Start by marking “Adulting 101” as Want to Read:
Adulting 101

Adulting 101

The struggle is real.

Nick Stahlnecker is eighteen and not ready to grow up yet. He has a summer job, a case of existential panic, and a hopeless crush on the unattainable Jai Hazenbrook. Except how do you know that your coworker’s unattainable unless you ask to blow him in the porta-potty?

That’s probably not what Dad meant when he said Nick should act more like an adult.

Tw
Published August 15th 2016 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Adulting 101, please sign up.
Rachel It is available now in both paperback and kindle edition. When I did a search for it by title, only the paperback version popped up. I was able to get…moreIt is available now in both paperback and kindle edition. When I did a search for it by title, only the paperback version popped up. I was able to get to the kindle edition by going to Lisa Henry's Amazon page and selecting Kindle edition for the format.

(less)

Start your review of Adulting 101
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Adorable!!

Is the intensity of the world getting you down, and you don't want to read another book about a formally abused homeless shelter volunteer finding love with a recovering alcoholic who is supporting his disabled sister in a ramshackle apartment? In the mood for something lighter? Or, dare I say it, just fun? Then you are in the right place, because this book was light, sexy, and 100% enjoyable.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Lisa Henry?? Writing fluff?! Yes, friends, Lis
Lisa Henry
May 21, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: stuff-i-wrote
Here it is, you guys. Proof that not everything I write is first thrown into the wringer of angst and pain and despair.

I had ridiculous fun writing this, and I hope that you'll have fun reading it too.
☆ Todd
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

Lisa Henry's latest book, Adulting 101, is a fun, light, low-angst read, with tons of humor.

Nick is an 18 year old high school graduate, with no real plans for this future and absolutely no filter, but hormones to spare. He's working for the summer in an office and spends too many hours writing haiku's about his co-worker Jai's ass.

At 25, Jai returns home to Ohio every summer to work and save enough money to travel the world for the rest of the year. He tends to fall into his romantic en
Tanu Gill
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy. This book was so delicious!

We start off with a hilarious chat conversation between Nick and Devon. I did not have any feeling other than finding it funny. Then we meet Jai. And he is hot. Like, HOT hot! Then we start the ride of the plot of this book.

I'll start off by saying that whatever you felt when you read the title of this book is exactly what is inside the book. But it doesn't teach us how to be adults, or how to do "adulting" (yes, it is a word, okay?). No, it shows us from the p
Sheziss
It’s so hard to make a comedy. There are plenty of comedies, I know. And they are also popular.

I appreciate fun, seriously.

However, most of the times it’s just my mind the one who smiles. Sometimes my lips do.

But that’s all about it.

I’m usually this grumpy girl when everybody is obviously having a great time.

Maybe I just giggle on my own accord because I want to disconnect. But it doesn’t come from within me with full force.

I love to laugh. I really do. But very very very few times a book (or
Emma Sea
I am the luckiest person on the planet right now, because I got to beta read this. It's so good! Goddamn it's perfect! And it's all sweet and funny and not rapey AT ALL but it's still full of the best kind of Lisa Henry feels. If I rated stories I beta read I would give it all the stars.

I unreservedly think you should pre-order this sucker and swear you will not regret it.
Vivian
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm never going back and you can't make me.

Whoever started that ridiculous idea that late adolescence is the best years of your life needs to be flagellated. Severely. Needless to say, this is a time machine special so that the reader can recall the crappy anxiety about themselves, their life, and EVERYTHING else.

Nick Stahlnecker, recent graduate is enjoying the last summer before college--or trying to. His dad has ideas about how he needs to straighten up and fly right. Get a job. In fact, he
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

“If Nick were on a quest to return the One Ring to the fiery pits of Mount Doom, Jai Hazenbrook would totally be the hot-as-fuck elf in tight leather pants who could shoot the left testicle off an orc at a thousand paces. Whereas Nick, of course, would be the short hairy-footed guy who liked beer and fireworks and second breakfasts. Even in his fantasy worlds, Nick is a realist.”

➦This. book. was. funny. And also cute and sweet. It tried to be sexy too, at times, but funny suddenly b
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!

This is a Lisa Henry I’ve never seen before. Well, maybe with her DiscontentedWinter alter ego, but I typically associate her with angst, drama, and suspense. This was the complete opposite.

Know that you’ll get totally likeable characters in the spastic Nick, who lacks a bit of confidence but never on spewing what’s immediately on his mind. It’s his last summer before college and there’s lots of pressure to prepare for the next level. However, Nick’s drowning in the expectations others
SheReadsALot
It's a unicorn group review with Adam, Cupcake and Sheziss

4.25 Hearts--

"Are we Netflix and chilling?"
"I don't know what that means."
"Are you twenty-five or are you eighty-five?"
"Whippersnapper."

Adulting is hard as fuck, yeah?

I mean I am one and I totally can say it's a struggle. The struggle is real.

Some days all you wanna do is this:

And adulting just comes in to ruin your day wearing a respectable pinstriped suit, waving responsibility and bills and less f
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Nick is an 18-year old high school graduate, spending his summer before college slacking off at his first real job while fantasizing about crossing one particular item off of his bucket list . . .

“Today’s life goal: blow Jai Hazenbrook.”

The story propels full speed ahead to a very awkward offer by Nick to do just that and an even more awkward moment of getting caught in the act in a not-so-romantic locale . . . .

And right the
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
Reread may 2017 - This is one of those books that people will either love or hate because Nick is incredibly immature. He's also adorable and my love for him and this story hasn't lessened even a little.

All the stars (I'm about to get my stats out and I know you like it when I do that, don't lie, it turns you on)

5 (I can give it)
+ 16 (4 people gave this 1 star, they each left 4 stars so 4 x 4 = 16)
+ 102 (34 people gave this 2 stars, they each left 3 stars so 3 x 34 = 102)

123 stars because I ca
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
I was really worried when I started this one.

I had a hard time with Nick. Some of the things out of his mouth really made me cringe.

Let's face it, I haven't been 18 for quite sometime. But I imagine a lot of what Nick went through, most kids go through. Heck, I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was 18 and went to college.

And honestly, what I do now probably isn't it. But hey, it is what it is. So with that regards, I thought this was a pretty realistic read.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

I usually don't listen to audiobooks that I've read in ebook form because I'm always afraid that the narration will ruin the story. However, this certainly wasn't the case with Adulting 101. Nick J. Russo simply crushed it with his stellar reading.

The book was everything that I remembered. It was funny, charming, totally endearing, and sexy in a clumsy, overexcited way.

The best part of the story, other than the spot-on narration, was the bromance between the MC and his best friend.
Martin
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the rarer occasions is me picking up a YA novel, LOL.

But when Lisa Henry writes one, it is a must read for me!

This is the story of Nick, 18 year old high school graduate who is about to go to college in the fall. But unlike some of his friends, he doesn't have his life mapped out in front of him.

On the contrary, he has absolutely no idea what he wants to do with his life.

Stapling paper at a construction company's office isn't really the fulfillment he's desperately seeking. While his belo
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Awkward AF stars

A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT !!

<< Unpopular Review Time >>

Ahhh .. Another bummer for me, I was really excited when i first saw this book on net-galley. I really liked the synopsis & instantly i request the book, but they rejected my request. *bloody publishers* But that made me read this book more. So, on the day of publishing i bought it on kindle and read after some days with so much excitement that i was bouncing on my seat like a child on Christmas. :D

For the first 60% i
Kaje Harper
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Just a fun, light, sweet read with a very engaging young-guy narrative voice. Nick is on the cusp of adulthood, in the summer after his high school graduation. He's smart, but a bit scatterbrained and obsessive, with really crappy impulse control. He has no real goals, and a tendency to panic under pressure. (In fact, he's a scarily true-to-life middle-class-privileged 18-year-old, and an example of why a year of public service work between high-school and college would be good for ma ...more
Ele
"Adulting is hard.
The struggle is real.

It is. It really, really is.

Lisa Henry is one amazing storyteller! I'm usually scared shitless to pick up her books, because there's so much darkness and heartache in them. But a review promised this is not rapey, and I know that she nails NA, because Prescott College series. I'm so glad I decided to read this one.

Adulting 101 is fun! No, seriously, it's REALLY funny! The kind that makes you laugh so hard, you have to keep wiping your
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Unicorn Pile Review!

I seem to be on a fluffy kick lately. This was so fluffy and cute I wanted to hug it. But hugging it out with a kindle is… unsatisfying.

I know the whole “adulting is hard” thing is a pithy, slangy quip, but that doesn’t make it false. Adulting is hard. It’s a PITA sometimes. Never more so than during one of those pivotal phases of life like transitioning from living with your parents to moving into a college dorm and being on your own for the first time, an adult but not quit
Jewel
Adulting is hard. No lie. I'm 46 years old and sometimes I still have trouble with it. And the fact that I've been adulting for far longer than I should have been, interestingly enough, doesn't make it any easier. And I never did figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Adulting 101 is a very humorous story about an 18 year old boy who isn't ready to adult. Nick thinks - and I think his parents might be at least partially to blame - that he should have a clue as to what he wants to be when
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio-4.25 stars
Story-4.5 stars

This has got to be one of the most adorably funny stories I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. 😍😂 Not only did I enjoy the relationship between the MCs, Jai and Nick, I also fell in love, and at times, swooned over the close friendship between Nick and his straight bestfriend, Devon.

I so wish this was a series, but I'd settle for a follow-up novella, since the ending was more HFN than HEA.
BWT (Belen)
So I now know two things: 1. that even at forty I can sometimes screw up the whole "adulting" thing because I stayed up way too late reading this, and 2. I straight up loved and adored this. It was absolutely, completely, and totally worth staying up late to finish it!

Nick Stahlnecker is eighteen and wants to experience life. He's smart, but doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up, has no filter, and has a pretty co-dependent relationship with his best friend Devon. There's a lot he d
Wendy
 photo ipqm4p_zpsndakbmm3.gif

I loved this book ! It was just what I needed.

This book is about 18 year old Nick, who by the way was awesome. He has finished high school and is right now working through his summer vacation, before he has to start college. His dad wants him to be more responsible....in other words, it's time to grow up and become an adult.

However, sucking someone off in a portable toilet ad getting caught, may not be considered the right way to go about that. Ofcourse he loses his job, as does the receiver
K.A. Merikan
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r-read, gay, comedy
This book was EVERYTHING. I laughed, I cried, total meltdown.

The characters were so real, so flawed. I loved how it gently addressed 'adulting' not just for 18yo Nick, but also for 25yo Jai. That just because he was older, didn't mean he had everything figured out, and yet, he could also acknowledge the ways in which he DID grow up.

It was funny without trying too hard. The situational humor, the vivid side characters, the dialogues, the text messages, pop culture references... Ah... cloud 9 :)

Moony Eliver
Cute, funny, sexy. Very rereadable. And I even loved the audiobook, who am I.
Meags
4.5 Stars

Adulting 101 is a mood-boosting coming-of-age romance, that managed to be both emotionally charged and funny as hell.

Nick, our 18-year-old goofy MC, is a hot mess and it was fantastic. Even at 35 I could relate to all of Nick’s fears and insecurities about life and purpose—seriously, that shit never goes away (unless you’re some magical unicorn that loves what they do and where they are in life, you lucky bastards!). Nick is one of those characters that verbally vomits on everyone he m
Karen
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you've ever been the parent of an 18 year old...

then you know this is not a mind that you want to spend a lot of time in and yet, I was drawn to this book. Mostly because I'm more than a little impressed by this author and I was curious to see if she could pull this off. I mean seriously I wanted to see if Ms Henry was as good as I think she is because I truly think it takes balls to be a woman and write a book about an 18 year old boy.

I have 4 brothers and a son and thanks to my son I'
Natalia
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I liked this a lot! It made me laugh and I really needed that right now.
Dia
4,25 stars

This book was extremely funny. I had so much fun reading it. I laughed so hard so many times! I highlighted so much. Most of them can't be shared here. Or shouldn't. I don't know. I just know I had such a great time reading this... I laughed so hard! My husband wasn't that impressed when I read to him some excerpts but I told him he should read this on his own to get it ;)
Wish I could express better how much I enjoyed reading this. Super funny AND well written doesn't even cover it!
.Lili.
Shelves: m-m
 photo image.jpg1_zpslwtfpjew.jpg

Adulting 101 was such a fun read! It's about a young man who has no clue what he wants to do with his life, a hot 25-year-old who loves to travel, and an awesome best friend.

There was so much to like about this book. Here are some of my highlights:

1. Humor. I was cracking about through almost the entirety of this book. Nick's lack of filter and the messages between him and his BFF Devon will have you smiling and forgetting your worries. <---True story!

2. Jai. He was just awesome and has been ad
Turning Pages At ...: Adulting 101 ( M/M Buddy Read) by Lisa Henry 35 16 May 03, 2018 09:01AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Adulting 101, by Lisa Henry 1 8 Sep 25, 2016 10:31AM

• Just the Tip
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • To Have It All
  • Spring Strings
  • Beauty and the Bookworm (Beauty and the Bookworm #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe (Blame It on the Mistletoe, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Rattlesnake
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Locker Room
  • Winging It
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • A King in Wonderland (Happily Ever Asher, #3)
  • Reversed Order Existence (Reversed Order Series #1)
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.