Start by marking “Bloodwalker” as Want to Read:

Bloodwalker

Lightning flashes. Another child disappears…

When Zorka Circus performs, its big top roars with laughter and cheers, but when it moves on, there are fewer children in the European towns it leaves behind.

Circus Security Chief Rurik suspects a killer hides among the international performers, but they close ranks—they’ve always viewed lightning-scarred Rurik as the monster. Ne
Published October 4th 2016 by Freedom Fox Press (Dancing Lemur Press L.L.C.)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodwalker

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Pure reading enjoyment!

Absolutely unique, unusual and brilliant! I loved everything about this novel and feel honoured to be posting the first ever review of it on Goodreads. This is a new author to me that I am now a big fan of and keen to read more of her books. She's got one heck of an imagination.

Bloodwalkers.

Nope, not Vampires but human beings who hail from Romania and carry within them the knowledge and teachings of the Bloodwalkers that have gone before them, generations upon generations.
Lisa
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am still deciding how to describe THE BLOODWALKERS By LX CAIN superb outstanding just bloody brilliant its unlike anything I've read before in the horror genre, set in Hungary which I loved the premise just jumped right out at you was riveting from start to finish just loved everything about this, nothing to complain about what so ever.

Zorka circus big top roars with laughter & cheers, but when it moves on children vanish.

The security chief of the circus Rurik suspects that a killer is amo
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
There is a shadow hanging over the Zorka Circus. Stop after stop, children are disappearing. Who is taking them? Why? It is up to Rurik to uncover these hideous crimes.

L.X. Cain has unmasked the workings of an Eastern European circus. She has taken her readers on a tour of the big top, the RVs and all of the characters that it takes to make a circus function. We get an in depth view of the power struggles, the cliques and the family that is “the circus”.

In addition to the circus, L.X. Cain takes
The Grim Reader
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Bloodwalker’ is my first read by L.X. Cain. You may think from the title that the book is about vampires, but that would be incorrect. ‘Bloodwalker’ is the story of Rurik (former circus strong man and security chief), and young Sylvie who is a Skomori. The Skomori are sort of carers of the dead and Sylvie is on her way to an arranged marriage, though against her wishes. She becomes involved in the plot arc when she discovers a body, leading to her becoming an outcast among her people . The two ...more
Pat
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a huge departure from my usual fare - ah you gotta have some variety yeah? Given the subject matter I enjoyed it as much as I could but I didn't love it.

Rural is the security chief of a European circus. He used to be a strongman but after being hit by lightning his face and part of his upper body are so scarred he frightens people so now he works behind the scenes. He is also phenomenally strong as his bones somehow strengthened even more from the lightning strike. Unfortunately, e
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Pure reading enjoyment!

Bloodwalkers.

Frank Errington
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy

L.X. Cain has created a richly crafted old-world backdrop for her story.

Bloodwalker is a puzzle involving two distinct story-lines blended into one delightfully horrible tale. On one hand, it's about a troubled circus, the murders that follow wherever it goes, and the severely scarred head of security, Rurik, who is obsessed with finding the party responsible.

The first thread ....

"Somewhere in the Zorka Cyrka—his home since childhood—among the circus tents, RVs, dressing rooms, and sh
Mark Tilbury
This book is a truly unique piece of fiction. A mix of genres, a cast of diverse and complex personalities, and writing that transports you into the events of the book. Main character, Rurik, is far from perfect. Having been through some tough times and experienced things he’d rather forget, it’s his job to keep a travelling circus safe – and keep the lurking evil out.

Children disappear from wherever the circus performs, and Rurik is determined to try and stop it happening any more. There are so
Liz
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bloodwalker has nothing to do with vampires. Zero, zip, nada. This book is all about Zorka Circus with Russians, Italians, Romanians, Hungarians. It’s also about humans… and the not so humane! Be warned… and make sure you read this book late at night, when it’s dark and stormy and you’re home alone.Go on, I dare you :)

For Rurik, Zorka Circus is everything. It’s his life. The circus owner Alyosha is like a father figure to Rurik as Alyosha took him in and gave him a home, a place of work and a
David Baird
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say this one surprised me… the synopsis only scratches the surface of the tale and the twists that played out definitely had the shock factor

Two stories collide in this tale. The first being Sylvie, she’s a bloodwalker..although not a very good one. By some bloodwalkers would be classed as special but others look down on them. They help deal with death and I just loved how each chapter started with a quote from the bloodwalker handbook.

Rurik on the otherhand is a security guard wo
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
L.X Cain put a lot of thought and research into the background for her Bloodwalker novel. The Skomori Bloodwalkers seemed believable enough that I actually spend a few minutes googling various derivations of the name. I needed to see if there was such a thing as Hungarian Bloodwalkers. I found nothing but positive reviews for Bloodwalker. Honestly, I wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or disappointed. It seems like there’s so much potential for a rich and interesting history in/of the clan in ge ...more
Nev Murray
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Intrigue and mystery are probably the key words for this one. You know what is happening but right up to the last few chapters you never know who the villain is. You might guess but you will be wrong. When you do figure it out, that’s when things really kick off and the monsters appear. But I am starting to say too much. I’ll leave it there."

See here for the full review:

Tavleen Kaur
My Rating: 4.5 stars

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Bloodwalker is a paranormal thriller by L.X Cain. It starts in Budapest, Hungary where something sinister is happening. Children are being kidnapped by a man dressed as a clown. Rurik, the Security Chief of circus Zorka Circus and one of the main characters, is trying to catch him. A young girl called Sylvie arrives in Budapest. She belongs to the Skomori clan which consists of bloodwalkers.

Th
Tonja Drecker
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one has so many thrills and chills, it bordered on horror while taking the lovely pace of a mystery. It's easy to sink into the eastern European scenes and picture the world as if it were happening before your eyes. Especially the characters grab with their interesting quirks, shadows and inner battles. This one had me on the edge of my seat...with chills running up and down my spine...until the very last page.
Jeff Chapman
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, thriller, mystery
Bloodwalker is an amazing read. The story takes us inside a circus, where a mix of fierce loyalty, suspicion, and petty jealousy simmers among the performers. Another thread takes us inside the bloodwalker clan, whose practices and beliefs seem as antiquated as they are bizarre. Cain prefaces each chapter with an excerpt from The Bloodwalker's Book, a manual on handling the dead, a ghoulish touch.

Rurik and Sylvie are exceptionally likable characters and both are committed to integrity. They are
O. D. Book Reviews
Description:
As a circus moves through Europe a child vanishes from each city they stop in. A self-proclaimed monster and disfigured former strongman, Rurik notices the connection and is forced to investigate his own circus family to prevent any more children from going missing. A young bloodwalker woman, Sylvie, is trying to start a new life but in the process finds herself caught up in the danger, and being hunted by the very people Rurik is after. This is a story of 2 underdog protagonists th
Cathy Geha
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of two people who meet for moments but are intrinsically entwined in some unknowable way. It is well written, intense and action-packed and kept my interest from beginning to end. The author has created two groups of people with their own communities and rules that don’t always overlap easily. The Bloodwalkers and the circus people should not have much in common but…in this story they definitely do share something that is definitely not sugar and spice and everything nice.

Sylv
Becky Cox
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional from beginning to end.

I anticipated this being a vampire book, which I enjoy vampire books so that was fine; but I got something entirely different and couldn't have been more pleased.

Cain wrote a window into the hardships and joys of life in the circus in Eastern Europe, the Zorka Cyrka. The characters were so vivid and their experiences so real. I could picture each person as I was reading. Brilliantly descriptive without being overdone. I felt their tired bones, frustration, affec
Petuli
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an e-arc copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Bloodwalker is a reaally interesting mix of everything. As for the genre, there are some elements of fantasy, focusing on traditions, horror and mystery. There is a fast and gripping story but there is also a romance part.

In the story we follow two main POVs told by our two main characters. As you can imagine, both stories intertwine. The first one is Rurik - the Chief of Security in Zorka Circus.
Lincoln Farish
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First thing is the cover. It’s not often I complement another author’s cover, but in this case it’s a damn good image. Read the book and you will understand how the cover tells the story without giving anything away. There is a mélange of genres in this tale woven together like a fine linen shirt. My best comparison is Bloodwalker is the horror version of Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants. There is a touch of romance, mystery, horror, and a reveal of the precarious life of someone who is not a pe ...more
Angela Crawford
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this story.

Bloodwalker had me hooked from the very first page. The circus setting is already creepy because, you know,,, CLOWNS ARE EVIL!!! Throw in the fact that every town that the Zorka Circus performs in is missing a child or two, a gallant Chief of Security and friends trying to find and stop the murderer, the mysterious Skomori Bloodwalkers, and enough twists to keep you guessing a
Mae Clair
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know if bloodwalkers were part of folklore, but they make for compelling reading. A group of women dedicated to preparing the dead for burial they have a strict code of conduct overseen by a matriarchal-like figure. L. X. Cain weaves a tale that combines the story of a young bloodwalker named Sylvie whose life intersects with a traveling circus and the circus’ head of security, Rurik.

Although the book is set in modern times, there is a wonderful old-world feel to it that is thoroughly b
Stuart West
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a fan of Ms. Cain's Soulhunter, a terrific YA horror debut. I wondered what would happen if she tackled an adult horror tale, and dang if she hasn't delivered! Her prose is excellent, at times stunning. The setting of a European carnival provides exotic backdrop and the lead two characters are interesting and very empathetic. This book oozes with atmosphere and there's a compelling murder mystery to boot. The tension's high as everything speeds toward an exciting conclusion. And, c'mon! Yo ...more
Dylan
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Zorka Circus is travelling through Europe, but each time it moves on a child goes missing. Scarred by lightning, the circus’ security guard, Rurik, suspects the killer is one of the performers, and he sets out to stop the murders. Sylvie is a Bloodwalker, one of the Skomori clan who prepare corpses post-death, and she is drawn into this terrifying scenario on the day of her wedding. The two of them try to uncover the murderer, without realizing the horror they will find when they eventually ...more
C. McKenzie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
L.X. Cain's Bloodwalker launches the reader into pure horror from page one and only increases the depth of heart-pounding fear as the story progresses. And she doesn't stint on developing some fascinating characters either. The story is filled with bizarre and mysterious people, but the main characters shine.

One protagonist, Rurik, is a circus strongman who works as the security guard for the circus. A Romanian Quasimoto, he's a man with a great heart who has been deformed by nature. It's his ke
Lucy Dosch
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a horror novel with some disturbing imagery. I was immediately drawn into the story and equally intrigued and creeped out by it.

When I originally read the description of this story, I thought Bloodwalkers were going to be some kind of vampire. They are not. Bloodwalkers are the terms for the women who would act as undertakers for centuries. A tradition handed down from mother to daughter. While these traditions are necessary in these small, rural villages in eastern Europe where modern m
Robert Vanneste
I liked this book overall . The middle European locales ( Hungary and Romania ) , a old world circus element , the different Slavic ethnic groups all gave it a exotic flavor . The writing was good . I didn't like the end . I felt like it went on longer than it should have . But it is a entertaining read .
Mandy
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I was given an advance copy of this book by the author in exchange for an unbiased review. Brief plot spoilers may follow.*

Bloodwalker tells the story of Rurik, a former Zorka Circus strongman turned head security for the troupe, who notices more than a coincidence when local children continue to come up missing during the circus' tours through different cities, kidnapped by someone wearing a clown's costume. His independent investigations lead him to several suspects in the circus, one of wh
Sahara Foley
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
* I was given a free copy of this book for an honest review. *
Since I'm known for doing book reviews, I get approached all the time by authors begging me to read and review their books. I generally ignore them, as I already have plenty of books on my kindle to read. But I must have been in a mood for a good horror story, and the blurb sounded intriguing, so I agreed. And I'm glad I did.
The story takes place in Hungary, and it drew me in from the very beginning as we're introduced to Rurik, who'
Erica
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: The author provided a free ARC of the ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Rurik, scarred and freakishly strong from being struck by lightning twice, works security at the Zorka circus. Normally that involves just keeping general order, but lately he has noticed children disappearing. After saving a boy from a murderous clown, he begins an investigation into the child's disappearances. However, even though the circus is supposed to be a family, Rurik finds that the subtle divisions and t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Soul Cutter
  • Princess of Light (Heirs of a Broken Land Series, #1)
  • The Labyrinth Wall
  • Into the Dark, Vol. 1 (Into the Dark, #1)
  • Morning Stars (The Noctivagas Chronicle, #2)
  • Hearts of Stone (Dracula, #1)
  • The Mark of Cain (The Cain Chronicles #1)
  • The Benighted (The Benighted Saga, #1)
  • Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)
  • Seeing Light (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy, #3)
  • Gemini of Emreiana (Gemini, #1)
  • De stem van de zee (Eiland in de mist, #1)
  • No Man's Land
  • Song of the Sending (The Expatriates, #1)
  • Alloria (Labyrinth of labyrinths, #1)
  • Atlantis Quest (Atlantis Rising, #2)
  • Fire & Ice (Book of Shadows, #1)
  • Mind Virus
Author of novel Bloodwalker (Thriller/Mystery), Soul Cutter (Horror/Paranormal), and upcoming novels: Coldest Night and Paris Underworld.

Also author of short Horror stories "Biggun," "The Mission," and "The Inter-Galactic Gourmet" for sale on Smashwords.

Connect with LX on: