Jump to ratings and reviews

Coming Out

A long time ago, on a playground far, far away, an awkward boy with two mothers and a penchant for pink shirts shook a tough girl’s hand over the rattled frame of a deposed playground bully.

Tamsyn promised to be Rodrigo’s bodyguard if he’d draw her pictures of girls wearing superhero capes. Rodrigo promised to be Tamsyn’s buddy if she’d let him braid her hair.

A deal, struck. A partnership, forged. And the timid gay boy and the fearless straight girl became inseparable.

Now college graduation looms, and Rodrigo questions his place in the world. He has no boyfriend. No job. And a sudden—arousing—fascination with the female body. Correction: with Tamsyn’s body.

Then one night, a golden ticket from a broken piñata introduces him to the man he’s wanted for years. Now he’s torn between pursuing these strange feelings for Tamsyn or following the guy of his dreams.

Best friends forever.

If love doesn’t break them up first.

Stand-alone

ebook

First published January 1, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Seven Slade

1 book11 followers
Seven Slade is the seventh Slade of seven Slades. A native of the seventh largest city on one of the seven continents, Seven is seven times more likely to eat tacos on a Saturday than on a Tuesday. Seven wrote seven other books as someone else you may have heard of, but don’t let that distract you. It’s totally irrelevant. Seven’s favorite number is eight.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,175 followers
July 7, 2016

description

Rodrigo & Tamsyn have been besties since elementary school. Where she saved him from a bully who said that it's uncool for a boy to wear a pink shirt. That's what she's been doing ever since. Getting into fights with homophobic idiots to save her best friend.

What both of them don't know....they're kind of in love with each other. Even though Rodrigo is as gay as a gay virgin can be, and Tamsyn is in a relationship... -ish. ☺ But she's been kind of in love with Rodrigo forever!

And recently Rodrigo's penis (aka WILLIE WILLINGTON - with whom he talks all the time☺) Willie seems very interested in Tamsyn's boobs. What's with that??? Better to keep it a secret. And also, he's verrrry interested in losing his V-card to rocker-hottie Simon Sex.

But Simon is not gay....or is he? Or maybe bi?? Is Rodrigo bi?? How is a virgin supposed to know all these things??? ☺

What will happen to Tamsyn & Rodrigo?
Will there be a bi-straight-gay-confuzzled Happily Ever After??
Or will they just stay BFFs forever?
Will the mutual attraction destroy their friendship???
Or will there be a huge Cliffy??

description

I'm not telling you that of course ☺

═════════════════════════════════

description

I had NO idea what to expect from this book.
And I was positively suprised.

It was an adorable and very hilarious, but still very serious story of two best friends who find themselves suddenly in love with the other.

I loved Willie!! The talking penis. He reminded me a lot of The Inner Goddess from Fifty Shades, only much better, because I didn't like that Goddess stuff at all!

It's so heartbreakingly adorable to watch Rodrigo and Tamsyn trying to forget about their attraction. They don't want to destroy their friendship.

There's parents to consider, the LGBT community at college, future workplaces, girlfriends and boyfriends .... lots of fears to face until we might see that HEA on the horizon! ☺

The story was a tiny bit too over-the-top sometimes ... with the way both of them compare things or people to other things or people... it didn't bother me much, it was just a bit too ridiculous at times. ☺ Example:

He's hotter than a steel bridge in a Florida heat wave.

And that's one of the more harmless ones. ☺☺☺

But I realllly enjoyed reading this book!

COMING OUT was such a colorful and adorable story about two people searching for their place in life and love. Run to your nearest amazon to find out if they succeed!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Donna ~ The Romance Cover.
2,754 reviews313 followers
July 13, 2016
Coming Out by Seven Slade
3 stars!!

“Friends forever.
Got your back.
For worse or better.
Kiss my sac.”

Coming Out is a YA/NA LGBTQ book which is the first book by Seven Slade. Seven Slade is a pen name for an established author and I must say I am curious as to who it is. Whoever it is definitely has a sense of humour.

Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been best friends since school, a friendship that has now got fifteen years of memories under its belt and a friendship that is as strong and impenetrable as Fort Knox. Tamsyn is definitely the stronger of the two in most respects and has been Rodrigo’s guardian angel, protecting him from bullies and bigots alike, all because Rodrigo is gay. Their friendship is one that will make you smile and be a little green with envy. They finish each other’s sentences, know what the other is thinking and saying with just a look, they have been there for each other through thick and thin and they rely on each other implicitly. Everyone will want a friendship like theirs.

“Am I attracted to men? Hell, yes. And apparently women, too. But the attraction is skin-deep. It’s biological. It’s an extrinsic cocktail of hormones and pheromones and endorphins triggered by a body that cheated itself.”

Tamsyn is an interesting character who says what she thinks, she has no filter, can talk with her fists with the best of them, has her own eclectic style and works the streets collecting rubbish. She had to give up her education to pay for her father’s medical bills and since his passing has become a little introverted with her thoughts and feelings, even with Rodrigo. She is an intense character but one that you cannot help but love, especially her friendship with Rodrigo. For Tamsyn though the lines are getting extremely blurry, she loves Rodrigo, but not so much as a friend, she has fallen in love love, that love, I want to jump your bones love, but he is gay.

“…you can’t always be my knight in shining armor, Joan of Arc.”

Rodrigo was adorable with a capital A, he was the president of the LGBTQ Association, was on the tennis team, was a talented artist and was coming up to graduation. He had a wise head on his shoulders and was the sounding board and advice line to many a person struggling with their sexuality. His work and love for the LGBTQ community was tireless and he was revered by many. Rodrigo cherished his friendship with Tamsyn but just recently he had begun to question his own sexuality, was he gay? Was he Bi? Was he straight? Or was he just bicurious? The man of his dreams, Simon suddenly becomes a potential reality but the trouble is, Rodrigo had begun to notice boobs, and not just any boobs…Tamsyn’s boobs and it seems his willie was in agreement.

“Simon’s the flick in my Bic, the affection in my erection, and hopefully soon, the dick in my dickies.”

For me personally, this was a book of two halves and I have to admit I came close to a DNF. The first forty percent was a tough read for me, mainly because the majority of the dialogue or should I say inner monologue was between Rodrigo and his willie. Yes, Rodrigo talks to his dick…A LOT! While in the first instance I found it funny, after a while it just became tedious and monotonous and I lost my reading mojo. But I am a sticker and I love to give every book the benefit of the doubt and so I carried on. The second half really picked up as both of them begin to explore others leading to, at times, disastrous consequences.

“I’ll tell the world about the two of you. Let’s see how his precious little queer community likes finding out their rainbow warrior is really a monochromatic muff muncher.”

But most of all this was a book about labels and more importantly how we should just ignore them. Be who you are, be what your heart and head is telling you and who cares about what others think. It is your life, your choices, don’t be afraid. Don’t pigeon hole yourself, who cares for stereotypes, just be you, there is only one you, be proud of that. Love doesn’t come in one shape or form, you don’t find it, it picks you. The heart wants who the heart wants no matter if it is man or woman. Love should make you happy, not a means to conform, love transcends labels, love for you, love for love in return, just be happy.

“You’re the most beautiful gift I never knew I had.”

Seven Slade delivers a thought provoking book, that was hilarious at times and deadly serious in others. While the first half was a two for me, the second half was a decent four so I have averaged it out for a three. So even if you, like me, struggle in the beginning, give it a chance, because this book carries a great underlying message. But and as I always, these are my thoughts and opinions and mine alone, what didn’t work for me, may work for you.

www.theromancecover.com

Profile Image for Pao.
140 reviews44 followers
July 15, 2016
"I did nothing wrong by falling for my best friend. She might have just as easily been a man. Or a transgender woman. Or a man and a woman.
Love is love.
And I lover her."

"It's clear to me now that you have picked a side. [...] You sided with humanity, which is far better choice than gay, straight, bi, or anything else."

I think I've found my book of the year ❤.❤. Coming out was such a beautiful read that shows how life would be much easier if we didn't insist in labeling ourselves and everyone else.

Amazingly including, powerful, inspiring and FUNNY AS HELL. Seriously, Rodrigo and Tamsyn, A.K.A RIGOSYN!, are #relationshipgoals. Hilarious af around each other. I love them.

Wonderful debut Seven Slade ;). Can't wait to read more of your stories.

Profile Image for Christina.
1,363 reviews100 followers
July 13, 2016
Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been the best of friends for as long as they can remember. From diapers all the way through college they have leaned on each other through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Their relationship has been almost like that of siblings, but lately there have been more subtle looks and touches. Unknowingly, each is interested in the other but there is only one problem, Rodrigo is gay.

Rodrigo is the president of his university’s LGBTQA Association. Even though he doesn’t have the sexual experience to “prove” it, he has associated as gay his entire life. So when he has the opportunity to pursue a relationship with his rock star crush, will he finally be able to wear the title of president in good faith? Or will his feelings for Tamsyn get the best of him? And what about Tamsyn? Unknown to Rodrigo she’s been in a relationship with a woman for a couple of months. What will Rodrigo do when he finds out that Tamsyn hasn’t exactly been forthcoming in her own sexual background?

Coming Out is on the spicier side of YA. I would definitely recommend it for older teens, especially for those that feel like they’re on the outside of the LGBTQ community, when they’d like to be more involved. This story could easily be translated into different genders, expressions, or couplings, and still convey the message of acceptance at an awkward point in our lives; that time when we’re supposed to be “coming of age” but having more questions than answers.

Coming Out is a different kind of coming out story. It’s a laugh out loud, yet touching and sweet love story that questions what it truly means to love and how sometimes that connection transcends the labels that society puts on it. It proves that in the end, love is love.

Complimentary copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kendall Grey.
Author 29 books1,611 followers
Read
October 9, 2017
COMING OUT is a sweet story about a gay guy who seemingly has it all and his female best friend of many years who has very little. Rodrigo has been fawning over Simon Sex, lead singer of his and Tamsyn's favorite band, for ages when the unthinkable happens: he gets to meet Simon backstage up front and personal. Rodrigo discovers that Simon's not exactly what he dreamed he would be. Not only that, he also can't stop thinking about his bestie's boobs, which is a real problem for the president of the LGBTQ club with two moms and a reputation as a virtual gay icon around campus.

And Tamsyn has problems of her own. She's been secretly crushing on Rodrigo for years and has finally admitted to herself that he and she are never gonna be. She finds herself in the arms of someone else and must decide how to break it off, but naturally, things are complicated. A comedy of errors ensues as Rodrigo and Tamsyn try to figure out who/what they are amid a swirling, sometimes dangerous torrent of what everyone else expects them to be.

The takeaway from this book is that love is love, and just because you grow up thinking you're one thing doesn't mean you're stuck being that thing forever. People can change, and change is okay.

Fans of friends-to-lovers books (with a twist) will enjoy COMING OUT.
Profile Image for GTR33GURL.
849 reviews1 follower
May 31, 2017
Loving coming of age book bff to lovers books are my favourite and Tamsyn and Rodrigo were amazing humans kind compassionate and totally in love was so heartwarming to watch the relationship transition from bff to lovers very emotional but in the best way possible I enjoyed this book immensely
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
1,190 reviews10 followers
July 12, 2016
I am having a hard time with how to say how much I loved
this story. How do you put into words, a feeling? This book
left me weepy(In a good way), in Awe of a wonderful Love,
and laughing like a loon when Tamsyn Took her revenge, on
Rodrigo’s latest bully. So since I cannot put it one word I’ll
Just say” this book left me feeling great”. Now, this is not
your typical love story. It seems our Heroin and Hero of this
book where the last ones to see, what was right under their
noses and in there heart’s. Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been
friends since well forever. And both are starting to realize
they have more than friendly feeling for one another. As
Rodrigo put it he can’t stop thinking of boobs, and for a gay
guy that’s just weird. LOL. But just when he starts to have
these feelings, a chance of a lifetime is thrust into his hands.
Simon the lead singer of a band Rodrigo loves. And Rodrigo
has had a crush on him for years. Now it seems Simon is
interested in him. And he is torn, between his dream man
or the love of his life and friend. How will he ever choose?
It all comes down to one or maybe two kisses.
But will they be able to handle all the fall out.

If you read and enjoy this book, please consider leaving
a review. The Authors really like it when you do;
they value your opinions too.
Profile Image for Kim.
592 reviews11 followers
July 12, 2016

Rodrigo is a hot panty dropping aspiring artist who specializes in piñatas. He is proud and out gay member of the LBGT, but also keeping him being a virgin secret... He is battling with his "Willie" (yes, his penis who he holds conversations with) on which sex will be the one to fix that in his four weeks left of college.

Tamsyn is independent, stubborn and strong  willed woman. She has been standing up for Rodrigo since the first day the met. Always looking for a fight and always enjoying the verbal assaults. Her life is turning in one questioning thought after the other.

Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been the greatest of friends since childhood and now they have reached their college years and are starting to secretly question themselves if they want to be more than friends and are timid to take that chance. Not only in the fear of destroying their friendship but also questioning if they really are gay and then destroying everything they believed they were.

The story was very easy to follow and the analogies in Seven Slade's writing make me laugh and think a lot. I was wrapped up in these characters, loving their interactions with each other and his family.  There is a lot of heart and humor in this story and i'm looking forward to more from Seven.

Profile Image for SueBee★bring me an alpha!★.
2,417 reviews13.8k followers
Shelved as 'consider-later'
June 20, 2016

✿ ✿ ✿ ARC Giveaway! ✿ ✿ ✿
Part of the Shh… Summer Buzz Book Event 2016!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book ARC Giveaway: https://goo.gl/uqgC3u
Win ARCs for all the Buzz Books featured!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Books: https://goo.gl/4p43qo
Jun-Sep book, release & ARC info!!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book Calendar: https://goo.gl/78NlrK
All Buzz Books organized by week of release!
❀ Join Shh…: http://goo.gl/OmQUZv
Join for direct links to work. GR redirects all non-members to group home.
❀ RSVP: https://goo.gl/bvZGC3
❀ Author sign-up: https://goo.gl/uUUetK
Profile Image for Rebecca Austin.
2,976 reviews3 followers
September 19, 2017
Rodrigo Vega-Goldstein has been gay for as long as he can remember and his best friend, Tamsyn Archer has always been by his side beating up anyone who puts him down. But lately Rodrigo has developed feelings for Tamsyn that seem to be a little more than friends leaving him confused about his "status".

Tamsyn Archer has had feelings for Rodrigo for as long as she can remember but being a straight girl in love with your gay best friend isn't working out for her. Tamsyn begins a relationship with Chris hoping things will become more clear to her.

When Rodrigo meets Simon , the lead singer of a local band that he has been fantasizing about for years he is hoping that Simon will become the man of his dreams. But sometimes fantasies don't work out the way we think they will and love is where we least expect it to be.

This was a great book about finding love and yourself among stereotypes, fantasies and the pressures of every day life.

I liked Rodrigo and could completely understand what he was going through in trying to find out who he really was. He was labelled a certain way and as president of the local LGBTQ group at school he knew what he was supposed to feel and how he was to act. Yet he had feelings for Tamsyn but didn't know if they were real or just a hidden infatuation. He got involved with Simon yet things there didn't feel right.

Tamsyn was going through her own identity crisis and in her relationship with Chris they had tension over Rodrigo as Tamsyn spent a lot of time with him. Tamsyn also had her own emotional issues as she was in a job that deep down she knew she was better than but she held on due to her dad.

I loved Rodrigo's dreams about Tamsyn and I wondered what was going to happen if they actually did get together! Nothing was a disappointment!

One of my favorite parts was the speech Rodrigo gave at the end and it really shows how people don't need a label - just let them be themselves!
Profile Image for Teresa LaBella.
Author 13 books53 followers
September 5, 2017
Characters always drive the story and the main characters in Seven Slade's novel - Rodrigo and Tamsyn - are definitely in the drivers' seat from the first to the last page.

Although the freshness of the "he-said, she-said" first person point of view shift from chapter to chapter is starting to stale, it works in "Coming Out." The best friends since grade school struggle with their evolving relationship into adulthood against the backdrop of their individual search for self identity. Raised by his mothers to accept himself and others as they are for what they are, Rodrigo grows up believing he is gay. Straight yet straying bisexual Tamsyn comes to his rescue when the bullies taunt him. Rodrigo casts her as his superhero protector, a role she willingly accepts. He catches and comforts her whenever her world falls apart. They love each other for 15 years in different, and eventually not so different ways. Coming to terms with those feelings and their sexuality is what "Coming Out" is all about.

While I admired the author's snappy writing style, I have a problem with the premise of her story. Sexual orientation is not a choice. It's like the color of our skin. We are born with it. Some may try to deny it or hide it. Live a lie for awhile. But changing what gender, or genders, we are drawn to love is not possible. This novel can be enjoyed if the reader can accept that this is fiction.

Profile Image for Tiffany.
597 reviews12 followers
September 21, 2017
I absolutely loved this book! I went into this book blind, not knowing what it was about, but assuming I did from the title. But it was so much more than I expected!

"If he knew what his body did to mine, he'd unfriend me in an instant."

And haven't we all been there...huge crush on our best friend. Of course, Tamsyn also has the little added problem of her best friend, Rodrigo, being gay.

I adored Rodrigo - such a sweet man, a fantastic best friend, and a wonderful human being. I loved the way he treated Tamsyn the most. Tamsyn has gone through a lot, but the one thing that was always by her side was Rodrigo. I want their friendship!

"I have no words, only a head full of need, a heart full of love, and a body full of sated lust.

This story was funny! I really enjoyed the overall humor of the story as well as the sweet times, the sexy times, and all the times in between. I certainly hope that there will be more of Tamsyn's & Rodrigo's story!

And don't forget..."Friends forever, got your back. For worse or better, kiss my sac."
(5 stars)
Profile Image for Tiffany.
468 reviews
August 8, 2017
4.5 Coming Out Stars!

Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been friends since they were little kids. Rodrigo has always been labeled as gay and accepted that he was in fact attracted to men. Tamsyn has always been straight but decides she may explore some. But then Rodrigo starts to have a major attraction to his best friend to his utter dismay. He is so confused, why is he liking the looks of her body parts?!

This book was really good, I didn't know how I was going to feel about it going in. And quite honestly I loved the cover of the book. But this story definitely brings to light so many gender issues that we see everyday in our world. You never really know what is going on in someone's mind and heart.
Profile Image for Brittany Hively.
407 reviews8 followers
September 27, 2017
Here's my honesty for this book. I chose to read this book because so many people seemed a tad bit hesitant to read. I am not sure why, but it made it more intriguing.

So, since I never read the synopsis, I just grab and read, I had no idea what this story was about. I, however, was pretty surprised about the storyline. I can't tell you what surprised me because that would ruin the whole story for you.

I love the way the cover ties in with the story and the message that comes from the book. Be yourself, no matter what. I also believe that the story gives a great message about discovering yourself and how it is never too late to discover yourself or change your course in life.

Fabulous book and I am glad I decided to grab it!

You can grab it too! http://amzn.to/2fREEn6
Profile Image for Tammy Deighan.
141 reviews1 follower
August 11, 2017
This author had a really great way to look at all sides of sexuality. Coming Out is just that about two main characters that are trying to figure out how they truly feel about the same sex. But actually it really tells a great story of two people growing up together and always having each others backs and finding out what that means.. Rodrigo was always supported no matter what he did with his family. Tamsyn had a tough time with the lose of her father at a important time of her life. The Author really did a great job writing this book and keeping you into the lives these characters lived. I would for sure pick this book up and I will be reading more books that this Author wrote.
Profile Image for T Van.
1,616 reviews28 followers
October 19, 2017
A Breath of Fresh Air

College, for many, coincides with the transition to adulthood. And after working with young adults locally here on campus, this story felt quite familiar. Identities are reformed. Relationships shift, seismically. In an instant, up is down, left is right, and nothing much can make sense for the main characters. Slade captured the insecurities, the constants, and all the growth this age group is capable of...with a lot of romance, and very little pandering. 4.5 stars!
1,326 reviews10 followers
September 27, 2017
Love is complicated and sometimes messy. It's not always so black and white. Love can also really be only infatuation, which can also be a little scary. The infatuation part was opposite of what I was expecting. This was an interesting read and it really made me think. Sometimes love is just love and it doesn't fit inside the lines. This book had a humor element too. "Willie" had just as much time in the book as Tamsyn & Rodrigo, and he made me laugh.
Profile Image for Melissa.
44 reviews1 follower
July 28, 2017
This was not what I expected in the book. Not that the description was misleading, just my interpretation of that and the title. I loved Rigosyn and their perfect compatibility for one another...just as best friends should be. I loved the genuine characters and their thought processes that led them to their HEA. I would recommend this book to everyone!
Profile Image for Valerie.
348 reviews1 follower
August 19, 2017
Great story. Very sweet and funny read (I loved the inner dialog the hero has with himself/man parts). With just the right amount of angst and emotion. The hero and heroine are both lovable and feel realistic. The story line flows eaisly and is not confusing.

Love is love and it shouldn't matter who!
Profile Image for shannon provost.
7 reviews5 followers
September 21, 2017
I love this book.... it took me a while to read but that was no fault of this book. It was funny, sweet, heart warming and real. I could relate to parts of this story and characters. I wanted more and the more I got the more I wanted even more. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. Its the perfect read for a nice relaxing weekend.
Profile Image for Deirdre Stokes.
184 reviews
September 27, 2017
I wasn't sure how this book was going to turn out, but it had me at the beginning and I just couldn't stop reading it. I really enjoyed the journey that Rodrigo and Tamsyn took me on during the reading of this book. As they found their way together and on their own about what they wanted and needed in their lives.
Profile Image for Angel Lee.
122 reviews1 follower
August 18, 2017
An amazing story that will touch your heart and soul. A love story that starts when they are kids and changes to adult love when they are older. The twists hit you right away,since he is gay though and through. Really liked the story about love is love is love.
Profile Image for Tiffany Readz.
1,816 reviews45 followers
July 14, 2016
Good Grief what did I just read??? This book was a whole mix of life and love and it turned out beautifully. Seven Slade did a great job with her characters, making me instantly like them.

Rodrigo and Tamsyn have been friends for fifteen years. He's gay and she's dating someone else. They are out at the bar one night and Rodrigo finally gets to meet the man of his dreams. The exact same night he notices how nice his best friend's boobs look in that red bra he can see through the slices in her shirt. Let the head games begin.

"My bestie is a study in contrasts. Always has been. Butch, yet feminine; hard on the outside, gooey on the inside; mean as a cottonmouth to the wrong people, sweeter than Mom's iced tea to the right ones." ~ Rodrigo

Aw this guy, even if he didn't start crushing on Tamsyn, he loves her to death. Rodrigo is quite the wordsmith and my one tiny complaint would be the discussions he has with his penis. At first is was super cute, then the appendage took on a different accent and showed up on just about every other page. Yikes and I will admit to skimming some of the penis chats.

So anyway, Rodrigo now has to figure out if he wants the sexy guy in the band or the sexy girl that has held his heart since she saved him from a bully all those years ago. He can't ask her if she likes him like that and he isn't smooth enough to make the first move. Things get pretty interesting, pretty fast.

The book is well written from dual points of view. Seven Slade gives readers everything but the kitchen sink in this book and I enjoyed every page.

Reviewed for Renee Entress's Blog.
Profile Image for Lara .
366 reviews88 followers
3.5 Stars
As much as I loved the story concept and characters in Coming Out, I unfortunately did not have an emotional reaction to it like I had expected, which made it hard to stay completely immersed as I was reading. I’m not sure it was anything to do with the writing necessarily. Aside from some of the humor that wore thin for me at times, it was written well. I think I may have been expecting more of a gut punch angsty type reaction to Rodrigo’s struggle with his sexuality. The conflict for him is certainly there and very strong, I just didn’t feel the emotion behind it. Without giving any spoilers, Tamysn has her own struggles which create conflict in her life, given the closer than close relationship with Rodrigo she has always had, and how honest he is with her about his interest with women, I was a bit surprised at a secret she was keeping. It made me falter for a moment. I think even if you can’t relate to the conflicting feelings of finding your sexual identity like Rodrigo and Tamsyn, you can certainly relate to the conflicting feelings you sometimes have about life and who you are. In the end, I can appreciate the message in Coming Out of self-love by way of breaking free of labels. Despite the labels we put on ourselves, and those others put on us, at the end of the day we are who we are, unique and beautiful people deserving of love and happiness, no matter what shape it comes in.
Profile Image for Marika.
4,284 reviews92 followers
July 22, 2016
I am struggling a lot with this review..manly because I struggled with the story..don't get me wrong, I love the message and I love Tamsyn and Rodrigo but I found it really hard to connect for a good part of the story. After I found my foot so to speak it was smooth sailing.
Rodrigo in gay, well he is sure as is his willie, but lately he can’t stop thinking about his best friend boobs..yep, only Tamsyn..but he is determined to keep pursuing Simon, the sex god he is so infatuated with.
Tamsyn loves her best friend, but she is more of a free spirit than he is and has no problems about hooking up with males and females alike.
The two together are funny and the perfect friends, but once Rodrigo starts questioning his sexuality things change.
I Def love them, especially together..And Tamsyn just makes me laugh a lot..Her humour and sarcasm just get to me.
If I have to pinpoint why I couldn't connect at the start I wouldn't be able to say... that's why I gave it 4 stars..because no matter how long It took me to connect I did and the story is really good and the characters are fantastic.
If anything else only the message about being who you are and love whoever makes you happy no matter the gender, is one I completely approved of and I wish more people would read this story and maybe learn a thing or two.
Profile Image for Krysi Foster.
8 reviews
August 18, 2016
It was NOT what I expected, and I loved it!
The dialogue and writing are witty and captivating.
Despite the serious undertones of life (graduating college, finding real jobs, etc) I found myself grinning and laughing.
I sighed with a heavy heart when texts were deleted instead of sent.
I giggled and did a fist pump when a hoped-for call finally came.
It was an emotional ride, and a fascinating twist on life.
Love IS love, and it really shouldn't matter what is between your legs. This story is an excellent reminder of that. The story is well paced and the characters are completely relatable for me. Sometimes, taking that risk and making that leap, pays off.
I was given a copy in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed it so much I bought a copy as well.
I look forward to reading more from Seven Slade!
Profile Image for Lynne.
50 reviews5 followers
July 16, 2016
This is a YA book! I normally don’t go for that type of read but I must say I enjoyed it! Tamsyn and Rodrigo have been BFF’S since they were in elementary school. They are now adults Rodrigo trying to graduate college and find a job and Tamsyn works as a garbage women. Tamsyn is the tough girl a little rough around the edges and Rodrigo is her gorgeous "gay" BFF. This book discusses relationship issues, LGBTQ, Family and just being a young adult confused. I don’t like to give away too much in a review but the more I read this book the more I liked it! I totally would recommend this read to a friend!
Profile Image for Blue.
1,428 reviews21 followers
Shelved as 'not-for-me-previewed'
July 12, 2016
The story line and writing just not for me.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
Author 1 book13 followers
July 21, 2016
A beautiful story!

Omg this by far is one on my top reads so far this year! I laughed so hard,I cried and then I thought WOW what a amazing beautiful story!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.