one.

I had a hard time with Nick. Some of the things out of his mouth really made me cringe.

Let's face it, I haven't been 18 for quite sometime. But I imagine a lot of what Nick went through, most kids go through. Heck, I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was 18 and went to college.

And honestly, what I do now probably isn't it. But hey, it is what it is. So with that regards, I thought this was a pretty realistic read.
Jewel
Adulting is hard. No lie. I'm 46 years old and sometimes I still have trouble with it. And the fact that I've been adulting for far longer than I should have been, interestingly enough, doesn't make it any easier. And I never did figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Adulting 101 is a very humorous story about an 18 year old boy who isn't ready to adult. Nick thinks - and I think his parents might be at least partially to blame - that he should have a clue as to what he wants to be when
Ele
"Adulting is hard.
The struggle is real.

It is. It really, really is.

Lisa Henry is one amazing storyteller! I'm usually scared shitless to pick up her books, because there's so much darkness and heartache in them. But a review promised this is not rapey, and I know that she nails NA, because Prescott College series. I'm so glad I decided to read this one.

Adulting 101 is fun! No, seriously, it's REALLY funny! The kind that makes you laugh so hard, you have to keep wiping your tears.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Unicorn Pile Review!

I seem to be on a fluffy kick lately. This was so fluffy and cute I wanted to hug it. But hugging it out with a kindle is… unsatisfying.

I know the whole “adulting is hard” thing is a pithy, slangy quip, but that doesn’t make it false. Adulting is hard. It’s a PITA sometimes. Never more so than during one of those pivotal phases of life like transitioning from living with your parents to moving into a college dorm and being on your own for the first time, an adult but not quit
BWT (Belen)
So I now know two things: 1. that even at forty I can sometimes screw up the whole "adulting" thing because I stayed up way too late reading this, and 2. I straight up loved and adored this. It was absolutely, completely, and totally worth staying up late to finish it!

Nick Stahlnecker is eighteen and wants to experience life. He's smart, but doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up, has no filter, and has a pretty co-dependent relationship with his best friend Devon. There's a lot he d
Kaje Harper
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Just a fun, light, sweet read with a very engaging young-guy narrative voice. Nick is on the cusp of adulthood, in the summer after his high school graduation. He's smart, but a bit scatterbrained and obsessive, with really crappy impulse control. He has no real goals, and a tendency to panic under pressure. (In fact, he's a scarily true-to-life middle-class-privileged 18-year-old, and an example of why a year of public service work between high-school and college would be good for ma ...more
Wendy
 photo ipqm4p_zpsndakbmm3.gif

I loved this book ! It was just what I needed.

This book is about 18 year old Nick, who by the way was awesome. He has finished high school and is right now working through his summer vacation, before he has to start college. His dad wants him to be more responsible....in other words, it's time to grow up and become an adult.

However, sucking someone off in a portable toilet ad getting caught, may not be considered the right way to go about that. Ofcourse he loses his job, as does the receiver of
K.A. Merikan
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, comedy
This book was EVERYTHING. I laughed, I cried, total meltdown.

The characters were so real, so flawed. I loved how it gently addressed 'adulting' not just for 18yo Nick, but also for 25yo Jai. That just because he was older, didn't mean he had everything figured out, and yet, he could also acknowledge the ways in which he DID grow up.

It was funny without trying too hard. The situational humor, the vivid side characters, the dialogues, the text messages, pop culture references... Ah... cloud 9 :)

Karen
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you've ever been the parent of an 18 year old...

then you know this is not a mind that you want to spend a lot of time in and yet, I was drawn to this book. Mostly because I'm more than a little impressed by this author and I was curious to see if she could pull this off. I mean seriously I wanted to see if Ms Henry was as good as I think she is because I truly think it takes balls to be a woman and write a book about an 18 year old boy.

I have 4 brothers and a son and thanks to my son I've
.Lili.
 photo image.jpg1_zpslwtfpjew.jpg

Adulting 101 was such a fun read! It's about a young man who has no clue what he wants to do with his life, a hot 25-year-old who loves to travel, and an awesome best friend.

There was so much to like about this book. Here are some of my highlights:

1. Humor. I was cracking about through almost the entirety of this book. Nick's lack of filter and the messages between him and his BFF Devon will have you smiling and forgetting your worries. <---True story!

2. Jai. He was just awesome and has been
Vitor Martins
Esse foi sem dúvidas o romance m/m MAIS LEGAL que eu já li! É divertido (real, eu dei risadas altas em vários momentos), leve e muito diferente comparado com os outros livros do gênero que eu já li.

Adulting 101 tem tudo que um BOM m/m precisa ter:
- um casal que dá vontade de shipar pra sempre.
- cenas ~quentíssimas~ risos
- BROMANCE (e nesse livro é bromance MESMO não é gay heteronormativo brother que se pega mas é macho discreto fora do meio GRAÇAS A DEUS)

E o mais importante, ele tem tudo que o
Natalia
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I liked this a lot! It made me laugh and I really needed that right now.
Jay Northcote
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a favourite read of 2016 for me. It was just what my heart needed. Cute, relatable and laugh out loud funny. Highly recommended if you want something fun to read :)
Marte - Thunderella
**** 4,5 hilarious stars ****

-------------------
"This is not a summer romance. This is a summer friendship-with-benefits. (...) That's all. There are no feelings here. None. Shut up."
-------------------

I adore Lisa Henry and her writing skills!

-------------------
"I said I'm not a finger puppet, Jai! Just put your dick in my already!"
-------------------

I loved Nick!! I loved his impulsiveness, and his malfunctioning, or should I say non-existing, brain-mouth filter.

"But, okay,
Karen
Even better the second time around...

I read the e-book for this one last summer and to say the least I really enjoyed it. Here's the link to the review I wrote at that time...my thoughts really haven't changed and it's kind of a longish review, so rather than re-post the whole thing I'll just hook you up and you can go see it if you're interested in the long version...
Adulting 101
So what's different this time? Why, I listened to the audiobook, of course.

I'm actually rating this one just a bit
Tess
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Loved, loved, loved this!!! This was the funniest book I've read in a long time. So, so funny. I'm still smiling thinking about it. It was the kind of book I know I'll read over and over again. Low angst and with a coming of age feel. And characters that I could really relate too. I know that sounds funny considering Nick is 18 and clueless but I just got him and his struggles with "adulting". And then there was Jai who was the absolute perfect boyfriend for Nick. This has the best ending
Paulo Ratz
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4,5 estrelas

Eu AMEI esse livro.

Eu nunca pensei que eu fosse ler um livro com tanta cena de sexo explicito e morrer de rir e achar fofo ao mesmo tempo. Eu andava pela rua ouvindo o audiobook e dando várias risadas. Meu deus. Esses personagens são GENIAIS!

Eu só tirei meia estrela porque em um momento mais pro final eu já estava mais disperso, mas tudo foi muito absurdamente divertido e eu conseguia imaginar as cenas da forma mais realista possível.

Recomendadíssimo, pena que não tem em português!
Turning Pages At ...: Adulting 101 ( M/M Buddy Read) by Lisa Henry 35 16 May 03, 2018 09:01AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Adulting 101, by Lisa Henry 1 8 Sep 25, 2016 10:31AM
  • Looking for Group
  • What Remains
  • Interborough (Five Boroughs, #4)
  • Open Road
  • All Note Long (Perfect Harmony, #3)
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
  • Heavy Hitters (Caribbean Tales, #2)
  • Pain Slut (The Subs Club, #2)
  • Murmuration
  • Blood & Milk
  • Overexposed (In Focus, #4)
  • Love Can't Conquer (Love Can't Series, #1)
  • If I Ever (Hell or High Water, #4)
  • Fight the Tide (Kick at the Darkness, #2)
  • Without Secrets (With or Without, #4)
  • Dinner for One (The Carlisles #1)
  • Te quiero
  • Not So Innocent (Shattered Glass, #2)
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.
More about Lisa Henry

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He just . . . Nick just wanted to be special. He wanted to be Luke, with a destiny. He wanted to be Frodo, with a quest. He wanted to be an unlikely hero and do something that mattered, but there are no quests in the real world, where everything is much bigger and more tangled and complex than in the stories he loves. In the real world, small people don’t get to be heroes, and Nick is the smallest person he knows.” 4 likes
“If Nick were on a quest to return the One Ring to the fiery pits of Mount Doom, Jai Hazenbrook would totally be the hot-as-fuck elf in tight leather pants who could shoot the left testicle off an orc at a thousand paces. Whereas Nick, of course, would be the short hairy-footed guy who liked beer and fireworks and second breakfasts. Even in his fantasy worlds, Nick is a realist.” 3 likes